Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: monmart
Stats: 251/230
WOE: Ketogenic Diet
Major Anxiety and Panics after going OFF low-carb

I have been low-carb for 3 weeks. 25 grams or less with a Ketogenic Diet. I workout 5 days a week.

I have been off my low-carb diet since Thanksgiving (for personal reasons) Monday I started to have bad anxiety and panic attacks. Today I can't be around people at all and my girlfriend had to drive home tonight from dinner.

In essence I am a smart person and understand that anxiety and panics can be the result of low levels of serotonin in the brain, aspartame being one cause of lowering serotonin. I am not drinking diet coke daily, but I did have one Thanksgiving night. Nothing since. My guess is, this sudden carb spike has resulted in lowering my serotonin leaving me with this result. Caffeine makes it 10 x worse.

The big question is, has anyone else ever experience anything like this when going off low carb?

For what it's worth, I used to have short panic attacks about 10 years ago (how I know what it is) and went to the doctor and he prescribed me with Zoloft. That stuff was nasty. I gained weight and became dependent. Then went off it slowly. But back then I was drinking a 6 pack of diet coke daily.
monmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I haven't experienced exactly what you're describing, but I recently went through a terrible period of anxiety caused by Splenda (sucralose). If you're consuming it (it's in a lot of foods), I would suggest stopping it completely to see if that helps.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
It sounds like you're having a blood sugar issue. Are you diabetic? Have you discussed this possibility with your doctor?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: poopiewuv
My blood sugar is normal, but if I eat sugar for a few days I start feeling very anxious/moody/depressed.
poopiewuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
I haven't experienced exactly what you're describing, but I recently went through a terrible period of anxiety caused by Splenda (sucralose). If you're consuming it (it's in a lot of foods), I would suggest stopping it completely to see if that helps.
Not much splenda but my protein powder and some other things have Sucrose and Stevia.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
It sounds like you're having a blood sugar issue. Are you diabetic? Have you discussed this possibility with your doctor?
I am sensitive to sugar, hence why I am on low-carb. But I've always been for ever. Had blood tests in the past (3 years ago) and I checked out fine. I don't like to see doctors. I may see one for a blood test but other then that I don't need them.

I've went back on low carb as of tonight. I think the sudden surge of carbs has triggered the issue.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Going off low carb has never helped my mental state. Another reason to keep the carbs out. Hope you are back on track and feeling fine soon!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs_Potato_Head
Stats: 467/450/143-154?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2 March 2013
Hi, I suffer from anxiety and have recently begun to learn how begin to control it without drugs. I also get really anxious after eating carbs and caffeine. I think if you eat stimulants and there is an underlying anxiety problem, you can spark a panic attack.

The book Im reading atm about my anxiety (I dont have a lot of faith in drs generally and prefer to fix myself) is brilliant. It really helped bring my anxiety down to a level I can deal with and it may help you. Its called 'Free Yourself from Anxiety: A Self-help Guide to Overcoming Anxiety Disorders' by
Emma Fletcher, Martha Langley. I got it from Amazon.

So far I am following their general advise and avoiding simtulants, meditating once a day, exercising every day and watching something very funny every day and it really had bought my levels down. It is a bit of a lifestyle change, but worth it to get rid of that sinking feeling and rapid heartbeat. Next Im going to tackle the things that give my anxiety. Personally I have a lot of social anxiety, but the book is a little thin on the ground about specific anxieties so I might need a book specifically for that but I can completely recommend it as a great place to start. I hope you find peace, I know how awful anxiety can be.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I've been having some serious anxiety the past few months and I've been doing everything to try to figure out why. Since starting LC 2 years ago, I've been fine. I started taking Sam-E supplements, which I think is helping, I lowered my sucralose intake, but recently, something clicked in my head, hello, you went off plan a bit in September, and since then, I've went off plan a few more times, and bam, I'm struggling with really bad anxiety. Hello correlation. I have to stay away from carbs, not just for my physical health, but my mental health. Going off plan just isn't worth the anguish for me.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I've been having some serious anxiety the past few months and I've been doing everything to try to figure out why. Since starting LC 2 years ago, I've been fine. I started taking Sam-E supplements, which I think is helping, I lowered my sucralose intake, but recently, something clicked in my head, hello, you went off plan a bit in September, and since then, I've went off plan a few more times, and bam, I'm struggling with really bad anxiety. Hello correlation. I have to stay away from carbs, not just for my physical health, but my mental health. Going off plan just isn't worth the anguish for me.
I am back to normal. Went to the Gym and have only had 6 carbs today so far. I feel like a million bucks.

There is also Kava which is known to help with anxiety. I've been taking it for a day now and feel much better. Also, I personally don't know anyone that exercises regularly and has anxiety. This i know for sure will help you, but, I know many don't want to hear that

Last edited by monmart; 11-30-2011 at 02:38 PM..
Old 11-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Oh I go to the gym quite a bit. When I get in my funks it's hard for me to get myself to go, so a lot of times I don't, but I need to start making myself.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bgraham
Stats: 222/155/140
WOE: Atkins
I used to take zoloft for OCD and anxiety.

Since starting low carb I have gone of the meds completely and am symptom free.

Well, I do tend to obsess over carbs.
bgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I'm putting in a vote for blood sugar issues--hypoglycemia. After getting yourself nicely into ketosis you shocked your system with too much glucose and had an insulin spike which dropped your blood sugar into the toilet.

This can happen even to a person with a normal metabolism.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote