Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Clabbergirl
WOE: modified paleo/primal
Start Date: 9/14/11
I'm glad to see so much activity on this thread. I've been reading Mastering Leptin and it really is much easier to understand than the good Dr. Kruse's, although I mean no disrespect to Dr. Kruse. I haven't started eating the Big A** Breakfast yet, still in the researching stages, but on the weekends I get a 50-70g protein breakfast in and admit that it really does 'stick to the ribs' and keep hunger away until well into the afternoon. If for no other reason, that's enough to make me want to start this. I really like some of the diagrams in Mastering Leptin, btw.

As for resistance, several medical doctors and other research state over and over again - if you are overweight, you are leptin resistant. Keep in mind, this hormone was only just discovered in '94. In terms of research years, that's like maybe 2 years ago. Most of the current studies are to figure out how to control it (with pharmaceuticals), not heal it back to its efficient state. It could be awhile before science knows all that this hormone is responsible for.
Clabbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
I am still doing well. I started my cycle and things are feeling a little different but for the most part it has been smooth sailing.
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #93
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Day 2 for me. I am not a breakfast eater but usually sip coffee (with cream) and don't get hungry until around 2. I found myself VERY hungry by about 1:30 despite the 50+g of protein. I have always had this problem with eating first thing in the morning. I hope it subsides or at least lessens.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zudy
WOE: vlc
I've been on the Dr. K reset for 5 weeks now and even with the early- a.m. 50 grams protein have always been hungry by lunchtime. Sometimes I'm not hungry for dinner so either skip it or have something small. I know that a lot of people find that they are not hungry at lunch, but I ain't one of them!
zudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zudy View Post
I've been on the Dr. K reset for 5 weeks now and even with the early- a.m. 50 grams protein have always been hungry by lunchtime. Sometimes I'm not hungry for dinner so either skip it or have something small. I know that a lot of people find that they are not hungry at lunch, but I ain't one of them!
But you're still eating 3 meals a day, sometimes only 2? What have your results been so far? Feeling, weight, sleep, etc?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
I've been doing Dr. Kruse's reset for about 5 weeks now.
I don't weigh but I've lost inches.
I sleep really well and fall asleep well. I used to use sleep meds every night, but haven't used any for almost 2 weeks now.
My energy after the big protein breakfast is incredible!
He says something about feeling calmer, but I've always had a clam steady personality anyway.
I don't get hungry between meals most of the time unless it's TOM and even then, I'm not all ravenous and full of cravings like I used to be.

I eat three meals per day. Big, high protein breakfast with little to no carbs. Lunch and dinner are my typical meat, low carb veggie, and sometimes cheese or nuts combos. My meals are anywhere from 5-8 hours apart depending on my work hours and I've been fine with all of these intervals.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I just saw this in the comments on Jack Kruse's blog, when questioned for the specifics on 50g of protein, and how he could get that much from eating eggs.

Comment #52, Jack says
"...The amount is not important if your cravings and your hunger has gone away. You can tinker with macros if your symptoms are not present to find your optimal protein and fat loads."

leptin resistance, Dr. Jack Kruse, weight loss, Why is Oprah still obese? | Jack Kruse
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Clabbergirl, it's been going great. I was already eating the same stuff but no early breakfast (ever before) and food on no set schedule before. On the L.R., I am eating a LOT more protein (averaging 100 grams), about 20% more fat and the same amount of carbs (minimal..very low) so calories are around 300 or so more, but I'm still losing and faster than before. Not hungry between meals, calmer (hard to describe) and sleeping a little longer than my usual shortish sleep hours of 5 or 6. Nowhere near 8 as yet, though. I am just going to keep on this routine since it's actually easier and probably healthier with the higher protein. Don't know when the "reset" will happen or if indeed it was needed in my case.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I managed to gain weight during a week of leptin reset. So maybe I wasn't leptin resistant, and maybe it was too much protein (too much food) for me.

Back to my usual way of eating.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #100
Chatty Cathy

My weight is the same but I have not been 100% compliant. I am finding it difficult to get that morning protein in and it messes with the rest of my day in terms of eating. I am going to give it way more time. At least to the point where I can do it more consistently by the rules for at least a couple of weeks.....

How is everyone else doing? Was it difficult to stucture your meals with such a 'loaded' breakfast?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

I am still really liking the leptin reset (Dr. K's method). I have 7 oz steak (give or take) for breakfast and that gets over the 50 gram part of it. I am doing this very low carb. I am actually having much more protein than I averaged before. It's usually 100 grams and occasionally as high as 140 (before, I got around 45 or 50). Fat grams are usually about the same as protein grams. Though I'm losing weight on the reset, I've read that not everyone does. I think Dr. K recommended checking hormone levels if gaining on it, though.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

I haven't been able to give this a real attempt. My schedule has been all over the place. On the mornings that I've been able to eat large (weekends and 1 or 2 days during workweek), I've been less hungry all day. Not even thinking about food. I can't wait to try this 7 days a week and see if I get any results weight loss wise.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zudy View Post
I think Dr. K recommended checking hormone levels if gaining on it, though.
Which hormone levels in particular?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Emily, I can't recall exactly where I read in all of the Dr. K discussions (on various websites) about hormones and a quick look didn't yield the answer. He did describe many tests that he performs on his patients to determine any adjustments to be made. But I did find a comment in a forum on MDA that it's very common to gain on the LR but that doesn't mean that it is not working.."something to do with hypothalamus adjusting". Someone else said that most women don't lose on the reset until they become leptin sensitive and another poster said she'd known women who lose, stay the same or gain during the reset. There are many on MDA's various threads describing their experiences.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the information, Zudy.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Squigglywiggly
Stats: 220/193.2/160
WOE: low carbing/leptin reset
Start Date: June 2010
I am loving the leptin reset. I am losing weight, my husband discovered this week I actually have a waist now! I am sleeping better, feeling no urge to eat between meals, really not even feeling hungry nowadays. I am on week 2.

Re the protein shakes, I am sure they used to raise my blood sugars - I was always hungry after them. Am thinking of making a big raw egg smoothie on days where I don't feel like chewing 50 grams of protein LOL

I enjoy low carbing a lot more now, I feel more in control following Jack Kruse's leptin reset. It just makes sense to me!
Squigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
My weight loss has not improved (still about the same rate) as a result of the Leptin reset but I feel like it helps to keep my blood sugars at a good place.
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

I'm still feeling good from this. I had a few days last week where my sleep was terrible, but it was TOM time so I assume that's what messed me up. I never sleep well then. TOM also made me hungrier than I had been on this reset. It was a little frustrating, but I seem to be back to normal this week.

This week I am really noticing the difference in appetite. I wake up easily in the morning and am physically hungry for the big breakfast. I get 50gms of protein down with no problem. Sometimes, I don't get lunch until 7-8 hours later (work schedule) but I feel totally fine.

My dinner and bedtime are a little too close together according to this protocol. Again, work schedule related, but it doesn't seem to be hurting me.

I feel great on this reset.

I agree that I've read on one of the Paleo message boards or on Dr. Kruse's page that weight loss is not always immediate, but that once the reset has taken place, future weight loss becomes easier. In several places he encourages people to not give up 6-7 weeks in because usually they just need another few weeks to be "reset".

I plan to eat this way indefinitely. I sleep great, have absolutely no cravings, have less physical signs of hunger, and feel healthier in general (good energy, good mood, no aches / pains).
Books and Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Books & Cats--

That is so great to hear! Congratulations and for feeling so good!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
This sums up my knowledge thus far

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-photog View Post
I don't know much about it, but I've been reading up on it too. Jack Kruse's website seems to have a lot of info.
I have been itching to switch gears into Paleo myself coming off HCG diet and follow the leptin reset recommendations. (I like to switch gears frequently and keep my metabolism guessing)

My gratitude for all who have posted their helpful suggestions and Kerry for starting this thread!

I will have to check out the book by Byron J. Richards mentioned about mastering Leptin...I think this could be my missing link.

Last edited by martiangurll; 10-26-2011 at 06:11 AM..
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll View Post

I will have to check out the book by Byron J. Richards mentioned about mastering Leptin...I think this could be my missing link.
I bought the book, have read 5-6 chapters and so far am not impressed. I encourage you to borrow the book or go to the book store and sit and read some of it before spending your money. Richards says that the Atkins diet is one of the worst diets you can be on. That right there turned me off. I will read another few chapters before I make my keep or throw away decision.

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting Article

Leptin Resistance and the Search for a Magic Fat Pill
Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman525 View Post
I bought the book, have read 5-6 chapters and so far am not impressed. I encourage you to borrow the book or go to the book store and sit and read some of it before spending your money. Richards says that the Atkins diet is one of the worst diets you can be on. That right there turned me off. I will read another few chapters before I make my keep or throw away decision.

Janice
I've never even heard of this book. I am following Dr. Kruse's leptin reset. He has a blog / website you can google if you're interested and you don't have to buy anything.
He is very pro-lowcarb. He advises a low carb paleo / primal diet for his reset and basically says you should avoid most carbs during this reset.
His stuff can be a little technical because he's a neurosurgeon, but his basics are easy to understand. He also often clarifies things in the comments on his blog when people ask questions.
If you want to do a low carb leptin reset, I would suggest checking his site out.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman525 View Post

Janice

Good to know. I bet Amazon has a used copy for cheapo dinero
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Janice,

Why does he think that Atkins is bad?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
Janice,

Why does he think that Atkins is bad?
I'll go find my book later. (It's 2 flights up and my knees and left hip are on strike.) Seems like he doesn't like the saturated fats ALL LCers inhale 24/7.

Janice
Old 10-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #117
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
This is interesting. If you don't have issues with whey protein, it would count for the 50 grams protein breakfast?
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Squigglywiggly
Stats: 220/193.2/160
WOE: low carbing/leptin reset
Start Date: June 2010
I would check your blood sugars first. He says eggs are the best, then animal proteins, and his 3rd but not really preferred is the whey protein, but I am pretty sure he wrote that he has never had a patient that hasn't spiked with whey....
Squigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #119
Chatty Cathy

I ate tuna (instead of a protein shake) this morning and 6.5 hours later, I am still not hungry - at all. This is twice now in the past 2 wks. For me, food I chew as opposed to food I drink, lasts way longer in terms of appetite suppression.

It is way easier to down a shake then eat enough protein first thing in the morning but maybe it is preferable in terms of the 'reset'????
Old 10-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

I sometimes use a protein bar with whey protein to help myself get to the 50gms, but I don't rely solely on that as my protein source. I have bars from Quest (I think Netrition sells them) that contain 20 gms of whey protein. On the days I eat these, I add them to 30 gms from 2-3 eggs and a small amount of meat.

If I have enough meat already cooked, I just eat it and the eggs.

One thing I've noticed with this reset is in the last few days, when I'm eating lunch and dinner, I'll get this feeling like, "Ok, I'm full now" even if I don't feel physically full. If I stop eating at that point, I still can easily make it to the next meal (dinner or the next day's breakfast).