Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Does bloodsugar go up after eating, no matter what?

This is a spinoff question after the question of bloodsugar rise after coffee, but....

Doesn't everything you consume make your bloodsugar spike? I guess I always thought that the mere fact that you eat something, sometimes even just think about food, caused that spike in bloodsugar.

I was always under the impression that you have the spike in blood sugar after you eat, no matter what you eat.

And that if you eat a snack mid-morning and again in the mid-afternoon, then you also cause bloodsugar spikes then too. And snacking all the time keeps your bloodsugar a bit more level even, but at a much higher level, and still spiking after each snack, and causing bloodsugar stay higher, longer, rather than be able to fall back down for awhile.

And that the rise and fall of bloodsugar levels, the spikes after eating any food, are just how it works. So, in those who don't have fasting levels that have raised the doc's alarm, in other words are considered normal, isn't it all functioning as designed?

Some additional info on this subject from you folks who have more knowledge about this will be welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited by SoHappy; 09-01-2011 at 05:18 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't know how you are using the word "spike," but among the diabetics in my family, that usually refers to a very high blood sugar reading after eating.

Yes, blood sugar goes up after eating--now matter what you eat--because it's a natural part of the body's digestive process. But you want to avoid a 'spike.' The idea of low-carb eating (and why it's so good for diabetics) is that it will minimize the elevated blood sugar--i.e., your bs will not 'spike.' Higher carb foods cause a much more significant rise in blood sugar.

The goal is to keep your blood sugar as steady as possible throughout the day--too low, and you're very hungry; too high, and the body starts storing fat.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
If you are not diabetic and have a robust insulin metabolism, you see pretty small increases. The pancreas is all over that blood sugar with more insulin and it's down again almost as fast as it rose.

Even a healthy insulin metabolism will show some blips at Thanksgiving dinner or eating a dozen doughnuts, but you know what I mean! LOL
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Thank you, Ladies. About as I thought the info would be, but nice to hear from those who know a lot more about it. I appreciate the answers.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote