Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What is your go-to stallbreaker/jumpstart? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/757045-what-your-go-stallbreaker-jumpstart.html)

doxielove 02-09-2012 12:03 PM

What is your go-to stallbreaker/jumpstart?

I know that it isn't OFFICIALLY a stall until it's been 6 weeks, but I keep losing and gaining the same pound over and over again. What's your best way to jumpstart your weightloss?

NextLevel 02-09-2012 12:12 PM

When I need a boost, I take a couple of cinnamon capsules after my biggest meal of the day for several days. Always does the trick.

sistertzu 02-09-2012 12:27 PM

A tablespoon or two of coconut oil always helps me. Don't get discouraged you have done so well!

whipper75229 02-09-2012 12:40 PM

I need this - subscribing!

Heheher 02-09-2012 12:43 PM

For me, nothing but time fixed this. I only lose weight every 6-8 weeks. The rest of the tmie I bounce up and down the same 1-3 pounds. Frustraing but it's what I have to deal with.

slo02eeee 02-09-2012 01:20 PM

This is my situation too. The same weight +/- 2 lbs for about 2-3 weeks (including TOM). Excited to see some ideas :)

doxielove 02-09-2012 01:40 PM

After reading some of the older threads, I'm considering a "fast" of only meat, eggs, and fat. No cheese or vegetables...I'm hoping sour cream counts as a fat and not dairy (anyone know?) because I really like it with pepperoni chips. Has anyone had any luck with the meat/egg/fat combo? I really, really want to get close to goal if not get to goal by summer.

Heheher 02-09-2012 02:54 PM

Doxie, I did the egg fast thing a couple of times. Each time I lost 5 pounds BUT, (you knew that was coming, ;) ) As soon as I started eating meat and veggies, I gained it back and didn't lose again until my 6-8 weeks was up.

There are some threads in the challenge section regarding fasts. Some people lose and keep it off.

jenerosity 02-09-2012 06:50 PM

Meat and eggs, eggs and meat! Until I can't stand it anymore, probably not more than a week. I'm on day 4 and losing a pound a day.

I scramble a dozen eggs with a pound or so of ground pork/sausage and put in containers to grab and go work for work.
HB eggs/egg salad
Egg-drop soup
Any meat you like
Lots of water!

I use it as a jump start. Losing that initial few pounds quickly motivates me to keep up the clean eating.

I have a few cinnamon capsule sample packs, I'll have to try that out. Thanks for the reminder.

Good luck!

Amgarrett616 02-09-2012 06:58 PM

EveryOne is different but I don't gain back after a meat/egg fast.

I'm gonna start one in a few days (I gotta eat all these veggies I bought first!)

jeaniem 02-09-2012 07:01 PM

Just started the egg/meat thing today. I am trying it to cut cravings and get into deep ketosis and take off some pounds I have gained. Weight tonight is now what it was this morning so that is a good sign.

Amgarrett616 02-09-2012 07:27 PM

Jeaniem! Lol. I do the same thing. If my weight is down in the evening, it's sure to be down in the morning. Hahaa. I find all of our similar "rituals" funny.

Good for you. I really need to do this. I wonder if a "Judd" type thing with alternating meat/egg days and Atkins days would work out?

TyeRyann 02-09-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 15403389)
Just started the egg/meat thing today. I am trying it to cut cravings and get into deep ketosis and take off some pounds I have gained. Weight tonight is now what it was this morning so that is a good sign.

I had to stop weighing myself at night, because my weight is always higher in the evenings and it kept freaking me out! :laugh:

babycakez 02-10-2012 01:32 AM

I did a meat/egg fasts and lost a good amount of weight.... 7.5lbs in 5 days! I did it the week after TOM left and she's actually visiting me right now and I'm planning to do the fast again once she's gone (well, right after VDAY) && I'm hoping to be able to loose another 7+lbs... I'll be ecstatic!!

Neapolita 02-10-2012 03:44 AM

Three days of meat and eggs has worked for me in the past. Another way I've been able to jumpstart weight loss is to have six mini-meals a day.

doxielove 02-11-2012 12:59 PM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions - I'm going to try the meat/egg and hope I don't gain it back1

slo02eeee 02-11-2012 01:34 PM

I had been "stalled" but for only 2-3 weeks, and I inadvertently had about 600 calories less than normal on Thursday, lost a lb. Then ate the same way yesterday as a test and was down 1.8 today. Not sure if that's what did it but it worked so I am gonna keep trying!

SugarFreeSheila 02-11-2012 01:37 PM

Fatty cuts of meat really do it for me. My mom's roast beef, a nice ribeye, roasting a nice big turkey breast & indulging in the skin. In the early days back when I first started Atkins, this sudden scale drop due to a certain food was known as a "Whoosh." :)

jeaniem 02-11-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila (Post 15408449)
Fatty cuts of meat really do it for me. My mom's roast beef, a nice ribeye, roasting a nice big turkey breast & indulging in the skin. In the early days back when I first started Atkins, this sudden scale drop due to a certain food was known as a "Whoosh." :)

That's funny I just roasted a turkey breast and had a hard timing eating the skin without gagging. Do you do anything special to yours?

jenerosity 02-11-2012 08:50 PM

Down 7 pounds in 6 days with meat and egg! Ketosis breath, leg cramps, and not much of an appetite.

I'm going to try one more day but I'm craving mashed cauliflower!?! :dunno:

enola 02-11-2012 08:53 PM

I just broke a nearly 8 week stall by having two VERY HIGH CARB days then going back to VLC and limiting LC convenience foods

MissMolly18 02-11-2012 09:14 PM

Honestly make sure all your food is clean. I thought I was little to no carbs and I kept gaining and losing the same pound. By accident I googled a restaurant I eat at a lot at work and found out the dressing had double the carbs I had thought. With that place gone, I am seeing results again.

Best of luck!

heidihoopi 02-12-2012 12:38 AM

An all yogurt day works for me just as well as meat and egg days.

SugarFreeSheila 02-12-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 15408485)
That's funny I just roasted a turkey breast and had a hard timing eating the skin without gagging. Do you do anything special to yours?

No! I really don't. The only thing I do to my turkey breast before putting it in the oven at 325 is pepper it and place an unsalted butter stick in the cavity. I'm always in charge of Christmas turkeys and my family just go nuts over them - but that might be just because they're relieved someone else has dealt with them. As for the turkey skin itself, I only care for the crispy parts.

A turkey breast from late fall. Will certainly use a pretty roaster for the next photo!
http://sugarfreesheila.com/images/TurkeyBreastW.jpg

Auntie Em 02-12-2012 07:18 AM

I'm with the M/E group. A bit more detail of what I do:

Beef, both muscle meat and liver/brains, and also beef fat. Eggs, esp. yolks, wild salmon, pastured butter. Very little hwc, and very little cheese, if any. A few herbs and white pepper. No preservatives, additives, prepared foods, etc. (Except for beef bacon.) Carbs at 20-30g; protein 50-75. Just enough animal fat to feel not hungry, and satisfied. Eat enough to not be bothered by hunger, but not eat to feel really full. Drink enough water. Accept the chemical/hormonal changes that give little hunger signals as part of digestion/metabolism, but not eat until really hungry.

Supplements, rest/sleep, exercise, sunshine, meditation/prayer.

The food plan as part of a nourishing life. :)

Best wishes to all. :)

jeaniem 02-12-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Accept the chemical/hormonal changes that give little hunger signals as part of digestion/metabolism, but not eat until really hungry.

Auntie Em- Just wondering what you mean here.

Auntie Em 02-12-2012 08:29 AM

Hi, Jeanie. :) I notice, for an example, that at the end of a meal, there can be a kind of appetite that comes from the insulin which has been secreted due to eating. It is not the kind of hunger that comes when I need nourishment, it is just what I call an insulin-surge appetite. I have learned not to eat just because it appears.

Before I began eating the way I do now, I thought that that insulin-surge appetite was part of being hungry and needing to eat more at a meal.

Also, there are gentle "sort-of want to eat" feelings, a few hours after a meal, or after I've had my morning tea, before I eat breakfast. My guess is that it is some kind of switch from using glycogen stores to using FFAs for energy, which means fat is being used for fuel. If I don't eat when that occurs, I will end up losing weight.

These sensations are calm, and just seem to be part of the body's normal metabolizing and digesting. They are vastly different from carb cravings or waiting way too long to eat and being super hungry.

To me, they are signals of being keto-adapted. I find them rather pleasant. :)

I had to leave quite a number of trigger foods behind before I was able to find a food plan that allowed me to "read" these responses to food, and to not eating.

Hope that explains it a bit. :)

jeaniem 02-12-2012 08:52 AM

Thanks Auntie Em. That's interesting I am guilty of eating when that feeling hits even after a full meal and then end up feeling quite disillusioned with the idea that Low Carb eating should be totally eliminating false hunger signals. It throws me to think that I ate so much and didn't want another bite to find I am hungry in an hour or two.

Auntie Em 02-12-2012 08:59 AM

Jeanie, I had that disillusionment for a long time, too. Dr. Wolfgang Lutz writes in his book, Life Without Bread, that it can take months or even years for a person's body to adjust to eating LC, and that it can take years for some things to be healed. All that time, adherence to LC is vital, for the healing to take place.

I think that, in addition to the trigger foods covering up the signals, so that I couldn't recognize the underlying process, that I needed a long time for my body to get to the point that it started doing what it needed to on VLC, in switching from glucose/glycogen to FFAs for fuel. I think that in some of us that signal switch is damaged.

I was disappointed that I didn't have the amazing benefits other folks post about, after a few weeks. I've been VLC since July 2010, and had been LC for ten years previous to that. I didn't count carbs on LC; I just avoided sweets, starches, prepared foods, additives, etc. VLC is a whole different world.

We all have different health situations, and it takes whatever it takes, for each of us to heal.

I find that I have to eat certain things, and just the right amount, as well as take supplements, get the right kind of exercise for me, rest/sleep, sunshine, water, etc.

It's a big puzzle. I work on as many pieces as I can.

I wish you success with your puzzle. :)

jeaniem 02-12-2012 09:13 AM

Right now I am eating only meat/eggs/kerrygold butter/1/2&1/2 and occasionally a piece of celery or cucumber. Do you think this is doable long term in terms of health. I remember in the past that these foods worked best and then I lose my head and try protein shakes and other lc substitutes and end up off plan:doh:. I do worry about the cravings coming back as I read so much here about so many who do great for a while and then suddenly feel hungry again.