Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bricole77
Stats: 212/190/105
WOE: Anabolic Diet
Start Date: 9/25/11 restart
Atkins vs. Paleo- Who loses faster?

Hi friends

So I recently read some stuff on Paleo and I really like it. It seems to be back-to-roots eating, the way we were meant to eat.

I've been doing an Atkins type woe, and the weight has been falling off. I'm a little scared to switch my woe to Paleo and slow down, or even (eek) gain weight as Paleo has an allowance or more fruits and veggies, but I've decided Paleo is much more sustainable way of life for me. So I definitely am going to make the switch.

I just wanna know what to expect? I was losing 3-5 lbs a week on Atkins, what kind of results can I expect with Paleo for those of you who have done it, are doing it?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Keep in mind that just because "it's allowed", no one is going to hold you down and make you eat apples lol Adjust it to how YOU feel you do best
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Keep in mind that just because "it's allowed", no one is going to hold you down and make you eat apples lol Adjust it to how YOU feel you do best
Lol, I know

I just have been doing well with no allowance for fruits and little veggies but I have been craving them and really missing them in my diet.

So I thought Paleo might be good...
bricole77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
WOE: JUDDD
LOL!

You WILL eat this apple!!!

I've been reading various threads and tucking them in my brain for AFTER I reach my goal. Or get stuck. As long as low carb is working, I'm going to stick with it. Once it doesn't or I'm truly ready for looooong term - I will probably consider paleo or JUDDD.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
On ATKINS you can eat fruit. I eat all types of fruits each day. I just limit the amount/serving size. I even eat grains. Atkins teaches you how to figure which fruits you can eat and at what point you will try adding them. You may add them or may not add them. Atkins can look just like paleo or it might look like a lot of plans depending on your needs.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Victrola
Stats: Who currently knows?
WOE: Keeping it under 20g daily
Start Date: 11/17/2009
Or you can tweak your own plan! As far as I can see, Paleo allows for more whole carbs such as fruit and possibly beans? The biggest difference is the dairy thing. I believe you're not supposed to have any dairy on Paleo other than ghee.

If you think you have a dairy sensitivity, you may lose better with Paleo but of course it depends on your dairy consumption now.
Victrola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
I do Primal which is basically Paleo + cheese, but eat a low carb version of it. Fruit for me at this point is rare and in tiny servings. I don't eat potatoes either. I occasionally eat some higher carb starchy vegetable, like 1-2 times per week. I lose pretty quickly. I don't weigh very often but have lost from a size 22W to 16W (almost misses 16 now) in 4 months.
Books and Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
I am just coming off of about a month of strict low carb paleo.

I didn't lose weight any faster than when I was on Atkins.

When I did Atkins I ate lots of junk (artificial sweeteners, diet sodas, cheese)

Now I am more primal. I think whether I am strict or eat tons of low carb junk as long as I keep it low carb I lose at the same pace.

My goal is health as well as weightloss so I lean more toward primal/paleo eating.

Last edited by Tonedbody; 10-25-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrola View Post
Or you can tweak your own plan! As far as I can see, Paleo allows for more whole carbs such as fruit and possibly beans? The biggest difference is the dairy thing. I believe you're not supposed to have any dairy on Paleo other than ghee.

If you think you have a dairy sensitivity, you may lose better with Paleo but of course it depends on your dairy consumption now.

The version I was reading was no dairy and no beans. With Atkins Im consuming alot more dairy and it's making me gassy and bloated so I'm thinking I may be one of those yeast sensitive people. The other night I couldn't believe how much cheese I had eaten that day when I stopped and tallied it up for the day.

It's become one of my main food groups

Quote:
I am just coming off of about a month of strict low carb paleo.

I didn't lose weight any faster than when I was on Atkins.

When I did Atkins I ate lots of junk (artificial sweeteners, diet sodas, cheese)

Now I am more primal. I think whether I am strict or eat tons of low carb junk as long as I keep it low carb I lose at the same pace.

My goal is health as well as weightloss so I lean more toward primal/paleo eating.
This^^^

I feel like I've been eating so much crap to adjust to my new woe. Lot's of processed, ham, bacon, sausage..and CHEESE! I'm not big on the diet soda but have been drinking crystal light.

I feel like my body will get more of the nutrients it needs on Paleo. Just MHO.
bricole77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: momof9
Stats: 274.6/220/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 2/2009
i am on paleo. i was on atkins and lost 50 lbs in 6 mon then i lost nothing. when i would try to go low induction carbs i would get sick i would up the carbs and feel good but no weight loss...but no gain. i read the paleo diet book and he said some stuff about losing on atkins then not losingbut not being able to stay low carb.due to feeling bad..that was me. so i did paleo and i broke through my stopping weight by 10 lbs. i am losing slowly but i feel very good. with atkins i was having hypoglycemic times and i felt bad unless i moved up my carbs. now my kids and i do paleo and my husband does atkins. its working for us. atkins was easier but now we have paleo down. we eat no grains, milk products, no bacon (maybe rarely) no beans or peanuts
momof9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
It's funny, but I don't really like fruit and almost NEVER ate it before. On low carb I have berries daily (in my smoothies) and sometimes a bit of melon. I actually eat more fruit on low carb!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassieladyAZ
Stats: 171/143.6/133 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: Feb.2010
I may check into thing Paleo thing...
SassieladyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I think I am going to switch to primal when I am closer to my goal weight...it seems like a more sustainable WOE for me...
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Clabbergirl
WOE: modified paleo/primal
Start Date: 9/14/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof9 View Post
i am on paleo. i was on atkins and lost 50 lbs in 6 mon then i lost nothing. when i would try to go low induction carbs i would get sick i would up the carbs and feel good but no weight loss...but no gain. i read the paleo diet book and he said some stuff about losing on atkins then not losingbut not being able to stay low carb.due to feeling bad..that was me. so i did paleo and i broke through my stopping weight by 10 lbs. i am losing slowly but i feel very good. with atkins i was having hypoglycemic times and i felt bad unless i moved up my carbs. now my kids and i do paleo and my husband does atkins. its working for us. atkins was easier but now we have paleo down. we eat no grains, milk products, no bacon (maybe rarely) no beans or peanuts

Why no bacon?
Clabbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Administrator

Nitrates and preservatives.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Nitrates and preservatives.
but they have the uncurred type..... no nitrates...
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
Administrator

Yes, and I believe both primal and paleo allow those You can also find nitrate free sausages that primal allow. Certainly makes it easier to have all the "comfort" foods available IF you can find them
Old 10-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Rate of loss is probably different for everyone! Find what works for you, and really, if its not broken, don't fix it! Count your blessings if you are losing and keep on plan!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michellew67
Stats: 282/274.2/200 5'3" 44yrs
WOE: Atkinsish/general Low Carb High Protein
Start Date: 13th June 2011 - restart 28th June
I used to follow an Atkins plan and lost approx 3-4lbs a week, i started a fitnesscamp and they follow a paleo type of plan, I have to follow their advice..ie: no processed foods and no dairy. I cant have the cheese but can have goats cheese. When I first started the plan i was eating berries...ie blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, and greek yogurt, I was having banana omelettes too, (although adviced post training) I found my weight loss dropped to 1lb a week, I was obviously upset by my drop in weight loss. Last week I was away and off plan, I am back on induction this week but missing out the fruit full stop..Its really an experiment to see if it was the fructose that was slowing down my weight loss.

First mini Goal reached : 262 20th Aug.
Second Goal reached : 252 1st October.

restarted 28th June 274.2lbs
michellew67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tori43
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: May 4, 2009
I eat Paleo with very limited veggies and fruit.
Tori43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
On ATKINS you can eat fruit. I eat all types of fruits each day. I just limit the amount/serving size. I even eat grains. Atkins teaches you how to figure which fruits you can eat and at what point you will try adding them. You may add them or may not add them. Atkins can look just like paleo or it might look like a lot of plans depending on your needs.

I have not read up on paleo/primal, but isn't it mostly a whole foods Atkins OWL plan? I avoid processed foods, but do love my dairy!! I dont' have any digestive issues from it, but wheat doesn't sit well w. me. I'm fine w.o it. I do like fruits and veggies and that is DEFINITELY a big part of Atkins. Everyone forgets that induction is 2 weeks, not a lifetime .

If your weight loss slows, you can go back to Atkins. You can, and probably should, do Atkins w. as little preservative, artificial, frankenfoods as possible. None of the recipes that I recall from the DANDR book are fake food, just whole, real meats, veggies and seasonings. It's all our creative tweaks - muffins, cakes, puddings etc. that get us away from what Atkins was intended to be.

That's not including their bars and shakes . I don't use them .
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Flirting with going Paleo myself, just to limit the fruits to very low carb ones (berries, melon and lemon/lime) and add the occasional goat cheese.

Surfing on the Paleo forums I see most of them lose at rates comparable to Atkins but they usually control the carbs too
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Clabbergirl
WOE: modified paleo/primal
Start Date: 9/14/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll View Post
Flirting with going Paleo myself, just to limit the fruits to very low carb ones (berries, melon and lemon/lime) and add the occasional goat cheese.

Surfing on the Paleo forums I see most of them lose at rates comparable to Atkins but they usually control the carbs too
It seems to me that the primal plan is basically Atkins without processed foods. Limiting fruits and starchy veggies is something anyone on a low carb plan would do anyway. I started wheat free and low carb, then started reading on paleo and primal and it just made sense without much of a leap at all.

It's not so much a 'you can have this but you can't have that' as it is a 'this does X in your body, and this doesn't - you decide which you'd like to eat'. I have been eating a diet that resembles the primal plan because I haven't yet given up cheese or cream (God help me!), or sweeteners. I haven't lost a great deal of weight, but I have lost inches without any exercise whatsoever and the most marked thing has been the way I feel - much, much better.

It's difficult to describe to someone else because let's face it, this isn't anybody's first rodeo on these forums. Someone says they're eating a certain way, you want to know results. 'Well I feel better' isn't the kind of results most of us are looking for, or lend credibility to. You can't quantify better, it's just too subjective. It's made me question staying with this WOE...that I did not have #'s I could show to my critics. But then I thought, I've never felt this good on any other eating plan and/or exercise regime in my 43 years, and this one is easy to incorporate into my everyday life. If I lose weight, great, if not, that's ok because my mental and physical health has improved in many areas without any medications and/or ritualistic counting. I look thinner and my clothing is starting to loosen - body composition changes without lifting a finger. I don't care what my scale says, I just want my waist and feminine curves back.

Last edited by Clabbergirl; 10-27-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Clabbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
You can do Atkins and still eat "paleo" or "primally." Just eliminate most dairy and fake foods. Viola!

it does not have to be a case of "one or the other."
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clabbergirl View Post
It seems to me that the primal plan is basically Atkins without processed foods. Limiting fruits and starchy veggies is something anyone on a low carb plan would do anyway. I started wheat free and low carb, then started reading on paleo and primal and it just made sense without much of a leap at all.

It's not so much a 'you can have this but you can't have that' as it is a 'this does X in your body, and this doesn't - you decide which you'd like to eat'. I have been eating a diet that resembles the primal plan because I haven't yet given up cheese or cream (God help me!), or sweeteners. I haven't lost a great deal of weight, but I have lost inches without any exercise whatsoever and the most marked thing has been the way I feel - much, much better.

It's difficult to describe to someone else because let's face it, this isn't anybody's first rodeo on these forums. Someone says they're eating a certain way, you want to know results. 'Well I feel better' isn't the kind of results most of us are looking for, or lend credibility to. You can't quantify better, it's just too subjective. It's made me question staying with this WOE...that I did not have #'s I could show to my critics. But then I thought, I've never felt this good on any other eating plan and/or exercise regime in my 43 years, and this one is easy to incorporate into my everyday life. If I lose weight, great, if not, that's ok because my mental and physical health has improved in many areas without any medications and/or ritualistic counting. I look thinner and my clothing is starting to loosen - body composition changes without lifting a finger. I don't care what my scale says, I just want my waist and feminine curves back.
I agree, it may not be quick but it is healthy and sensible and I feel great eating this way!
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote