Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bowfriends
Taco bell taco no shell carbs?

Anyone know the carb content of a taco no shell just meat and cheese?
bowfriends is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Unfortunately the taco bell website doesn't allow you to customize your food so I don't have an answer for you. The taco with the least amt of carbs is the crunchy taco(not supreme) at 12 grams.
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Well, if we can assume that a regular crunchy taco shell, by say, Ortega brand, is similar in carb count to the ones that Taco Bell uses, you can subtract the number of carbs from one shell (which according to Ortega's website is 8 total, or 6.5 net) from what's listed on their website, I think you would have a pretty good estimate. So for example, as Shari mentions, a regular crunchy taco is 12 grams - 8 (also assuming Taco Bell's online nutrition info is total, not net) you would be talking about 4 carbs for just the taco filling. Not perfect, but probably a pretty good guess.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Thanks Speck!
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: randtbrown
Stats: Current:211/189/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart December 27, 2011
Fillers in the meat???? I've always worried about that.
randtbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPALady1974 View Post
Thanks Speck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randtbrown View Post
Fillers in the meat???? I've always worried about that.
Naw, no fillers in the meat. But Taco Bell meat is seasoned using a combination of things very similar to the taco seasoning packets you can by at the store. And according to their own website the seasonings contain: Cellulose, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Salt, Oats (Contains Wheat), Maltodextrin (Corn, Potato, Tapioca), Soy Lecithin, Tomato Powder, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Sea Salt, Yeast Extract (Contains Gluten), Spices, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Potassium Chloride, Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Trehalose, Modified Corn Starch, Inactivated Yeast, Lactic Acid, Torula Yeast, Natural Smoke Flavor], Salt, Sodium Phosphate.

SO, between the small number of carbs in the straight up spices like garlic, onion and chili and in the sugar and tomato powder, the oats, corn, potato and tapioca surely account for a couple more carbs. Any added tomato or lettuce on the taco, probably account for the rest.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GennieF
Stats: restarting the restart
WOE: Atkins variation
Start Date: restarting yet again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post

Naw, no fillers in the meat. But Taco Bell meat is seasoned using a combination of things very similar to the taco seasoning packets you can by at the store. And according to their own website the seasonings contain: Cellulose, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Salt, Oats (Contains Wheat), Maltodextrin (Corn, Potato, Tapioca), Soy Lecithin, Tomato Powder, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Sea Salt, Yeast Extract (Contains Gluten), Spices, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Potassium Chloride, Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Trehalose, Modified Corn Starch, Inactivated Yeast, Lactic Acid, Torula Yeast, Natural Smoke Flavor], Salt, Sodium Phosphate.

SO, between the small number of carbs in the straight up spices like garlic, onion and chili and in the sugar and tomato powder, the oats, corn, potato and tapioca surely account for a couple more carbs. Any added tomato or lettuce on the taco, probably account for the rest.
I thought some of Taco Bell used some type of oat filler that was a big stink in the news? I had to Google (cause I don't eat Taco Bell) and found this:

Taco Bell ‘beef’ isn’t meat?! Oh, the horror | Hot Topics | an SFGate.com blog

So what exactly is Taco Bell “meat”?

“Beef, water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.”
Old 02-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bowfriends
Ok thx
bowfriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Hope that helped bowfriends.

Gennie, yah, that was quite a stink a few months ago. I don't know exactly how that was resolved, but like I posted above, straight from Taco Bell's website, the seasonings do have (powdered) oats in them, but it's not like they are using oatmeal or something to bulk up their meat. I omitted the first two ingredients from their website for their seasoned beef, which are 1) beef and 2) water. #3 was "Seasonings" and then that big ole long list I posted.

I don't eat at Taco Bell, I don't own Taco Bell stock. I have no interest other than the truth.
I
Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GennieF
Stats: restarting the restart
WOE: Atkins variation
Start Date: restarting yet again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Hope that helped bowfriends.

Gennie, yah, that was quite a stink a few months ago. I don't know exactly how that was resolved, but like I posted above, straight from Taco Bell's website, the seasonings do have (powdered) oats in them, but it's not like they are using oatmeal or something to bulk up their meat. I omitted the first two ingredients from their website for their seasoned beef, which are 1) beef and 2) water. #3 was "Seasonings" and then that big ole long list I posted.

I don't eat at Taco Bell, I don't own Taco Bell stock. I have no interest other than the truth.
I
Just had to LOL at your disclaimer!! I don't eat Taco Bell either so I just remember the stink and thinking "Oh, so that must be why their food is so cheap!" lol.
GennieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GennieF View Post
Just had to LOL at your disclaimer!! I don't eat Taco Bell either so I just remember the stink and thinking "Oh, so that must be why their food is so cheap!" lol.
You know it would make sense. lol But I really think they can keep their prices low because they use so little of it (the meat) in general! Naturally, I had to go look it up and see what happened, and the law firm that filled suit against Taco Bell last year dropped the case because they didn't have a case after all, because their premiss (that TB beef wasn't mostly meat) was simply untrue.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Two different taco mix Ing list: Ortega with 4gr carb per Tablespoon of mix: Yellow Corn Flour, Salt, Maltodextrin, Paprika, Spices, Modified Corn Starch, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color (sulfites & McCormick with 3 gr per 2 teaspoon of mix: SPICES (INCLUDING CHILI PEPPER, CUMIN, OREGANO, AND RED PEPPER), ONION, WHEY SOLIDS (MILK), SALT, SUGAR, PAPRIKA, GARLIC, POTATO STARCH, AND CITRIC ACID
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I would stay away from taco bell.I do believe they have fillers. I saw the other day their taco salad minus shell still has like 48g carbs! There HAS to be something other than meat in their "meat". You would be better off with a chicken taco I think. If you had to.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
They used to have a really good nutrition calculator. I don't remember the exact amount but I remember it was between 2-5 carbs. I eat taco bell 3 times a week. The taco salad also has rice and tortilla chips inside the shell. That's why the taco salad is so carby.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
The best thing I have found to get at Taco bell is their SOFT STEAK TACO.It has the least carbs.Of course don`t eat the tortilla.I get 3 and make a salad out of it. It seems like it was 6 carbs for the 3 which made a big salad.HTH.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: terri73
WOE: LC
Start Date: 8.23.10
The reason a taco salad would have loads of carbs wo a shell is because it now comes with retried beans and rice. It isn't as bad if you lose those two things along with the shell. You have to watch too because sometimes they add those red tortilla strips. Yuck!
terri73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #17

Gallery: Tabbz82
Stats: 214.5/207/140
WOE: Low Carb-ish - no processed foods for me!
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
I hate taco bell. My stomach hurts EVERY time I eat there. I bet there is something to them having fillers in their "meat" yuck!
Tabbz82 is offline   Reply With Quote