Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GetUpKate
A 4 Pound Weight Gain Overnight????

I woke up this morning, my 8th day on Induction, and was shocked to see I gained 4 pounds overnight. What would cause this? I don't believe it is that TOM (I am in beginning stages of menopause). I have been on induction for a week and have stayed at or under 20 grams until yesterday when I had 26c. Well, 6 of those carbs was from a Tablespoon of real syrup. I also had 1g full of Vinegar & Salt Almonds (I didn't know we couldn't have nuts on Induction). What do you suppose would cause 4 whole pounds???
GetUpKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
I bet it's water weight from the salty almonds and eating the real syrup. Ditch those things and stay the course, those 4#'s plus maybe a few more will vanish.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquirsw
Stats: 236/209.0/160
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Aug 31st
Please don't worrry about this.

I am a habitual daily weigher and even have a program that puts it all on a chart for me, because of this I have seen lots of trends and one is that regularly I have a big gain on the scales one day, but a couple of days later I will have lost it and normally a couple of pounds more as well. You have to trust your body knows what it is doing, as long as you are sticking to the plan and not going over your carb allowance and are in ketosis then any gain on the scales are just going to be transient as your body does all the processes it needs to do in order to get rid of all our fat.
jacquirsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquirsw View Post
Please don't worrry about this.

I am a habitual daily weigher and even have a program that puts it all on a chart for me, because of this I have seen lots of trends and one is that regularly I have a big gain on the scales one day, but a couple of days later I will have lost it and normally a couple of pounds more as well. You have to trust your body knows what it is doing, as long as you are sticking to the plan and not going over your carb allowance and are in ketosis then any gain on the scales are just going to be transient as your body does all the processes it needs to do in order to get rid of all our fat.
Could i ask what the program is, please?

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tcalhoun72
Stats: 300/205/140 5'4"- Age 39
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/2011
Kate... I agree with jac.

Just stick to your plan and it will go away in a couple of days. It isn't anything to get upset about or worry about.

I am also a daily weigher and I know my trends. Some days I'm up, some days I stay the same and some days I lose but the overall trend is weight loss... I've lost 80lbs in 8 months and I can say that I know for sure that it is just water weight and it will disappear in a couple of days.
tcalhoun72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
My recommendation: I never stayed on lc as long as I have without weighing all the time.

Go do one month induction. Then weigh.

99 percent of the time there's a significant weight loss, AT LEAST a size down. Put your scale in the closet for a month.

Last edited by moonmirror; 09-28-2011 at 01:22 PM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: errihu
Stats: 290/242/165
WOE: Paleo/Atkins/HCG R2 Jan 4
Start Date: January 25, 2011
4 lbs is almost always water weight. I doubt it's humanly possible for most of us to eat enough food in a day to make up 4 lbs of fat.
errihu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I have been LC'g for two months and weigh myself constantly but never had a 4lb weight gain. How odd that now that I am on Induction, I gain back everything I lost! But thank you all for taking the time to reply. -Kate
Old 09-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetUpKate View Post
I woke up this morning, my 8th day on Induction, and was shocked to see I gained 4 pounds overnight. What would cause this? I don't believe it is that TOM (I am in beginning stages of menopause). I have been on induction for a week and have stayed at or under 20 grams until yesterday when I had 26c. Well, 6 of those carbs was from a Tablespoon of real syrup. I also had 1g full of Vinegar & Salt Almonds (I didn't know we couldn't have nuts on Induction). What do you suppose would cause 4 whole pounds???
Hormones are crazy, may be time to get a thorough check up.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
Water weight, definitely. Ditch the salty nuts and drink lots of water and I'm sure you'll lose those 4 lbs in a matter of days...
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
This is the reason I chose not to weigh this time. Every time I've tried to lose weight in the last few years I would get discouraged if my weight went up or stayed the same for a long time early in my new way of eating. This would make me give up every time after only 2-3 weeks. This time, I decided to just eat better and watch my clothes get looser.

I may buy a scale as I get closer to goal so I can find a good way of eating for maintenance, but for now this is working well for me.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
I agree with everyone else. It's water retention AND the very reason I no longer weigh often. (I was neurotic about it and weighed SEVERAL times a day. I sometimes think the STRESS of losing was keeping me from losing.)

Drink lots of water to flush out the retention, stay on Induction for a couple more weeks, and break up with the scales. You'll get a better idea of how much you're losing by keeping up with your measurements (Don't measure more than ONCE a month !!!) and keep a pair of "Goal Pants" in the next smaller size.

Good luck !!! Keep posting. The more you post, the more features available will be MADE accessible to you !!! The folks here are great. Without them to answer my specific questions, I probably would have given up long ago.
Vanity Goal: 128 lbs and Ready for Bikini Weather next summer
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
H2O Weight.

Less Sodium, More Water, to make it go away.

I can swing 5 lbs easily with water gain/loss. Also my weight fluctuates at least 2 lbs over the course of the day, depending on ins and outs.

FYI 15 ounces of water weights about a lb I think.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
Could i ask what the program is, please?

hugs
Jo
x
it is provided by soundtells.

this link should work

Free Weight Tracker for PC, PDA, and other mobile devices - Log and Track Your Weight. SoundTells®. Software for Health™
Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalhoun72 View Post
Kate... I agree with jac.

Just stick to your plan and it will go away in a couple of days. It isn't anything to get upset about or worry about.

I am also a daily weigher and I know my trends. Some days I'm up, some days I stay the same and some days I lose but the overall trend is weight loss... I've lost 80lbs in 8 months and I can say that I know for sure that it is just water weight and it will disappear in a couple of days.
great weight loss. Have you done all of that with LC or have you done ohter things along the way as well
Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Clabbergirl
WOE: modified paleo/primal
Start Date: 9/14/11
This might be out there, but are you sure your scale is accurate and gives reliable results? I paid a lot of money for a scale once upon a time and would have near-impossible weight fluctuations. Then I moved. And discovered I weighed less in the new place than I did in the old on the same day. Moved the scales around and what do you know, I weighed less when I put it on a tile floor than I did on hardwood, and could even make it fluctuate depending on which foot I stepped on with first, or which which direction I leaned, even the slightest. I am a slave to the scale no longer. It's a long shot, but maybe your scale isn't reliable.
Clabbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Nope. It is all from Low Carb. I have Type 2 diabetes and now have complete control over my blood sugar. I don't consider this a diet but a woe for life.

Quote:
great weight loss. Have you done all of that with LC or have you done ohter things along the way as well
Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Yes... this too! My first scale was crap and now I have a reliable one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clabbergirl View Post
This might be out there, but are you sure your scale is accurate and gives reliable results? I paid a lot of money for a scale once upon a time and would have near-impossible weight fluctuations. Then I moved. And discovered I weighed less in the new place than I did in the old on the same day. Moved the scales around and what do you know, I weighed less when I put it on a tile floor than I did on hardwood, and could even make it fluctuate depending on which foot I stepped on with first, or which which direction I leaned, even the slightest. I am a slave to the scale no longer. It's a long shot, but maybe your scale isn't reliable.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/243.2/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online
Start Date: September 12 2014
Quote:
I can gain that much if I re-introduce sugar. Might have kicked you out of ketosis?
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
I downloaded it! thankyou!

jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Well, you were all correct - I lost 1 pound per day over the next 4 days and the 4 pounds came off. But then I ate some more Salt & Vinegar Almonds and gained 2 lbs. It came off in two days. Then I ate some more - woke up the next day, gained 1 pound. It's the almonds! Even though I'm only eating 2 carbs worth, I think it's a problem for me. I have sworn them off for a week or two as part of my "experiment".

Just a note....had I been weighing myself once a week I never would have discovered this so, at this point, I think weighing myself daily is a good way to get to know how my body reacts to certain foods. In my 51 years of living I never noticed weight gain over nuts, of course I was never this in tune with my eating habits!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Clabbergirl
WOE: modified paleo/primal
Start Date: 9/14/11
Here's a thought - maybe it's the salt in the Salt & Vinegar almonds and not the almonds?
Clabbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I really don't think it's the almonds that's causing it, especially if you're only having 2 carbs worth. I agree with Clabbergirl, it's more likely the salt and possible other flavorings added that's making you retain water, which also explains why those pounds drop so quickly the days after you eat them.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Yep, I agree. I couldn't find evidence that many folks suffered from weight gain from nuts (unless they overate them). So I looked on the can it has 150mg of Sodium in one serving. I know nothing about Sodium or what is a lot or a little but I think this certainly is the demon.

But I've also read that it's "just water weight" and that it really doesn't cause fat gain. I was kind of hoping it would be the reason my weight was right back where I started after two weeks of Induction -- that would have been an "easy" fix!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Yummm...salt and vinegar....!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Quote:

It will come off. I see you added real syrup and almonds. Neither are part of induction or even the OWL phase afterwards. The stuff you add in (in 5 gram increments) are more veggies, fruits, etc. It is listed in the book.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote