Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sandyfanny
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: August, 2010
Low Carb Lavash?

Does anyone who low carbs eat Lavash? I buy Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Lavash Bread.

It comes in big rectangles. Half a lavash is 50 calories, 2 g. fat, 7 g. carbohydrate, 3 grams dietary fiber, no sugars, 5 grams protein. 4 net grams carbohydrate.

It's hard to find; I can only find it at WalMart. I know if I'm on Atkins Induction, it's a no-no; and a no-no practically forever. I've lost 40 pounds on and off of Atkins for two years. I have another 70 pounds to lose, so it's a long haul.

It's not delicious especially, but if you toast it carefully in a 350 degree oven, it makes really decent thin, crispy crackers to eat with chicken salad or a dip.

If you eat lavash, what do you do with it? Thanks.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
Joseph's Lavash bread is a mainstay for me. I eat it at least two to three times a week several different ways. Makes a great wrap for sausages. I spritz it with olive oil and form it over an inverted bowl and nuke to make a shell for taco salad. I cut it in fourths, lightly score into 9 pieces, spritz with oil, sprinkle with seasoning salt and nuke (carefully-- 10 seconds at a time) to make wonderful crackers. I also use it instead of LC tortillas for taquitos. The list goes and on and on. I don't bother to even try and find it locally -- I put in a Netrition order two or three times a year and freeze until ready for use.
Unlike LC tortillas this doesn't raise my blood sugar.
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks. I haven't tried to freeze, but I do keep it in the refrigerator. There's something I don't like about it unless it's toasted...texture? taste? I don't know, but I'm going to try it as you prepare it.

Lavash seems to be a useful, reasonable low-carb way to have bread, a wrap, or crackers without all the measuring and cooking.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much Induction Atkins. Not to be too inquisitive, but has eating lavash a couple of times each week prevented you from continuing to lose weight or did it seem to slow you down when you were losing?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ddailey320
Stats: depressed/progressing/HAPPY
have you tried using the Joseph's Low Carb Tortillas? I found a lot more uses for them than the lavish bread- which is okay, but seems to dry out a bit. I use them for wraps, cut and toast up to make nachos, spray with pam and sprinkly with cinnamon/sugar sub and then once more with pam and toast to make AWESOME cinnamon chips, use to hold together my spinach pie (spray outside with pam then sprinkle garlic and parsley), etc. The tortillas also freeze well, although they also seem to keep for a long time in the fridge. Luckily I can find mine in my local markets (Big Y and Stop and Shop)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I haven't tried Joseph's tortillas; I'll look for them. Your cinnamon sprinkly sounds really good. I have a ragin' sweet tooth, so that might be good for me too. Also, the tortillas might be a tastier wrap for me. I appreciate it. Congratulations on your weight loss and on maintaining it! You give me hope.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
Friday night has always been pizza and a movie night in our home.
When I started LC I thought I would have to give up the pizza, but thanks to Lavash I don't!!
I cut one rectangle in fourths. I only use half the lavash so really a low carb count!!
I sprinkle one quarter with thin layer of cheese and top with other quarter. I bake about 5 minutes and then take out of the oven. Then I spread with pizza sauce, cheese and whatever toppings I am having.
Bake until cheese melted. Serve with a big salad and I am in heaven!!
Actually it is better than any take-out!!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Eat the pita and wraps all the time. Use the pita for my hot dogs and make crackers out of the wraps.

YUMMY!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eastbruce
Stats: 202/187/120
WOE: JUDDD,Low Carb, High Fat
Use caution if you are sensitive to grains - I like these, but any amount of grain sends my blood sugar reeling!
eastbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. Jandjsmom, your pizza thingey sounds great. I'm trying that this week. I just bought some pizza sauce yesterday at the Dollar Store - woo hoo! Bargain!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Ever tried the Joseph Pitas? Amazing! I love to make calzones with them. You split one side just enough to make an opening. Fill then with your favorite things.

I brown italian sausage with onion, green pepper, some extra spices.

I like to put a couple slices of smoked provolone on the bottom, spoon in as much sausage as I want, some pepperoni, maybe even some banana peppers or whatever I want a handful of mozzarella cheese on top press the pita back down, Then I drizzle melted butter and a sprinkling of garlic powder and basil on top. Bake till golden brown and bubbly. I serve with a side of warmed pizza sauce or s/f spag sauce. YUMMO
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I love them, they have besome a mainstay for me and my husband. We make sandwich wraps, my favorites are a club or a BLT.

Last night, I got home late so for a quick supper I made chicken quesadillas using them and they were great.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I use the pita as a wrap for my hot dog! You get to put a lot of good LC condiments in there and then wrap the dog up!!

YUMMY!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote