Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Rich
Did you find that you needed a little bit of carbs along with the protein to get the full impact from the big breakfast? I recently had cortisol saliva testing and it was found that I dip too low around 12pm. You have inspired me to give this another shot. I sure as heck don't have anything to lose and I really don't want to take any drugs.
I have been experimenting with breakfast and I find I do best when I have eggs, bacon, and hash browns. Dr K says no potatoes on reset, but that combination of foods usually keeps me satisfied until about 4 pm when I eat an early dinner. I checked my blood sugar about 2 hours after breakfast this morning and it was a little elevated, but not enough to be of concern.

For breakfast yesterday, I only had about 35 g protein with no carbs and it was definitely not enough food. If I have a potato, that uses up all my carbs for the day, so maybe I'll try 1/2 potato. I've also bought some sirloin steaks and 3 oz is about 26 g protein, so I'm going to try steak and eggs and see how that works. A small steak and 4 jumbo eggs works out to about 54 g protein.

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
I actually have my best results when I have a little bit of higher carb veggie or fruit at lunch. This usually means 1/2 a small apple, 1/2 cup of winter squash, or a 1/2 cup of sweet potato. This is in addition to my usual low carb veggies that I have with my meat. Yesterday I tried some beans at lunch and I almost could have skipped dinner.
Books and Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zudy
WOE: vlc
I noticed that Dr. K now has on his blog the post-reset plan. Protein is decreased at breakfast and emphasized at dinner and carbs are added at breakfast (and other meals). I've decided I'm probably not "reset" yet. Sleep is nowhere near 8 hours a night but I am thinking that for me maybe that's too much. I will stick to the BAB but will start to add blueberries or raspberries or maybe a salad at lunch. Up till now, I've really avoided carbs, having only occasional avocado, salad or hot flax cereal. The BAB has worked so well that I'm hesitant to change anything at the moment so I'm not sure I'll change that part any time soon.
zudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #154
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
You have done great zudy!
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Just wanted to add an update. I have been doing the leptin reset for about a month and clean for about 2 weeks. I felt like I was losing, but the scales weren't showing it. Then, in 2 days I dropped 4 lb, so in the last 3 weeks, I lost a total of 6 lb.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jeanie..it's all due to Dr. K's idea of the amazing BAB though! And Beachguy, that's how it goes with me, too. Several days of not much loss then one day a sudden drop. And all with much higher calorie level than before I started the L.R. I can only conclude that this supports the idea that calories per se don't count, at least for me.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Squigglywiggly
Stats: 220/193.2/160
WOE: low carbing/leptin reset
Start Date: June 2010
Zudy that happens to me too. I have learnt to ignore the higher scale numbers and just wait for it to drop....
Squigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Checking in again on leptin reset! Anyone still resetting? I have been doing this now for about 3 months and it's still "working" beautifully as far as I am concerned..i.e., no overwhelming craving for things not low carb. This last weekend, though, I was out of town and it was extremely inconvenient to arrange a Big Breakfast of protein so I skipped it. Didn't take too many hours before I was really hungry and I could tell that it was going to lead to places I didn't want to go. So, I guess it's perma-BAB here for me because it just works!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

I am. The big breakfast is working great, but I have a huge hill to climb. I have trouble understanding everything Dr K says - between the chemistry part, medical terms, and his writing style.

I believe he is suggesting that other hormone problems cascade from being leptin resistant (lr), so fixing that problem (lr) will make you leptin responsive and other hormonal problems might self correct. But, if you have been using artificial sweeteners for any length of time, you may have done too much damage to normalize without supplementing with bio-identical hormones.

This is where I find him to be inconsistent. He says adding hormones is the last resort but makes the case where nothing else will work, which means it should be the first resort. I don't have years to patiently wait for hormones to normalize, so I need guidance on what will self correct short term and what will require hormone supplementation.

Just starting to convert to primal. Bought a small freezer, 40 lbs of pasture beef, and spent $100 at Trader Joes yesterday. I roasted a free range chicken last night and it was delicious!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:13 AM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Does he say why the 50G of protein at breakfast works?
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
The obvious answer is because it fills you up and kills hunger. He wants you to eat enough so that you don't experience hunger between meals. Since no snacking is part of the reset process, breakfast needs to be big enough to keep hunger at bay for at least 4 or 5 hours.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Yes..the protein/fat breakfast does keep hunger at bay. Dr. K said somewhere that having breakfast shortly after arising lowers cortisol (since most people have high levels in the a.m.) I started this as an experiment just to see how it worked for me and didn't concern myself with all the testing routine that Dr. K does on patients but I did add a few supplements like D and Krill Oil. Since it works so well, I've just been continuing it. Dr. K also heavily recommends coconut oil for people who want to lose body fat but I have not been able to get into it. Are you taking the coconut oil, Rich?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zudy View Post
Are you taking the coconut oil, Rich?
I cook with it when I'm not using bacon grease! I have been trying to eat a tablespoon or 2 about 1 pm since I don't usually eat lunch.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8˝"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
When I first started LCing, long before I had ever heard of leptin, I made these coconut oil peanut butter cups to have as a treat. Once I realized that coconut oil was so good for me and that I'm not just low carb, but also high fat, I started putting them in my plan as part of my nutrition and not just as a decadent treat. As I learned more recipes I moved away from making them ... and stalled. (For months and months now.) So last night I made a huge batch (cashew butter instead of peanut butter) and ate three this morning right before my bacon and eggs.

I'm not sure I'll be losing more weight until my hormonal system heals somewhat, but hopefully putting more coconut oil back in my plan will speed things along.
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lbecker28
WOE: M&E
I had the hardest time getting in my protein at breakfast, but finally found 2 that work. Now I have 2 scotch eggs or about 5 oz of smoked alaskan salmon for breakfast. Both fill me up, and are quick.
lbecker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

I'm still going strong. Was unusually hungry for 2 days in a row, but then saw a 2 lb drop. My overall sense of well being and motivation is also up the last few days. Hoping this means I am getting close to leptin sensitivity. Sleep still sucks though!

Got a big, grass fed shoulder roast in the oven slow cooking. So for a while, it will be beef for breakfast and dinner.

I have been going through all of Dr K's blog posts making a list of the vitamins he recommends. Looks like netrition will be getting a big order from me.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

I have huge news - I am pregnant! And we found out I am 33 weeks along and we only found out we were pregnant this week! LOL. I wasn't on the leptin reset from conception but I was already strictly low carbing, and I am sure the leptin reset helped keep our baby healthy.

Due in less than 7 weeks!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #168
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
WOW!!! Congratulations!!! You are the second one that this has happened to on this board in the past year that I know of. I believe she was about the same gestation period as well! I guess you have your work cut out for you getting ready (both physically and mentally) for your babes' birth!! What a great surprise!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Cathy! I still plan on low carbing through the rest of the pregnancy, eating a few more berries but that is about it. He has been super healthy so far.

I am loving that my belly is baby and not fat like I thought it was for so long LOL
Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
I just came across this by Dr K on ***.

Quote:
When you eat the 50 gMS of protein you will notice a dramatic drop in your craving fast. This is a welcomed feeling to the overweight because they are always hungry because of high gut agouti and ghrelin that stimulates central release of NPY. The protein eliminates this effect and ultimately for long term leanness it actually is a calorie restriction mode although most people dont realize that initially because they are never hungry.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mick6
I tried the reset for a few weeks over the summer and had fab result. I am doing Atkins but am going to go back to the reset breakfasts starting tomorrow. I felt great on it before and I am hungry in the morning!
Mick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Squiggly! What great news!

Beachguy..that's really interesting about agouti and NPY, though I had to look them up to get a partial clue as to what they are. I am glad I don't have to be a scientist to have this work..glad Dr. K is doing the research for us.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Beachguy..forgot to say that for me, it has not been a calorie restriction at all. In fact my calories are a lot higher than they were before, but it's 99 percent protein/fat calories...unlike before where it was a lot higher fat, lower protein, fewer calories by a third, and 10-20 grams carbs on the average day. I was losing the last bit I wanted to lose while on the reset for the first two months and now I seem to be "maintaining" at the same levels of everything. So, I don't know for sure if it's the protein/fat ratio or the fact that I just don't have the carbs, even at the previous low level as before, that is working so well.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

I'm about 8 weeks into leptin reset. First couple of weeks were kind of a trial and error, but by the end of week 2, I was following all the food rules except I wasn't paleo. I have been paleo now for a little over a week.

Here's my results so far.
  • In last 8 weeks, I am down 15 lbs.
  • My sleep has slightly improved.
  • Have a sense of well being that I haven't had for years.
  • Starting to feel like I want to exercise.
  • Motivation has greatly improved.
  • I found myself slowing down when eating dinner because everything tasted so good and I wanted to make it last. A first ever.
  • Going to bed earlier and waking up earlier.
  • Instead of feeling fat and needing to lose weight, I feel like a normal sized guy that is simply peeling off extra layers. A complete reverse from the way I have always felt about being fat.
  • No cravings and no binges.

Last edited by beachguy; 12-21-2011 at 08:07 AM..
Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mick6
Those are fabulous results!
Mick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: souzac
Stats: 183/176/145
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: March 23, 2011
Bump
souzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

For those not familiar with the leptin reset, it is NOT a weight loss diet, although you are likely to lose weight.

Leptin is a hormone made by fat cells that your brain uses to manage the body's energy needs. If your brain, and your gut/liver and your muscles are not leptin sensitive, restricting calories is the only way you will lose weight, but if you are leptin sensitive at all levels, extra calories can be burned by the muscles.

So being leptin sensitive is a great thing if you want to lose weight and keep it off without having to be on a regimented, restrictive diet for the rest of your life. This doesn't mean you can eat junk once you are leptin sensitive, but it means the body can burn those extra calories you eat on occasion.

For many, becoming leptin sensitive can be a fairly long process. Dr K says 6-8 weeks is what he usually sees in his patients, but that is with the appropriate level of hormonal support his patients need. So if you have untreated hormonal problems, the process might take a year or more. The trick is to find a great doctor to work with you while you go through the leptin reset rx.

The big leptin reset thread at *** is a wealth of information on tests, treatments, supplements, etc that can be of help when going on the leptin reset. I have added 5 adaptogens to my supplements and my cortisol levels have increased, although still not optimized. I tested (and with my doc's blessing) started taking pregnenolone which is the parent hormone for cortisol and sex hormones. I have added dhea to the 7-keto I was already taking. I have added several supplements and foods to make sure I have a healthy gut and liver.

The reason to do the leptin reset is because you want to optimize the way your body functions, not just because you want to lose weight. Be prepared for a long process where you slowly undo the damage you have been doing to your body for a lifetime.

Someone asked about Atkins. Dr. K's main criticism is that Atkins doesn't differentiate between omega 3 and omega 6. We ideally want a ratio (blood test) of about 1:1 or 2:1 of omega 6 to omega 3, but most people are over 6:1. I just tested and mine is 4.2:1, which the lab says is within the desired range of 5:1, but according to Dr K is too high. Where are Atkins' dieters getting the omega 6 from? Chicken, turkey, nuts, seeds, vegetable oil, and even olive oil. Does Atkins encourage liver at least once a week and seafood at least twice a week? My guess is that if Dr Atkins was still alive, he would have moved to a more primal based diet and recognized the problem with high levels of omega 6. The reason I believe that is because there is a huge difference in a 1972 ribeye and a 2012 ribeye.

So I see Dr K's site and the leptin RX as a tool toward optimal health. To make it work, I need the support and knowledge of an excellent health care professional.

I have been working with my doctor for almost 4 years with little progress, one step forward and two steps back. But after only 3 months on the leptin reset, I am seeing some big improvements and a plan coming together to achieve a much healthier and active life.

I am building a spreadsheet of all my labs for the last 8 years and identifying any lab that is less than optimal. At my next doc appointment, I will be going in with the spreadsheet and the knowledge to discuss intelligently the options for improvement with her. I will giver her a short summary of Dr K's web site and the leptin reset rx. I will explain what new supplements I am taking and why, and the improvements I have seen.

Every time I see people on this board talk about trying to break a stall by eating less and exercising more, I want to scream "Do you know what you are doing to yourself?" I sure didn't and I am paying the penalty for it. I cut calories down to max 1200/day and exercised 6 hours/day until I finally reached 245 lbs. Had cravings morning to night, day after day, until eventually it was too much. Back up to 270 lb in no time. Then slow upward spiral until I was over 300 lb again.

When your muscles aren't leptin sensitive, that added exercise is putting huge stress on your body and possibly damaging your adrenal glands which made adrenaline, cortisol, and much more. So right there you are probably increasing overall fatigue and making it that much harder to lose weight in the future. And do you really think cutting calories to 1000 or less a day to lose weight is going to work in the long term? Are you going to be able to eat that way for the rest of your life?

Now I'm not talking about people eating 2500 cal/day that cut back to 2000/day to lose a lb. I'm talking about people that are eating a starvation diet for an extended period of time. You are starving your vital organs including your brain. Not good.

So if you try the leptin reset for a month and gain some weight, it might be for a very good reason. Your body is undergoing some major repairs. Your endocrine system is making some changes which is why you notice changes in hunger, cravings, sleep, sex, energy, etc.

I spent about 2 weeks reading through the entire Leptin reset thread on *** and read all the posts on Dr K's site, most of them 2 or 3 times. He is putting out some cutting edge material and using medical language to do it. It can be hard to get through some of the articles, so always read the comments. That's where the little nuggets are that help to make sense of the article.

If you are looking for a place to start, read

leptin resistance, Dr. Jack Kruse, weight loss, Why is Oprah still obese? - Jack Kruse
Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Great summary, Rich! Thank you!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Great summary, Rich! Thank you!
+! Yes, thank you very much! Your summary is most useful.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-15-2012 at 09:36 AM..
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
beachguy-- exactly what is "***"? I found several different things on a google search.
TIA
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote