LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KimmieCat
Stats: 224/166/150
WOE: Low-carb/no processed food
Start Date: 13 January 2012
Trouble digesting meat

Hi Everyone, I've been lurking here for a few weeks and have gained a lot from your experiences and suggestions, but I am currently having a problem that I would love some advice on.

I started Atkins Induction on January 13th. After getting through the Induction Flu, I started to feel great and lost 9 pounds in a week and a half. I loved not having the blood sugar swings. Then I plateaued for 10 days. My husband suggested that I had been gradually increasing my salad and veggie portions too much and that perhaps I should cut back.

I've never been a big meat eater because too much usually doesn't sit well with me. But I did increase my meat intake and decreased the veggies to the recommended (small) portions. I did that for several days until one night after dinner I felt bloated, gaseous, and sick. I drank lots of water hoping it would go away.

I woke up the next morning and still felt bloated and sick. The last thing I wanted to do was eat meat or cheese or eggs or even my beloved veggies. I only wanted toast. The rest of the day was very uncomfortable and I just wasn't hungry at all. I ate 1.5 Atkins bars just to have something to eat. It just felt like this food was sitting in my digestive system and not moving. I felt terrible.

Today I started to feel a little better, but gave in and bought an Asian Chicken Salad (22 net carbs) rather than eat the VLC way I was eating. I also bought some Greek yogurt, thinking that will help.

I've read Taubes book so I know this is the right way to eat, but it is not agreeing with my digestion. I know I do better with lean chicken and fish, but then I worry that I am not getting enough fat in my diet.

Anyone have any advice? Suggestions? Are there ways to do Atkins and cut down my meat intake? (I can do some cheese, but too much causes the same problem.)

I appreciate any help that you can offer me! Cheers!
KimmieCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Try betain hcl and digestive enzymes before meals. Netrition sells both.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pzins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart Dec 2010
I have the same problem. I have to take a supplemental digestive aid like acidophilus to help break down the food (especially meat). I had a steak last night and did not take my supplement and I paid the price! Digestive enzymes are great!
pzins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
If you're fine with lean meat and fish, then eat those and get your fat in another way. You can cook your fish in butter, saute your veggies in coconut oil, etc. There are plenty of ways to get fat into your diet. Also, there's a lot you can do with eggs. You can definitely do Atkins without a ton of meat.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I'm glad to know I'm not alone with this. I've never been able to eat pork because of how I react and now it seems to be spreading to beef as well.

What is it like taking the digestive enzymes? Are there any side effects I should be wary of? I hate to sound like some oversensitive thing, but I tend to shy away from supplements because they often make me feel weird.

I'll have to try those ideas for augmenting my diet with fat. It might entail tracking my meals more carefully to make sure I am getting enough. I've been kind of winging it..."well, I've had three slices of bacon and a bunless burger today and some cheese and eggs so I must be doing fine."

Cheers!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieCat View Post
I'm glad to know I'm not alone with this. I've never been able to eat pork because of how I react and now it seems to be spreading to beef as well.

What is it like taking the digestive enzymes? Are there any side effects I should be wary of? I hate to sound like some oversensitive thing, but I tend to shy away from supplements because they often make me feel weird.

I'll have to try those ideas for augmenting my diet with fat. It might entail tracking my meals more carefully to make sure I am getting enough. I've been kind of winging it..."well, I've had three slices of bacon and a bunless burger today and some cheese and eggs so I must be doing fine."

Cheers!
Betain hcl is because most of us don't make enough stomach acid. Digestive enzymes are to supplement your natural digestive enzymes. Neither should cause any problem unless you take too much (which is fairly hard to do). I take 2 of each before meals and am thinking about increasing both.

If you burp a lot after meals, have acid reflux or heartburn, or feel bloated after eating, you probably need both.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BuffetLover
Stats: 198/191/155
WOE: Trying To Eat Less Food
Start Date: January 2012
How about giving tea a try?

How about trying the Super Dieter's Tea by Laci Le Beau. It helps by helping eliminate impurities and it is caffeine free. Follow the instruction as directed. Start off by steeping (for only two minutes) 12oz and only drinking 6oz. after your dinner

Save the other 6oz in the refridge so you can drink it the next night either cold or hot. Remember read the directions and follow them. Let me know how it works for you. I have started drinking again because I feel fat and bloated. I see that I start having regular bowel movements and makes it me mentally and physically feel good knowing all the food is not hanging around the intestines just waiting for my vessels to absorb all those toxins. I understand that meat takes forever (maybe 5 days ) to complete digestion and I don't need that . I guess, that's where the emzymes come in handy. I think our body makes emzymes but not enough to digest all of the processed foods that we eat so supplements can help. Check out the different types... ones that digest everything.. I guess.

I used to take Papaya and pineapple are natural emzymes. Good Luck
BuffetLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I had the same problem early on, I took bile acid factors it helped so much.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoJo404
WOE: PP
Start Date: June 2010
Umm.. maybe you just need to add the veggies and salads back in? You made a change in reaction to a pretty predictable stall. Weight loss will slow after the first couple of weeks and I've seen many on here talk about a stall right after that.
JoJo404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
Try betain hcl and digestive enzymes before meals. Netrition sells both.
Ah, you beat me to it I had a hair analysis done by my doctor and she found out through that, that I needed the betaine hcl with pepsin to help me digest proteins. I take them after meals though. I have not noticed a single thing when I take them, so they have no negative effect on me. I got that at my local health food store so I didn't have to wait on shipping.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: domesticbliss
Stats: 221/193/a fit 160 @ 5'7''
WOE: Atkins/Atkins '72
Start Date: January 2012; Recommit Everyday
someone beat me to the digestive enzyme suggestion... they really help me since I've had my gallbladder removed. I like Enzymatic Therapy, they're the highest quality and highest strength I've found, there's a range of strengths in their lines...
are you eating a lot of cooked cruciferous vegetables? some people have trouble with those, hence Beano was created.
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Oh thank you for all the great suggestions. I looked more into the supplements and they seem like something that will help a lot. We have a great batural foods store in town that will help me find them . Cooked up some chicken tonight and bought a bag of frozen shrimp. The salad I had for lunch made me feel a lot better too. So I'll up the veggies but try to stay within limits.
I joined ****** to help me with that too. Would like to stay in induction longer, but if I feel better eating bigger salads and more veggies then I will go that way.

I'm just happy to feel better tonight. Cheers.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweepy
Stats: 157
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restarted 6/14
If you want to track your fat, protein, cal., and carb intake better I use CRON-O-Meter. I love it and its perfect for keeping track.
sweepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I agree with Maryo ... eat the lean food you enjoy and just add butter and oils!!!

You can do this!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jemmi
Stats: 268/253.5/248 (mini-goal)
WOE: Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Food Plan
Start Date: August 6, 2013
Are you a blood type A? According to the blood type book, A's don't handle proteins that well. A/B's should do okay, and B's do well with leaner cuts of protein (if I'm remembering correctly), and O's do great with protein.

Just a thought...

Last edited by jemmi; 02-09-2012 at 10:01 PM..
jemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
Camminatore del Vento

Gallery: Edin
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: November 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmi View Post
Are you a blood type A? According to the blood type book, A's don't handle proteins that well. A/B's should do okay, and B's do well with leaner cuts of protein (if I'm remembering correctly), and O's do great with protein.

Just a thought...
i am type A blood and heavy meat is just miserable for me. i do very well with chicken or turkey, and if i have beef i can only have small amnts or have it ground. type A people produce less acid in the stomach so the heavy meats are hard to digest.

type O people produce a lot of stomach acid, and they can handle heavy meats.
Edin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sidhartha
Stats: 240/219/200
WOE: LC/Paleo mostly
Start Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmi View Post

Just a thought...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edin View Post
i am type A blood and heavy meat is just miserable for me. i do very well with chicken or turkey, and if i have beef i can only have small amnts or have it ground. type A people produce less acid in the stomach so the heavy meats are hard to digest.

type O people produce a lot of stomach acid, and they can handle heavy meats.
I'm blood type A and have never noticed a problem with red meat, but I don't like eating a lot of it by itself, usually have always included veggies/fruit, and always fermented foods/beverage now.

Last edited by sidhartha; 02-10-2012 at 10:50 AM..
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
Welcome!!! I love your name, my quote is from the book.

Thanks for the reminder, yes fermented foods help too, and taste great!
It has been a favorite book of mine since I first read it decades ago (my, time flies).

It surprises me that there is not more mention of fermented foods than is here on LCF. The probiotics really do aid in the digestion in a huge way. They have greatly affected my health & well being, not neccessarily in the area of weight loss though.

Last edited by sidhartha; 02-10-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhartha View Post
It has been a favorite book of mine since I first read it decades ago (my, time flies).

It surprises me that there is not more mention of fermented foods than is here on LCF. The probiotics really do aid in the digestion in a huge way. They have greatly affected my health & well being, not neccessarily in the area of weight loss though.
I have a fermentation crock and make sauerkraut, and I use miso paste a couple times a week (with chicken bone broth I've made) as a drink with lunch. I love fermented foods.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Oddly enough, I have Type O blood. I did check into the Blood Type diet once before and was shocked at how poorly the recommendations matched with what I know works (and doesn't work) for me. I felt like I should have a different blood type (can't remember which one now).

I love pickles and salsa, so it won't be hard to add those in to my diet. Yum!

I've indeed cut back on the heavy meat and feel better already. But it's hard not to be frustrated when my husband can eat lots of meat and loses weight every couple days. Meanwhile, I cut back on the meat, add a little broccoli, and find my weight just flatlines. (I've been tracking and see that every flatline is proceeded by a loss...it's like my body needs to adjust to the new level.) And I know everyone's metabolism is different, but boy, there is a difference between knowing something and truly accepting it.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I have a fermentation crock and make sauerkraut, and I use miso paste a couple times a week (with chicken bone broth I've made) as a drink with lunch. I love fermented foods.
I have Sally Fallon's book 'Nourishing Traditions'; it's a good place to start. I've improved/modified upon many of her basic recipes, like deli pickles, and kraut; there's sooooo much info out there from people who are doing; I've perfected my beet kvass from much reading and research on the web.

I do nearly all of my fermenting in 3.3 litre jars w/rubber gaskets/wire snap lids, spillover I put into qt, pt, and 1/2 pt jars and give away.

My Dad and brother are hooked on the pickles and kvass.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieCat View Post
...I love pickles and salsa, so it won't be hard to add those in to my diet. Yum!...
Kimmie, these are not your standard run of the mill pickles and salsa;contains NO vinegar and you almost for certain have to make your own to have a good quality probiotic food. Usually takes 3-5 days for the fermentation process and then a few more days in the fridge to give osmosis time to even the salt & spices throughout.

Last edited by sidhartha; 02-10-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Old 02-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Ah. Well that's a whole different matter then. There's a lot about this to learn I guess. Not sure I have the wherewithal to look into that right now, but I will keep it in mind. Is it something I could get from a natural food store?

On another note, I made a yummy shrimp dish in loads of butter and garlic with a little tomato and served it over broccoli. Delicious and made me very happy.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhartha View Post
I have Sally Fallon's book 'Nourishing Traditions'; it's a good place to start. I've improved/modified upon many of her basic recipes, like deli pickles, and kraut; there's sooooo much info out there from people who are doing; I've perfected my beet kvass from much reading and research on the web.

I do nearly all of my fermenting in 3.3 litre jars w/rubber gaskets/wire snap lids, spillover I put into qt, pt, and 1/2 pt jars and give away.

My Dad and brother are hooked on the pickles and kvass.
Please post your recipes on the recipe thread! I've used a lot of the recipes in Nourishing Traditions, and we love the beet kvass. The kraut wasn't a great success for us. The pickles--well, I can't help it, I love the crunchy kosher dills from the deli and I couldn't get mine to turn out as well. I'd love to see what works for you.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Please post your recipes on the recipe thread! I've used a lot of the recipes in Nourishing Traditions, and we love the beet kvass. The kraut wasn't a great success for us. The pickles--well, I can't help it, I love the crunchy kosher dills from the deli and I couldn't get mine to turn out as well. I'd love to see what works for you.
Absolutely, I will do that tiva. I've been thinkin' about it anyway.

I have learned a WHOLE lot over the past year, and enjoyed it too.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
This woe should be pleasuable. Why not just go back to more vegies?

I cannot eat mostly meat and 3-4 oz is plenty for a meal. If I eat more it sits like lead and I lose energy quickly. Not worth it.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
Different things work for different people, but I thought I'd share my experience. I used to think I was having trouble tolerating meat. I've been vegetarian several times in the past and in between was an infrequent meat eater. It seemed like whenever I ate meat I felt nauseous, bloated, and would have reflux symptoms. I started low carb hesitantly because of this but was determined to try it because none of the conventional stuff was helping my blood pressure and weight.

At first I stuck to leaner meats like chicken and seafood and got my fats from olive oil, nuts, olives, avocados, and cheese. I started carefully adding in small amounts of red meat, but was afraid to try pork because in the past it was always the biggest cause of my GI symptoms. My first month or so on low carb, I still would have GI symptoms but they weren't as bad.

A month or two into low carbing I cut out the small amount of wheat I was still eating after reading Wheat Belly. Within a few days, I noticed I had no GI symptoms at all. When I thought about how I used to eat, I realized I often had meat with grains - such as sandwiches or bread on the side with a meal. After being wheat free for a few weeks, I tried some of the meats I thought caused my problems and had NO issues at all.

So I think my meat intolerances were actually issues I was having with the grains I ate with my meat. I would get tested to be positive, but I really don't want to eat wheat anymore since I feel so horrible when I do eat it.

I have no idea if this may be an issue for you, but in case it is, I thought I'd share my experiences. I actually tolerate meat very well now (6 months into a low carb lifestyle) and joke that I've become a carnivore!