jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
There are a couple of medications used with some degree of success for reducing or eliminating alcohol consumption. I've read there is some potential for these drugs in the treatment of binge eating disorder as well. The two I have read about are baclofen and naltrexone.

Baclofen seems to be showing more promise for people who tend to binge on fatty foods than on sugary foods. It is helping some people though.

Before considering naltrexone I would make very very sure I understood all the details of how it works. It has affinity for certain receptors in the brain which would then influence how you experience pleasure. Of course not experiencing pleasure from food (or alcohol) can be a big help when trying to stop/cut back either problem. However there can be unintended consequences that are important to know about.

I wish there was a magic pill for sugarcarby addiction. I'd be taking it!!!

Good luck to you,

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
I wish there was a magic pill for sugarcarby addiction. I'd be taking it!!!
Me too. It has come to the point where it is affecting every area of my life in a negative way.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neapolita
Stats: 239/166/139, 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb - Very Low Carb
Topamax. It's generally prescribed for migraines and epilepsy but it seems to be effective for binge eating. It worked for me. I don't take it currently. I've been able to control my binging (mostly) by staying in ketosis and being strict with carbs. But I do still have a prescription for it... just in case.

Last edited by Neapolita; 11-16-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Neapolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: winkydink
Stats: 261/149/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 03/22/10 age 42
Wellbutrin seems to help.
winkydink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
I was also going to say Wellbutrin. On the other hand if the binging is due to a Serotonin imbalance they would need Prozac, etc.
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
This may not totally pertain, but when I was treated for Bulimia a few years ago, they prescribed me Prozac, its the only FDA approved drug for Bulimia as it can help lessen the frequency of binging and purging behavior as well as the severity. I feel like it might help with binge eating, but I dont know if a pscyhiatrist or doctor would prescribe it soley for that.

However, with that being said, although it did help, I still had my episodes while on the drug (even though they were less frequent), I even lost a little bit of weight on it in the beginning because of decreased appetite...around 3 years ago, I decided I didn't like being on it anymore (I was also treated for anxiety, and clinical depression), and well now binging and purging is a daily struggle for me.

If you find something for it though, let me know--because I am seriously getting closer to start seeing my therapist again so I can get back on medication.
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scottieMike
Stats: 265/228/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Merck found one -- it affected the same site as pot with the reverse action -- you do NOT have the munchies. Unfortunately it cause another reverse reaction to pot, severe depression/suicidal tendencies. So no drug.

Many companies are looking. No published success so far.
scottieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Phen-Fen was the most amazing drug combination ever, proven only to cause problems in smokers. I took the stuff for 6 months and loved the hell out of it. I'd take it again in a hot second. It was just that awesome.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: slh72454
Stats: 310/225/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart August 20th 2012
Isn't binge eating psychological? Wouldn't you need some sort of drug for that? I say this because I feel like whenever I binge eat, it's pure mental. I do it when I'm stressed over something or in a panic.
slh72454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
For me, binge eating seemed to begin psychologically with some kind of stress. But I never seemed to see it coming. I felt overwhelmed, ate something carby and usually sweet, felt better, and was suddenly in a full-physical binge. Fat helps me. These days when something stressful happens I grab cheese or a pat of butter. Again, this is just me, but since I started lc, I seem to be coping better - seeking understanding and, if possible, resolution where in the past I might have grabbed a candy bar and *****ed.

- Nancy
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emayh
i am a baclofen user, and it does help!! it's been used for addiction, and based on my experience, it quiets my "body anxiety" — that feeling of needing/craving something constantly. it was originally a muscle-relaxer, prescribed for people with MS and muscle spasms, so what it does is relieve a good amount of tension in the body (that — in my opinion — could easily be mistaken for hunger).

there is still an emotional/psychological piece that needs to be dealt with, and habits that need to be broken, but the biological drive is lessened considerably. i don't find myself obsessing about what/when to eat, which is a major relief.

i have also been on wellbutrin for six years. it helped in the beginning, but after a period of time, wasn't as effective.

hope this helps!

[edited to add: hi! this is my first post... i saw baclofen and had to jump in!]

Last edited by emayh; 11-17-2011 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: adding note.
emayh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:19 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
I completely agree with you Jamie...Phen-fen worked for me and my mother as well. FIRST time in my entire life where food just didn't appeal to me.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:29 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emayh View Post
i am a baclofen user, and it does help!! it's been used for addiction, and based on my experience, it quiets my "body anxiety" — that feeling of needing/craving something constantly. it was originally a muscle-relaxer, prescribed for people with MS and muscle spasms, so what it does is relieve a good amount of tension in the body (that — in my opinion — could easily be mistaken for hunger).

there is still an emotional/psychological piece that needs to be dealt with, and habits that need to be broken, but the biological drive is lessened considerably. i don't find myself obsessing about what/when to eat, which is a major relief.

i have also been on wellbutrin for six years. it helped in the beginning, but after a period of time, wasn't as effective.

hope this helps!
Welcome to LCF, and thanks for posting your experience with baclofen. I know several people who have really been helped but of course that's not a "clinical trial!" Interesting about the underlying anxiety. That seems to be where baclofen is the most effective from what I've been reading.

DG
Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
Dr. Atkins believed binge eating was quite physical and bio-chemical.

it is in his books. i do concede, that i could not get a handle on controlling it w/o ATKINS. Perhaps it is psychological with some people as well. However, I experienced the same emotions when losing as i did when gaining. When I see commercials for any pharmaceuticals, the possible side effects are almost always worse than the affliction they were manufactured to control. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #16
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Psychological response is a direct result of brain chemistry and imbalance. Read Dr. Julia Ross' The Diet Cure to see how she cured 20 years' worth of patients with eating disorders. It's the best book you'll ever read. It's all in your head-- and aminos can help. They do for so many I've spoken to.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emayh
thanks for the welcome!

i'll add that medication was a last resort for me. i had worked through the issues as deeply as i could, but there was a point where my body would take over — really like an addiction — and i was powerless over it. now i am calm enough to stop and make rational decisions.

it is definitely not a cure, because habits are comforting and hard to break. but i've made a lot of progress since starting baclofen.

i don't know if we're allowed to post links(?), but Olivier Ameisen is a cardiologist who used baclofen to treat his own addiction to alcohol. he wrote a book called "the end of my addiction" and has a website with FAQ's if you want more info.

in response to one of the questions he wrote:
"In animal studies it eliminates the motivation to consume alcohol, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine. There is also promising evidence that it can eliminate the craving for food in bulimia and binge-eating. Research has recently established that people with drug addictions share common patterns of neurotransmission with people who have what are called nondrug addictions, such as compulsive gambling, compulsive shopping, binge-eating, and sex addiction. Baclofen has the potential to transform the treatment of many or all of these closely related illnesses."

he also explains why it isn't promoted by drug companies:
"...baclofen is a generic, and major addiction trials are pretty much all funded by pharmaceutical companies. There is no incentive for them to spend research and marketing money on a generic medication. Given the financial and human toll of addiction, the incentive for society as a whole is huge, but too few people have yet learned about baclofen to get it the attention it deserves."

best wishes!
emayh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
Although it wasn't a prescription drug, ephedra worked WONDERS for me. Gave me uber energy, even to the point of crazy jitters which was a little offputting. (I worked 3rd shift and hardly got any sleep during the day so I had to do something for energy) Totally killed my appetite. Loved it! Wish the FDA would un-ban it.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolita View Post
Topamax. It's generally prescribed for migraines and epilepsy but it seems to be effective for binge eating. It worked for me. I don't take it currently. I've been able to control my binging (mostly) by staying in ketosis and being strict with carbs. But I do still have a prescription for it... just in case.
Is the Topamax something my Dr. would prescribe if I ask for it to control binging.

SSRI's have only worked for a short period of time for me. They stop the binging and I initially lose weight but once my body adapts it stops working.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #20
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I'm a recovering binger I haven't taken any prescribed medication for it probably because I was way to embarrassed to ever mention it. I hope you find something that works for you.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
Two things - avoid your triggers and read The Diet Cure by Julia Ross.
CARLINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I recommend one-to-one coaching by Sheryl Cantor, author of Normal Eating. She is amazing.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I recommend one-to-one coaching by Sheryl Cantor, author of Normal Eating. She is amazing.
How does this work exactly? I looked at her website and I am not sure that I am emotional eater.

Last edited by jeaniem; 11-17-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Old 11-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Naltrexone. It hinders dopamine release. It works for some alcoholics and opiate addicts, as well.

I don't use it personally. Low-carb eating stops food binging for me. I do use antabuse to avoid drinking, though.

Whatever is needed to be healthy: imho. Some of us just have chemical imbalances, and we need help or they do us in.

Last edited by moonmirror; 11-17-2011 at 04:56 PM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

jeaniem, I'm so glad you started this thread. What a wealth of different ideas for consideration. I know when binge eating kicked into high gear for me, I was so embarrassed (and still am - but I'm trying to get over it!) to even talk about it. And here we are hearing about a wide variety of ways people have addressed it. I hope you find what works for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emayh View Post
but i've made a lot of progress since starting baclofen.

i don't know if we're allowed to post links(?), but Olivier Ameisen is a cardiologist who used baclofen to treat his own addiction to alcohol. he wrote a book called "the end of my addiction" and has a website with FAQ's if you want more info.
I am really excited to hear that bac is working for you. I closely follow a group of people who have been successful (or are in process of trying) bac for alcohol addiction. I am very interested in the application of bac for both alcohol and potentially eating disorders. I would love to hear more of your story - how you came about starting on bac and what your dosing has been like and what your results have been. Any SE's you may have experienced. I know that's asking a lot and I certainly understand if you aren't comfortable sharing all that. I'm interested in whatever you might care to share! Congratulations on finding your way to freedom.

I guess I should mention that I am familiar with Dr. Ameisen's book and personal story.

DG
Old 11-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
I'm a recovering binger I haven't taken any prescribed medication for it probably because I was way to embarrassed to ever mention it. I hope you find something that works for you.
I am embarrassed too but so desperate I may consider it.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

I am reading a book now about a woman who is recovering from alcoholism and I can't help but see the similarities between binging and alcoholism. The sneaking of extra food, hiding the trash, eating secretly just to name a few. She talks about drinking a bottle of wine and rushing out and buying another bottle so her boyfriend wouldn't know she drank it all, or drinking before going out or coming home so when she drank with others they would only see the amount she was drinking at that time. How many times have I eaten in the car, or in the kitchen while cleaning up after a meal or hid the food containers in the bottom of the trash can. How about going to the store and replacing the foods I have binged on so the rest of the family can have some of it. Funny thing is I used to binge drink and smoke and was able to stop, food is a lot harder.

Last edited by jeaniem; 11-17-2011 at 06:28 PM..
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neapolita
Stats: 239/166/139, 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb - Very Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Is the Topamax something my Dr. would prescribe if I ask for it to control binging.

SSRI's have only worked for a short period of time for me. They stop the binging and I initially lose weight but once my body adapts it stops working.
I don't know. It can't hurt to ask. It was prescribed for me by a bariatric doctor. There's a good article at the link below that describes the pros (reduced binging) and cons (side effects for some users).

Topiramate for Weight Loss and Eating Disorders - Consumer Reports Health
Neapolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Quote:
Funny thing is I used to binge drink and smoke and was able to stop, food is a lot harder.
Booze is much harder for me than food, which is a relatively easy fix for me with a lowcarb diet. Other folks I've heard have the hardest time with cigarettes, which were the easiest out of all three for me to stop! We are all individual.

I hope you find what works for you.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #30
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Quote:
I am embarrassed too but so desperate I may consider it.
I hope you can find the help you deserve. If you need help from your Dr. please ask for it.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote