Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xiaoecho
Why aren't I losing weight?

I started a low carb diet about almost a month ago, for the first week I was eating NO carbs only meat. I am diabetic and my blood sugars went back to normal OVERNIGHT and they have stayed that way. The best part is I am not wanting to eat all the time, all the good thing are happenng except weight loss. I am trying to eat no more than 20gms carbs per day but the weight loss has stopped at two kilos. Why aren't I losing weight???

Is it because I inject insulin?

Last edited by xiaoecho; 10-29-2011 at 05:17 PM..
xiaoecho is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Fixing what's wrong with your body doesn't necessarily mean it will start to lose weight automatically. Congratulations on gaining control of your blood sugars.

A study done on rats showed that even though a low carb high fat diet caused healing and BS control, the LCHF rats didn't lose weight. But they were healthier.

Don't know why you aren't losing;I can't comment on the insulin injections role in it, maybe there is a connection..., hopefully another can chime in on solutions around that.

Hopefully BloodSugar101 might see this and Chime in...

Last edited by metqa; 10-29-2011 at 05:30 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cocoanut
Stats: 274/215/140 5'4"
WOE: VLC to prevent diabetes
Start Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoecho View Post
I started a low carb diet about almost a month ago, for the first week I was eating NO carbs only meat. I am diabetic and my blood sugars went back to normal OVERNIGHT and they have stayed that way. The best part is I am not wanting to eat all the time, all the good thing are happenng except weight loss. I am trying to eat no more than 20gms carbs per day but the weight loss has stopped at two kilos. Why aren't I losing weight???

Is it because I inject insulin?
Several things could be involved.
1) injecting insulin may cause weight gain - or no weight loss
2) how much do you have to loose? If you are near goal weight, it could take a long time to loose that last little bit.
3) How many calories are you eating daily? Calories do count!
4) Are you getting enough fat? When you quit carbs, you should add good fats to your diet.

Are you a Type I or Type 2 diabetic? If you are type 2, you might be able to stop the insulin injections and go to a pill that would not interfere with weight loss.
cocoanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanx metqa and coconut

I have quite a bit to lose, about 30kg and am type 2 diabetic and this is why I expected the weight to come off quickly, at least at first. I am eating plenty of animal fat but not using vegetable oils. I havn't been strictly counting calories but it looks like I will have to. What attracted me to the LC regime was the 'no calorie counting ' aspect of it. My doc is all for this diet and as you say, it is worth pursuing for the health benefits alone. I asked my doctor how insulin dependence will inmpact LC weight loss but he was unable to tell me. Perhaps it its time to post a query on the diabetic thread and get the benefit of other diabetics' LC experience
Old 10-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoecho View Post
Thanx metqa and coconut

I have quite a bit to lose, about 30kg and am type 2 diabetic and this is why I expected the weight to come off quickly, at least at first. I am eating plenty of animal fat but not using vegetable oils. I havn't been strictly counting calories but it looks like I will have to. What attracted me to the LC regime was the 'no calorie counting ' aspect of it. My doc is all for this diet and as you say, it is worth pursuing for the health benefits alone. I asked my doctor how insulin dependence will inmpact LC weight loss but he was unable to tell me. Perhaps it its time to post a query on the diabetic thread and get the benefit of other diabetics' LC experience
I think that is a good idea. It's so complicated, health is. Its not everyone's mantra, but a famous low carber said she'd rather be healthy and a bit overweight than skinny and sick. But It'd nice to be healthy and at a nice weight also.

I was told by a diabetic that it is easier to put on and hold onto fat. He was a rock hard body athletic young man, and while he's not fat at all, he has put on some fat round is torso since he's become diabetic. T1.

I hope you can get more and better answers, there are many who try low carb and don't lose at first or at all, and have to tweak things, but knowing what to tweak is the hard part, lots of personal research to see what works.

What's working so far is your blood sugar is steady so that should make it easier for your bod to do it's job of living and healing, so that's good. I don't know, I think if there is something wrong with the body it focuses on healing first. and that takes priority over burning storage. YOu might be metabolically resistant or a host of other things. Getting checked with the doctor for thyroid problems, yeast infections, inflammation markers is a good way to start to diagnose why your body is not burning storage.

It sounds like you are enjoying the plan and benefitting from it in at least that way, so start looking at other hinderances t loss. Good luck and keep posting, let us know of your findings and progress.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks metqa.

It is only 4 weeks so no reason to panic yet.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
FWIW, my mom is T2 diabetic and on Atkins. She's lost 30 lbs. in 6 months and her blood sugar is stable. She has had to reduce the amount of insulin she uses every month or so (down to 48 units from 60), and she keeps her carbs between 40 and 50. The Atkins people recommend diabetics start at a higher carb level - I don't know if your 20 carbs/day might be causing the problem or not. It could be the initial leveling-out that seems to hit around 4-6 weeks, as your body adjusts, and it could be hormones. Relax and stick with it - your body is getting healthier, so you're clearly doing the right thing. The weight loss will follow in time.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:14 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
The no calorie counting is only partially true. The most important thing is that you stay under the 20 net carbs a day. BUT, because of the lack of carbs you can easily under-eat (if that makes sense). If you're far under the 1,000-1,200 calorie count, your weight loss will stall!

Congratz on keeping your blood level balanced, that is great! Keep it going and here's to a healthier you!
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I would read Dr. Bernstein's book 'The diabetes solution' because he discusses how to adjust your insulin level to match the carbs you eat. I don't know much about this myself (I don't use inuslin) but if you have normalized your blood sugars and are still using the same insulin dosage it may be too much. Check out the book, and talk with your doctor!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cocoanut
Stats: 274/215/140 5'4"
WOE: VLC to prevent diabetes
Start Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
The no calorie counting is only partially true. The most important thing is that you stay under the 20 net carbs a day. BUT, because of the lack of carbs you can easily under-eat (if that makes sense). If you're far under the 1,000-1,200 calorie count, your weight loss will stall!

Congratz on keeping your blood level balanced, that is great! Keep it going and here's to a healthier you!

After I posted the other possible causes of non-weight loss, I thought about the possibility of not eating enough. Eating too little will cause the body to go into starvation mode and make it impossible to loose. Calories count -whether too many or too few.
cocoanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
I agree on the possibility that it may be too few calories. I found when I was losing weight, the optimum calories for me to have consistent weight loss was around 1200 calories (for a guy). And it was a struggle to eat that much as I was never hungry yet I was also committed not to eat if I wasn't hungry (which is a habit I do no want to get into).

So as mentioned above, your body could be in a low metabolism mode due to low calories.

Unfortunately, everyone's body is a bit different so part of being successful with an change in the way you eat is finding out what works best for your body.
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Counting calories IS important. For example: If you are going to eat say 3K calories a day when your body's limit is 2K, you are going to gain.

Also, try mineral water. Adding mineral water (with high concentrations of magnesium especially) got me over a 6 month stall. I added a product called ConcenTrace.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
keeping your blood sugars normal has to be your first priority. don't stop the insulin! every time your blood sugar goes over about 140, damage starts: kidneys, eyes, heart, nerves. it adds up and it's horrible!

having high insulin levels in your blood makes it harder to lose weight, whether you make the insulin yourself naturally, take oral meds that force your body to make it, or inject it. type 2 diabetics are almost all insulin resistant, meaning you need a higher level of insulin in your blood to keep your blood sugars normal.

that makes it harder to lose weight, yes. I lost 120 lb while injecting insulin every day, so it can be done. normally it means you can eat a lot fewer calories than most people your weight in order to lose though.

best of luck!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
If your blood sugars have normalized, then you need to revisit your insulin dosages with your doctor. Maybe you are eating far too much protein and not enough greens or fats? Protein can be converted to glucose, but the rise in blood sugar is much slower. It will still cause in increase in insulin or need for insulin. Insulin can stall weight loss. Insulin resistance is how most of us got fat in the first place. Correcting the insulin resistance should solve the problem of excess fat. The less insulin you need, the less sugar/fat your body will want to store. Talk to your doctor about your medication needs, they might have changed.

Other causes of stalls include too many or too few calories and water intake. You can keep a rough tally of calories and get about to where you should be. You shouldn't have to be too exacting with it. I doubt that calories is your issue. Also, you should drink water like it's going out of style. Ketosis (fat burning) requires a lot more water than a lot of people typically drink. For me, not enough water = a stall. I know I've been skimping on water lately, and I am certainly seeing a major slowdown as a result.

I recommend that you choose a single low carb plan and read the plan's book. You should stick with your chosen plan. Some people tweak their plan, like I do, but only after learning all about a plan first. Gary Taube's "Why We Get Fat" should be required reading for any low carber-- I highly recommend it. It isn't so much a diet book as it is a book about WHY low carb works.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Wow! Thank you to everyone. I was feeling qute disheartened when I clicked on Low Carb Friends this morning but after reading your advice and support feel energised again. It means a lot to me.

The wonderful thing is everyone has given me their advice and none of it contradicts. This is very very heartening. MerryKate thanx for telling me about yr mum, if she can lose weight injecting more insulin than me then I can do it, and Ravenrose, this is exactly what I needed to hear from another lowcarber, that insulin dependance is no bar to LC weight loss.

I am pretty sure I am eating enough calories. I do still eat quite a lot. I have decided to take Domino's wise advice to drink much more water (it can't hurt right?) as well as start looking around for a structured eating plan, at the moment I am favouring Atkins......and Domino, I am dying to read Taubes' "Why we get fat" I have watched every Taubes video I can find on YouTube, he is the reason I decided to try low carb, I am a bit of a fan