Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Menopause stall finally ended (with intermittent fasting)

Hi- After 8 years of low-carbing, I slowly gained 13 lbs over a year with the onset of menopause, and I couldn't seem to budge that weight. Strict induction, meat fasts, fat fasts, low cal/low carb--nothing was working. It was driving me nuts. I'd lose a couple lbs, then it would come back on. I didn't want to resign myself to an extra 13 lbs, but I was beginning to think that was going to happen.

But I finally found something that is working: intermittent fasting (IF). For 8 days now, I have been doing 19 hours fasting/5 hours eating window each day. My eating window is from noon to 5 pm. I eat my regular low-carb stuff, including berries (which I haven't been able to have for a long time) and nuts. And the weight has been steadily coming down for 8 days now--each day, a bit more comes off. 3 lbs down in 8 days! That's amazing for me, since I'm usually more than happy with a lb down every other week. I'm now within 4 lbs of my new goal (which is a little higher than my old weight--135 instead of my old 130 lbs, which was unrealistic over the long term for a woman of my age, muscle, and activity. I'm very athletic, and I don't want to lose muscle.

With IF, I'm eating 2 meals a day instead of 3. I do have cream in my coffee in the morning (not technically allowed, but it works for me), and if I'm really hungry in the evenings, I'll have a teaspoon of coconut oil. In essence, I'm having 2 meals a day instead of 3, and my calories are about 10% lower than my average. But they're higher than when I was trying all the other approaches to budging this menopause weight, which weren't working.

Absolutely no evening snacking is hard, and I'm guessing that's a big reason why I'm losing finally--I bet I was taking in more carbs and calories in the evenings than I realized (and more dairy).

Anyway, this isn't easy, but it's effective. I do feel hungry a lot, which I've never felt on regular LC. I also sometimes feel light-headed, which I haven't ever felt on regular LC. Both may be because I'm eating less than I have been for 8 years.

Last edited by tiva; 07-22-2011 at 08:44 AM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
That is wonderful.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Menopause is a M*!!!!!!!!!!!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Nice work Tiva. I eat two meals a day as well. Usually at 11am and 6pm. I have been doing this for about 10 months or so. I also felt a little light headedness and lower energy, but quickly went away by adding a pinch of Celtic sea salt to my water bottle each time I filled it up. I am rarely hungry unless it is right at mealtime. If I had to guess, I average about 2200-2500 calories a day. I am not in weight loss mode although I have shrunk a little in different places. Keep at it and the hunger should normalize.
I eat right, I exercise, I look good, I feel good, I weigh exactly what God wants me to weigh.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cavewoman
WOE: low carb / high fat + intuitive eating
Yay! I just started intermittent fasting as well (yesterday), and I really love it. I only have a two our window, though (6pm-8pm). I'm glad that it's working for you, and I hope the rest of the weight falls off.
cavewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavewoman View Post
Yay! I just started intermittent fasting as well (yesterday), and I really love it. I only have a two our window, though (6pm-8pm). I'm glad that it's working for you, and I hope the rest of the weight falls off.
2 hour window! Yow! How much do you eat in that window--the equivalent of one meal, or two?

Thanks for the sea salt tip. I have been adding some fresh-ground sea salt, and it seems to be helping. I'm out of the celtic sea salt though. Plus the lightheadedness seems to be decreasing a lot.

I don't quite see why this works when nothing else was working, but I'm glad to find something that does! I'm so close to goal that it makes losing a lot harder.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Congratulations! You should be very proud that you didn't just accept the extra weight and instead looked for a solution and found one.

I think we have to make trade offs- and one of them is that we might have to be a little hungry( not starving) sometimes to maintain a lower body weight (especially when dealing with hormonal issues). Your hunger should decrease over time as your body gets used to a smaller amount of food that is more appropriate for your smaller body weight.

For me evening snacking was a terrible habit at the beginning of Atkins and one of the best things I did was to break it. I eat twice a day and after dinner I don't eat before bed. I know I am really not hungry because I've had enough calories so the days I feel a little bit hungry I just drink some water and it passes. Before I was convinced I needed that extra food but apparently not because it hasn't negatively affected my health or well being. It's just like waking up early- my body tells me to keep sleeping and ignore the alarm (even if I had 8 hours of sleep) but I ignore it and wake up because I need to.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 07-23-2011 at 01:36 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
I didn't see any specific information on anyone doing I.F......did I miss it?
Is there a I.F. part of LCF...?
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Congrats!! I find menopause and weight issues to be the most frustrating thing in the world! I'm glad you found something that worked.
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Way to see those pounds go!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Magdalena
Stats: 160/155/125
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 2013
Is this still working for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
But I finally found something that is working: intermittent fasting (IF). For 8 days now, I have been doing 19 hours fasting/5 hours eating window each day. My eating window is from noon to 5 pm. I eat my regular low-carb stuff
I wonder if this way of fasting is still working for you. Thanks.
Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote