Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AKDogg
Alcohol and Low Carb Diets

Good Afternoon,
I am new to the sight and just discovered it today! Love everything about it so far and have browsed around all morning! I'm getting going on a low carb plan, trying to stick under 20 carbs a day!
My big question, is about alcohol and the effects it has on you when trying to Low Carb. I'm a huge sports fan and with the NFL playoffs coming up, I know my buddies and I are going to want to kick back and watch the action with a few drinks! Any suggestion, thoughts or even if I should drink alcohol at all while doing this Low Carb plan? What are the good Low or No Carb choices in alcohol drinks? Ect.
Thanks ahead of time for letting me be part of your awesome group! Good luck to all with everyone goals!
AKDogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NP8559
Stats: S141/C131.6/G115/ 5'0
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/22/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDogg View Post
Good Afternoon,
I am new to the sight and just discovered it today! Love everything about it so far and have browsed around all morning! I'm getting going on a low carb plan, trying to stick under 20 carbs a day!
My big question, is about alcohol and the effects it has on you when trying to Low Carb. I'm a huge sports fan and with the NFL playoffs coming up, I know my buddies and I are going to want to kick back and watch the action with a few drinks! Any suggestion, thoughts or even if I should drink alcohol at all while doing this Low Carb plan? What are the good Low or No Carb choices in alcohol drinks? Ect.
Thanks ahead of time for letting me be part of your awesome group! Good luck to all with everyone goals!

I consider myself an expert in this arena as it is the hardest thing for me to give up or scale back on considering I am too a huge football fan and drink socially frequently. What can I say I like my booze!

Virtually all diets tell you to EXCLUDE alcohol completely and especially Atkins for the two week induction states to exclude alcohol. The reason being is because your body primarily burns Carbs, Alcohol, protein, then fat. So you are limiting carbs but you still have two obstacles in the way until fat burining (weight loss takes effect). Essentially drinking the right kind of zero carb alcohol will not cause you necessarily to gain weight on a low carb diet but it will slow or stopp the weight loss because your body will have to burn the alcohol off before it can start burning fat.

I will be induging in a couple cocktails with my girls new years so the best things to have are hard liquor (vodka,gin,bourbon. etc) with a zero calorie, zero sugar drink such as diet soda or club soda. I buy vodka and drink it with zero calorie but flavored soda (sweetened with splenda) Yummy! I also buy flavored vodka sometimes which helps the taste. Beer, Margaritas, mixed sugar drinks are by far the worst with sugar, carbs, and added stuff..

Simply put, Vodka and Soda is the best. Hope this helps.
NP8559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lulamc
Stats: 266/240/180
Start Date: 4/19/09
my faves are rum & diet coke and Michelob Ultra (2.6 carbs per beer.)

Go Texans!!!
lulamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I tend to keep it to once a week, 2 zero carb drinks (whiskey) or red wine - that said, on vacation I have spent 7-14 days drinking zero carb alcohol and not gained weight, but not lost weight either.

one issue with alcohol is that when your guard is down, excess food often finds its way into your stomach, kwim?

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sl1038
Stats: (204) 197/155.4/145 (first goal), 5'4"
WOE: Moderate Carbs, usually less than 75 per day
Start Date: February 2010/Restart November 2010
I, too, generally stick to hard liquor (vodka or run) with diet soda. However, I also will drink liquor with water and add a few drops of liquid Splenda and a lime. For a fruity treat, I purchase the sugar free powder packets that you add to water in my choice of flavor and add the water and liquor. When I drink beer, I stick to Miller Lite, which is 3.2 g carbs per serving. I have found that these particular drinks don't cause me to gain weight. In fact, after a night of drinking, I am usually down in weight a bit. Good luck figuring out what works for you!
sl1038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP8559 View Post
I consider myself an expert in this arena as it is the hardest thing for me to give up or scale back on considering I am too a huge football fan and drink socially frequently. What can I say I like my booze!

Virtually all diets tell you to EXCLUDE alcohol completely and especially Atkins for the two week induction states to exclude alcohol. The reason being is because your body primarily burns Carbs, Alcohol, protein, then fat. So you are limiting carbs but you still have two obstacles in the way until fat burining (weight loss takes effect). Essentially drinking the right kind of zero carb alcohol will not cause you necessarily to gain weight on a low carb diet but it will slow or stopp the weight loss because your body will have to burn the alcohol off before it can start burning fat.

I will be induging in a couple cocktails with my girls new years so the best things to have are hard liquor (vodka,gin,bourbon. etc) with a zero calorie, zero sugar drink such as diet soda or club soda. I buy vodka and drink it with zero calorie but flavored soda (sweetened with splenda) Yummy! I also buy flavored vodka sometimes which helps the taste. Beer, Margaritas, mixed sugar drinks are by far the worst with sugar, carbs, and added stuff..

Simply put, Vodka and Soda is the best. Hope this helps.
This makes a lot of sense here! Thanks for the insightful post!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristi030
Stats: 5'4 140:Goal 125-120
WOE: VLC<Protein Power
Start Date: Restart June 2011
There are a lot of great low carb margarita mixes out there too :]
Kristi030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silasgreenback
Stats: 6' 5" - 249/201/200
WOE: LC, mainly VLC.
Start Date: Sept 2011
Alchohol itself doesn't produce an insulin response, which I guess is the main thing we are trying to avoid as low carbers.

However, the alchohol will be metabolised primarily in the liver and provide energy, if you are burning the energy from alchohol then you are not burning the energy from fat. So I presume it will slow or pause the ketogenic process. Obviously the greater the consumption, the greater the effect.

I don't drink much and not at all when low carbing, so I've no direct experience to relate.

Choose your poison as if the drink has sugar in it then that obviously is a carbohydrate and will have an insulin response.

John.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1038 View Post
I, too, generally stick to hard liquor (vodka or run) with diet soda. However, I also will drink liquor with water and add a few drops of liquid Splenda and a lime. For a fruity treat, I purchase the sugar free powder packets that you add to water in my choice of flavor and add the water and liquor. When I drink beer, I stick to Miller Lite, which is 3.2 g carbs per serving. I have found that these particular drinks don't cause me to gain weight. In fact, after a night of drinking, I am usually down in weight a bit. Good luck figuring out what works for you!
Good points here. I guess it's just going to be about trial and error for a while until I see how my body reacts to everything! Maybe I can drink and still lose, or remain the same. Maybe if I only have a few. Maybe if I have more than a few it might not work! I'm sure it's going to be trial and error for a while just to see how "I" react to it!
Focusing on a SUPER BOWL cheat day for first GOAL!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heartchya
Stats: 262/188/145
Start Date: 01/03/2011
I have a very low tolerance to alcohol so I only ever drink Miller Lite. I usually do not gain any weight but I don't lose anything for at least 2 days after. If you are a light weight like me than it is also easy too have to much and suddenly want to eat some terrible bar food in hopes it will sober you up.

I am going out for New Years Eve with friends we will see what happens.
heartchya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
I have a very low tolerance to alcohol so I only ever drink Miller Lite. I usually do not gain any weight but I don't lose anything for at least 2 days after. If you are a light weight like me than it is also easy too have to much and suddenly want to eat some terrible bar food in hopes it will sober you up.

I am going out for New Years Eve with friends we will see what happens.
My normal drink of choice is Miller Lite as it is now! Still think it's the best tasting light beer out there! I hate to slow the process down too much so might limit myself on Alcohol for the time being to see how much I can drop with out the booze! New Years I'll have to stick with the Miller Lite and Champagne.....
Old 12-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AmyJuli
Stats: 177 high, 122 low, lots in between
Start Date: 7/9/03
I'm a fan of vodka and lemonade. I make my own lemonade w/Splenda.

I don't know if this is the case with everyone, but I've found alcohol hits me a lot harder now.
AmyJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Vodka and diet soda like Cherry flavored Vodka and diet cherry coke. I also always get a skinny margarita. However.......I stick to once or twice a month on average.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
I prefer unsweetened ice tea with vodka. Add Splenda or not, your choice. I'm distrustful of getting 'diet' coke at bars, and also trying to cut down on the fake sweeteners (I take my tea straight).

Occasionally, I'll order an extra-dirty vodka martini. They are probably 1-2 grams of carbs (depending on how much, if any, dry vermouth is added). Otherwise, just vodka, olive juice and olives.

edited to add:

years ago (like 40!) there was a low-carb diet called the "drinking man's diet". I think it made a comeback not long ago.

I'm almost always down on the scale the next morning after drinking ... dehydration no doubt.

Last edited by phurst_gal; 12-30-2011 at 05:34 AM..
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
I'm a daily red wine drinker and it hasn't affected my weight loss. But I'm not sure if red wine really goes well with football
Books and Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PoWdA
Stats: 244/210/159
Start Date: November 8, 2010
Jack and diet.
PoWdA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My normal drink of choice is Miller Lite as it is now! Still think it's the best tasting light beer out there! I hate to slow the process down too much so might limit myself on Alcohol for the time being to see how much I can drop with out the booze! New Years I'll have to stick with the Miller Lite and Champagne.....
Yeah beer is a no go. IF you have ot have been bud select is like 4 carbs.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCdave
Stats: 400/195/195
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Jan. 2000
Quote:
Good Afternoon,

I drink low carb beer every weekend and it really doesnt affect me at all, keep in mind I am in maintenance having lost 200 lbs. I'm 6-3 194 lbs now , under 10% bf and I may gain a little water weight, but that is gone the very next day when I work out, I sweat it out.

I say drink away, but I am still very strict on what I am eating, watch out for that if you get the munchies after drinking some
LCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I would say stay off the beer until in maintenance and watch the alcohol you do have until then.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
I quit drinking entirely during my weight loss period of about 5 months. Then I added it back after hitting my goal. Jack Daniels and water. My weight continued down very slowly for a while, but stopped at the low 170's. I often have zero carb days. In the rare event I have beer, I limit to one.
CalRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Beware that you may be more sensitive to alcohol while in ketosis so don't try to keep up with your old self. Sip and nurse a drink as long as you can or water it down!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Beware that you may be more sensitive to alcohol while in ketosis so don't try to keep up with your old self. Sip and nurse a drink as long as you can or water it down!
That brought up a question I have. Is it possible to be in Ketosis and drink alcohol? Does the booze throw you out of ketosis?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silasgreenback
Stats: 6' 5" - 249/201/200
WOE: LC, mainly VLC.
Start Date: Sept 2011
We create and burn glycogen (principally from carbs) first and then when we are glycogen deficient we enter ketosis. The energy from alcohol is mainly utilised in the liver (about 80% of total) and as far as I can recall it is either used immediately (I think it converts to acetate then ATP) and some it can also be stored as fat (VLDL).

If we are in ketosis, I would presume (please note "presume") that we would utilise the energy from the alcohol immediately ahead of that from ketones. Especially as if we are in ketosis the creation of fat is problematic which would give the alchohol no route to storage, although perhaps the fat would enter the bloodstream and be utilised in a similar fashion to the regular dietary fat/protein.

Best case is that you will see a slowing of the ketogenic effect as you will either have a) a more immediate energy source to be used (acetate) or: b) another source for energy for the ketones to work through (VLDL), which means they are not extracting energy from fat.

John.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books and Cats View Post
I'm a daily red wine drinker and it hasn't affected my weight loss. But I'm not sure if red wine really goes well with football
I would about drink anything this year while watching my helpless Bears!!!!
Like a good Cab from time to time though! ha ha!

When you say daily red wine drinker, what kind and about how much do you drink a week. Sorry the the personal question, just trying to gauge on quantitiy that I might be able to consume with out blocking my weight loss!

Bringing a bottle of wine over to my boys house for Sunday or Monday night football might be a little wierd, but hey if it helps, it helps!!!!

Thanks everyone for the great advice!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babycakez
Stats: 267/186/160
WOE: Low Carbin' it! RESTART#3: JAN.31.2013
Start Date: 11/02/11
I stick to rum & diet coke or vodka & sugar free cranberry juice. <3

I'm also making sure that I bring some LC snacks with me on NYE so that when I get hungry I won't make a stupid decision and eat any carby like foods which I'm sure they will be serving.

Last edited by babycakez; 12-30-2011 at 04:10 PM..
babycakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Ill be drinking rum and pepsi max andcmaybe a shot or 2 of crown. I also like sky vodka and sweet tea.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

whiskey has no carbs correct?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

correct straight alcohol is the best. I would choose that over wine because that has sugar. It is made using fermented grapes= sugar. Perhaps your boys wont give you such a hard time if you bring a bottle of crown or vodka
Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP8559 View Post
correct straight alcohol is the best. I would choose that over wine because that has sugar. It is made using fermented grapes= sugar. Perhaps your boys wont give you such a hard time if you bring a bottle of crown or vodka
Ha ha no doubt! Pendeltons it is than! Thanks for all the great insight here! This place is awesome!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
Quote:
I would about drink anything this year while watching my helpless Bears!!!!
Like a good Cab from time to time though! ha ha!

When you say daily red wine drinker, what kind and about how much do you drink a week. Sorry the the personal question, just trying to gauge on quantitiy that I might be able to consume with out blocking my weight loss!

Bringing a bottle of wine over to my boys house for Sunday or Monday night football might be a little wierd, but hey if it helps, it helps!!!!

Thanks everyone for the great advice!
I don't mind the question. I don't think it's personal if it helps someone else.

I have 1-2 glasses (5 oz each) of red wine every night with dinner. Honestly, it's probably 2 glasses most of the time. I stick to drier stuff - mostly Cabs. I kept drinking wine while low-carbing because I like it and it hasn't hurt my weight loss.

Since different things work for different people, here is some other info about me. I lose weight at a medium rate. I'm female and 35 yrs old. I don't eat a lot of other treats like low carb desserts or snacks. I mostly stick to meat, eggs, cheese, almonds, and veggies. I only mention these things because I know some people stall in their losses with alcohol and sometimes it can be due to age, how fast you lose, male vs female, other food choices, etc.

I hope this helps answer your question.