Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi View Post
I happen to have a box of the 100 calorie dark chocolate bars sitting next to me right now.

They are 70% cacao.
Ingredients: cocoa mass, beet sugar, cocoa butter, soy lechithin, natural vanilla flavor
Calories: 100
Total Carbs: 7g
Figer: 1g
Sugars: 5g
(8g fat and 1g protein and 10% of your iron rda )

They are good and I find that 1/2 of a bar is often sufficient (although not always, but the info isn't bad for a whole bar every once and awhile!)

I did not care for the sugar free almonds from TJ's. They had a waxy feel to me. But I LOVE the dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt and turbinado sugar. They are satisfying enough that I have been able to handle them with good portion control every once and awhile.

I also like the darker chocolates (82%, 85% and even 90%) and occasionally get a bar of one of those instead.

I enjoy dark chocolate more than milk chocolate but also think I have better success with portion control because you are supposed to let it sit and melt in your mouth rather than chew it up, so the experience and satisfaction lasts longer and just a little bit goes a longer way.

Ahhh...chocolate...
Thanks for correcting me! I had it kind of right...

Thank you for the reviews of the sugar free chocolate almonds. I might stop by tonight and check out their options. I love TJs and am always looking at all their stuff (LOVE that they carry coconut oil now...and fig butter...but that's not low carb, but I digress), but haven't checked out the sweets in awhile. I love their butter almond thins. Too carby/sugary for most, but not bad as far as cookies go.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: okapi
WOE: Atkins-OWL
Start Date: April 9, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
Thanks for correcting me! I had it kind of right...

Thank you for the reviews of the sugar free chocolate almonds. I might stop by tonight and check out their options. I love TJs and am always looking at all their stuff (LOVE that they carry coconut oil now...and fig butter...but that's not low carb, but I digress), but haven't checked out the sweets in awhile. I love their butter almond thins. Too carby/sugary for most, but not bad as far as cookies go.
No problem...I really do have the box sitting right next to me. I suppose I should put them back in the pantry!

TJ's is great...and I bet if you inquire about the almonds they will open some and let you try so you can decide before you buy. They do stuff like that at my TJ's ALL the time.

And yes, those butter almond thins are delicious...dangerously delicious to me! I know I have seen a recipe for a simple almond cookie around here somewhere...am going to have to look that up and give it a try one of these days!

**I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.** (Patrick Henry)
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Bumping up the chocolate conversation.....VERY important topic here!!!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
TJ's had these wonderful little chocolate bites - it came in a package with a cellophane window, there were I think 24 "cubes" per pack; it was 72% dark and one cube was perfect for an after-dinner nosh!

Not sure if they still have them, because I try not to keep too much chocolate in the house, but they're worth looking for if you like 72% choc.

I got a Hageland dark chocolate/pear/almond bar that is really good, one square is 6 grams net carbs and a pretty big square. Different and tasty!
Is this the round tin w the wedge shaped pieces? I love these bc they're just the right size and easy to control portion. If I have to break a piece of a bar it's a slippery slope.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14~282/247/182
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by creseis View Post
I only will eat Lindt 90%, I'm a total addict.
Me too. I find portion control easier with the 90% and at this point in my weight loss journey I am keeping my daily carbs under 40, so there is not a lot to spend on chocolate. One square of 90% is 3 carbs and once melted or chopped, it tastes lovely with some natural PB or ricotta flavored with SF Torani's.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
Quote:
My two favorite kinds of dark chocolate are Green and Black's 85% Dark and Endangered Species "Panther" 88% Chocolate.
Those are my favs, as well! I *always* have a bar or two or three of those in my pantry.

I also love the TJ Simply Light Milk Chocolate bars, but once I start with them, I can't stop. They have such a delicious, creamy texture. With the higher cocoa count bars, a little goes a long way and they satisfy me much easier. I think the most I've ever eaten is 4 squares (also with peanut butter on top for an added treat).

Lindt now makes a 90% cocoa bar. Supreme Dark, or something like that. Very good!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappa1016 View Post
Lindt now makes a 90% cocoa bar. Supreme Dark, or something like that. Very good!
I like that one.
I also developed a taste for unsweetened chocolate with a dab of coconut butter and a frozen strawberry half in each bite. Interesting texture mix.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
if you have a World market near you, I am a fiend for their 99% bars. two squares and I am in heaven.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
For quite a while, my favorite was TJ's Chocolate Lovers Dark Chocolate bar (85% cacao). It has kind of fruity tones to it. But right now, my favorite is Green & Black's 85% cacao bar. I'll have to look for the Endangered Species chocolate. I've never seen it before.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote