Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Favorite Dark Chocolate (Trader Joe's) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/757197-favorite-dark-chocolate-trader-joes.html)

slo02eeee 02-10-2012 08:25 AM

Favorite Dark Chocolate (Trader Joe's)
 
Just wanted to share my amazing discovery. I used to use the Lindt 85% dark which isn't my fave but better than nothing. Then I discovered the Godiva 72% dark chocolate with almonds. It tastes SO GOOD, but the carb count is kinda high: 17g carb, 4 g fiber for 4 squares.

THEN.. my sister told me about a delicious choice at Trader Joe's. I had previously tried their version of Dark chocolate and almond, and it was only okay. I didn't even think to check any other labels. She told me about their Dark Chocolate Truffle bar. It sounds super sugary but the info is 14g Carb and 4g Fiber per 4 squares! That's not bad at all. IT IS SO GOOD! I would warn against trying it if you have trouble controlling portions. I could EASILY eat the entire bar. It tastes as good as regular milk chocolate. I seriously couldn't believe the nutrition info but I had 2 pieces yesterday and was down a lb today.

It's only 1.99 at my trader joe's, and my godiva runs about 3.79 a bar.. So that doesn't hurt either!

What are everyone else's favorite dark chocolate treats??

PaminKY 02-10-2012 10:15 AM

My absolute favorite is Dove 71% cacao dark chocolate bar, the 3.30oz bar. The nutriton info lists the serving size as 9 pieces (42g) with 18 carbs and 4 fiber. I can sometimes find it on sale for 2/$3.00.

I make my own sometimes with 100% Ghirardelli, erythritol, and stevia and I like those even better than the Dove but I when I run out and don't have time to make more I use the Dove.

Ghislaine 02-10-2012 02:42 PM

Darn it! I was just at a Trader Joe's! I live in a state that doesn't have one so I try to drop in one when I travel. I picked up some low carb chocolate that they were selling but it's not for me. I'll have to remember to keep an eye out!

operry1 02-10-2012 03:16 PM

I love trader joe's sugar free chocolate covered almonds.

slo02eeee 02-10-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operry1 (Post 15406294)
I love trader joe's sugar free chocolate covered almonds.


Me too!! I can't stop eating them though, so I stopped buying them. they're SOOO good.

slo02eeee 02-10-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghislaine (Post 15406210)
Darn it! I was just at a Trader Joe's! I live in a state that doesn't have one so I try to drop in one when I travel. I picked up some low carb chocolate that they were selling but it's not for me. I'll have to remember to keep an eye out!

I have not had a bar from there I liked before now. This one is an exception. I can't believe they don't have Trader Joe's everywhere, ours is always packed.

Ghislaine 02-10-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slo02eeee (Post 15406314)
I have not had a bar from there I liked before now. This one is an exception. I can't believe they don't have Trader Joe's everywhere, ours is always packed.

The entire metropolitan area of our biggest city has a population of approximately 200,000 so it probably doesn't fit their population density requirements. It'd too bad because I think there's enough people here who'd buy their stuff that we could possibly support one anyway!

FitnessWanabee 02-10-2012 04:23 PM

The interesting thing is lately I've become more intolerant to sugar in terms of the sweetness. I bought 70% Lindt and it was TOO sweet for me! So I bought the 85% Lindt and it's still a tad sweet. Is there something wrong with me?

Anyways I tend to buy the big 72% Belgian imported bar(for home) and the equivalent 72% in small bars(3-pack) for work.

slo02eeee 02-10-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitnessWanabee (Post 15406438)
The interesting thing is lately I've become more intolerant to sugar in terms of the sweetness. I bought 70% Lindt and it was TOO sweet for me! So I bought the 85% Lindt and it's still a tad sweet. Is there something wrong with me?

Anyways I tend to buy the big 72% Belgian imported bar(for home) and the equivalent 72% in small bars(3-pack) for work.

i definitely think you are just getting used to it, definitely nothing wrong with you. I can only do 85% if I have only that and I have it regularly. If I have a cheat day and try even 70%, it tastes so awful! When I am in deep ketosis, any dark chocolate tastes like milk chocolate :)

My sister loves the new Lindt one that has like caramelized toffee or almonds or something. It sounds like it would be high in carbs but it's very similar to the 85% lindt I believe.

Janknitz 02-10-2012 07:33 PM

I like TJs plain 72% dark chocolate. It comes out to 4 grams of carb for a fairly large square. I break it up all at once and store it in a jar--a little easier for portion control. A square of chocolate and a cup of coffee (decaf) after dinner is a satisfying dessert to me.

I also have 85% but I mostly add that to things or on things (melt it and dribble it over whipped cream-YUM!)

creseis 02-10-2012 07:57 PM

my bf likes trader joe's, but I only will eat Lindt 90%, I'm a total addict.

Books and Cats 02-11-2012 06:35 AM

My two favorite kinds of dark chocolate are Green and Black's 85% Dark and Endangered Species "Panther" 88% Chocolate.

I agree with a couple of the people above that the typical dark chocolate level of about 70% tastes too sweet to me. I like my chocolate to be barely sweet at all.

Vilya 02-11-2012 07:31 AM

Endangered Species 88% is my new favorite! I just discovered it a couple weeks ago, and it's delicious. I like to eat a square with a little dab of natural peanut butter. :)

I also love Scharffen Berger's 82% (I think that's what it is). Yummy!

RhondaC 02-11-2012 07:41 AM

Our first Trader Joe's just opened here in Naples yesterday! The lines to get in were really long, so I didn't try yet. But, next week I'm going in to look for chocolate! :jumpjoy:

sungoddess 02-11-2012 07:41 AM

My favorite chocolate delight is Ghirardelli Sea Salt Soirée™ infused with bursts of sea salt and roasted almonds. The sea salt with the chocolate makes me happy.:jumpjoy:

slo02eeee 02-11-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Books and Cats (Post 15407555)
My two favorite kinds of dark chocolate are Green and Black's 85% Dark and Endangered Species "Panther" 88% Chocolate.

I agree with a couple of the people above that the typical dark chocolate level of about 70% tastes too sweet to me. I like my chocolate to be barely sweet at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vilya (Post 15407693)
Endangered Species 88% is my new favorite! I just discovered it a couple weeks ago, and it's delicious. I like to eat a square with a little dab of natural peanut butter. :)

I also love Scharffen Berger's 82% (I think that's what it is). Yummy!

I have never tried the endangered species one but I see them all the time! Will have to check it out.

slo02eeee 02-11-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhondaC (Post 15407709)
Our first Trader Joe's just opened here in Naples yesterday! The lines to get in were really long, so I didn't try yet. But, next week I'm going in to look for chocolate! :jumpjoy:

LOOOOVE trader joe's. Hopefully it won't stay super crowded forever. They have some really awesome stuff.

Locarbveghead 02-11-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slo02eeee (Post 15406312)
Me too!! I can't stop eating them though, so I stopped buying them. they're SOOO good.

Ditto, and ditto!

Charski 02-11-2012 02:10 PM

TJ's had these wonderful little chocolate bites - it came in a package with a cellophane window, there were I think 24 "cubes" per pack; it was 72% dark and one cube was perfect for an after-dinner nosh!

Not sure if they still have them, because I try not to keep too much chocolate in the house, but they're worth looking for if you like 72% choc.

I got a Hageland dark chocolate/pear/almond bar that is really good, one square is 6 grams net carbs and a pretty big square. Different and tasty!

Jonahsafta 02-11-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slo02eeee (Post 15404829)
Just wanted to share my amazing discovery. I used to use the Lindt 85% dark which isn't my fave but better than nothing. Then I discovered the Godiva 72% dark chocolate with almonds. It tastes SO GOOD, but the carb count is kinda high: 17g carb, 4 g fiber for 4 squares.

THEN.. my sister told me about a delicious choice at Trader Joe's. I had previously tried their version of Dark chocolate and almond, and it was only okay. I didn't even think to check any other labels. She told me about their Dark Chocolate Truffle bar. It sounds super sugary but the info is 14g Carb and 4g Fiber per 4 squares! That's not bad at all. IT IS SO GOOD! I would warn against trying it if you have trouble controlling portions. I could EASILY eat the entire bar. It tastes as good as regular milk chocolate. I seriously couldn't believe the nutrition info but I had 2 pieces yesterday and was down a lb today.

It's only 1.99 at my trader joe's, and my godiva runs about 3.79 a bar.. So that doesn't hurt either!

What are everyone else's favorite dark chocolate treats??

I took your recommendation! I picked some up Fri,,havent eaten any yet

Janknitz 02-11-2012 08:18 PM

TJ's also has tins of chocolate covered cacao nibs (at the checkout counter). These are awesome and you can have about 15 for ONE carb.

I use them in place of chocolate chips in "paleo cookie dough"--a mixture of almond butter, coconut oil, and a pinch of salt. YUM!

lynnport 02-11-2012 08:51 PM

I love the Simply Lite Dark Chocolate at Trader Joe's. 1 piece, 1/3 of a serving is all I need without almost any carbs... sometimes I eat it with a teaspoon of peanut butter. Yum!!!

Jonahsafta 02-12-2012 08:38 AM

My husband ate 1/2 of the whole bar,last night!!!! He said it was great!

slo02eeee 02-12-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonahsafta (Post 15410197)
My husband ate 1/2 of the whole bar,last night!!!! He said it was great!

LOL that is the problem, I think it is too good! glad he liked it :)

rosaphile 02-12-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnport (Post 15409539)
I love the Simply Lite Dark Chocolate at Trader Joe's. 1 piece, 1/3 of a serving is all I need without almost any carbs... sometimes I eat it with a teaspoon of peanut butter. Yum!!!

We love it too - and got two of my friends hooked on it as well. I like the milk chocolate, too - reminds me of Dove's - but my husband and friends don't care for it. I LOVE the idea of putting peanut butter on it! :yummy:

millergirl1976 02-12-2012 06:34 PM

The TJ dark chocolate covered almonds have less carbs than the sugar free ones, and they are delicious.

I am going to watch for the dark chocolate truffle bar.

Jonious 02-12-2012 07:39 PM

I'm with Beverly on the Ghiradelli Sea Salt Soiree !

slo02eeee 02-13-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnport (Post 15409539)
I love the Simply Lite Dark Chocolate at Trader Joe's. 1 piece, 1/3 of a serving is all I need without almost any carbs... sometimes I eat it with a teaspoon of peanut butter. Yum!!!

Have never seen this one! will have to hunt for it next time I go :)

DD80 02-13-2012 02:54 PM

I LOVE the TJs 100 cal dark chocolate bars. They are 72% cacao and I believe 7 g carbs for the whole bar, but 5 g fiber? If I remember correctly. I think they are delicious.

I did not know they had sugar free chocolate almonds. Looks like I will be making a trip! LOL.

okapi 02-13-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD80 (Post 15413947)
I LOVE the TJs 100 cal dark chocolate bars. They are 72% cacao and I believe 7 g carbs for the whole bar, but 5 g fiber? If I remember correctly. I think they are delicious.

I did not know they had sugar free chocolate almonds. Looks like I will be making a trip! LOL.

I happen to have a box of the 100 calorie dark chocolate bars sitting next to me right now. :o

They are 70% cacao.
Ingredients: cocoa mass, beet sugar, cocoa butter, soy lechithin, natural vanilla flavor
Calories: 100
Total Carbs: 7g
Figer: 1g
Sugars: 5g
(8g fat and 1g protein and 10% of your iron rda :))

They are good and I find that 1/2 of a bar is often sufficient (although not always, but the info isn't bad for a whole bar every once and awhile!)

I did not care for the sugar free almonds from TJ's. They had a waxy feel to me. But I LOVE the dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt and turbinado sugar. They are satisfying enough that I have been able to handle them with good portion control every once and awhile.

I also like the darker chocolates (82%, 85% and even 90%) and occasionally get a bar of one of those instead.

I enjoy dark chocolate more than milk chocolate but also think I have better success with portion control because you are supposed to let it sit and melt in your mouth rather than chew it up, so the experience and satisfaction lasts longer and just a little bit goes a longer way.

Ahhh...chocolate...:heart::love:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 PM.