LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CinAngel75
Stats: 5'7-174 (1/22/14) Goal: 140
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/22/2014
Carb Flu??

I have a question and hope someone can help. I started basically the South Diet..Tuesday will be my 2 week mark. On Tuesday, my week 1 weigh in I was down 7 lbs (5'7 from 176 to 169)

Wednesday, I woke up with a headache. I took 1/2 a pain pill and it didn't help, ate lunch, took a migrating pill, no good. By 2 I was so nauseas I had to come home from work and ended up getting sick.

Since then it has improved some but I'm still having a lot of almost waves of nausea and mild headaches.

After almost 2 weeks could this be what everyone refers to as the "carb flu"? I expected that to be over before now. I'm completely miserable right now

Any suuggestions are welcome and appreciated

Thanks and have a great weekend!
Cindy
CinAngel75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sorry to hear you are unwell. Your symptoms do not sound like 'induction flu' which are signs of going into the state of ketosis.

If someone has been in ketosis for a while and has a 'carb indulgence' (i.e. off plan food) , they may get similar symptoms to what you are describing. Is that what has happened with you? If so there is nothing to be done but ride it out and get back on plan a.s.a.p..

Hope you are feeling better.

Last edited by clackley; 01-28-2012 at 06:24 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Sorry to hear you are unwell. Your symptoms do not sound like 'induction flu' which are signs of going into the state of ketosis.

If someone has been in ketosis for a while and has a 'carb indulgence' (i.e. off plan food) , they may get similar symptoms to what you are describing. Is that what has happened with you? If so there is nothing to be done but ride it out and get back on plan a.s.a.p..

Hope you are feeling better.
Hi Clackey,
I haven't had anything that isn't on the diet. On Wed. When I was so sick I did have a few sips of regular sprite and 2 Pcs of golf ball size bread trying to settle my stomach enough to be able to sleep but that was well after I felt sick.
Ssince then I haven't really cheated either. That's why I thought this would have been over.
It's messing me up with going to the gym and it's very hard not to "cheat..when you're nauseous the last thing you want is meat or eggs
Old 01-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kalania
Stats: (210)200/165
WOE: Low Sugar/Wheat
Start Date: restart January 1st 2012
I know how you feel....I feel just awful today. tired and achey....exhausted. chances are though I am detoxing (I am day 8.....I got started later then I meant to). It could be you are having a late detox. I am drinking only a little coffee and eating a little cheese...don't want to eat much at all.
Kalania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinAngel75 View Post
Hi Clackey,
I haven't had anything that isn't on the diet. On Wed. When I was so sick I did have a few sips of regular sprite and 2 Pcs of golf ball size bread trying to settle my stomach enough to be able to sleep but that was well after I felt sick.
Ssince then I haven't really cheated either. That's why I thought this would have been over.
It's messing me up with going to the gym and it's very hard not to "cheat..when you're nauseous the last thing you want is meat or eggs
I don't know - your symptoms really don't sound right for induction flu. Sorry in advance but all I can think is that you may be pregnant. Is that a possibility?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Your symptoms seem to extreme, IMO/expereince, to be "carb flu". For me at least, my carb flu occurs when I am entering into ketosis. It lasts usually 2-3 days. It consists of mild, upper back pain, like sore/tight muscles. Mild headache, rarely, if at all. And Irritability (like angry/grumpy/rage) not uncontrollible, just an overall bad mood-annoyed with the world attitude.

Biologically what is happening, is that your body is ramping up its production of enzymes used to break fats down into ketones and to burn fats/keytones as your main fuel source. In order to mass produce these enzymes, your body seizes all your tryptophan (i think) stores to make the new enzymes. Unfortunately, tryptophan is also used to make seretonin, but because of the temporary shortage of tryptophan, which results in the shortage of seretonin, you get carb flu symptoms as a result.

I wonder if your symptoms are reflective of something else. How is your hydration and electrolyte balance? I think an imbalnce in water/electrolytes (sodium/magnesium/potassium/etc...) often has symptoms of nausea/stomach/headaches. I'm not a doctor/nutritionist or anything, this is just stuff I've read. Hope it helps. Good luck.
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Hi Kalania- hope you feel better!

Clackley- pregnant would be a miracle, LOL! I had my tubes tied 15 years ago when I had my twins and I take birth control pills for PCOS.

Taxbane- I thought I was hydrating...I will definitely try to pay attn to that.

If it doesn't improve this weekend I will make a Dr appt next week. I just feel cruddy
Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lioness0455
Stats: 256.5/170/125
Start Date: 1/3/07
Low carb messes with your electrolyte balance, just as Taxbane said. It's very dehydrating. Make sure you are salting your food well and are taking a bit of Potassium until your body adjusts. That's what Atkins' Nutritionals recommends.
Lioness0455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweepy
Stats: 157
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restarted 6/14
I thought I went through Kestosis , but I never really had mood swings. I lost 6 lbs in water weight and have been on the LC for 26 days now. Does that mean I havnt been in Ketosis?
sweepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Hi Lioness- I do tendril be light-handed with salt, especially now that I'm not eating things like chips. I will pay more attn to that as well.

Hi Sweepy - I'm with you...not sure on the ketosis. How do you know?!

I do feel some better today....hoping whatever it is has ran its course!! I'm really tires though. I see all the people posting about having so much energy...I'm waiting for that.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
You could actually have the real flu... it's going around!
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote