LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Low carb on a VERY tight budget..

I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to start another tread about it.

This next two weeks are CRAZY tight for Patrick and I.
I need your favorite and CHEAPEST meal that is low carb.. I am doing SoBe so lots of veggies are ok but I love Atkins too so please share!

All I can think of is roasted whole chicken right now.. and whatever veggies are on sale. I used to find good deals on huge bags of mixed veggies and pull out the carrots to give to my furbaby.

I REALLY hate Walmart meat but I will be just grinning and dealing with it for now. I can't make myself use their hamburger "tubes" though.

What's your fav. go to budget meal?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
A mock danish is cheap and easy to make for breakfast - only an egg and 2oz of cream cheese per meal.

A box of frozen turkey burgers is cheap and you can add whatever cheap veggies you like with it.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Amber..
I like ground turkey fine.. but I never see the burgers! Here the turkey is only JennyO I think and it's pretty expensive.. Unfortunately I live 3 miles from the main gate for Disney and all the grocery stores have major hiked prices.

I am thinking also about cheap cuts of meat and using a crock pot. I have not got it out in ages.

Thanks for the mock danish idea. I've not made one in over a year!. They are so good too.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
Eggs are one of the cheapest sources of protein .13 an egg.....pork is the also a very good buy between $1.28 and $ 1.98 a lb.
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: joplum
Stats: S 252/G 180
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 2012
canned meats like tuna or chicken are cheap......
you can make sandwitches with iceburg lettuce, meat, chesse, veggie and mayo rolled up in the middle...... (my fav and a great lunch or meal on the go!) I use wax paper wrapped around the lettuce to hold it all together
look for meat and veggie sales.....
joplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
I shop Kroger (or, less frequently, Randalls/TomThumb) late at night. They have great clearance prices on already cut up veggies, and meat. Last night, I got hwc for .50! I got 3 packages of sliced apples and cheese cubes (not low carb, but I have 3 teens) for $2.49 each. I got 2 large containers of fresh spinach for 75 cents each. And a veggie tray with broc, celery, snap peas, tomatoes, and carrots (kids will eat) for 5.99 (including the ranch dip). That is less than if I purchased the veggies and processed them myself. We'll eat that long before the veggies turn questionable.

The meat I buy is both on sale AND marked down another 30 to 50%. A couple of weeks ago, I got premium rib eye steaks normally priced at $30 for a package of 3-4 for just under $10 each.

The key, though, is to only get these types of items and buy staples at a place known for consistently low staples.

No Fat Summer Challenge - Goal: 175 by Summer

March 1 - 205 (going on a vacation in February)
April 1 - 195
May 1 - 187
June 1 - 180
June 21 - 175
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: Your guess is as good as mine...
Start Date: Start date: Constantly!
On cheap weeks I survive on tuna, eggs, broccoli (frozen), cauliflower (frozen), shreadded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes a bottle of salad dressing and mayo. The hamburger at our Super Duper Wallymart is more expensive than at our grocery store (same with chicken) so I refuse to buy Walmart meats. Are there cheaper grocery stores as you fan out from Disney? It may be worth a little drive once a week.

Last edited by Becky; 02-03-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Joanne.. I miss our Kroger! They are not down here but I wonder if Publix does this.. how late at night are we talking?

Fozzie..
we are having egg salad in blanched cabbage leaves tonight. I actually REALLY like this meal. VERY cheap too. I want more egg ideas. I am doing a quiche I think for Brunch on Sunday with some leftover ham I have stashed in the freezer.

JoPlum..
Man I am SO tuna"ed" out right now. I usually love tuna but I have been using the pouches for lunches all week.. Maybe I could figure out some kind of salad.. I used to make tuna croquettes too.. they are not too expensive...

Thanks everyone!
keep em' coming.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Becky I was just on line looking around... there is an "Aldi" close that is supposed to be a very good bargain place.. it's about a half hour. If I could save $20 bucks it would be worth the drive. I think I am going to check it out on Sunday.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mztymarie
Stats: 230/192/180/165
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 13 2012
I make my famous ground tukey taco salad. Saute Green Peppers and onions. sesason meat. I use either iceburg lettuce or even cabbage sometimes, topped with shredded cheese and bacon bits, diced tomatoes and sour cream! The kids and hubby will love it with doritos to scoop it up! All for about 15 bucks!

p.s can someone PLEEEEAAZZE give me detailed steps of how to post a thread?!

Last edited by mztymarie; 02-03-2012 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Left that out
mztymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mztymarie View Post
I make my famous ground tukey taco salad. Saute Green Peppers and onions. sesason meat. I use either iceburg lettuce or even cabbage sometimes, topped with shredded cheese and bacon bits, diced tomatoes and sour cream! The kids and hubby will love it with doritos to scoop it up!

p.s can someone PLEEEEAAZZE give me detailed steps of how to post a thread?!
Sounds good!
As far as the new thread.. there should be a blue oval button on the top left hand side of any forum to start a new thread..
Old 02-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mztymarie
Stats: 230/192/180/165
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 13 2012
Thanks
mztymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: Your guess is as good as mine...
Start Date: Start date: Constantly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Becky I was just on line looking around... there is an "Aldi" close that is supposed to be a very good bargain place.. it's about a half hour. If I could save $20 bucks it would be worth the drive. I think I am going to check it out on Sunday.
I do my "far reaching" shopping on Friday mornings, it is about a 1/2 drive but the bargins are well worth it.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I do my "far reaching" shopping on Friday mornings, it is about a 1/2 drive but the bargins are well worth it.
I hate shopping on the weekends but right now I have to have someone with me (my DH) while I am there to bolster my confidence to not buy anything I don't need. Once I am further along again I don't have any problem at the stores.. even if I am hungry. I will be curious to see what there meat is like at Aldi!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mztymarie View Post
Thanks
Did you get it!?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustPeachy
Stats: 242/216/155
WOE: LC
Start Date: Nov. 2011
I love my Aldi's! I got avocados for .89c each, 2 broccoli crowns for .99c, 3 bell peppers (red, green, yellow) for 1.99. Most of their produce is very reasonable and you can go online to their website and see the local specials.

I get most of my cheese there too, especially string cheese, mozzarella, havarti. I got some frozen italian sausage for 2.79 and eggs were 1.19.

Start at Aldi's and fill in what you don't find at your WalMart. And if it's your first trip take a handful of bags to put your stuff in unless you want to purchase bags, and take a quarter so you can "rent" your shopping cart. When you return the cart you get your quarter back.

Oh, my fav. on the cheap meal is to take hot dogs and make a slit in the centers but not cutting all the way through. Stuff a hunk of cheddar or cheese that you like in the middle and wrap with a slice of bacon. Bake until the bacon is crisp. I used to do these on top of bbq baked beans but the beans are a no-no these days.

Fried bologna is always yummy too! HTH
JustPeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPeachy View Post
I love my Aldi's! I got avocados for .89c each, 2 broccoli crowns for .99c, 3 bell peppers (red, green, yellow) for 1.99. Most of their produce is very reasonable and you can go online to their website and see the local specials.

I get most of my cheese there too, especially string cheese, mozzarella, havarti. I got some frozen italian sausage for 2.79 and eggs were 1.19.

Start at Aldi's and fill in what you don't find at your WalMart. And if it's your first trip take a handful of bags to put your stuff in unless you want to purchase bags, and take a quarter so you can "rent" your shopping cart. When you return the cart you get your quarter back.

Oh, my fav. on the cheap meal is to take hot dogs and make a slit in the centers but not cutting all the way through. Stuff a hunk of cheddar or cheese that you like in the middle and wrap with a slice of bacon. Bake until the bacon is crisp. I used to do these on top of bbq baked beans but the beans are a no-no these days.

Fried bologna is always yummy too! HTH
Thank you SO much for the tips on Aldis!!! It really sounds like a place I can save some cash! Love the deal with "renting" a shopping cart. I would have never thought of extra bags either.. I have like three in the car but that won't be enough. That's a STEAL for avo! I spend like $1.75 a piece on them and just deal with it because I NEED them. I will freak if they are that cheap there. I am EXCITED!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shedevil13
Stats: 170/170/140
WOE: Whatever Works! Back to Induction.
Start Date: Jan 1, 2013
I've been living off this last week of Eggs, cream cheese, whipping cream, a sf davinici syrup, Bag of TVP, frozen veggies, 8 oz cheddar cheese.

Kind of looks like this...
Scrambled eggs with cheese and some spices for breakfast
Soup with some bullion and frozen veggies. Pretty filling and you can add an egg also for additional protein.
Crepes with raspberry whipping cream/cream cheese filling
Whipping cream with davinci for dessert/sweet
shedevil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedevil13 View Post
I've been living off this last week of Eggs, cream cheese, whipping cream, a sf davinici syrup, Bag of TVP, frozen veggies, 8 oz cheddar cheese.

Kind of looks like this...
Scrambled eggs with cheese and some spices for breakfast
Soup with some bullion and frozen veggies. Pretty filling and you can add an egg also for additional protein.
Crepes with raspberry whipping cream/cream cheese filling
Whipping cream with davinci for dessert/sweet
I like the idea of adding frozen veggies to the bullion.. I have some good bullion actually in the fridge.

How are you doing your crepes?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Hi there!! I know what you mean about being on a tight budget.. I have been helping my son a lot lately with his bills and food and such and it has taken a huge hit on my bank account!! Here is a link to the thread that has a lot of great ideas.. It has links to several budget threads.. It is sure to help you.. If this thread becomes huge with new ideas and such please let me know and I will add it to that thread as well!!

Eating within your low carb budget.. Several threads included

Take care!!

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tcalhoun72
Stats: 300/205/140 5'4"- Age 39
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/2011
You can go to Aldi's website and look at their weekly ad. In my area, avocados are on sale for 49 cents each this week.
tcalhoun72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalhoun72 View Post
You can go to Aldi's website and look at their weekly ad. In my area, avocados are on sale for 49 cents each this week.

Temporary moment of awe and disbelief!...

OMG.. I am going to check it out RIGHT now!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Frittatas are great cheap meals. Saute veggies of your choice in an oven proof frying pan while you heat the broiler in the oven. Whip up six eggs and add them to the pan. As they set on the bottom, place the pan under the broiler to cook the top. You can add cheese in with the eggs or sprinkle in on top if you want.

Soup is another. See if you can get a few soup bones at your local store--a few dollars worth will do. Put the bones in a pot with carrots, onions, and celery, enough water to cover and cook for a very long time (I love to use the crockpot on this). Good, nourishing soup. You can add veggies and scraps of meat for a meal.

We buy the roasted chickens at the grocery store (often on sale), but since we get at least three meals from one roasted chicken, they are very frugal for us (sometimes cheaper than a raw whole chicken but compare to see). The first night we eat the dark meat parts (we love dark meat, don't like white meat that much). The second night we cut up the remaining chicken and make chicken pot pie (with an almond flour crust). And then we put the carcass in the crock pot and make soup. I usually save odd bits of chicken bones and skin in the freezer until we have enough for soup. I love chicken "noodle" soup--the noodles in my case are very thin shreds of zucchini.

If a raw, whole chicken is cheaper, you can roast it yourself in the crockpot AND there will be enough liquid and carcass to make soup as well. Slow Cooker Roast Chicken with Crispy Skin
I hate roasting chicken in the oven because it always makes a mess and having no vent it always sets off our smoke alarm!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Hi there!! I know what you mean about being on a tight budget.. I have been helping my son a lot lately with his bills and food and such and it has taken a huge hit on my bank account!! Here is a link to the thread that has a lot of great ideas.. It has links to several budget threads.. It is sure to help you.. If this thread becomes huge with new ideas and such please let me know and I will add it to that thread as well!!

Eating within your low carb budget.. Several threads included

Take care!!

cheri
Thank you dollface!

It's good to see you. That's a great thread. It is something (budget) that is talked about here often! LC on a budget it totally doable.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Just wanted to add...

Love Aldi too (we don't have them here though)

AND-
Don't forget to take your leftover chicken carcus and turn it into a second super healthy meal of soup.

I toss all bones (of the same type) in a ziplock in the freezer until I have enough to make broth/stock and then I use my crockpot to make the stock so I don't have to stay home and watch it. It takes longer and you have to leave the lid tilted or it won't evaporate off at all, but otherwise, just make it as you normally would. (I always add a little vinegar to help leach the calcium out of the bones) I save glass jars from other things and pour off the broth into those, one goes in the fridge the rest in the freezer and I always have chicken broth without paying for it and its better for us too.
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
I hate roasting chicken in the oven because it always makes a mess and having no vent it always sets off our smoke alarm!
I though it was just me doing something horribly wrong! I love my oven roasted chicken the skin is so crispy delicious, but afterward my oven smokes and the alarm goes off for weeks till i finally either quit using the oven or attack it with the foaming spray!!!

But home roast chicken is a great cheap food. Rubber chicken. I like to eat the skin, legs and wings first, the the next meal is the breast with some kind of fat like butter or mayo, chicken salad or what, After that, gleaning the carcass for bits of meat, the boil the bones for broth. Yay! Love me some roast chicken!! I can't wait for them to go on sale again for less than 89c/lb otherwise leg quarters are good too usually can be found for 69c/lb, and still keep the bones for broth.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydawne View Post
Just wanted to add...

Love Aldi too (we don't have them here though)

AND-
Don't forget to take your leftover chicken carcus and turn it into a second super healthy meal of soup.

I toss all bones (of the same type) in a ziplock in the freezer until I have enough to make broth/stock and then I use my crockpot to make the stock so I don't have to stay home and watch it. It takes longer and you have to leave the lid tilted or it won't evaporate off at all, but otherwise, just make it as you normally would. (I always add a little vinegar to help leach the calcium out of the bones) I save glass jars from other things and pour off the broth into those, one goes in the fridge the rest in the freezer and I always have chicken broth without paying for it and its better for us too.
All of that she said! Oh and I beg for turkey ( and ham) carcasses from my family after thanksgiving and Christmas to do the same thing. I LOVE jellied Turkey broth!!!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #28

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
eggs eggs eggs eggs eggs
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Daisy - I LOVE your Blue graphic for "temporary moment of awe and disbelief." I miss Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends."
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LAGril
Stats: 235/163/130
WOE: strict old school Atkins
Start Date: May 17, 2009
Aldi's prices are typically great for items like eggs, cheese, cream cheese, milk, spices, vegetables, pork rinds, cleaning supplies, paper goods, etc.

Their frozen meats -- chicken parts, fish, sea food -- can be good deals, although sometimes I can find better deals at the regular grocery store.

Aldi's fresh meat is usually not such a bargain. I almost always can find lower cost fresh meat at the local grocer. Also, the Aldi fresh meat typically contains a "solution" of water, flavoring agents and who knows what else. So, not only is one getting adulterated meat, but one is paying for the privilege of getting added water.

Aldi's bacon prices are generally below that at the local grocer, although I try to stock up when the regular grocer has bacon as a loss leader or get it in bulk at Costco. That said, for your immediate situation, the Aldi's bacon is a good deal.

Good luck and welcome back!
LAGril is offline   Reply With Quote