Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Menopause stall finally ended (with intermittent fasting) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/729082-menopause-stall-finally-ended-intermittent-fasting.html)

tiva 07-22-2011 08:39 AM

Menopause stall finally ended (with intermittent fasting)

Hi- After 8 years of low-carbing, I slowly gained 13 lbs over a year with the onset of menopause, and I couldn't seem to budge that weight. Strict induction, meat fasts, fat fasts, low cal/low carb--nothing was working. It was driving me nuts. I'd lose a couple lbs, then it would come back on. I didn't want to resign myself to an extra 13 lbs, but I was beginning to think that was going to happen.

But I finally found something that is working: intermittent fasting (IF). For 8 days now, I have been doing 19 hours fasting/5 hours eating window each day. My eating window is from noon to 5 pm. I eat my regular low-carb stuff, including berries (which I haven't been able to have for a long time) and nuts. And the weight has been steadily coming down for 8 days now--each day, a bit more comes off. 3 lbs down in 8 days! That's amazing for me, since I'm usually more than happy with a lb down every other week. I'm now within 4 lbs of my new goal (which is a little higher than my old weight--135 instead of my old 130 lbs, which was unrealistic over the long term for a woman of my age, muscle, and activity. I'm very athletic, and I don't want to lose muscle.

With IF, I'm eating 2 meals a day instead of 3. I do have cream in my coffee in the morning (not technically allowed, but it works for me), and if I'm really hungry in the evenings, I'll have a teaspoon of coconut oil. In essence, I'm having 2 meals a day instead of 3, and my calories are about 10% lower than my average. But they're higher than when I was trying all the other approaches to budging this menopause weight, which weren't working.

Absolutely no evening snacking is hard, and I'm guessing that's a big reason why I'm losing finally--I bet I was taking in more carbs and calories in the evenings than I realized (and more dairy).

Anyway, this isn't easy, but it's effective. I do feel hungry a lot, which I've never felt on regular LC. I also sometimes feel light-headed, which I haven't ever felt on regular LC. Both may be because I'm eating less than I have been for 8 years.

clackley 07-22-2011 08:55 AM

:high5: That is wonderful.

zizi 07-22-2011 10:08 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Menopause is a M*!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanessa120 07-22-2011 06:50 PM

Nice work Tiva. I eat two meals a day as well. Usually at 11am and 6pm. I have been doing this for about 10 months or so. I also felt a little light headedness and lower energy, but quickly went away by adding a pinch of Celtic sea salt to my water bottle each time I filled it up. I am rarely hungry unless it is right at mealtime. If I had to guess, I average about 2200-2500 calories a day. I am not in weight loss mode although I have shrunk a little in different places. Keep at it and the hunger should normalize.

cavewoman 07-22-2011 07:59 PM

Yay! I just started intermittent fasting as well (yesterday), and I really love it. I only have a two our window, though (6pm-8pm). I'm glad that it's working for you, and I hope the rest of the weight falls off.

tiva 07-22-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavewoman (Post 14850947)
Yay! I just started intermittent fasting as well (yesterday), and I really love it. I only have a two our window, though (6pm-8pm). I'm glad that it's working for you, and I hope the rest of the weight falls off.

2 hour window! Yow! How much do you eat in that window--the equivalent of one meal, or two?

Thanks for the sea salt tip. I have been adding some fresh-ground sea salt, and it seems to be helping. I'm out of the celtic sea salt though. Plus the lightheadedness seems to be decreasing a lot.

I don't quite see why this works when nothing else was working, but I'm glad to find something that does! I'm so close to goal that it makes losing a lot harder.

nolcjunk 07-23-2011 01:34 PM

Congratulations! You should be very proud that you didn't just accept the extra weight and instead looked for a solution and found one.

I think we have to make trade offs- and one of them is that we might have to be a little hungry( not starving) sometimes to maintain a lower body weight (especially when dealing with hormonal issues). Your hunger should decrease over time as your body gets used to a smaller amount of food that is more appropriate for your smaller body weight.

For me evening snacking was a terrible habit at the beginning of Atkins and one of the best things I did was to break it. I eat twice a day and after dinner I don't eat before bed. I know I am really not hungry because I've had enough calories so the days I feel a little bit hungry I just drink some water and it passes. Before I was convinced I needed that extra food but apparently not because it hasn't negatively affected my health or well being. It's just like waking up early- my body tells me to keep sleeping and ignore the alarm (even if I had 8 hours of sleep) but I ignore it and wake up because I need to.

Galveston Gal 07-24-2011 05:18 PM

I didn't see any specific information on anyone doing I.F......did I miss it?
Is there a I.F. part of LCF...?

cabrioluvr 07-25-2011 04:17 AM

Congrats!! I find menopause and weight issues to be the most frustrating thing in the world! I'm glad you found something that worked.

zipp2play 07-25-2011 05:36 AM

Way to see those pounds go!

Magdalena 04-30-2013 04:49 PM

Is this still working for you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiva (Post 14849138)
But I finally found something that is working: intermittent fasting (IF). For 8 days now, I have been doing 19 hours fasting/5 hours eating window each day. My eating window is from noon to 5 pm. I eat my regular low-carb stuff

I wonder if this way of fasting is still working for you. Thanks.:goodpost: