Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
beachguy-- exactly what is "mda"? I found several different things on a google search.
TIA
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rae33
Stats: 237/189.6/168
WOE: low carb/SCD/primal
Start Date: January 2011
It is Marks Daily Apple- a great primal website full of information. In the forums section there is a MASSIVE thread about the leptin reset.

I am going to be starting the leptin reset this week and am excited!
rae33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks rae33! I'm not too sure about the leptin reset as I had read other articles saying it can't be done, but I book marked Dr. K's site to read. I'm only 61- never too old to learn, eh?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/159/140
WOE: Atkins and primal
Start Date: restart in November 2013
Looks like I have a lot of reading to do!
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #185
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I agree and want to thank you as well Rich! I love the context you put it in, which is the overall, long term effects of health and weight loss.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Great summary, Rich! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
+! Yes, thank you very much! Your summary is most useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I agree and want to thank you as well Rich! I love the context you put it in, which is the overall, long term effects of health and weight loss.
Thanks for the support. I was hesitant about posting it because so many seem to want simple solutions and the leptin reset is anything but simple. I see many people get frustrated when they gain 5 or 10 lbs because they are trying the leptin reset as just another diet and I wanted to help people understand the purpose is not to lose weight in the short term, but to start the process of becoming healthy.

I have seen a lot of people get frustrated because the plan is not all pretty and tied up with a bow. They get frustrated when Dr K says 25 g in one place and 50 gm in another. Others will say I am going to do the program but I am making these changes. Will it still work? Then they get upset when Dr K responds with it might work, but it's not optimal.

Dr K has put out some guidelines to follow, but the real plan is to have a good doctor and test, test, test; then make adjustments as you go. Some people may go through the reset in 6 weeks and be fine. Others may need bio-identicals for thyroid, testosterone, etc. For others maybe herbal supplements will work. For some, just changing to a primal diet may do the trick.

Then there is me and a bunch of others over at mda who seem to have an array of problems that our doctors never addressed. The problems have been going on so long, fixing just one thing doesn't do much. When you do the leptin reset you quickly become aware of these problems.

For example, your sleep should improve on the reset. If it doesn't, likely problems could be too much light in the room, melatonin deficiency, dhea deficiency, high cortisol, low cortisol, etc. So when other people say how great they are sleeping and you're not, you start examining each possible cause. And over on the mda thread, there are other people doing the same thing or people that have already been there and figured it out that help guide you.

But to be most effective, you have to go by how you feel and what the tests show. This is the part most people have trouble understanding.

IMO, it takes a lot of people going through the leptin reset together to really get it to work. Your body will go through changes and you won't always know what is happening or why. So the feedback of others is very helpful in understanding what is going on.

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Rich, thanks for the additional post. I am one of those who has a puzzle that hasn't been easy to solve. I appreciate your writing about the various factors, and what has or has not helped.

There is some discussion of these things in the Kwasniewski Optimal Diet support thread, too, if that should be of use.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
Thanks for the awesome post on the Leptin Reset. I've been following it since Sept or Oct and I can definitely tell that I feel great on it regardless of whether my weight loss is currently faster or slower. I agree that the MDA thread and the comments to Kruse's posts are helpful in clarifying some of the leptin reset principles. I don't mind doing what he instructs but I love to know how and why it's going to work.

The reason I've been doing the reset so long is because I figure if I ate poorly my whole life and have been trying to fix that with one diet or another for the past 20 years, it may take me longer than the 6-8 week minimum that Kruse discusses. Plus, I feel good eating this way. The big protein breakfasts alone make me feel energetic and take away all cravings. I even forget to eat lunch 1-2 a week!
If anyone thinks the breakfast requirement is hard, I totally sympathize and it gets easier. The first few weeks I felt like I was forcing down my breakfast. I think this is because before I started low carb, I used to do intermittent fasting for a year or so where my fasting window always included mornings. So, I was essentially a breakfast skipper for awhile and I had to "relearn" how to tolerate a bigger breakfast (or any breakfast!).

In the beginning, I had reservations about this protocol but decided to try it because of all the great results people were reporting on MDA. After reading Kruse's posts and actually eating this way for the last 3-4 months, I really feel so much better. I'm not sure how it works, but it works well for me so I am continuing to do this indefinitely.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zudy
WOE: vlc
Beachguy, Thanks for reviving this thread and for the great informative post. And I'm also still on the Leptin Reset routine (since September) and loving it!
zudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Are there any T2- on Insulin- diabetics doing the leptin reset? How is it going? Any starting out recommendations for supplements? Right now I only take meds for blood pressure, a med to "strengthen" my heart, an anti-depressant, and Insulin ac and hs, and sleep med. Once in a while I will take something for arthritic inflammatory pain, but not often.
I am on a set budget, so maybe just the basic, most important supplements. I have bee pollen available- would that be a benefit?

Thanks in advance everyone!
P.S. I'm drinking kombucha and milk kefir, too.

Fear the bread, NOT the butter...
IBKKF 898 - International Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermenters (borrowed from porcupine73)

Last edited by pepperette; 01-16-2012 at 09:04 AM..
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Bumping so it won't get lost
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
Are there any T2- on Insulin- diabetics doing the leptin reset? How is it going? Any starting out recommendations for supplements? Right now I only take meds for blood pressure, a med to "strengthen" my heart, an anti-depressant, and Insulin ac and hs, and sleep med. Once in a while I will take something for arthritic inflammatory pain, but not often.
I am on a set budget, so maybe just the basic, most important supplements. I have bee pollen available- would that be a benefit?

Thanks in advance everyone!
P.S. I'm drinking kombucha and milk kefir, too.
Can't help with the 1st part. Dr K has a post for top 10 supplements WHAT ARE THE TOP TEN PALEO SUPPLEMENTS? - Jack Kruse.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #193
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Bumping and going to go back to catch up with all posted here.
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:10 AM   #194

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
If anyone is interested, another thread is here:

Leptin Reset
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #195

Thanks for adding the link here Dawn!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whipper75229
Stats: 189/165.6/145 5'3.25" Age 66
WOE: Diabetic - LOW CARB FOR LIFE!! A1C 5.6
Start Date: June 2010
SUBBING
whipper75229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalifPam
I have been doing the Leptin Rx since Nov 11. After reading Dr. K's latest blog about cold thermogenesis, I took a cold bath yesterday. Immediately afterwards, I felt energized, but about an hour later I was sleepy. I went to bed early but woke up at 1 am fully wake. Now I read this morning on his blog that cold thermogenesis also raises DHEA which destroys IL-6 which destroys sleep……..so you have found one of the effects of cold thermogenesis before I blog about it." Why do the cold bath if it raises DHEA which destroys IL-6 which destroys sleep. Anybody else try the cold bath yet?
CalifPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #198

IDK Pam....would like to hear more about it.

Got a problem perhaps someone here can help with. I am to get a blood draw done soon. Have to fast for it. The drive is about 25 min. At best. Add time to get ready and waiting to get in......how do I deal with my BAB within 30 for this day? Do I just take something with me to gobble ASAP? And hope I don't mess it up, or delay testing until I have more time in on the LR? Is there something I haven't thought of? Help!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
kitty, did you decide what to do?
Personally, I wouldn't worry about having the BAB late one day.
I think Dr Kruse says "ideally" within 30 minutes...if you take some food with you, you could probably eat within 60-90 minutes or so, and that's probably not too bad.

I am doing the Leptin Rx, but my immediate concern is sleep issues, and once a week or so I have breakfast a bit late; even if I have a Medium --- Breakfast, and the BA protein at lunch instead, I get to sleep easily! But I had a carby, low-protein breakfast once or twice, and had a heck of a time falling asleep!!!

I am starting to see a little weight loss...I think! But getting to sleep 2-4 hours earlier every night, and falling asleep quickly, is a wonderful change in & of itself, and I hope it will lead to many improvements in my health.

Good luck!
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifPam View Post
I have been doing the Leptin Rx since Nov 11. After reading Dr. K's latest blog about cold thermogenesis, I took a cold bath yesterday. Immediately afterwards, I felt energized, but about an hour later I was sleepy. I went to bed early but woke up at 1 am fully wake. Now I read this morning on his blog that cold thermogenesis also raises DHEA which destroys IL-6 which destroys sleep……..so you have found one of the effects of cold thermogenesis before I blog about it." Why do the cold bath if it raises DHEA which destroys IL-6 which destroys sleep. Anybody else try the cold bath yet?
Tim Ferris, THE FOUR HOUR BODY author, advocates thermogenesis. And there was an article in Dr Mercola's newsletter last week about it, How Does Brown Fat Benefit Your Weight Management Goals?

Sounds interesting.

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman525 View Post
Tim Ferris, THE FOUR HOUR BODY author, advocates thermogenesis. And there was an article in Dr Mercola's newsletter last week about it, How Does Brown Fat Benefit Your Weight Management Goals?

Sounds interesting.

Janice
Tim Ferris was on Dr Oz yesterday and demonstrated that cold shower for 5 mins trick. The lady could barely last 20 seconds in the shower. But she was jumping around so I am sure she burned a few extra calories trying to avoid the cold water I agree with someone here who I told this about--I would rather be fat and warm than have to endure that type of water torture. I don't even like drinking cold water in the winter time.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #202
Senior LCF Member

It would give me a heart attack!!

Last edited by whipper75229; 02-14-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipper75229 View Post
It would give me a heart attach!!
I wouldn't be able to breathe
Old 02-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

But it would save on the heating bill
Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
kitty, did you decide what to do?
Personally, I wouldn't worry about having the BAB late one day.
I think Dr Kruse says "ideally" within 30 minutes...if you take some food with you, you could probably eat within 60-90 minutes or so, and that's probably not too bad.

I am doing the Leptin Rx, but my immediate concern is sleep issues, and once a week or so I have breakfast a bit late; even if I have a Medium --- Breakfast, and the BA protein at lunch instead, I get to sleep easily! But I had a carby, low-protein breakfast once or twice, and had a heck of a time falling asleep!!!

I am starting to see a little weight loss...I think! But getting to sleep 2-4 hours earlier every night, and falling asleep quickly, is a wonderful change in & of itself, and I hope it will lead to many improvements in my health.

Good luck!
Had to move doc appt., so going to move blood work too. This should give me a few more weeks of non interrupted LR. When I go, planning to do like you said. Hoping that works out ok. The extra time may help there. This Fri. will be 4 weeks done.

I am sleeping better, but never really had that much trouble with sleep, if I had that time to do it that is!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muffles
Stats: 112.2/106.7/65kg
WOE: leptin reset , OA
Start Date: 11/11/13
For those people wondering about the leptin reset Dr Kruse style, do it! I have been stuck maintaining on low carb , unable to lose without starving for ages. I thought my body was too broken to work but I started doing the Jack Kruse leptin reset 27/12/11.
I have lost 9.3kg - 20 pounds in just over 8 weeks. Awesome!

I am now generally awake before the alarm and ready to go. I feel so awake I don't need my morning cup of coffee to get going - this is huge for me! I am usually so dopy in the morning that my family don't talk to me till I have drunk my coffee. Now I am bright and coherent and ready for the day - without caffeine!

I have more energy during the day, but I do tend to flag a little mid afternoon. I generally drink a pot of green tea at this time, which seems to help.

I have no hunger or cravings during the day. I screwed up the other day and ate a breakfast which only contained 35 grams of protein ( I calculated after I ate it), I suffered cravings all day. I fought back with coconut oil , but prefer the calmness of no cravings or hunger pains.

So far so good! I will know that this is really working if I manage to break through 92 kg, which I have got to 3 times in the last ten years, every time I have plateaued at this point before regaining.

If it happens again, I shall do some tests to see if there is an underlying hormonal issue messing up my body.I think I have all the signs of sensitivity now.

My mood is calmer, my dh even commented the other day, it was nice to have the new less grumpy me around,

Haven't exercised yet, but I am now able to garden for 4 hours at a time, rather than one.

Hunger only occurs twice a day, right before I eat.

I love having energy all day and best of all no urge to bing eat!
If you are stuck with low carb, try it this way!

I did blood tests the other day, so didn't eat in the correct time frame. I just ate when I could and continued on like normal. To the person who has to do it, just do it and don't worry about it. Worry raises cortisol, which is not a good thing!

Last edited by muffles; 02-15-2012 at 08:33 PM..
muffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

I am reading up about the leptin reset now - I think I am going to try it. I have already been doing nothing but protein for breakfast but I can't quite do 50 grams. I should think that a big guy could do that but a smaller gal shouldn't have to shove that much down each morning. I'm good with 30 grams. And I can't eat within 30 minutes of waking up yet - just can't get into that one. I get up at 4am as it is - ugh. I don't snack, I now use a sleep mask to block out all light (that is quite nice, I am finding!). I am doing yoga, although not every day. I will keep reading my books and try to impliment things as I go, but it sounds like something I can manage.

"What fits your busy schedule better, excercising one hour a day or being dead 24 hours a day?"
--Randy Glasbergen

BAD A$$ HONEY BADGER

Sandy
189/165.6/145 - 5'3.25" - Age 66 and going STRONG!

Last edited by whipper75229; 02-16-2012 at 07:05 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Just FWIW--I skipped breakfast a few days ago and didn't eat until about 3pm...that night it took me 3 HOURS to fall asleep! Boy, was I miserable!!!

The first time or two this happened, I thought it might be a coincidence or fluke. Also, if the "Reset" or some other health regimen is working in any way, wouldn't it take a few days of being off it for things to get wonky? Apparently not! I have to eat breakfast if I want to sleep at night!!!

I've mentioned this before in a few places, but if you're really having a hard time eating the 50g protein, try liver pills!!! 4 liver pills = the protein of one egg. Plus they're portable! I don't usually take more than 8 at a time but I've read that Jack LaLanne used to take 200 a day when preparing for a competition, so I think it would be okay to take quite a few!

Yesterday I wanted to experiment with a low-fat/low-calorie BAB, and I had one of those big cans of chicken (8oz meat=48g protein according to label) in some chicken broth. I did get hungry after about 4 hours, which is a bit sooner than when I have a BAB with some fat, but not totally unacceptable. Then I had a big salad with cottage cheese (not Paleo, I know! ) and that kept me full for about 7 hours, even though I didn't have any meat with it--I meant to have some sausage but got full on the salad really fast.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

OK - maybe I'll try the liver pills - I hope they are capsules! I hate swallowing huge honking tablets. I'd rather eat the raw liver!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:35 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Morning all...

Last edited by whipper75229; 02-25-2012 at 04:39 AM..