Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adidas83
Quote:
Originally Posted by maylane View Post
Well, something is working.....I still follow a low carb diet, atkins, but....
add in leptin diet....now followed atkins for a month and a half lost 5#, now leptin and lost in 16#s in 6 days
Fantastic!
adidas83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Kruse's plan looks interesting. It overlaps well with Byron Richards Mastering Leptin, which I applied about a year ago (with nothing but benefits, especially the eliminating snacking thing. That took a while to get used to, but I felt soooo much better after implementing that for a few months).

Kruse I notice has some specific suggestions on exercise timing, which I did not see in Mastering Leptin.

What is the reasoning for "If you decide to incorporate working out, do it after 5 PM." I do like that because it fits into my schedule better, but usually I try to do it earlier in the day so that I have more protein intake from meals later in the day than going 12 hours or so until breakfast.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
porcupine
I can't find the reason for that 5pm exercise suggestion either. Richards suggests before breakfast or between meals right? I just started reading his book and implementing the plan in hopes to eliminate evening carb cravings.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zudy
WOE: vlc
Jeaniem, I've been at it about 12 days using Dr. K's method and I do like the fact that I'm getting in more protein and thus more calories but seem to still be losing at a faster rate than 200-300 less before. I just decided to try this out and didn't expect that result at all. I have a feeling that it could be that "stored fluid" may be behind some of the loss but..who knows? I do like the concept of not eating as often or between meals to control insulin releases..never thought about it till I read Dr. K.
zudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Porcupine, I think Dr. K covers the exercise theory in the "Leptin Prescription" and the "Leptin FAQ"...maybe if you do a search on those pages--including the comments section on the bottom--you'll find the explanation(s). I recall that he recommends no exercise at all until one is "leptin sensitive". It seems a little hard to understand some of his explanations!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charcutier
Stats: 325/264.75/165
WOE: Atkins '72 Induction
Start Date: 1/1/11, Restart 8/27/12
You know, Dr. Atkins also said that the one thing he required people to do was to start eating a "big, cozy breakfast". I never did, and I recall him saying you're doing yourself no favors if you don't, but I just could never get myself to do it.

I'm going to try this, though - even though I've always found food unappetizing in the early morning. I've been bouncing up and down for a while now - every time I get below 270, I bounce right back to 274. But not above. And then back down to 269-point-something... then back to 274. Arrgh.

So I've playing around in ******, trying to figure up menus for breakfasts - especially things I can make ahead for those days when I press the snooze bar one (two...) too many times. I am one for whom whey shakes seem to be a problem - they make me feel like I feel if I get too many carbs, which makes me think "insulin". Anyway, I'll try it starting tomorrow and see what happens. Definitely will post what I figure up in the menu thread, too.
Charcutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Dr Kruse, from the comments:
"LR folks need to extend fat burning. Once one eats it immediately turns off fat burning. So the best time to exercise when you are getting your “Ferrari” optimized again is to work out after your last meal. If you're already fit you don't need to pay heed to this issue."

"That rule is specifically for those who are LR and who have weight to drop. If you exercise before eating it immediately turns off all fat burning. So you want to exercise after your last meal to extend fat burning into sleep until you eat the next morning."

From the FAQs:
"6. Why no aerobic exercise during the reset? This will require some explanation. If you’re LR you are a sugar burner. You are not a fat burner. That means you can not do glycolytic exercise until your muscles and lever become completely LS as well. Your brain being LS is not enough. If your muscles are still LR they can not handle the glucose or the fat delivered to it to use. This is detailed in the “Why is Oprah still Fat blog” Another reason is the AMPk pathways are not working well as yet. This will be the focus of an upcoming blog. AMPK is stimulated by re-teaching your muscles and liver old tricks. This pathway teaches them how to deplete glycogen and to respond correctly to hypoxia and cellular stressors metabolically. Any time metabolism is stressed AMPk should respond in kind with big results. In LR it does not work well at all. And this is why body composition is trashed in LR states. When one does aerobic exercise and you are still LR you send signals to the mitochondria that things are really bad and instead of making new mitochondria to help out…….you kill your cells via apoptosis and you recruit new stems cells to replace the suicidal cells. Sounds good? Problem is that stem cell was going to help extend your life span……..well you just instead shortened it. This is why NFL players, bodybuilders and marathoners don’t live too long as group and why they get many disease early like heart attacks, Alzheimers and cancer. Not good. Longevity always mandates we protect our stem cells. We only wont to use them when we really need them. If you use them early in life your subtracting years from the end of your life."
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Hello all! I wonder if someone would be able to help me understand this. I've been reading through these threads, but haven't done any further research on leptin. What exactly is leptin? My limited understanding is that it is the body's ability to feel satiated??

Also, if we eat 50 gr. of protein within 30 min. of waking, are we to feel satisfied until dinner? What are most of you eating the rest of the day?

I am one of those that IS very hungry in the morning (but don't eat near 50 gr. protein) so this would be a God send if it could help me the rest of the day. Thanks, any help would be appreciated!!
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
I don't understand all of his concepts but I am eating the 50g protein breakfast and that has worked really well for me over the last week or so.

I also workout after 5 p.m. and that has always been my preference, not for scientific reasons, but just because it is practical and makes me feel best.
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #70
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Hello all! I wonder if someone would be able to help me understand this. I've been reading through these threads, but haven't done any further research on leptin. What exactly is leptin? My limited understanding is that it is the body's ability to feel satiated??

Also, if we eat 50 gr. of protein within 30 min. of waking, are we to feel satisfied until dinner? What are most of you eating the rest of the day?

I am one of those that IS very hungry in the morning (but don't eat near 50 gr. protein) so this would be a God send if it could help me the rest of the day. Thanks, any help would be appreciated!!

Leptin is a hormone secreted by fat cells.

What is Leptin? | Mark's Daily Apple
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the link Lisa!! Even though I am resistant to scientific talk this wasn't so bad. Lots of good info.

Well, I ate about 5 oz. pork rib meat at 5:30 this morning. I had 6 oz. planned but even though I wasn't necessarily full, I was just done eating!! So I guess that's only about 35 gr. protein. Wouldn't a person's size change the required amount? I'm only 5'2" so would I really need as much as someone who is 5'7"?

I'm a little worried, because even an hour later I can't say I feel full I had hoped this would get me through most of the day. I wish I didn't wake up so early!! Oh well, on with the experiment!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

J, I don't recall Dr. K stating that the 50 grams varied by height but I think he said some people may need more or less...it's probably in the main text or comments on the FAQ or the Leptin Reset web page. I get up very early too and some days it's hard but some days easy to get the 50ish grams in. I use steak. It's about the only thing I can eat at that hour. One day I only had 25 grams and I didn't notice being hungrier than with 50 but went back to 50 the next day. Some people seem to not be hungry at lunch on this but so far, I'm always hungry by then so don't skip lunch. I do often skip dinner, not because I'm not hungry at all at that time but because I've already run up plenty of calories in breakfast and lunch. Dr. K says not to count them but I do it anyway.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #73
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
ok so I had to try this..
I borrowed lisas idea and had 2 cans of tuna with a hb egg, and some onion and mustard..
It was harder to eat then natural childbirth. I pretended I was on man Vs food and chanted to eat it (at 6:15am)
it was near impossible but I did it..

I had to force myself to eat lunch at 1:30pm I made myself a smoothie. Im still not really hungry at all, and the only reason I ate the smoothie was because I was so full in the morning the idea of taking my vitimins made me ill feeling so I drank my lunch smoothie so I could take my vitimins with out getting sick..

Every morning I make myself an ice coffee big enough for a small army It prob holds like 4 cups (I drink it black with no sugar) well I drink that every day, Id on't miss a day at all.. ANYWAY I made it at 7am, and its only half gone now at 6:30pm (which im going to dump)
I have so much energy and I feel amazing.. This big breakfast thing is great, and its only day one..
Let me say, tuna though is hard to eat first thing in the morning, tomorrow I will eat beef or soemthing..
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #74
Big Yapper!!!!

Sounds great Kerry! On the days I get the protein amount at b'fast just right I don't need to eat until dinner. Yes the energy and the not wandering around wondering what to eat next is a great feeling!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

I was tummy rumbling HUNGRY by 11:00 am!!! Now I ate breakfast at 5:30 but that is when I get up. I am usually the one that never seems to get that appetite suppression (even in ketosis)
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's 5 or 5-1/2 hours, though (depending on if you finished eating or started eating at 5:30). Is that not good? Did whatever kind of breakfast you were eating before keep you full longer?

Are you getting plenty of fat with the breakfast? Dr Kruse says if you're eating the protein but getting hungry too soon, to up the fat. Sometimes I have a small piece of LC toast just so I can put a big spoonful of coconut oil on it, or have coffee with light cream for extra fat; other people put coconut oil in their coffee.

I've had to experiment with the type of protein I eat; pork & beef keep me full longer than chicken or tuna, or eggs & bacon.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I was tummy rumbling HUNGRY by 11:00 am!!! Now I ate breakfast at 5:30 but that is when I get up. I am usually the one that never seems to get that appetite suppression (even in ketosis)
I am following the Mastering Leptin plan, but what I have found to be the most satiating is closer to 70 grams protein with 10-15 grams of carbs. I eat this usually about 1hr after I wake up and almost always am not hungry until dinner.
Again this is Bryon Richards plan not Kruse's. I do think I remember Kruse saying that you can have more than 50 grams and a little bit of carbs and to eat as early as possible after waking up. I don't know maybe waiting a little longer to have breakfast wouldn't hurt.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
That's 5 or 5-1/2 hours, though (depending on if you finished eating or started eating at 5:30). Is that not good? Did whatever kind of breakfast you were eating before keep you full longer?

Are you getting plenty of fat with the breakfast? Dr Kruse says if you're eating the protein but getting hungry too soon, to up the fat. Sometimes I have a small piece of LC toast just so I can put a big spoonful of coconut oil on it, or have coffee with light cream for extra fat; other people put coconut oil in their coffee.

I've had to experiment with the type of protein I eat; pork & beef keep me full longer than chicken or tuna, or eggs & bacon.
Typically I have a couple of eggs fried in butter w/ some meat (bacon, or sausage or leftovers) so probably not 50 gr. protein. I also have plenty of 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee. But I usually wait until about 8:00 am to eat. Then it lasts me until about 1:00 (my scheduled lunch time) So that amount still lasts me about 5 hrs. but I was hoping Dr. Kruse plan would allow me to last until dinner or at least late afternoon. That way I could walk on my lunch hour. Does it take a while to kick in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I am following the Mastering Leptin plan, but what I have found to be the most satiating is closer to 70 grams protein with 10-15 grams of carbs. I eat this usually about 1hr after I wake up and almost always am not hungry until dinner.
Again this is Bryon Richards plan not Kruse's. I do think I remember Kruse saying that you can have more than 50 grams and a little bit of carbs and to eat as early as possible after waking up. I don't know maybe waiting a little longer to have breakfast wouldn't hurt.
Does the Richards plan have a website I could check out? I'd really love for this to work!!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Jeaniem have you lost 23 pounds since the 21st of August doing Mastering Leptin? That is fabulous. If you have 70 grams of protein for breakfast, how much protein do you have for the rest of the day. I find that if I have at least 50 grams of protein for breakfast it translates into about eight hundred calories, which explains why I'm not losing. On a positive note, I'm not gaining either, but I have about 30 pounds still to lose, so maintaining isn't really an option.
Could you post a typical day's menu please.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcutier View Post
I am one for whom whey shakes seem to be a problem - they make me feel like I feel if I get too many carbs, which makes me think "insulin". .
This is why I am not a "shake girl." I can't do shakes. I feel awful after consuming them. They give me heartburn and I have severe dizziness and fatigue an hour later.

I've tried all combinations. My husband is now a shake devotee and makes his with fruit, fullfat yogurt and flax, but me....no can do.

I do best on NO BREAKFAST, just coffee and hwc.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #81
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Does the Richards plan have a website I could check out? I'd really love for this to work!!

If you google there is website. I don't know much about it though. I am getting my info using the Mastering Leptin book.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-28-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #82
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
Jeaniem have you lost 23 pounds since the 21st of August doing Mastering Leptin? That is fabulous. If you have 70 grams of protein for breakfast, how much protein do you have for the rest of the day. I find that if I have at least 50 grams of protein for breakfast it translates into about eight hundred calories, which explains why I'm not losing. On a positive note, I'm not gaining either, but I have about 30 pounds still to lose, so maintaining isn't really an option.
Could you post a typical day's menu please.

Pat
No I just started Mastering Leptin on Fri. Sept. 23 and have lost 5 lbs. I don't count what I have for dinner which is usually my only other meal, but I would estimate it to be around 40 grams of protein.

Typical day:About 1 hr. after waking up

coffee with 4 tbl. half/half (1 cup while getting ready for work and another with breakfast.
6 oz. meat (usually chicken thighs)
1 hard boiled egg/or 1.oz cheddar
1/2 cup full fat cottage cheese
Protein shake (homemade or prepared)

Dinner:
Meat (don't measure, probably around 5-6oz.)
veggies (w/small amount of kerrygold butter)
1/2 apple
Iced coffee with 2-3 tbl. half and half
small amount of cheese occasionally

I recently gave up artificial sweetener too as suggested in the book in hopes of completely cutting off a taste for sweets.

I have also cut back my exercise. I plan to up the intensity a little later though.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-28-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #83
Big Yapper!!!!

How is everyone doing? I am still doing the big protein b'fast and usually feeling no hunger until dinner. I gave up splenda entirely which I think has helped a lot with cravings. The only time I seem to get hungry is when I use a protein shake with breakfast. I have a few in the fridge and have been trying to use them up. I feel in control and get full easily.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm trying JUDDD this week, not doing leptin reset at the moment.
It did keep me very full and satisfied--nice because I didn't think about food until dinner.
But I wasn't losing weight.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

I'm losing again, after months of bouncing back and forth between 269 and 274. I credit Leptin Reset.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 AM   #86
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Started the leptin reset program this morning. I am hopeful!!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Good luck

Cathy. You've been stalled for a long time. Hope this works for you
Mobear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #88
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yup, something has got to give and I am running out of ideas that make any sense - this one actually makes lots of sense to me....

Last edited by clackley; 10-16-2011 at 05:35 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Rah! Rah! Siss-Boom-Bah!

GoooooOOOOOO CLACKLEY!!!

/and Boola Boola, too.

Last edited by Charcutier; 10-16-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Old 10-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #90
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope it works for you Cathy!