LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
Almond Milk Expiration?

How long does almond milk really keep in the refrigerator? I can't possibly drink a half gallon. It says to enjoy it within a week of opening...and I feel like I will have to take it off the grocery list if I can't seem to drink more than one or two servings from it! I noticed there were smaller sized cartons that are non-refrigerated. Are they the same? Preserved?
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Subbing because I'm wondering the same thing - I only really use almond milk if baking something which isn't often enough in a week to justify buying almond milk on a regular basis.
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fleur
WOE: one toe into starting JUDD
Start Date: 1/18/2012
Hi. I started on almond milk before I began with LC. I'm sure I use it for 2 weeks after opening sometimes and it is still fine. I've never tried the non refrigerated cartons, but thinking back to soy milk drinking days, I preferred the refrigerated version, for what that may be worth.

I use almond milk in my whey protein shakes. This recipe for chia "tapioca" pudding is also great (my variation of a recipe I found on one of the other threads here). Mix 1 1/2 c. almond milk with 1/4 c. chia seeds, sweetener of your choice, and a dash of almond extract. Refrigerate overnight and enjoy.
fleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Check the non-refrigerated section, possibly the organic section, for quart size cartons that don't need refrigeration until they're opened.
Netrition carries it as well: Almond breeze
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artsyfartsy
Stats: 120/112.5/110-lost 30lbs. prior
WOE: Low Carb Fusion
We use within about two weeks and it's been totally fine.

The carton ones cost just as much as if not more than the half gallon refrigerated ones. They also taste different.
artsyfartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
I have frozen it before. It separates during the freezing process, but just give it a quick whirl in the blender when it's thawed and it's fine.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
Left one in there for a few months...no issues....i have a resilient tummy though........it was 'mixed' up quite a bit with other things, so the rancid taste may have been masked....i dunno??
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
I freeze mine as well. I have only used in shakes though and throw the frozen portion right into the blender.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: In2Win
Stats: 273/235/140
WOE: LCHF
You could also make your own, I use this easy recipe:
Almond Milk
Ingredients
1 cup of almonds
4 cups of water

To activate almonds, soak overnight and then pour off water. The next day, dip the almonds in boiling water, remove from water and peel away skins. Place in a blender with roughly 4 cups of water (less will make the “milk” thicker) and blend until smooth. To sweeten the milk, consider adding half of a banana or a handful of prunes or other dried fruit. (I use Stevia or Just Like Sugar)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is also paleofood Where there is that recipe as well as several other recipes for nut milks. I can't find almond milk here, so I was surprised to see how easy it is to make my own. Hope this helps.
In2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Thanks for the recipe In2win!!

What are you using the milk for? If it's smoothies:
Freeze some in your ice cube trays. When solid put into a Zipper close baggie. Then when you make a smoothie throw the cubes in the blender...it will be nice and slushie.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I will have to say that I have almond milk in my fridge 3-4 weeks,still drink it and have not had a problem yet..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: In2Win
Stats: 273/235/140
WOE: LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandalouslyglam View Post
Thanks for the recipe In2win!!

What are you using the milk for? If it's smoothies:
Freeze some in your ice cube trays. When solid put into a Zipper close baggie. Then when you make a smoothie throw the cubes in the blender...it will be nice and slushie.
The above recipe I posted was not mine, it is from a Paleo site but the links were removed (not by me). The credit goes to a paleo site and I am sure you can find other nice recipes out there for nut milks if you google. Please don't give credit to me, as it is someone else's work and they deserve full credit. Thanks.
In2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
I will have to say that I have almond milk in my fridge 3-4 weeks,still drink it and have not had a problem yet..
me to
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammykatt
Stats: 186/168.8/150
WOE: I dont even know anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Win View Post
You could also make your own, I use this easy recipe:
Almond Milk
Ingredients
1 cup of almonds
4 cups of water

To activate almonds, soak overnight and then pour off water. The next day, dip the almonds in boiling water, remove from water and peel away skins. Place in a blender with roughly 4 cups of water (less will make the “milk” thicker) and blend until smooth. To sweeten the milk, consider adding half of a banana or a handful of prunes or other dried fruit. (I use Stevia or Just Like Sugar)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is also paleofood Where there is that recipe as well as several other recipes for nut milks. I can't find almond milk here, so I was surprised to see how easy it is to make my own. Hope this helps.

You don't have to remove the skins. You can just blend it and then pour it through a coffee filter. The stuff left in the coffee filter you can dry it out and use as almond meal.
Sammykatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeDoc View Post
How long does almond milk really keep in the refrigerator? I can't possibly drink a half gallon. It says to enjoy it within a week of opening...and I feel like I will have to take it off the grocery list if I can't seem to drink more than one or two servings from it! I noticed there were smaller sized cartons that are non-refrigerated. Are they the same? Preserved?
I am the same way. I am the only one drinking the entire carton and cannot possibly finish the whole thing in a week!! I have had mine for about 2 weeks (possibly longer ) opened, in the fridge and it is still good. I have never tried the tetra pak ones. *I* think they are not as good because of the non-refrigeration thing, but that is a personal thing with me.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: davidt76
Stats: 272/208/200
Start Date: Feb 2011
Almond milk keeps for weeks, I believe.

I buy the unsweetened, zero net carb kind and add one or two packets of sweetener to the carton.

To make a quick and satisfying milkshake, stir in a container of Dannon Lite and Fit Carb and Sugar Control yogurt (3 carbs, hard to find) into a glass of almond milk sweetened as above.
davidt76 is offline   Reply With Quote