LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cookwithme65
Stats: 195/160/150
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: Process started in 2011, restart nov 2013
Muffin top? Ever heard of Belly Fat Cure Diet

So I started induction Sunday and have lost 6 lbs thus far. I know this will slow down quite a bit. I have stayed on program with the exception of a handful of sunflower kernals. low in carbs but not on the induction list.

My question is where do people first notice that the weight comes of their body? My only real problem areas are my stomach area thus resulting in a muffin top and a fuller face and the beginning of a double chin. If I could lose the weight quicker around my middle than I would have a ton more clothes in my closet that I could be wearing. The pants that do fit around my middle are very baggie in the back side.

While researching lc recipes I came across some youtube videos and blogs that are based on the Belly Fat Diet. It seems mostly low carb but they incorporate certain foods that help with weight loss around your middle. I'm going to try and google some more info on it.

Any suggestions for working on this problem area would be helpful. I do use the treadmill 4-5 times a week and wi Zumba at least once.

TIA

- Kristan
cookwithme65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
I lost 20lbs on Weight Watchers but was still in the same darn pants from when I started!! I seem to lose first in my upper arms (of all places!) and my face, my belly always hangs on for dear life!!! Low carb tightens me up much better than WW but it still take quite a few pounds before it even touches my stomach. My pants (size 14) are comfortable in the waist and butt so I guess I have more chubb in my tushy than you but it would be nice to just get into a smaller size...
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookwithme65 View Post
So I started induction Sunday and have lost 6 lbs thus far. I know this will slow down quite a bit. I have stayed on program with the exception of a handful of sunflower kernals. low in carbs but not on the induction list.

My question is where do people first notice that the weight comes of their body? My only real problem areas are my stomach area thus resulting in a muffin top and a fuller face and the beginning of a double chin. If I could lose the weight quicker around my middle than I would have a ton more clothes in my closet that I could be wearing. The pants that do fit around my middle are very baggie in the back side.

While researching lc recipes I came across some youtube videos and blogs that are based on the Belly Fat Diet. It seems mostly low carb but they incorporate certain foods that help with weight loss around your middle. I'm going to try and google some more info on it.

Any suggestions for working on this problem area would be helpful. I do use the treadmill 4-5 times a week and wi Zumba at least once.

TIA

- Kristan
Did you see Dr. Oz a couple of days ago when Montel Williams was on? He suggested eat three teaspoons of sunflower seeds a day is a good dose to help knock out belly fat. So you are headed in the right direction eating the sunflower seeds.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
I was reading reviews for The Belly Fat Cure on amazon and it seems his methods are high protein low carb but not as low as Atkins. I gather he lowered the carbs allowed in his latest book as some lady made the comment that he had turned into Atkins (this was a negative in her eyes). I personally will stick to Atkins and see where I am in 6 months.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Deb

Gallery: Deb
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOO View Post
Did you see Dr. Oz a couple of days ago when Montel Williams was on? He suggested eat three teaspoons of sunflower seeds a day is a good dose to help knock out belly fat. So you are headed in the right direction eating the sunflower seeds.
Koo what was theproduct he was indorsing? i missed 1/2 the program
Deb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
There is unfortunately no solid research to support any one food that "attacks" fat in any part of the body. Reducing your overall body fat is the only way, through whatever means work best for you. The "Flat Belly" diet I have looked at does target foods that reduce bloating and do not bloat you, but that is much different than "fat". For women inparticular, mid-section fat is often the last to go.
millergirl1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I do not believe that you can spot reduce with diet. The fat will come off where it wants, when it wants. Eating a specific thing is not going to reduce fat in any one place on your body. Exercising won't even do that. You can, however, tighten musculature beneath the skin in certain areas giving a more toned appearance. But that won't do a thing to the fat there. That just has to come off on its own.

Oh, and just a personal aside, not to offend anyone, but I wouldn't trust Dr. Oz as far as I could throw him.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennbeingme
Stats: 180/158.4/135
WOE: lo carbing
Start Date: restart Sept 1/ 2011
I always lose fat from the top down- the "girls" always disappear first- the hips ( and trust me I HAVE hips) go last. But each person is unique- I have a friend who just loses all over at the same time, my sister loses her stomach absolutely last- I think it just depends. I agree with others that you can't spot reduce through diet- you body will do what it wants to do- you just control what goes in. You can definitely tighten certain areas through exercise- If you are most concerned with you stomach, start core exercises and crunches-
jennbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
There is a strong correlation between excess cortisol and belly fat so I don't see how any particular food would counteract that.

It seems likely that the fat that has been exposed the longest to excess insulin is going to be the most stubborn. So the fat that was last gained should go first and visa versa.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobMan
Stats: 429/310/299
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 3, 2008 2nd time around 6/3/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
I do not believe that you can spot reduce with diet. The fat will come off where it wants, when it wants. Eating a specific thing is not going to reduce fat in any one place on your body. Exercising won't even do that. You can, however, tighten musculature beneath the skin in certain areas giving a more toned appearance. But that won't do a thing to the fat there. That just has to come off on its own.

Oh, and just a personal aside, not to offend anyone, but I wouldn't trust Dr. Oz as far as I could throw him.
This!!!!!
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
There is a strong correlation between excess cortisol and belly fat so I don't see how any particular food would counteract that.

It seems likely that the fat that has been exposed the longest to excess insulin is going to be the most stubborn. So the fat that was last gained should go first and visa versa.
Yep, and in my (and many people's cases!) that is fat on the belly. Belly fat is a very reliable visual indicator of insulin resistance.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silasgreenback
Stats: 6' 5" - 249/201/200
WOE: LC, mainly VLC.
Start Date: Sept 2011
As far as I'm know the process that determines the location of fat deposition is not fully understood. It's certainly linked to sex hormones in some manner, as the depsition of fat follows broadly similar patterns dependant on your sex. But there is still a great deal of individual variability within that parameter and as such a diet promising to reduce a specific area must be making a claim that the specific reduction will come as part of an overall reduction.

That being said, I seemed to lose mostly in the thighs, waist, belly and moobs. I've also noticed my face is thinner and wrists too (a watch that wouldn't clasp now fits perfectly. That doesn't leave much leftover does it....I'm pretty sure my ears haven't lost weight.

John.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
As far as I'm know the process that determines the location of fat deposition is not fully understood. It's certainly linked to sex hormones in some manner, as the depsition of fat follows broadly similar patterns dependant on your sex. But there is still a great deal of individual variability within that parameter and as such a diet promising to reduce a specific area must be making a claim that the specific reduction will come as part of an overall reduction.

That being said, I seemed to lose mostly in the thighs, waist, belly and moobs. I've also noticed my face is thinner and wrists too (a watch that wouldn't clasp now fits perfectly. That doesn't leave much leftover does it....I'm pretty sure my ears haven't lost weight.

John.
HA !! Moobs...thanks for the giggle, I love the term. I've heard a lot of other ones but not that one yet

Agreed about sex hormones, but also about the variation. Being female, I am quite well endowed in the 'Woobs', but have pretty much no fat on the legs/thighs/hips. I have tiny little hips, actually. My waist is where the fat goes (and upper arms!).
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Quote:

TIA

- Kristan
I first noticed a difference in my face and neck. No one even noticed my weight loss, even hubby until I lost 50 lbs. It would be nice if you could target weight loss in certain problem areas but I don't think it's possible without a surgeon. Be patient!!!
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
KOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel 7 View Post
Koo what was theproduct he was indorsing? i missed 1/2 the program
It was Safslim, a Safflower Oil supplement.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
Deb

Gallery: Deb
Quote:
It was Safslim, a Safflower Oil supplement.
oh ok thanks

i have acually tryed looking for safflower oil in a couple of groceries and couldnt find it

i may try the sup's
Deb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
KOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel 7 View Post
oh ok thanks

i have acually tryed looking for safflower oil in a couple of groceries and couldnt find it

i may try the sup's
From what I read, the difference is price is a lot, so you might want to keep trying to find the safflower oil itself. Now someone did say the orange Safslim taste good but has to be refrigerated. I wonder if the safflower oil does too. Maybe that is where you would find it, is in the refrigerated area of the grocery.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good to hear Karen. The ones I eat are salted. Not sure if thats ok. I will look for some unsalted ones. They are only 1 carb for 1/4 cup. I will look up that show. Thanks for the info.

BTW I think the name of the diet was Belly fat cure diet.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Angie1999
Stats: 200
Start Date: January 2012
Hi...I used the Belly Fat Cure for a while...I liked it and after I do induction with Atkins I intend to go back to it because it works...but I just wanted the boost with induction...and also...it's very easy to follow because there is alot you can have...there is a book with all the details...costs about 15 dollars...I found it at Wal-Mart!
Angie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
Yep, and in my (and many people's cases!) that is fat on the belly. Belly fat is a very reliable visual indicator of insulin resistance.
Well than thats what I got.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post

John.
Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
I first noticed a difference in my face and neck. No one even noticed my weight loss, even hubby until I lost 50 lbs. It would be nice if you could target weight loss in certain problem areas but I don't think it's possible without a surgeon. Be patient!!!
Wow 50 lbs. Thats awesome!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1999 View Post
Hi...I used the Belly Fat Cure for a while...I liked it and after I do induction with Atkins I intend to go back to it because it works...but I just wanted the boost with induction...and also...it's very easy to follow because there is alot you can have...there is a book with all the details...costs about 15 dollars...I found it at Wal-Mart!
I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I'm interested to see the foods allowed.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Quote:
Wow 50 lbs. Thats awesome!
Well I've actually lost 90+ but 50 was when it started getting noticed.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I actually have the book and also the pocket guide that I was getting ready to drop off at Goodwill. IM me your address and I will send them to you if you want them.

Pam
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
Well I've actually lost 90+ but 50 was when it started getting noticed.
Wow, that is awesome!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I actually have the book and also the pocket guide that I was getting ready to drop off at Goodwill. IM me your address and I will send them to you if you want them.

Pam
Just sent you a message. Actually my list was 1-16, then added a #17, now going to add a #18. You will understand when you read your message and my other post on the atkins induction area.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbeingme View Post
I always lose fat from the top down- the "girls" always disappear first- the hips ( and trust me I HAVE hips) go last. But each person is unique- I have a friend who just loses all over at the same time, my sister loses her stomach absolutely last- I think it just depends. I agree with others that you can't spot reduce through diet- you body will do what it wants to do- you just control what goes in. You can definitely tighten certain areas through exercise- If you are most concerned with you stomach, start core exercises and crunches-

Me, tooooo.....I hate that. Boobs first, upper torso second, now upper arms. I am still working on the upper thighs and muffin top. I will have to lower my goal to see if that pudge will disappear.

With that said, I have the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook that I bought a year ago. At the time, it seems too restrictive to me...can't remember why. Possibly the ingredients in a lot of the recipes did not appeal to me. I do believe that you can not spot reduce with exercise, so I can't imagine that you can do it with a diet.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I lost alot in my bottom and thighs really fast this time...I am hanging on to a little thickness around the muffin top area...although since reading Wheat Belly and understanding the inflammatory affects of grains on our body I have tried to eliminate more wheat and grain products...I hadn't made it to that wrung yet any how on the ladder and now I don't know if I will ever have more than an occasional lc wrap or flat bread again...as it is I only use these once about a month for a pizza treat...but I have found that the oopsies work great for mini pizzas so even less now.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silasgreenback
Stats: 6' 5" - 249/201/200
WOE: LC, mainly VLC.
Start Date: Sept 2011
Wouldn't is be reasonable to assume that the fat will reduce in proportion to where it is stored?

Men get fat above the waist around the belly and Women it's generally below the waist in the hips and buttocks.

So say you are a woman carrying 20lbs of fat and with the following deposition:

Buttocks 40%
Hips 30%
Breasts 20%
Remainder 10%

If you lost 10lbs wouldn't it be expected to lose that weight spread across the same proportions? That's assuming you are in good health of course, hormonal issues can cause localised fat movement.

If certain areas were targetable (intentionally or not), I think we'd see a lot more people complaining about uneven weight loss. Also, why would it be only horizontal? Could I work to lose the fat in my left thigh and right wrist?

My experience was that it all dropped away fairly evenly, or not so unevenly that I suddenly thought I was losing weight in any particular area.

John.

Last edited by silasgreenback; 01-06-2012 at 02:14 PM..
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote