Old 12-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Mcp
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mcp
Stats: 168/156/125
WOE: Sugar Free
Start Date: 12-26 -11
LouAna Coconut oil vs. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

I bought EVCO today at Walmart and then I went down the cooking isle.

I found Coconut Oil......oh I was so excited....there were to different kinds but I picked up the one that I hear about all the time on here....LouAna.

So what is the difference? I use the EVCO on my hands/face I have eaten it. Is LouAna better? Only good for cooking? I was sooooooo excited that I found a different kind that I just bought it!!

Thanks.....
Mcp is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
LouAna is the one that doesn't taste like coconuts so it is perfect for cooking when you don't want that coconutty taste. Personally, I don't want, or like, my eggs tasting like coconuts so I use the expeller pressed coconut oil for my frying. My kids don't want their brownies to taste like coconuts, so I use the expeller pressed for my baking. I still get the benefits of the coconut oil, but none of the taste.

And there are people here who will tell you that LouAna will not be good for you because of the way way it is processed. But I know of a long time LCFer who used it and improved her cholesterol while doing so!

Last edited by dawnyama; 12-18-2011 at 04:29 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
And there are people here who will tell you that LouAna will not be good for you because of the way way it is processed. But I know of a long time LCFer who used it and improved her cholesterol while doing so!
The problem is.....the way it is processed! any oil that is solvent-extracted is not going to be as good for you as an expeller-pressed oil (whether coconut, almond, macadamia....olive, whatever.)

So, while "a long-time LCFer" might be better off than she otherwise would be, that's not really saying a lot (especially when you consider that elevated cholesterol is not actually an indicator of heart disease, or any other type of disease.) When you eat foods that have been processed with hexane, you are ingesting a likely carcinogen.

I use LouAna to put on my face, but I would never even think of actually eating it (have you looked at it next to expeller-pressed? That in itself should be enough to turn you off....the LouAna is an ugly yellow-ish color.) BTW, you can buy expeller-pressed coconut oil that does not smell or taste like coconuts, so I wouldn't think that would be the deciding factor. Quality counts, when you are eating.

Last edited by gharkness; 12-18-2011 at 05:35 PM..
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Starsunmoon
Stats: 226/210/150
WOE: LC.glycemic,Other
Start Date: April 1, 2011/Starting over
LOL !!! Well I have luanna, and I am giving it a try with atleast one TSP a day till I get up tp 3 /....
Starsunmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
I use LouAna to put on my face, but I would never even think of actually eating it (have you looked at it next to expeller-pressed? That in itself should be enough to turn you off....the LouAna is an ugly yellow-ish color.) BTW, you can buy expeller-pressed coconut oil that does not smell or taste like coconuts, so I wouldn't think that would be the deciding factor. Quality counts, when you are eating.
And I feel the opposite. I would never think to use LouAna on my face. Where I get my coconut oil from (Tropical Traditions) says to use on our skin what we would want to ingest They suggest that if you are allergic to taking coconut oil by the spoon then another way to "get in your oil" is to take it by the skin. In other words you absorb it through your skin as you would if you take it by mouth. I don't use LouAna on any regular basis. I have used it from time to time when I have run out of my Tropical Traditions expeller pressed and need to have it "right now". So I cannot personally speak to how it is long term. I do buy my coconut oil from Tropical Traditions and buy expeller pressed as well as virgin coconut oil as well as many other of their coconut products. I am very happy with them, but do know that sometimes you can be in a pinch money wise or want to try something out before investing in it. I have been there!! Good luck to Mcp!! I hope you end up liking the coconut oil as much as I do!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 12-18-2011 at 06:04 PM..
Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Where I get my coconut oil from (Tropical Traditions) says to use on our skin what we would want to ingest
Actually, considering the porosity of our skin, I can't really argue that with you. I am forced to agree with you. My only reason for using it on my face is because I have it. Once it's used up, there'll be no more of that. I also buy mine to eat from TT in the five-gallon bucket. Expensive, yes, but when you compare the price per ounce, it goes way down buying in bulk.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
I use LouAna to put on my face, but I would never even think of actually eating it (have you looked at it next to expeller-pressed? That in itself should be enough to turn you off....the LouAna is an ugly yellow-ish color.)
My LouAna is a bright white when solid, and clear when melted. I don't see any ugly yellow-ish with mine
It looks the same as my expeller pressed organic brand that I purchased when they were out of the LouAna.

Last edited by Kateee; 12-19-2011 at 07:44 AM..
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Actually, considering the porosity of our skin, I can't really argue that with you. I am forced to agree with you. My only reason for using it on my face is because I have it. Once it's used up, there'll be no more of that. I also buy mine to eat from TT in the five-gallon bucket. Expensive, yes, but when you compare the price per ounce, it goes way down buying in bulk.
Too funny!! Yes, no need to waste. I was watching Drew Pinsky's show one day and one of the dermatologists he had on the show one day was talking about skin care for acne. I mean severe acne. This girl would not go out of her house her face was so bad. She talked about coconut oil being so good for the face. I was so happy to hear a doctor on a national tv show talking about coconut oil being good for the skin. I know that Dr Oz talks about coconut oil being a good oil too. Glad some are catching on.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
Mcp
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mcp
Stats: 168/156/125
WOE: Sugar Free
Start Date: 12-26 -11
Thanks for all the responces! I still havent tried the LouAna CO yet......
Im chicken I guess
Mcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
I just bought some LouAna CO today, and I'm going to give it a try.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/133/124? 5'2"
WOE: various intermittent fasting with mod carb
Start Date: low carb off and on since 1967, IF 4/2013-now
I am still befuddled about the health benefits or non benefits of Lou Ana. ???

Any more opinions would be greatly appreciated.
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
LouAna is highly processed and deodorized. You are better off sticking with EVCO if you are looking for health benefits.
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #13

Yes, Louana is refined, deodorized and processed, but you can still benefit from this over other oils out there. I know of one LCF poster who used this as her oil for a while and lowered her cholesterol numbers. So you can still see benefits from using it!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pickles1010
Stats: 198 /190.5 /160 5'8
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: Jan. 2004/ Restart:Jan 2014
I have tried Lou Ana before and used it mostly for making chocolate bark and frying. Today I was in town ( a twice a month trip ) and the Lou Ana was sold out, an other, organic brand was $8.95 I think 20 oz and the same brand in our little Asian market was $19.95. Cant afford either one so will continue olive oil for the time being. Our health food store is pretty expensive also.
pickles1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eyerish cream
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Yes, Louana is refined, deodorized and processed

Hi there

Please tell me where you get this information. I just bought several quarts on sale at my local Winn Dixie for a great price. Less than $6.00 a quart and it says all natural,pure and has been manufactured for more than 100 years
eyerish cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyerish cream View Post
Hi there

Please tell me where you get this information. I just bought several quarts on sale at my local Winn Dixie for a great price. Less than $6.00 a quart and it says all natural,pure and has been manufactured for more than 100 years
It has been written/posted here for many many years. The original person who found out had either read on their website or contacted the company directly. You can search this site if you want to find out. The reason I say it has been bleached and deodorized is because it is so pure white and it has no coconut smell. They have to do it some way Lots of products can claim they are natural, but don't really define "natural".

I think you got a great deal Under $6 per container is a great price. The price just keeps getting higher and higher at my Walmart
Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Calliesue
I started using the organic at walmart, but because of the cost, I bought lou-anna the last time, I can't tell a difference. I use it to make bark, and I eat it daily. It has helped my digestive issues, and my skin is softer and not breaking out as much. I actually feel like I'm cheating when I eat that yummy bark.
Calliesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
Quote:
BTW, you can buy expeller-pressed coconut oil that does not smell or taste like coconuts, so I wouldn't think that would be the deciding factor. Quality counts, when you are eating.
So which is the expeller pressed one that doesn't taste like coconut and is of a higher quality? Is there such a thing? What's the brand? I use Nutiva in my coffee but I don't want everything I saute to taste like coconut.

Has anyone tried Wilderness Family Certified Organic Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil?

Last edited by kat819; 03-24-2012 at 02:57 PM..
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote