Old 10-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jesse2012
Stats: 220/220/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
Big Problem with Smart Carb Bread!

Hello group.

Today, I went and purchased Smart Carb bread by Julian Bakery.
It states there is only 1 net carb per slice. Well, I measured my blood sugar before eating and it was 99. I ate a tuna sandwich with 2 slices of the mentioned bread. I was shocked to see that my blood sugar had risen to over 145 after 1 hour of eating the bread. I ate pure protein with the bread to make sure there were no other factors involved in my test.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it the wheat or are the net carbs inaccurate?

I find it really difficult to eat without bread/sandwiches. Does anyone know of a true low carb bread (either bought or home-made recipe) that does not raise blood sugar?

Thanks!
Jesse
jesse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
What was your blood glucose at 2 hours after eating? For myself it should be under 120 at two hours per my dr? Mostly I'm back down to 85 within one hour. Why not try an open face sandwich with one slice and test again at one hour and two hours then access. There are plenty of different recipes in the recipe section you could try to substitute one of them. I'm not missing bread at all myself.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Jimmy Moore (of living la vida low carb) concluded that low carb bread and pasta reacted the same as the regular on his blood sugar......google 'Jimmy MOore's n=1 experiments:
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Has anyone tried JULIAN BAKERY???
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berries&cream
Start Date: October 13, 2011
2 carbs should not have raised blood sugar by more than a few points.

The products are a problem for a lot of people, and I know a lot of people avoid them for this reason. Because they act just like real carbs even though they say they shouldn't is likely why. People usually don't lose well with them.
berries&cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Peakay
Stats: 98 Kilos Start - Now 79 Kilos - Goal 75 Kilos
WOE: I cut carbs - no particular diet -
Start Date: August 20, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2012 View Post
Hello group.

Today, I went and purchased Smart Carb bread by Julian Bakery.
It states there is only 1 net carb per slice. Well, I measured my blood sugar before eating and it was 99. I ate a tuna sandwich with 2 slices of the mentioned bread. I was shocked to see that my blood sugar had risen to over 145 after 1 hour of eating the bread. I ate pure protein with the bread to make sure there were no other factors involved in my test.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it the wheat or are the net carbs inaccurate?

I find it really difficult to eat without bread/sandwiches. Does anyone know of a true low carb bread (either bought or home-made recipe) that does not raise blood sugar?

Thanks!
Jesse
From my understanding the AACE states that your 2 hour post meal should be below 140 mg/dl or 7.7 mmo/l.

1 hour marks are no longer taken into account so you should try your best to not worry about your 1 hour mark.

I am Impaired Glucose Tolerant and my doctor wants me to be below 126 mg/dl or 7mmo/l at the 2 hour mark, which 99% of the time I am; sometimes I have something that sets it off, and when I re-visit it, it is fine - so I am not sure what it can be.

Take your reading again at the 2 hour mark, that is what is important.

There is no "low-carb" bread to me, I say again, to me - But there is a low GI bread.

Do a google search for this: "bonjour bread flax seeds"
Peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
Administrator

Can't find the list of ingredients for the BonJour bread, but I see a lot of hits calling it "12 grain" and the sites I've seen show 29g carbs and only 5g fiber for 2 slices, which is pretty high carb.
The bread actually sounds exactly like the Julian Bakery one being discussed here.
If you have that brand of bread, can you post the ingredients from the label?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:37 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Can't find the list of ingredients for the BonJour bread, but I see a lot of hits calling it "12 grain" and the sites I've seen show 29g carbs and only 5g fiber for 2 slices, which is pretty high carb.
The bread actually sounds exactly like the Julian Bakery one being discussed here.
If you have that brand of bread, can you post the ingredients from the label?
I am new here, can outside links be posted?

It is 29 grams per 2 slices - my mom is diabetic, and it is the only bread that works for both she and I.

Let me write it out for you:

1 Serving = 2 Slices

Total Fat 4 g (6%)
- Saturated Fat 1 g (5%)
Cholesterol 0 mg (0%)
Sodium 260 mg (11%)
Potassium 0 mg (0%)
Total Carbohydrate 29 g (10%)
Protein 8 g (16%)
Old 10-17-2011, 04:39 AM   #9
Administrator

No links to sales sites are allowed.
Can you post the actual ingredients in the bread? The nutritional info is available, but I couldn't find anything about the ingredients except that it's a 12 grain bread and made in Singapore?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
Administrator

Here's a basic rundown of the TOS about links - it's shorter than the full TOS and deals with links and directs to sites
Terms of Service - Policy Modification
Old 10-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
No links to sales sites are allowed.
Can you post the actual ingredients in the bread? The nutritional info is available, but I couldn't find anything about the ingredients except that it's a 12 grain bread and made in Singapore?
Here it goes:

1.) Flax Seeds
2.) Purple wheat flakes
3.) Corn grits
4.) Rye flakes
5.) Triticale flakes
6.) Barley flakes
7.) Millets
8.) Sunflower seeds
9.) Sesame seeds
10.) Rolled oats
11.) Whole Spelt flakes
12.) Quinoa

Wheat gluten - Granulated sugar - Oat fibre - Skimmed milk powder - Vegetable oil - Vaccum salt - Baker's yeast - Dough conditioners - Yeast nutrients - Thiamine (Vit B1) - Riboflavin (Vit B2) - Niacin (Vit B3) - Iron - Folate - Calcium propionate

Thank you for the TOS.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I have recently read Wheat Belly and it explains why grains no matter how high fiber ...especially wheat...raise blood sugar levels more than table sugar or a candy bar...if this is happening to you you may want to read the book.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I have recently read Wheat Belly and it explains why grains no matter how high fiber ...especially wheat...raise blood sugar levels more than table sugar or a candy bar...if this is happening to you you may want to read the book.
Yep

Davis is also recommending one hour post prandial readings not 2 hour. I believe Jenny bloodsugar 101 is also recommending this.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neapolita
Stats: 239/166/139, 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb - Very Low Carb
I eat the Julian Bakery Smart Carb #1 bread. A serving is 1 slice and is supposed to be 1 net carb (13g of carbs, 12 are fiber). I don't check my blood sugar so I can't say if it raises blood sugar or not. I do tend to have more cravings when I eat it, so I don't eat it too often, and I never eat more than 1 slice at a time.

Nutrition Label:
Serving Size, 1 slice
Servings Per Loaf, Approx. 14

Amount Per Serving
Calories 109
Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1g
Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 140mg
Total Carbohydrate 13g
Dietary Fiber 12g
Net Carbs 1g
Sugars 0g
Protein 12g

Ingredients: Fresh Ground Whole Grain *Wheat, Sprouts of *Kamut, *Spelt, *Rye, Lentils, Sesame Seeds, *Millet, *Quinoa, *Amaranth, Ground Flaxseed, *Wheat Bran, Oat Bran, Eggs, Undenatured Whey Protein Isolate (90%), Chicory Root (Inulin Fiber), Wheat Protein Isolate, Yeast & Sea Salt.
*Organically Grown

Last edited by Neapolita; 10-17-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Neapolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
That sounds like an interesting read. I have a much more violent blood sugar reaction to wheat products than sugars or rice. Do you know why some people have this?
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Clabbergirl
WOE: modified paleo/primal
Start Date: 9/14/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakay View Post
Here it goes:

1.) Flax Seeds
2.) Purple wheat flakes
3.) Corn grits
4.) Rye flakes
5.) Triticale flakes
6.) Barley flakes
7.) Millets
8.) Sunflower seeds
9.) Sesame seeds
10.) Rolled oats
11.) Whole Spelt flakes
12.) Quinoa

Wheat gluten - Granulated sugar - Oat fibre - Skimmed milk powder - Vegetable oil - Vaccum salt - Baker's yeast - Dough conditioners - Yeast nutrients - Thiamine (Vit B1) - Riboflavin (Vit B2) - Niacin (Vit B3) - Iron - Folate - Calcium propionate

Thank you for the TOS.
All the wheat - that explains it easily. Wheat raises blood sugar level more than sugar.
Clabbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
That sounds like an interesting read. I have a much more violent blood sugar reaction to wheat products than sugars or rice. Do you know why some people have this?
Dr Davis explains that the wheat we eat today has been genetically altered. It contains contains amylopectin-a ...this is specific to grains especially wheat and has an affect on the body making bread NO matter what grain it is made of raise blood sugar to higher levels than table sugar.

Flax and almond and coconut flours are from seeds and nuts not grain...thatt is why some chose to make breads from these.

Some parts of the book can be a little scientific but he counteracts it with a little humor...It is a very enlightening read.

btw congrats on your progress so far...we started out at pretty much the same weight.

Last edited by lterry913; 10-17-2011 at 01:16 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for the information!

Hi group,

Thank you everyone for your information - it definitely helped!

It must be the wheat in the low carb bread that is spiking my blood sugar. And I got proof of it this morning. I ate a Wasa fiber crispbread which only has 6 net carbs (8 total carbs). I put some tuna (protein only) on it. I tested my blood sugar after one hour and it had gone from 90 to 145. The plan I am following is Dr. Bernstein's book and I don't want my blood sugar going over 125 and definitely not over 140 (at any time).

Over a 50 point rise from eating one small crisp bread! I threw them in the trash and won't be eating them again. I will also buy that book that was suggested called Wheat Belly and, hopefully, that will help explain why a little bit of wheat makes my blood sugar go crazy.

Now that I know I cannot eat wheat and, most likely, gluten too.......do you think there are any decent tasting recipes for either bread or tortillas that do not use wheat or gluten but are still low carb? I'm not a great cook so I don't know if bread/tortillas can be made from almond flour (which is not a grain, fortunately).

Thanks again everybody!

Jesse
Old 10-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

There are lots of recipes for gluten free and low carb bread and wraps...some are made in the microwave and others are a lil more work and made in the oven. I have made some wraps that you press out between parchment paper and bake...these worked well but they had chia seeds and quinoa flours in them...I don't care for those ingredients (jmo the chia tasted funny to me) so I may substitute or try Lauren's low carb wraps next.

I am trying to get away from wheat myself but in a pinch ( it is blt season lol) have used the flat out light wraps...you could try one and see if it affects your blood sugar the same way...I really don't know how much wheat or gluten is in them compared to the bread that is.

Like I said tho, I really am trying to find alternatives to wheat.

Last edited by lterry913; 10-17-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clabbergirl View Post
All the wheat - that explains it easily. Wheat raises blood sugar level more than sugar.
Oh I did not know that, is there any online literature I can read about here?
Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakay View Post
Oh I did not know that, is there any online literature I can read about here?
The book Wheat Belly or any articles you can google or youtube on it.
The Dr explains there were studies done on the impact of bread on blood sugar levels and it rating on the glycemic index chart. So googleing any of this might help.

It makes for some very interesting reading.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

I purchased the book you suggested, Wheat Belly. I"m looking forward to reading it. Would you know of a recipe that you tried and liked for gluten free & low carb bread or wrap? Could you post it for me or send me to the web page?

I was at the bookstore today and one of the books said I can make gluten free/wheat free bread at home but it won't be low carb. I'm just starting out low carb and I'm not ready to give up my sandwiches yet.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
The book Wheat Belly or any articles you can google or youtube on it.
The Dr explains there were studies done on the impact of bread on blood sugar levels and it rating on the glycemic index chart. So googleing any of this might help.

It makes for some very interesting reading.
Thank you, I did a search, very interesting.

I see Carbs and poison now, and my life has improved greatly with having a human diet. I am glad to know that Wheat is bad news.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #24

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
Davis also claims that nutritionists have known about this spike for more than 30 years.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:42 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2012 View Post
I purchased the book you suggested, Wheat Belly. I"m looking forward to reading it. Would you know of a recipe that you tried and liked for gluten free & low carb bread or wrap? Could you post it for me or send me to the web page?

I was at the bookstore today and one of the books said I can make gluten free/wheat free bread at home but it won't be low carb. I'm just starting out low carb and I'm not ready to give up my sandwiches yet.

Thanks!
There are recipes for low carb breads on this site in the Recipe room.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Have you tested how you react to corn tortillas? I spike with wheat, but corn shells don't raise my BG. I don't eat them often though since they are still a grain/carby, but it's nice to know I can if I choose to.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evajones
Smart Carb Bread

I don't know about your blood sugar but they just changed the recipe so now instead of 12 gm fiber and 1 net carb there is now 1 gm fiber and 3 net carbs! It tastes bad and now it feels like I'm eating a sponge
evajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #28

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Here is a great recipe for "real" tasting rye bread..

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...uten-free.html
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #29

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
you could try the revolution rolls. Sandwiches are something I really miss when lowcarbing...I just have to make do without them though. I tried low carb tortillas and they knocked me out of ketosis
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote