Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Atkins Vs Primal...... what is the big difference?

Just wondering, I ordered the book on Primal Blueprint...... but still waiting on it. Are they both not low carb? What is the big difference? I see alot of good success on the website...although mostly men
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
This explains pretty well.

Primal can be low carb. There is more allowance for fruit and tubers (sweet potatoes, etc.)
As you work your way up the rungs on Atkins, you could end up pretty much at Primal. IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paleo-primal-lc.jpg (49.5 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by BigRunner; 10-19-2011 at 08:20 AM..
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
dairy?
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
If Primal is the same as Paleo, I don't believe legumes are allowed. I think dairy is a gray area...we evolved to be able to tolerate dairy past infancy, but originally we probably didn't (And there are still many folks who can't)

I think the big difference is in terms of ideology. Primal/Paleo is all about eating as our ancestors are as the creators of it don't believe that evolution has caught up with food processing. Atkins is about carb funcationality and using ketosis as a means for weight loss. In terms of what you actually eat, I think there are a lot of similarities.

I think Primal/Paleo also appeals to certain subsets and it seems to be really big with the Cross Fit peeps (which is probably why you see a lot of men).

ETA: I don't do either, this is just what I've gathered from past readings. Someone who actually follows it might be able to clarify better and the picture above is good.

Last edited by TigerlilyCA; 10-19-2011 at 08:49 AM..
TigerlilyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I think I should switch my WOE status, I don't consume dairy or grain so I'm more in paleo than Atkins although I keep carbs low so not much roots, tubers, and fruit. Thanks for the visual.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Clabbergirl
WOE: modified paleo/primal
Start Date: 9/14/11
Atkins - carb controlled; meat, vegetables, fruit, dairy, grains

Primal - meat, vegetables, berries, dairy

Paleo - meat, vegetables, berries

Here's a great illustration from HuntGatherLove.

Last edited by Clabbergirl; 10-19-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Clabbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
I think it comes down to food quality. This was mentioned in a paleolithic thread but Atkins is more concerned about carb count. Paleo & Primal eating is more concerned about quality whole food nutrition.

There is no diet soda, splenda, carbquick, or low carb junk on paleo and primal plans.

It is very whole food oriented, the focus is on eating like our ancestors would have eaten.
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerlilyCA View Post
If Primal is the same as Paleo, I don't believe legumes are allowed. I think dairy is a gray area...we evolved to be able to tolerate dairy past infancy, but originally we probably didn't (And there are still many folks who can't)

I think the big difference is in terms of ideology. Primal/Paleo is all about eating as our ancestors are as the creators of it don't believe that evolution has caught up with food processing. Atkins is about carb funcationality and using ketosis as a means for weight loss. In terms of what you actually eat, I think there are a lot of similarities.

I think Primal/Paleo also appeals to certain subsets and it seems to be really big with the Cross Fit peeps (which is probably why you see a lot of men).

ETA: I don't do either, this is just what I've gathered from past readings. Someone who actually follows it might be able to clarify better and the picture above is good.
The big difference is dairy. Primal allows it and most Paleo people don't. Some Paleo people will allow it but most do not.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
WOE: JUDDD
I really gotta slow down when I'm reading some of these threads - I thought the diagram said that the Primal Diet allowed Fruit Loops!

Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #10

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the big difference for ME is that if I ate the range of foods Primal diets suggest, I would gain weight (unless I stuck to starvation calorie levels.) Some (most?) of us here are too sensitive to carbs to eat stuff like fruit and sweet potatoes regularly!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedbody View Post
I think it comes down to food quality. This was mentioned in a paleolithic thread but Atkins is more concerned about carb count. Paleo & Primal eating is more concerned about quality whole food nutrition.

There is no diet soda, splenda, carbquick, or low carb junk on paleo and primal plans.

It is very whole food oriented, the focus is on eating like our ancestors would have eaten.
I think that's the main distinction. On Atkins/low carb, as long as it is lc you can technically eat it even if it is just lc junk, but primal/paleo are mostly whole foods and people get more into food quality/local food/organic/ and phasing out reliance on processed foods. Many do lower carb for the weight loss phase. It's basically what I would call eating clean on Atkins, or a whole foods Atkins (since you add higher rung foods later), with limited dairy.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 10-19-2011 at 11:13 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Clabbergirl
WOE: modified paleo/primal
Start Date: 9/14/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
the big difference for ME is that if I ate the range of foods Primal diets suggest, I would gain weight (unless I stuck to starvation calorie levels.) Some (most?) of us here are too sensitive to carbs to eat stuff like fruit and sweet potatoes regularly!
I don't eat fruit or starchy vegetables either, for the same reason. It's my understanding that you must limit fruit and starches if that is the case, even Paleo/Primal.
Clabbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nanberrycritter
Stats: 315/283/135 5'5" age 42 (scale-free since Dec)
WOE: LC primal + raw dairy
Start Date: ketogenic since Dec 20, 2010
Another difference is fat/oil. On Paleo/Primal no soybean, corn, canola, sunflower, safflower, cottonseed, or peanut oils. Coconut, olive, and any animal fats are good. Butter/ghee is primal but not paleo.
nanberrycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
The major difference between primal eating and Atkins is grains. Atkins allows them, and primal eating doesn't.

Also, primal eating is isn't necessarily low carb.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Primal/paleo is about eliminating fake, processed foods and all grains.
The whole30 challenge a few of us did is very restricted- no dairy(not even butter or ghee), no sweeteners(not even stevia), but the basic paleo plan isn't as strict.
Primal allows for stevia, butter, some dairy (but should be limited).
Over all they're both about clean, natural eating.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #16

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelio View Post
I really gotta slow down when I'm reading some of these threads - I thought the diagram said that the Primal Diet allowed Fruit Loops!

CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
The big difference is dairy. Primal allows it and most Paleo people don't. Some Paleo people will allow it but most do not.
The big difference between Primal and Paleo may be dairy, but that wasn't the question.

ETA: I was talking about dairy being a gray area in Primal (Mark Sisson refers to it being in "primal limbo")

Last edited by TigerlilyCA; 10-19-2011 at 12:30 PM..
TigerlilyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
It is sort of interesting that low carb generally allows the hair of the dog that bit us, albeit in small and CONTROLLED amounts: wheat and other grains, legumes and starchy vegetables, fruits, artificial sweeteners. It also allows frankenfoods.

Paleo/primal allow only whole foods, no grains, no artificial sweetenders. Primal permits dairy. Both allow more carbs than low carb in the form of fruit and starchy vegetables. Honey is permitted.

There's also a fitness component to paleo/primal--short sprints and short bursts of heavy lifting and pushing--the kind of stuff a caveman would do.

I'm low carbing but trying to lean a bit more primal in my WOE--mostly whole foods, grass fed beef (we're lucky to have an inexpensive source) and, when I can, I get dairy and eggs from pastured animals (can't afford raw milk products). I've cut out legumes and grains entirely, even though I could be eating them in small amounts on low carb.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
I follow the Primal Blueprint. I can confirm what others are saying about this WOE having less processed foods and more whole foods.

Dairy is in kind of a gray area. I eat some, but not very much. Probably an ounce 3-4 times per week.

All meats and low carb veggies are encouraged. Fats are encouraged if they are not overly processed. Berries and sweet potatoes are ok for maintenance, but Sisson warns people who are trying to lose weight to restrict them. At this point, I am avoiding them.

Eggs are ok, nuts are ok. Wine is ok in small amounts. Dark chocolate is ok in small amounts.

Grains are totally out even if they are low carb.

I eat this way because I feel better on whole foods and like knowing that I am not accidentally eating something in an unknown ingredient that may interfere with weight loss. Plus I like basic uncomplicated foods.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #20

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
It is sort of interesting that low carb generally allows the hair of the dog that bit us, albeit in small and CONTROLLED amounts: wheat and other grains, legumes and starchy vegetables, fruits, artificial sweeteners. It also allows frankenfoods.
The first book that Atkins wrote really restricted a lot of these things, moreso than the later versions. Also, a lot of todays items didnt exist. Heck, ranch dressing didnt exist back then! I think the Atkins Group included a lot of things in the later versions to appeal to the masses. I much prefer the '72 version.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #21
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
The first book that Atkins wrote really restricted a lot of these things, moreso than the later versions. Also, a lot of todays items didnt exist. Heck, ranch dressing didnt exist back then! I think the Atkins Group included a lot of things in the later versions to appeal to the masses. I much prefer the '72 version.
He loved soya powder, though. I had to live through soy flour recipes in the 80's. I will say we loved D-Zerta, though...
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I will add my son is doing Primal Blueprint, he started Feb 13 and by Aug 13 was down 60 pounds. I am so impressed I am going to read the book.

His wife just had their 3rd child 3 weeks ago and has started PB as of monday. She is having a very hard time becuase she is very carb addicted, so we will see how this goes with her. She has always used WW to lose the baby weight.

He eats nothing processed, nothing bad it drives me crazy because I have such a hard time cooking a Sunday dinner for him.

Dinner
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ktgrok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
I will add my son is doing Primal Blueprint, he started Feb 13 and by Aug 13 was down 60 pounds. I am so impressed I am going to read the book.

His wife just had their 3rd child 3 weeks ago and has started PB as of monday. She is having a very hard time becuase she is very carb addicted, so we will see how this goes with her. She has always used WW to lose the baby weight.

He eats nothing processed, nothing bad it drives me crazy because I have such a hard time cooking a Sunday dinner for him.

Dinner
Roast Beef with carrots, onions, and some red potatoes. He can avoid the potatoes if he wants.

Roast chicken, same as above.

Roast turkey, same as above.

Salmon, roasted veggies (I toss bags of frozen veggies in oil and roast at 275 for at least 20 minutes), salad

Taco salad.
ktgrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
Heck, ranch dressing didnt exist back then!
Actually, Hidden Valley Ranch dressing was invented in the 1950s... And for years before that, esp in the South were oil was scarce and expensive after the civil war, people had been using sour cream and buttermilk based dressings.

Atkins did allow alot of processed foods, gelatin, artificial sweetners, soy flour. Dont get me wrong, I love the guy and he pioneered low carb eating, but he really didnt have a huge focus on organic whole foods, it was all focused on carb counts.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
Atkins did allow alot of processed foods, gelatin, artificial sweetners, soy flour. Dont get me wrong, I love the guy and he pioneered low carb eating, but he really didnt have a huge focus on organic whole foods, it was all focused on carb counts.
Atkins was very much a guy of his times. That's how people ate in the 70's and 80's when Atkins was in his prime. Nobody ever heard of 'grass fed beef" or "pastured" animals, soy was the miracle food, packaged foods were considered man's gift to woman-kind (because in the 70's and 80's we could finally work for a living AND cook the food), and nobody understood the dangers of PUFA's, and conventional agriculture was happening, but the general public didn't want to know about it.

I suspect that if Atkins was around today, he'd be telling everyone to eat more cleanly--pastured, grass-fed, organic, avoiding soy, etc. But in the context of his time, he was way ahead.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Atkins was very much a guy of his times. That's how people ate in the 70's and 80's when Atkins was in his prime. Nobody ever heard of 'grass fed beef" or "pastured" animals, soy was the miracle food, packaged foods were considered man's gift to woman-kind (because in the 70's and 80's we could finally work for a living AND cook the food), and nobody understood the dangers of PUFA's, and conventional agriculture was happening, but the general public didn't want to know about it.

I suspect that if Atkins was around today, he'd be telling everyone to eat more cleanly--pastured, grass-fed, organic, avoiding soy, etc. But in the context of his time, he was way ahead.
Agreed.

I don't eat most of the packaged "low carb" foods that are around, I stick to food food, with few ingredients, mostly what I can pronounce (except for diet soda). But, just like someone on WW could eat only Oreos and technically be within their points, someone could fill up on crappy "LC" food too. I choose not to.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #27

Gallery: Puppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Agreed.

I don't eat most of the packaged "low carb" foods that are around, I stick to food food, with few ingredients, mostly what I can pronounce (except for diet soda). But, just like someone on WW could eat only Oreos and technically be within their points, someone could fill up on crappy "LC" food too. I choose not to.
Me either. I stay away from frankenfoods. The only thing I do that is not real food is artificial sweetener which I am attempting to ween myself from. I have never had an Atkins bar or the like.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
Yup. A clean Atkins that excludes some of the higher rung foods has been best for me. Too much starch on Paleo/Primal plans, and I'm doing okay with dairy these days so long as it is high fat and I'm not also eating things like grains, which flare up my sensitivities.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I think a big difference is that Atkins is weight loss plan
Paleo is a lifestyle plan, that may or may not cause you to lose weight,
but certainly can't be faulted for it's health benefits.
the difficulty with going full paleo is finding the foods AS THEY WERE WHEN OUR ANCESTORS ATE THEM....That means foods grown without any gmo, fertilizer or insectiside etc. Meats that are free range animals with no hormones or grain feeding etc.
fish that are wild caught (forget about "from clean water" cause that is simply impossible)
and so on. It's also likely that our paleo ancestors endured periods of fasting due to lean times.
All we can do is eat as healthy as our availability and budgets will allow.
the typical American diet is so horrible that it doesn't take much effort to vastly improve on it. Fortunately there is growning awareness about healthy food choices. Even at Walmart I can meet most of my lc and healthy needs. Main exception is grass fed meat.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I think a big difference is that Atkins is weight loss plan
Paleo is a lifestyle plan, that may or may not cause you to lose weight,
but certainly can't be faulted for it's health benefits.
the difficulty with going full paleo is finding the foods AS THEY WERE WHEN OUR ANCESTORS ATE THEM....That means foods grown without any gmo, fertilizer or insectiside etc. Meats that are free range animals with no hormones or grain feeding etc.
fish that are wild caught (forget about "from clean water" cause that is simply impossible)
and so on. It's also likely that our paleo ancestors endured periods of fasting due to lean times.
All we can do is eat as healthy as our availability and budgets will allow.
the typical American diet is so horrible that it doesn't take much effort to vastly improve on it. Fortunately there is growning awareness about healthy food choices. Even at Walmart I can meet most of my lc and healthy needs. Main exception is grass fed meat.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote