LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: HW160/started at 142.8/Current 115 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
Not gonna make goal...again.

Well, November 1st was my final goal date. 110 by November 1st. I'm not gonna make it. I know I have come along way but I didn't make a single goal date that I had set.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Victrola
Stats: Who currently knows?
WOE: Keeping it under 20g daily
Start Date: 11/17/2009
Heather, PLEASE stop setting goal dates! You're making yourself miserable about it and devaluing the amazing progress you have made. Believe me, I know about the goal dates. I've got notebooks full of long lists of dates with various numbers next to them. It has never, ever, ever worked out that way. In fact, unlike you, I end up GAINING when I give myself such strict goals. You've done better than that and stuck to plan even through all the crap you've had piled on your head lately.

Be proud of yourself!
Victrola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks. I am done setting dates. This was the last one I had. Nothing to do now but to keep on going and see if I can lose the last 3 pounds.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lvmom24
Stats: -0
Start Date: never ending
You are doing awesome!!!! I am soooo envious of 113! I would be estatic if I was you!
lvmom24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Dates mean nothing. Set a goal Weight and Celebrate when you get there. I learned that doing HCG, just because they say you can lose so much in so many days doesn't mean your body will want to lose on that time line.

the only reason to set a date is to decide to stop a plan for something that's incompatible, like travel or an event or surgery or something.

And even if you made goal by that date, the date isn't what's important, it's the goal weight and once the day has passed you still have to work to maintain that goal Weight.

It looks like you've come a long way and you should be proud of that journey. Instead of thinking "I'm not xlb by y date", look at "I've lost Xlb in Y days, and still going... How about that!"

ETA: Actually you know what much more fun? Striving till you get to your goal weight and then putting a big bright sticker on you calendar, whatever day that is.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 10-28-2011 at 05:05 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
And...you're wearing a size two woman! This is an awesome loss!

Let's see a little pat on the back for yourself, it's getting frustrating doing this without you...
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Im sorry. I didnt mean to sound like a downer or anything. Just saying, of all the goals I set I didnt make any of them. Once I started doing this for me, I had hope I could meet just one of the dates. I didnt. But I am not stopping this WOE. I feel so much better eating this way.

Can anyone tell me how to calculate body weight lost in %. I used to know how to do that but Im drawing a blank.

I really appreciate y'all encouraging me. And again im sorry i seemed like a downer.
March 86.45
January 71 miles.
February 76 miles
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I agree with everyone on this thread. Celebrate what you've accomplished!

You can't control your body's metabolic processes. You can only control your actions. You're doing amazingly well

From 185 to 113: 72 lbs lost, 38.92% lost

From 142.8 to 113: 29.8. lbs lost, 20.9% lost
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! That seems like a lot more, doesnt it? When you think about percentages, wow! Thanks!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
You aren't being a downer. What I think is happening is you are realizing that you aren't being satisfied by the way you've been making your goals and coming to realize that you might need to change your thinking about it. It's a revelation, and just posting about it will help others who may feel the same way realize that they don't have to set goals in ways that might make them feel bad.

This is not to say that your goals weren't reasonable. they might have been, but it's what you decide when you don't make that goal. If you aren't making your goals then you just need to re-evaluate the goals themselves. Goals are just wishes. If you wish for what you have then it's instantly fulfilled. If you wish for what you know is attainable in the near future, then you will get it soon, if you wish for something that you've never had before, it will be difficult to know if you've got it when you do, and if you wish for something that may be out of reach, even by a smidgen, then you have to accept that you might not reach it. In that case, once it IS within reach, set a new smaller goal to get to that point.

I know it may sound corny, but we should make goals that we KNOW we can achieve, so that we have no excuse for not making them. If you choose a goal that might fail, it can fail but we can't be sad that we failed cause we got closer. But if the goal is just to get closer, you can't fail.

Did that make any sense??
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathie in UT
Stats: No more scale or weighing! 5'4.5"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restarted 7/06 and again 10-2011
Congrats on what you have accomplished so far and as for those 3 pounds well if they come off great if not then so what?
Setting goals is a good thing and if you have stayed on track and really done all you could have then maybe the goal number wasn't realistic in the first place. Not to judge you since don't know you but I sure hope you can maintain the attitude of success even if those last 3 pounds never get lost!
Best of luck with maintaining your loss!
Cathie in UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #12

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, setting weight goals AND date goals is just a recipe for unhappiness.

your goal needs to be behavioral instead. to stick to your plan as long as it takes, which will be till the day you die. looking at it that way, it's easier to say "eh" to a particular date.

good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Who cares about the date - the important thing is that you're moving toward the goal and you'll eventually get there. You look great and you should feel great about yourself too.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
Well, not to go against the grain TOO much, but I get what Heather is saying. I haven't made my goals on time EVER. But, I *had* to set a goal or I would backslide.

On that same vein ... It's not good to dwell on the goal not being hit at the specified time.

Heather: You've still been VERY close to the time you'd predicted. THAT'S AWESOME !!! Maybe your timing is just off by 2 weeks. That's what it sounds like.

Good luck on those last 3 lbs !!! You can do it.
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I learned long ago that they body will follow its OWN schedule. You can only force your body to lose so much..it will have its own pace, sometimes, no matter what you do. It sucks, its tough when you feel you are doing everything right. Honestly, though,If I were only 3 pounds above my goal, I'd be pretty darned happy.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/193 on WW/174since LC Aug 1st/166
Start Date: 8/1/2011
I work with a couple of people who are really competitive athletes and what they have told me about goal setting is that you should only set your goals on things you can control. So for rowing, they do not set a goal time...they set their goals to being able to do so many good strokes in a minute, etc...things that will help they get the time they want.
So as they explained it to me, for weight loss we should set goals on the things we can control - we can control how many carbs and calories we eat, how often we work out, but we can not control the number on the scale...
if we keep doing all the things we can control, sooner or later we'll get that result we want...but setting a goal that we can not control is worthless.

It makes sense to me. Set behavioral goals and the numbers will come...at some point.
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks y'all.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
I learned long ago that they body will follow its OWN schedule. You can only force your body to lose so much..it will have its own pace, sometimes, no matter what you do. It sucks, its tough when you feel you are doing everything right. Honestly, though,If I were only 3 pounds above my goal, I'd be pretty darned happy.

Heather, you are doing fantastic! Look at the big picture instead of focusing on the minutia. You really have every reason to be so proud of yourself!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
YOU are going GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CELEBRATE; DON'T SELF-FLAGELLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote