Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Am I At The Point In My Life/Age Where I Have to Restrict EVERYTHING ?

This is JUST how I'm feeling right now. Cut carbs more, cut calories more, exercise more, cut out this food or that......cut, cut, cut, or more, more, MORE or less of most things it seems!!!

I am watching EVERYTHING LATELY, doing fat secret, and I am finding that if I eat my usual 1500 calories, 40 to 60g carbs a day that I have been eating for the past year on maintenance I am gaining weight. The ONLY time that I lose it and maintain it now is at 1200 calories or less and not more than 30 carbs.

I can not live this way, I'm always hungry, and please don't tell me to "up the fat" because upping the fat makes me hungrier, and this I KNOW and have experience with. I do LC because it works for me, I can eat good and healthy and I'm NOT starving, but now what was my "tried and true" way is not working! I even thought about doing another plan like WW but don't want to go back that way because I KNOW I'll eat way too many carbs and that would just make matters worse!

I'm thinking hormones, menopause and I'm not liking this place much! I'm also thinking I'm going to have to re-invent my WOE again and I'm not liking that place much, either!

Just needed to rant and I know I'll figure it out, but I'm just so darn frustrated now, it's annoying!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: T-Jan
Stats: 169.6/171.7/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/11/11
I think lots of us know the frustrations of food/eating/dieting/blah, blah, blah! You have done a great job, you are beautiful, strong and healthy. BUT WAIT. Maybe you really do need to check in with your health care professional and get a physical with blood work, just in case something is wacky. My thyroid has decided to sputter this past year as well as developing an inflammatory arthritis. I'm 53 and was in great health, except overweight, before the 50's hit. Whiiiiiiine! I feel bad for you. Your body is changing and you may need to see if you can pinpoint what is going on. Just a thought... Huggies!
T-Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It can be frustrating - to say the least (this is day 300 of my stall). I know you are not looking for advice but I have to ask; have you tried cutting all grains?

The one positive thing about struggling with food choices and weight is that I have continued to learn about nutrition in general and what does and does not seem to matter.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 11/16/14
Just think about all Hollywood actors and what they have to do to keep in shape.
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Hey Linda, here we sit together both figuratively and literally (I'm in Central NJ too and the same height as well ).

I am in the same boat. It appears that my maintenance plan, which worked well for a while (3 years now), is just not cutting it any more. I've been chalking it up to hormones (turning 51 is no one's idea of fun ), but I just can't seem to lose the few lbs I've gained back. I exercise like crazy, I watch what I eat, etc. but it seems to be settling around my perimenopausal mid-section like a spare tire

Don't get me wrong, I still squeeze into my size 8 jeans (size 10 for dress pants) but I can feel that muffin top effect and I don't like it. I see the scale and I know it doesn't lie.

So what's a girl to do? I also was thinking of doing the WW angle, but incorporating my WoE (South Beach) into it. I know some other folks doing that and have had some success. Others have said I need to add weight training (which I hate) to the cardio exercise that I love.

On the pro side, my weight has seemingly stabilized. I'm not happy about the number on the scale, but it has been the same for a while now. Even after vacation, etc. where I do eat and drink more than usual, I go right back to the weight I am sitting at today. The question is do I learn to live with this? Which is still 35 lbs better than I was before...or do I keep trying to find ways to get back to my low weight (need to lose ~7 lbs.)

Hang in there, you are not alone!!!

2014 Running Miles: 394
2014 Walking Miles: 313
2014 Biking Miles: 513
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
I hear ya!

Beeb, I'm right there with you on this topic. I'm 51 and since hitting 50 my new set point is 150. Through cutting my calories to 1200 or less, I managed to lose 1 whole pound. Age, hormones, whatever....
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
{{hugs}}

I understand.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 108 pounds / 59 yo / maintaining 12 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -12 YEARS ON ATKINS
I completely agree.

I'm 55 and in year 9 of maintenance. My weight has gone up a few pounds over the past 8-9 months, and my body seems content with that. I'm not, but my body is. But then again, I'm not real excited about being 55 either.

I think for me, the focus HAS to be:

1. Has my health improved?

2. Do I feel and look stronger and more fit than I've ever been?

3. Do I have more muscle now .. and less flab?

Although I started on this WOE to lose weight, its what I've GAINED that has really changed my life. I've gained muscle; I've gained FITNESS; I've gained strength and stamina. And although I can't get my youth back, I have certainly gotten a youthful FEELING ...

So, if the dastardly nemesis (the SCALE) reads a few pounds higher, should that frustrate me? No, it shouldn't, because I've come A LONG WAYS, BABY....

I think its definitely true that the rules change as we age, and especially those of us who are menopausal or close to it. Life is about making REALISTIC adjustments .. doing whatever it takes to feel and look your best. You do *what* you can with what you have. Use the knowledge you've gained to improve your health and fitness and scr*w the scale.

That's how I'm approaching it. This is a lifelong process of morphing .. into a better, healthier, stronger person who can focus on what's truly important in life .. and that AIN'T THE NUMBER ON A SCALE!!!

Betty

Last edited by sugarless4life; 07-29-2011 at 10:29 AM..
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
If it's a perimenopausal/menopausal thing, I highly recommend bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. Do you homework, however. I encountered a few quacks before I found a GREAT doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Time for a checkup Beeb-female hormones, thyroid, adrenals etc.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pony47
Stats: Highest 228 27 yrs ago/115 maintaining 5'6"
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: many times over 20 yrs/from size 24 to size 0
Sorry, Beeb - somehow I just think women get the raw end of the deal. We don't get more distinguished looking the bigger our bellies or grayer our hair. I'll be 53 in 2 months and going through the within-a-couple-months-of-crossing-over-into-menopause thing. I've been ok so far, but I have a bad feeling that when I cross the threshhold, I'm going to have the gain weight problem. The only thing that may save you, and the rest of us, is that we got the weight off before this hit. Perhaps you will bounce back and your body's just hit a rough patch. Take care.
Pony47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
Life gives us bumps in the road. Life is always about trade offs as I told someone the other day. I find that other doors open though that I least expected if I keep myself open to them.
I agree, it does seem like all life is doing is taking away and not giving back sometimes but it does even out if you hang tough. That hunger that you think is physical, just might be relieved by getting involved in something new in your life. When we concentrate on a particular problem, it does grow bigger in our eyes. You will be fine. Just vent all you want until it passes. And it will!

I made Goal on 6-12-11
New Goal....... 120
DH: 230/187/180
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Sorry to hear that you are struggling. I would agree that a hormone blood test is in order- dropping hormone levels can make weight loss a struggle.

I have to keep my calories pretty low too and I noticed that at first you feel hungry on around 1200 calories but over time you get used to it. So I hope the same happens for you!

You have been doing so well I hope you find the solution. You are already doing the right thing by getting on top of this when it is only a 5 pound regain.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 07-29-2011 at 12:53 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
No real advice Linda, just a of understanding.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jonahsafta
Stats: 165/157.8/153
Start Date: orig. 1995 @248#
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarless4life View Post
I completely agree.

I'm 55 and in year 9 of maintenance. My weight has gone up a few pounds over the past 8-9 months, and my body seems content with that. I'm not, but my body is. But then again, I'm not real excited about being 55 either.

I think for me, the focus HAS to be:

1. Has my health improved?

2. Do I feel and look stronger and more fit than I've ever been?

3. Do I have more muscle now .. and less flab?

Although I started on this WOE to lose weight, its what I've GAINED that has really changed my life. I've gained muscle; I've gained FITNESS; I've gained strength and stamina. And although I can't get my youth back, I have certainly gotten a youthful FEELING ...

So, if the dastardly nemesis (the SCALE) reads a few pounds higher, should that frustrate me? No, it shouldn't, because I've come A LONG WAYS, BABY....

I think its definitely true that the rules change as we age, and especially those of us who are menopausal or close to it. Life is about making REALISTIC adjustments .. doing whatever it takes to feel and look your best. You do *what* you can with what you have. Use the knowledge you've gained to improve your health and fitness and scr*w the scale.

That's how I'm approaching it. This is a lifelong process of morphing .. into a better, healthier, stronger person who can focus on what's truly important in life .. and that AIN'T THE NUMBER ON A SCALE!!!

Betty
ok that spoke to me thank you...
Jonahsafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jonahsafta
Stats: 165/157.8/153
Start Date: orig. 1995 @248#
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
This is JUST how I'm feeling right now. Cut carbs more, cut calories more, exercise more, cut out this food or that......cut, cut, cut, or more, more, MORE or less of most things it seems!!!

I am watching EVERYTHING LATELY, doing fat secret, and I am finding that if I eat my usual 1500 calories, 40 to 60g carbs a day that I have been eating for the past year on maintenance I am gaining weight. The ONLY time that I lose it and maintain it now is at 1200 calories or less and not more than 30 carbs.

I can not live this way, I'm always hungry, and please don't tell me to "up the fat" because upping the fat makes me hungrier, and this I KNOW and have experience with. I do LC because it works for me, I can eat good and healthy and I'm NOT starving, but now what was my "tried and true" way is not working! I even thought about doing another plan like WW but don't want to go back that way because I KNOW I'll eat way too many carbs and that would just make matters worse!

I'm thinking hormones, menopause and I'm not liking this place much! I'm also thinking I'm going to have to re-invent my WOE again and I'm not liking that place much, either!

Just needed to rant and I know I'll figure it out, but I'm just so darn frustrated now, it's annoying!!
Im so there too...Ive got the matronly bust...and abdominal fat that just wont leave..I too am struggling accept or not the 149 when Id like to be back down to 142 where I maintained for 4 yrs..b.m ( before menopause)
Jonahsafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Buttercup
Stats: 175/168/135
WOE: Atkins OWL
Have it done, but BAH, I had all the bloodwork and it's bloody normal. I am 42 and this nonsense is happening to me. I began doing the HCG thing and that WAS working, but I got a rash (became super sensitive to the sun) and had to stop. I might revisit the HCG in the winter, but it was VERY restrictive. The good thing is it seems like if I can lose the weight it can stay off, because the few pounds I lost I have managed to maintain and I am NOT eating all that good right now because it's my last hurrah. I looked into the bio hormone avenue, but honestly I just cannot afford it and my insurance will not help with it. I am loathe to try doing it on my own, because I react to these things (hcg included) in ways that others don't usually do.

So, all I can say is good luck and if you DO find something that works, please let me know. I am just not willing to give up EVERYTHING pleasurable in my life. I have WAY too much stress to have NO fun. And, I do eat pretty well, fresh veggies, fruit and protein. My indulgences of late are wine and breaded fried meats. I can give up the breaded and fried. But, my wine has to stay with me at least for the summer. When I start school, I'll be happy to exchange it for tea.

Much luck and hugs,
Buttercup
Old 07-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Buttercup
Stats: 175/168/135
WOE: Atkins OWL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I'm so sorry you are having this difficulty right now. I can certainly hear how frustrated and disappointed you are.

And, yes, it certainly does get harder to shed weight as the 40s pass on into the 50s, and it doesn't get any easier from there on out, really. I certainly urge everyone who is overweight at a young age to get that weight off before they get to the point where it's going to be a whole lot harder.

I just was going to ask if you had ever tried a calorie cycling way of eating? I'm only wondering because it did so much for me and really seemed to stimulate my metabolism to work at a bit faster pace. I suppose the calories being at high levels alternating with them being at low levels must be something like when we were primitive and some days we lucked into a lot of great food and some days were pretty lean. Well, I don't know, but all I do know is that it worked wonders for me.

And the other thing I like a lot is that every other day I get to eat a whole lot and am - basically - not on a diet at all. Whatever carb level a person wants to keep at is up to them.

Well, anyway, I'm sure sorry you are having this difficulty right now. Hope you get it figured out and find what works well for you.
DISH! Is this a plan that you follow? How do you attack it?
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #19

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
DISH! Is this a plan that you follow? How do you attack it?
Buttercup, the plan that works so well for me is JUDDD (which I do somewhat casually for maintenance and more strictly if I want to lose a few) and if you want to learn a bit more about it and how to follow it, come over to the *Other Plans* discussion forum area, and look for us in the July JUDDD thread. The very first post in that thread tells pretty much how to JUDDD, and then our discussions during the days keeps us up on various menus for our Down Days. We don't talk much about our Up Days as those are just regular, whatever-we-want days. Easy to get through, so no support needed there. Just don't go overboard. I don't want to get into it here, but you're welcome to come over and read and ask questions there. And you would be welcome.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I feel for you--lots of us women in our 50s are going through similar frustrations. I've been in maintenance for 8 years and suddenly started gaining weight, even though I exercise a lot.

The only thing that has worked for me to lose weight now, at 50, is intermittent fasting. I fast for 19 hours each day and eat during a 5 hour window (for me, that's 12 to 5). Essentially, I eat 2 meals a day instead of 3. It works to lose weight when the fat fast, very low calorie, and very low carbs did not. (But 3 days of more relaxed low carbing during my 50th birthday celebrations put the 3 lbs I lost doing IF right back on. Oh well! Off it comes again)

Bioidentical transdermal hormones have helped with sleep and hot flashes, but not with weight gain.

I re-set my goal 5 lbs upward, and also adjusted my larger goals to include: a strong body, fit, energetic, and lower stress. Weighing a little less is nice, but not as nice as a strong mind and a healthy body.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:37 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
I am too much of a newbie to have any advice, but I just wanted to send you a big hug (((beeb))). You are one of my lc inspirations, and I know you will figure this out. There is so much good advice here, kindly and freely given. This site totally rocks!
Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My BHRT definitely helps with weight loss!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/157.8/?
WOE: lc
The joys of getting older Our bodies adapt so quickly to our woe and exercise, leaving us with the challenge to always shake things up.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
How do you find a good doctor for bio-identical hormones?
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
How do you find a good doctor for bio-identical hormones?
Start with your Gyno. There are patches, pellets and cream. Very expensive systems are not always the best. I have had to learn this the hard way. Saliva vs. blood testing seems to be a big argument also.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 211/193.4/150
Start Date: 12/08/14
Oh Beeb your post caught my eye. I'll be 42 this september and that's exactly how I feel sometimes, like I have to give up everything.

Its just an idea...but give exercise a try. Keep counting your cals/carbs of course because exercise CAN ramp up appetite...but if you're not working out much now, it could help build muscle tissue that might let you eat a bit more and enjoy life a little more, you know?

moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #27

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Just listened to a podcast by the Dr. who invented the LC Mediterrean Diet for Diabetics and Pre-D's..He said as we age, it is very possible that we can't eat as many carbs as we did in our earlier years..I do think that is true..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizi View Post
My BHRT definitely helps with weight loss!!!!!!!!!!
You're so lucky! My bioidentical transdermal estrogen helps with lots of stuff but not with weight loss. In fact, I started gaining weight when I went on it, but I think that wasn't a direct cause. Still, it's frustrating.

But there's nothing wrong with readjusting your goals a bit. As I round out a little, I tell myself that gaunt middle aged women aren't as interesting as lively, energetic, well-rounded women.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:31 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Beeb - I also feel your frustration. I'm 55 and dealing with the same thing. I need to get more serious and quit fiddling around with my lowcarb program. I've eaten off plan way too much - but even when I stick with it 150% I lose very slowly when I used to be able to lose 6-8 lbs a week prior to menopause. I'm sorry you're going through this though - and I know it will take time for you to figure out how to deal with it. Hugs!
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

RE: BHRT, READ LOTS of books and medical journals to educate yourself before you pursue BHRT. I get custom compounded creams that are tailored specifically for my body's needs.