Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
Janice,

Why does he think that Atkins is bad?
from pp 198-199 of MASTERING LEPTIN by Byron Richards

"The Atkins diet is the worst popular diet on the market today. It seeks to solve insulin resistance by eliminating or drastically reducing carbohydrates...it turns individuals into carbohydrate cripples...The diet is doomed to eventual failure for the majority of people who attempt it...A high-saturated fat diet tends toward excess calorie consumption at a given meal, aming weight loss stop or weight gain occur."

Hope this helps,
Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Janice, thanks for the quote.

I was glad to see that Jack Kruse recommends vlc in his leptin protocol,
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zudy
WOE: vlc
Checking in and wondering how the fellow resetters are doing? I've been at it for about 7 weeks and though I don't know if I'm "reset" or not have been keeping with it because it's so effective in preventing snacking, etc. Today, though, I decided to try to skip the first-thing breakfast and to eat later. But about 9:30 a.m., I was hungry and severely "missing" the BAB so had to have it then!
zudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Squigglywiggly
Stats: 220/193.2/160
WOE: low carbing/leptin reset
Start Date: June 2010
I am into week 3 I think - losing track of time LOL. No massive changes in weight but I agree it is helping me to never snack, and I am sure some parts of my body are shrinking, esp my lower belly and my face...

Zudy what do you normally eat for your BAB?
Squigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Squiggly...breakfast is very plain..just a piece of steak, usually, of the 50 gram protein size. Anything more is too much (I tried eggs and sausage once and it seemed like too much food to face at 5 or 6 am..for me, anyway).
Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #126
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Hello! I am in my 3rd week of the reset as well and have been working stuff out as I go along. One question I have is about appetite.

Last night I was a bit hungry (nothing major) but I was thinking about what to have the next morning and thought a steak sounded wonderful so I got one out to defrost and was looking forward to my breakfast.

This morning the steak didn't seem so appetizing but I went ahead and cooked it up and could barely choke down 3 oz. of it. What is up with the change of appetite between night and morning? I hadn't eaten a thing in between - you would have thought I would eaten the whole 7oz. with no problem. I just find this puzzling.....

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

I have the odd morning where I find it hard to get all the protein in - was it the flavour of the steak? I found sour cream helps everything go down LOL
Old 10-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #128
Chatty Cathy

No, the steak was cooked to perfection (if I do say so myself ) and tasted good but it is something about the chewing of it that was difficult. I have never been much of a breakfast eater so even getting a shake down is a bit of a challenge. I am better with the shakes now but feel they aren't the best choice and am trying to do chewable food. I think it will get better with practice and maybe my morning appetite will improve as well.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

How about ground beef - I guzzled that down pretty fast today. Was easier than chewing that early in the morning LOL
Old 10-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #130
Chatty Cathy

Sounds like a doable thing. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
No, the steak was cooked to perfection (if I do say so myself ) and tasted good but it is something about the chewing of it that was difficult. I have never been much of a breakfast eater so even getting a shake down is a bit of a challenge. I am better with the shakes now but feel they aren't the best choice and am trying to do chewable food. I think it will get better with practice and maybe my morning appetite will improve as well.
I occasionally have this happen even if the food is something that tastes great. I don't know if it's because I have to get up so early for work and nothing is appetizing at that time or if it's because I played around with intermittent fasting from Aug 2010-June 2011 and am less "used to" breakfast. I usually just make myself eat, but go very slowly even if I have to stretch breakfast out over 30 mins or so.
Books and Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Clackley, I've had a very hard time eating the BAB within 30 mins of getting up for the whole 7 weeks I've been doing this. One factor is that I get up at different times for some reason..sometimes at 4, 4:30 or 5, and I am almost never hungry or even able to entertain the thought of eating right away. I know we are *spozed* to eat within 30 mins according to Dr. K, but I have actually been most often aiming to eat a little more on a regular schedule, so usually I eat at six a.m., after I've been up for as long as two hours. Whether this is going to interfere with "resetting" I don't care right now because it controls my hunger so well.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #133
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
I had a whey protein shake with 2 tbsp ground flax and a tbsp of coconut oil about 5:45 A.M. When lunch came around at 12:30, I really wasn't all that hungry, but ate some becuase I didn't know if I was going to be able to eat something later. I don't really care if I eat dinner tonight or not, but it's only 4:11 in the afternoon, so I probably will later.
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #134
Chatty Cathy

I wonder what people think about using protein powder as their breakfast? I have tended towards eating whole low carb foods and avoided processed stuff as much as possible so using the powder seems contrary to this.

I am still having trouble chewing and eating anything in the morning ....
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #135
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
From my reading on MDA where there's a lot of people doing the Leptin reset and where Dr. Kruse posts regularly, I understand that he's opposed to all protein powder supplements and recommends whole foods only.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Dr. K says that whey protein spikes insulin. I thought that was the reason he didn't recommend it for the Leptin Reset. Perhaps egg white based protein powder would work without that problem. If Dr. K discouraged use of non-whey protein powder, I missed it.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #137
Chatty Cathy

How is the weight loss going??? I am still at it (the protocol) and have not broken my stall but am withing .5 lbs of my lowest weight. This morning I was also able to chow down on my leftover dinner from last night. Ground beef with green beans and seasonings. So ground beef works for me! Thanks Squiggly for the suggestion!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
I started about a 10 days ago, but I am eating some things I shouldn't be, so I'm just "practicing". I ate lunch 1 day and the rest of the days I was fine with bab and dinner. Only lost 2 lbs this week, but that's probably because I ate a couple of things I shouldn't have.

I'm still in the reading and research mode trying to figure out exactly what I can eat and what supplements I should be taking. I'm excited to try this approach of using labs as markers and then getting everything back into range through diet and supplements.

Something causes me to have tremendous cravings when I have lost about 15-20% of my body weight, and some things that Dr Kruse has written makes me think it might be leptin resistance that is causing the cravings. I am currently about 30-35 lbs over where the cravings usually get me and plan on being 100% on plan by the point I get there.

Leptin is Cool

Last edited by beachguy; 11-04-2011 at 12:55 PM..
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Though I've been at it more than 7 weeks, I have almost always still wanted lunch and most of the time dinner as well. So, if one of the goals is to not want lunch, I have never gotten there. But the plan is working great..I am not hungry between meals at all. That's a big deal because I don't want to spend a lot of time planning meals, looking for recipes and thinking of what I can eat that won't torpedo things, and Dr. K's formula prevents the need for all of these things. I don't really see any reason to stop this routine as nothing else has worked like this!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #140
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I need to get back to this, out of all the things I have tried to overcome binge eating this has been the most effective.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #141
Chatty Cathy

Anyone still doing the protocol? How is it going? I took a week off back have been back at it for a few days now. I still weigh approx. the same. I find this to be very 'telling' because it appears that the amount of low carb food does not play into my weight......
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

I'm still doing the reset routine and am looking forward to the next posting by Dr. K on post-reset suggestions. I did continue losing the whole period..more than 2 months and now am where I want to be. But I'm sticking with the 50 gram protein breakfast because it works to control snacking, etc.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #143
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zudy View Post
I'm still doing the reset routine and am looking forward to the next posting by Dr. K on post-reset suggestions. I did continue losing the whole period..more than 2 months and now am where I want to be. But I'm sticking with the 50 gram protein breakfast because it works to control snacking, etc.
Good to hear and yes I agree that the reset does go a long way to control snacking. I generally don't snack but had gotten into having a little something in the evenings but mostly out of habit rather than hunger.

I wonder why you decided to do the reset - were you stalled? I have been working at a mega stall and am hoping this does the trick.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

I keep steadily losing weight on it, still get hungry before meals but it is a hunger I can cope with. My body is definitely shrinking which is awesome!!

I had been sleeping better before I got a double cold from hell.... but I am sure when it is gone and I can breathe properly again I will go back to better sleeping.

Yesterday I weighed at my lowest weight in decades. I love the protocol!!!!

*I guess I should update my side thingy to show my new weight LOL*
Old 11-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #145
Chatty Cathy

Squigglywiggly, that is such good news - congrats!! You give me hope!!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

I've been doing it for almost 3 weeks. Haven't lost any weight, but also have had no urge to snack. In fact I have only eaten lunch twice. Been tracking my blood sugar and something is still causing it to spike on occasion. I know it's not bacon and eggs, so it might be dairy. Hopefully will figure it out in the next couple of days.

I have low cortisol, so it is hard to lose weight. I believe that the leptin reset should work, just take a little longer. Plan to stay on through end of January and then re-evaluate.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Good on you guys for sticking with it! For a number of weeks I saw no change, I am such a crazily slow loser at the best of times.... it pays just to keep going.

Beachguy - I am still eating breakfast, lunch and dinner. What are you eating for your meals? I am curious.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squigglywiggly View Post
Good on you guys for sticking with it! For a number of weeks I saw no change, I am such a crazily slow loser at the best of times.... it pays just to keep going.

Beachguy - I am still eating breakfast, lunch and dinner. What are you eating for your meals? I am curious.
Usually bacon (3 slices thick) and eggs (4 jumbo). I've tried flax pancakes and quiche, but they both spiked blood sugar, so I am staying on eggs and meat. Dinner is meat and a vegetable. Sometimes some full fat yogurt if I'm still hungry.

The trick for me was to eat a huge breakfast for a few days. That seems to get my appetite completely under control. I ate a smaller breakfast today and still wasn't hungry for lunch. If I do start getting hungry for lunch, I will add another egg or 2 to breakfast.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Lucky you being able to eat bacon. Pork products disagree violently with my digestive system so sadly I have to stay away from them....
Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
I'm still on it too. I've been 90% (eat closer to bedtime than Kruse advises due to my work schedule) on it since Oct 10 and was maybe 75% compliant from Sept 17-Oct 9.

I think I'm possibly starting to get leptin sensitive based on what I've read on Dr. Kruse's site and the Mark's Daily Apple Leptin Reset Thread.

I have no cravings. Ever. Even during TOM last week.
I really don't get hungry between meals anymore and often not even at mealtimes.
I sleep wonderfully for about 7-7.5 hours per night.
I stay warm most of the time (apparently a good sign).
My moods are very good. I've always been calm, but nothing really bothers me (again, supposed to be a good sign).
Still losing inches (I'm a non-scaler).

I wasn't stalled but wanted to do the protocol because I wasn't sleeping well and was always hungry between meals. It's been very helpful for both of those things.