Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martineric2001
Stats: 240/231/215 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2002
My Low-carb Diet Success Secrets

Hi,

Some times - no, I would say - always - it helps to hear what really works for people - their experiences and what they have learned. Here are mine:

1. Whether you are in Atkins induction stage (first 2 weeks) or the stage after, your best food friend is salad greens. In fact, greens are mentioned in all of the literature, but I NEVER NOTICED how important they are for success on the diet. There is a sentence in the induction that says most of your 20 carbs a day come from salad greens. I TOTALLY MISSED the importance of that sentence. So, this diet success secret is - the majority of your daily carbs should come from salad greens (romaine is my fave) is SO IMPORTANT it is my #1 success secret.

2. Inches are more important than numbers comes next as my #2 diet success secret. It is so easy, I have learned, to get discouraged stepping on the scales and seeing you only went down 1 lb. or stayed the same or even went UP after a week of dieting. Don't pay any attention to the scales - they can discourage - it is BETTER to see your clothes fitting more comfortably - that is the real test of success - the lbs. will come off, but seeing a frustrating number on the scale should NOT discourage you - just use how the clothes fit - its a better barometer.

3. Low-Carb products are not the real thing. What I mean by this success secret is that the low carb diet talks about food that is low carb and NOT about products that save you time and are low carb. There is an entire industry surrounding the Low Carb diet, but the secret is to read which actual foods are low carb and learn to prepare those. For example I tried many of the products and loved products like Dreamfields pasta - but the real weight loss comes from learning to cook the foods that are in the food groups - proteins vegetables etc. You know what I mean? All of the products that you see advertised are NOT IT - you are doing the diet when you make and eat real food - not LC products.

I will add more to this as I go - I am at work now and getting distracted from my purpose here - so more later.

Please feel free to add to this post with your secrets. My best to all, Rick Martin

Last edited by martineric2001; 09-22-2011 at 09:35 AM..
martineric2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
This is a good post. I especially like number 2, when I got on the scale this morning, i found that I went up a pound but my jeans fit much better. You are right, I do get frustrated if the numbers on the scale don't show the weight loss as much as I would like them to. Number 3 is true also, I am finding now I am eating more low carb foods such as pepperoni, salads, cheese and this is making it much easier for me to stay on the low carb eating plan. The only non real low carb food I am eating is breyer's low carb chocolate ice cream and that is essential for my sweet tooth!!!!!! It satisfies my cravings!!!
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Number one is a good suggestion too, I eat salads at lunch and at dinner and vegetables are essential while eating low carb, I find they fill me up and I can add shredded cheese to them and meat for a substantial low carb meal.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
PLAN for every situation you may someday find yourself in and you will always do well.

Ask WHAT IF! What if I go to the wedding and the LC choices are few, what will I do? MAKE A PLAN before you go!

Ask WHAT IF! What if I am stuck on the road and can't find something LC to eat? Always take "LC fast food" (nuts, bars, etc) with you JUST IN CASE!

I think you get the idea here ^^^^^^

FAIL TO PLAN AND PLAN TO FAIL!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hardrain
Stats: 5'4" 164/144/135
Start Date: 1/1/11
Totally agree with this post, especially 2 and 3. I don't eat many salads though. Still, the scale is not the indicator of what you've lost- so agree!
hardrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jjMustang
Stats: 256.6/208/185
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Low Cal: 04/2009; Low Carb: 12/2010
The mental thing is the hardest, I think, and people get discouraged when they expect instant results. It doesn't work that way.

I feel it's important to realize that weight loss is a gradual thing. If you've got 50 pounds to lose, losing at a healthy rate that is easier to keep off (2 pounds a week) will take nearly 6 months. Also, because you're losing it gradually, you don't notice the changes until you have those a-ha moments like losing a notch on a belt or having someone complement you on your weight loss.
jjMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
my #1 strategy is to enjoy all lc has to offer.

I eat like a king (well, within my budget). I do salads and veggies, which I am enjoying more and more. I advanced to OWL a few weeks ago. I just take care of plan, and let the lbs and inches take care of themselves. I am a slow loser no matter what I do. So, I just enjoy the ride. The miracle of ideal weight WILL happen. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melissakw
Stats: 178/156/134 5'5"
WOE: Atkins OWL <25
Start Date: July 17, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
PLAN for every situation you may someday find yourself in and you will always do well.

Ask WHAT IF! What if I go to the wedding and the LC choices are few, what will I do? MAKE A PLAN before you go!

Ask WHAT IF! What if I am stuck on the road and can't find something LC to eat? Always take "LC fast food" (nuts, bars, etc) with you JUST IN CASE!

^^^Absolutely! For me, planning is huge - whether it's taken a variety of food to work, or eating before a lunch meeting so I don't feel tempted by the food I can't eat. Cooking on the weekends when I do have time, so that during the week, when I don't have time, I don't make a bad choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjMustang View Post
The mental thing is the hardest, I think, and people get discouraged when they expect instant results. It doesn't work that way.

I feel it's important to realize that weight loss is a gradual thing. If you've got 50 pounds to lose, losing at a healthy rate that is easier to keep off (2 pounds a week) will take nearly 6 months. Also, because you're losing it gradually, you don't notice the changes until you have those a-ha moments like losing a notch on a belt or having someone complement you on your weight loss.
^^^This too!! I see so many people who are past the initial weeks of induction still expecting to lose 3, 5 or more pounds per week! Then, of course, the disappointment, discouragement, binging, cheating, etc.

Realistic expectations = success.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I agree, I am relearning to have PLENTY of low carb foods in the house so that I am always prepared and I don't think about cheating!!!! There is no reason to when low carb foods are in the house for me to eat!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandywine12
Stats: 195/160-155
WOE: Atkins 100%
Start Date: 1-4-11

^ this is sooo true for me ! Good one .
brandywine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lileve
Stats: 221/187/120
WOE: LC - atkins my way
Start Date: new start: jan 2013.
Rick Martin: great tips. I think they will surely help me on my journey!

Quote:
This is one of the best tips I have found here so far!!!

I have a wedding coming up next month, I'll have guests staying at my house who don't care one bit about health and after that there will be 9 birthdays, Sinterklaas(dutch thing) AND christmas (which my family celebrates in a BIG way). So I really need to plan ahead.

Tomorrow will be my mini test as we will be bbq-ing. Something that always goes hand in hand with lots of french bread here. I will plan and see if it was a good one!!

So thanks for all the tips folks!

My tip: enjoy everything you CAN have!! enjoy every single bite! savor it!
Lileve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #12
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by martineric2001 View Post
There is a sentence in the induction that says most of your 20 carbs
a day come from salad greens.
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tcalhoun72
Stats: 300/205/140 5'4"- Age 39
Start Date: 1/15/2011
Pick a plan and stick with it!

I've derailed myself a couple of times because I became impatient and thought I would switch to a different plan which it turns out I couldn't stick to. I ended up gaining weight instead.

So know your plan and work it even when you aren't seeing losses on the scale. Know that what you are doing is working and is healthy for your body. Even when I'm not seeing losses on the scale I know that by sticking to my plan I'm not causing any more damage to my body. (high blood sugar)

Highest weight: 320lbs- 2005
Starting weight: 298lbs- 1/15/11
1st goal: 250lbs achieved 5/13/11
2nd goal: 200lbs
3rd goal: 175lbs
Final goal: as close to 140lbs as possible
tcalhoun72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Changeling
WOE: Low carb & lifting weights & HIIT
Start Date: 23 July 2013
Remember that portion size DOES count. If you eat too much meat and fat and other "legal" foods, you will still not lose.
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11

These are great posts! I love hearing how well everyone is doing and how we all learn from past mistakes!
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
THANKS FOR SHARING, EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by martineric2001 View Post
3. Low-Carb products are not the real thing. What I mean by this success secret is that the low carb diet talks about food that is low carb and NOT about products that save you time and are low carb. There is an entire industry surrounding the Low Carb diet, but the secret is to read which actual foods are low carb and learn to prepare those. For example I tried many of the products and loved products like Dreamfields pasta - but the real weight loss comes from learning to cook the foods that are in the food groups - proteins vegetables etc. You know what I mean? All of the products that you see advertised are NOT IT - you are doing the diet when you make and eat real food - not LC products.

Martin
I love this part and totally agree. You aren't really doing lc for life if you are relying on a whole bunch of junky lc products that are devoid of nutrition- they are the equivalent of candy bars basically. Just because something is lc doesn't make it healthy or good for you.

It takes very little time to shop for whole foods and cook them, and a million short cuts and appliances like a rotisserie that make the whole cooking process easy and quick. The original Atkins was all about whole foods and no added crap, then the company started making products and all of a sudden you can eat up to two bars a day I think, even in induction. Crazy.

Also, good point about vegetables. It's funny how people will waste lots of carbs on AS, dairy, water add ins, and lc products but will shy away from vegetables because they don't want all the carbs.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 09-23-2011 at 01:00 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: green team
I've been on the diet for only seven weeks, so I need to take off a couple more stone before I can start talking about success. But I have bought myself a very beautiful and sharp steak knife, which I eat every meal with. It's lovely to handle and can cut very thin slices of any meat. I put small slivers of meat with my veg instead of hacking away like I used to, and it seems to make each meal go further. I'm also using gorgeous plates/ dishes--trying to make each meal a special occasion.

I expect this sounds like the lamest success secret ever.
green team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lileve
Stats: 221/187/120
WOE: LC - atkins my way
Start Date: new start: jan 2013.
Green Team: actually, no it doesn't sound lame at all! I think I'll go and try that. It sounds like a great way to enjoy this WOE even more. Especially the new plates!

thnx!
Lileve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Never, I repeat never give up, ever!!!
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
Also, good point about vegetables. It's funny how people will waste lots of carbs on AS, dairy, water add ins, and lc products but will shy away from vegetables because they don't want all the carbs.

This is so true! I also agree with the plan ahead. I PLAN tomorrow night I will have jalapeno poppers,hot wings, cheese sticks AND maybe a SF margarita. And all that will be under 10 carbs.
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jillo
Stats: 247/197/175 5'7"
WOE: MEDI on my own
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lileve View Post
Green Team: actually, no it doesn't sound lame at all! I think I'll go and try that. It sounds like a great way to enjoy this WOE even more. Especially the new plates!

thnx!
I think this is brilliant! I've been getting rid of my big plates and collecting funky smaller plates as I find ones I like. I also use smaller forks and spoons. And I LOVE the nice steak knife I found at a garage sale.

I think this is an AWESOME tip. Not lame at all!
Jillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Quote:
Originally Posted by green team View Post
I've been on the diet for only seven weeks, so I need to take off a couple more stone before I can start talking about success. But I have bought myself a very beautiful and sharp steak knife, which I eat every meal with. It's lovely to handle and can cut very thin slices of any meat. I put small slivers of meat with my veg instead of hacking away like I used to, and it seems to make each meal go further. I'm also using gorgeous plates/ dishes--trying to make each meal a special occasion.

I expect this sounds like the lamest success secret ever.
no, I love this
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melissakw
Stats: 178/156/134 5'5"
WOE: Atkins OWL <25
Start Date: July 17, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillo View Post
I think this is brilliant! I've been getting rid of my big plates and collecting funky smaller plates as I find ones I like. I also use smaller forks and spoons. And I LOVE the nice steak knife I found at a garage sale.

I've been doing the smaller plate thing - really helps.

I like the smaller utensil idea - excellent!
melissakw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Good Posts thanks.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TammySue
Stats: 260/160/140 - 5'9"
Start Date: 2005 (restarted 08/23/2010 at 210)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
Never, I repeat never give up, ever!!!
TammySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I do caesar salads but I honestly don't like salad all that much. I do eat a LOT of veggies - especially cabbage, spinach & cauliflower. But most of my meals - except breakfast include 2 or 3 different veggies. I love them, just not a big fan of lettuce for some reason

I agree with the 3) but only the sense that it is "junk food". I limit it in moderation like junk food. I'd rather make a homemade protein shake - but keep some in the garage "just in case"...it's better than eating something high carb.

I think remaining calm and collected has been my success. Yes, I'd rather make something homemade - but if I can't do that, I'm not going to feel like I've failed or stalled my success bc of it. I accept it and move on. I just choose wisely at the next opportunity

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: green team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillo View Post

I've been doing the small spoon thing for a long time. I started with a teaspoon for desserts, and it just felt ridiculous. But then I got some of those long-handled teaspoony things that I remember eating Knickerbocker Glories with as a kid. They're elegant, and we all use them now.

Last edited by green team; 09-24-2011 at 04:45 AM..
green team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I think the most important motivator for me has been the fact that knowledge is power. KNOWLEDGE is my secret. Knowing WHY I need to eat this way for the rest of my life has kept me going for eight years. I know I can't stop getting older, but I don't have to end up old AND sick in the last years of my life. I feel better now than I did in my 20's!
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
I think the most important motivator for me has been the fact that knowledge is power. KNOWLEDGE is my secret. Knowing WHY I need to eat this way for the rest of my life has kept me going for eight years. I know I can't stop getting older, but I don't have to end up old AND sick in the last years of my life. I feel better now than I did in my 20's!
YES! ABSOUTELY agree. When I am tempted by sugary or starchy food, I think about what these things really do to my body and how terrible I will feel if I eat them. My is mildly interested in going LC, but she says she feels too overwhelmed with the information available and basically just wants someone to tell her what to eat. I told her she's not likely to stick with it without knowing the reasons WHY she should eat LC and WHAT is making her sick, fat and tired now.
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote