LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
What is a foodie "treat" for you?

Was just wondering how often other l/c'ers give themselves a foodie treat, and when they do, what is it? Do you view some l/c foods as "treats" or does it have to be a high carb food?

When I was on low cal low fat, I would be terribly strict all week...then have the weekends "off", to eat as I wanted (The No "S" diet)

Trouble is, I wouldnt just have a few treats, I would spend the weekend eating crap...which in turn led to massive guilt, and bouts of bulimia....SO not a healthy way to live!

Now I am doing low carb, Atkins style, I know that if I have no treats, I will manage for a while, then end up with a massive binge. Also, if I have a "day off" as some do, I wont be able control my eating, and will end up bulimic again.

So what I do is have a daily treat...still l/c and still within my allowance...for me usually an egg custard, or some greek yogurt with p/b or rhubarb.

This is always the last thing I eat for the day, and it has stopped any feeling of being deprived...I think its kind of the carrot and donkey effect...lol!

Anyway...I started L/c on the 28 March this year...and so far...no binges, a very slow weight loss....and more important ...no bulimia!
hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"

Last edited by Joedi; 07-22-2011 at 07:11 AM..
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Jo, that's fabulous! The way I look at it is, this way of eating can be so broad and varied that there would be no reason anyone would have to deprive themselves much at all, ever.

Obviously, if you are currently in a round of eating for weight loss, you will be eating less and within stricter parameters. And it's up to you whether you choose to eat like that for weeks/months on end until you've lost all the weight, or whether you want to take it in stages with periods of maintaining the current loss in between those rounds of more weight loss. So during weight loss your food choices may well be a bit more limited, but still filled with fabulous foods, delicious foods, and certainly foods that you could consider a rewarding and fulfilling *treat*.

And with the inclusion of the alternate flours and sweeteners on the market today, and available and easily ordered through Netrition here, folks can eat almost anything that the non-low carbers can eat in their homes.

It's just that when it comes to eating the manufactured low-grade crap foods stocked in grocery store aisles and sold in the donut shop-type establishments everywhere, well... those are the foods we choose to not eat. But you know what? A lot of people who are not on low carb food plans choose not to eat that crap either, so we're not alone.

Glad you've found some fun foods and food combos that fill that little happy delight of being able to treat ourselves to something yummy and pampering to our mouths and tummies. LOL
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Talia
Stats: 204/189.5/156 - 5'10
WOE: Moderate-low carbs/ low glycemic
Start Date: June 26, 2011
Because I am not on a strictly low carb WOE my treat is frozen blueberries with sliced fresh strawberries topped with some cream. I need to not feel deprived or let myself get too hungry as that is when I fall off the wagon.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
All my lc foods feel like treats. A nice thick grilled ribeye, bbq wild salmon, roasted chicken all with fresh garden salsa.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pony47
Stats: Highest 228 27 yrs ago/115 maintaining 5'6"
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: many times over 20 yrs/from size 24 to size 0
A Larabar is my treat during the week. Saturday is my off-low-carb day and my favorite treat is chocolate chocolate chocolate candy!
Pony47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I do not have 'off plan' food but I do have l/c treats and they are not always in the form of 'sweets'. I do like sea food a lot but it is expensive so it is an occasional treat.

I started eating yogurt a few months ago as I felt it was very good nutritionally speaking. As it turns out, it is a delicious treat as well and I include it in my menu almost daily!!

Cheesecake is my 'ultimate' treat. I made one last weekend for a birthday and the remainder is frozen in individual servings and I will have a slice in place of a meal when the urge hits me....hmm, maybe today!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #7

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony47 View Post
A Larabar is my treat during the week. Saturday is my off-low-carb day and my favorite treat is chocolate chocolate chocolate candy!
One can never have too much chocolate
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: QFMVCunctator
Stats: 231/209/160 5'11"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb. 2008 (4th post-pregnancy re-start: Sep. '12)
Low-carbs treats: Fage yogurt (always full fat--I think of it as my "poor man's ice cream.") Peanut butter. Green & Black's organic 85% dark chocolate. And I love making desserts with low carb ingredients--nut flours, stevia, erythritol, etc. It's such a fun challenge to see how close to high carb treats I can get them. I can't eat any of this stuff if I want to lose, however. In weight loss mode, the only thing sweet that I have is coffee with a little cream and stevia--tides me over for a bit.
QFMVCunctator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
A real treat is a more expensive or elaborate low carb food. Steamed artichokes with dill dip, shrimp with lc cocktail sauce, a rib eye steak with blue cheese butter... things like that. If it's a really special occasion, I make LC cheesecake with pecan crust.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #10

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
In the summer lobster is a treat for me because it goes on sale so often. Still expensive for a regular meal at home, but worth it. This week I had to settle for some steamers though, because lobster wasn't on sale - stil a treat though.
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
Always ON plan treats for me. And usually something sweet.

Atkin's bars (though not often and with my research on sugar alcohols probably not anymore)
coconut bark (if I want to make it really special I'll eat it with a couple of peanuts)coconut fudge(my latest indulgence. Just like the bark only you add cream cheese.)
Lemonade (water, lemon, stevia & ice)
Spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: granolamom
Stats: HW:241 SW:236/212.6/145
WOE: Atkins <20g net carb/clean eating
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
Low carb treats for me as well

85% or 90% Lindt Dark Chocolate
Coconut bark...extra special I'll add a tsp of almond butter, tbsp sliced almonds, 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
Coconut Manna by Nutiva its so so so rich that just a little bite it good...the texture is a little gritty but I think mixed with some cocoa and stevia I'd be in heaven
Iced Coffee w/HWC
a little cream cheese whipped w/HWC, cocoa powder, english toffee or chocolate raspberry liquid stevia chill and its like a thick cream cheesy mousse ... less cream cheese and more HWC makes it fluffier

I'm getting ready to add berries on rare occassion ... with a little hwc sounds sooo good.

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission. -Eleanor Roosevelt

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. -Upton Sinclair
granolamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beachgirl21
Stats: 122/113/105/f/5'0
I agree, I try to stick with low carb treats since even overdoing it on those can stall your weight loss!

SF jello and SF coolwhip was one of my favorites before.
Atkins bars (especially the coconut- 10 carbs)
Almond flour muffins with cream cheese in the middle (I try not to make these too often because theyre so addicting)
Breyers low carb almond ice cream bars (7 net carbs including sugar alcohols.. Theyre soo good I try not to buy them because they're too easy to overeat)
Shrimp scampi frozen from Whole Foods- expensive but amazing!
beachgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
In the summer lobster is a treat for me because it goes on sale so often. Still expensive for a regular meal at home, but worth it. This week I had to settle for some steamers though, because lobster wasn't on sale - stil a treat though.

For all the cooking I've done over the years I have never had the courage to steam a lobster tail. Could you pm me or post how you do it? Even on sale I would hate to lose the money if I screw it up!
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I'm all about low-carb treats. Some of them for me include:

Filet mignon
The biggest shrimp I can afford to buy...
Chobani Greek Yogurt (freeze it for about an hour - it is like soft-serve ice cream...)
Sugar-free fudgicles
A smoothie made with some almond milk, greek yogurt, vanilla (or your fav) protein powder, and some frozen blueberries or strawberries...

Having a food that feels like a treat and is still low-carb is like a double treat to me!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I'm all about low-carb treats. Some of them for me include:

Filet mignon
The biggest shrimp I can afford to buy...
Chobani Greek Yogurt (freeze it for about an hour - it is like soft-serve ice cream...)
Sugar-free fudgicles
A smoothie made with some almond milk, greek yogurt, vanilla (or your fav) protein powder, and some frozen blueberries or strawberries...

Having a food that feels like a treat and is still low-carb is like a double treat to me!
Threadjack: Hot Tamale- the question and the quotes in your siggy are great! Did you recently put them up? I don't remember reading them before...? You know, some days you see the same thing you have probably seen many times before- but on this day it hits home and is like brand new. Thanks.
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
I would LOOOVE if you shared your l/c egg custard recipe, please!
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony47 View Post

What specific types of Larabar do you like and that are l/c? I've seen them in the store but never checked the info or flavors.
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I know that they are terribly unhealthy with hydrogenated oils and malitol, but I do love the Chocolate Sugar Free Tasty-Kakes. I count the sugar alcohols and make sure I keep my carbs under 30 for the day.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShesSuperCool
Stats: My goal was to start taking care of myself.
Start Date: April 14, 2011
Coconut bark made with about half a serving of nuts. It's as good as any candy bar I've had. I make it into a "Mr. Goodbar" and eat it every single night. In bed. ha!

Kroger brand SF popsicles that I will eat half a dozen of some days when it's super hot. I love the banana flavor the best. I usually only have one or two.

Good nuts like roasted pecans and macadamias. I have a serving every night if I remember. I usually remember. lol

I am like you. I have to have my goodies or I'll binge. I know this like I know my name now. I can avoid binging by planning good treats during my trigger times. Some people in my family make comments about me eating at night, but they can just go jump in a lake. I'm eating these treats and it's working for me. Hrummpff!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Hi Julie - Glad my quotes hit home! Actually, the quotes have been on there for probably close to a year... The top bolded question, however, is pretty new, but it I put it there because, for me, it really is the question I've started asking myself before every meal and also when I feel like not exercising... All of the quotes help me remember why I'm doing this and what I want. Glad they worked for you today!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
We do up our carbs just a bit on Sunday. Sunday was always the day I would make a special meal with a dessert before we went on the diet. We still do that. All low carb and legal but not something we would eat every day. Like Blueberry muffins or SF Chocolate pudding or maybe a small slice of watermelon or cantaloupe.
I keep SF Jello in the fridge for snacks during the week and of course there is pork skins. As long as we have something special on Sunday, we seem to do alright through the week. But if we did crave something, I would try to work a low carb version into our meals without worrying about the carbs since we are perfectly happy most days with just simple meat and veggie eating.

I made Goal on 6-12-11
New Goal....... 120
DH: 230/187/180
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Hi Julie - Glad my quotes hit home! Actually, the quotes have been on there for probably close to a year... The top bolded question, however, is pretty new, but it I put it there because, for me, it really is the question I've started asking myself before every meal and also when I feel like not exercising... All of the quotes help me remember why I'm doing this and what I want. Glad they worked for you today!
Cool. Like!
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tiggy_oz
Stats: 330/249/190 5'10"
WOE: LCHF + IF
Start Date: 1 Nov 2010 (+4 months off & 20lb regain)
Thats great you have found a way to keep on track and taking control of your bulimia.

My treats are:
Chicken wings (bit high cal for my daily consumption) every 2 weeks or so
Bottle of red wine, every 2-3 weeks
Something made with cream cheese (when I can find it in the store)

Few things are off limits to me as long as they fit into my daily plan. Eg I splurge on chicken wings, or a cream cheese chocolate thingy I'll normally eat lower cal for the day.

I'm terribly boring
tiggy_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charcutier
Stats: 325/264.75/165
WOE: Atkins '72 Induction
Start Date: 1/1/11, Restart 8/27/12
All my treats tend to be of the "I went to some trouble for myself" variety. Elaborate preparations of LC things, sauces, that sort of thing. I have to stay Very Low Carb to lose, so I can;t do fruits, and even most LC SF desserts considered "Induction friendly" can get me off track. Here's a list of things I do for myself that feel like "treats", though:
  • A nice antipasti platter of different home-made sausages, cured meats, cheeses, pickles and so on. With a few home-roasted nuts, which is about as high carb as I can go.
  • Chocolate made with coconut oil and cocoa powder. I got a few different molds (bars, pyramids, squares...) from my favorite online "books and everything else imaginable" site and make fun and fanciful shapes. My next experiment is to use coconut manna as a filling for bonbons, once it arrives.
  • STEAK! I loves me some steak. And again, taking the time to grill it over good wood makes it that much better.
  • Seafood - shrimp and scallops sauteed in butter, served over baked fish
  • A really good coffee with cream and SF hazelnut syrup
  • I make SF popsicles (got the molds the same place as the chocolate molds) out of lots of things - sweet tea, lemonade, limeade, SF kool-aid etc. Love 'em.
Charcutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
My treat is nuts ... specifically cashews and smoked almonds. But I have to be very careful on the portion control. It is real easy to eat a billion calories and carbs with them.

[dreams of a nice cold beer and a bowl of nuts ... *sigh*]
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: asbrown
Stats: 243/197/150
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Feb. 3 2011
I am a huge foodie. I find that LC eating plans allow for a lot of great foodie choices. Some of the things that eat as foodie treats are:
Steak with basil or cajun cream sauce
mashed cauliflower with lots of butter, cheese and bacon
SF cheesecake
berries
red wine
zuccini fries with spicy mayo dipping sauce
my Starbucks treat is a SF vanilla latte made with hwc--heaven

One thing I do every night to help keep me from feeling deprived, is arrange my food really nice on the plate. I feel like I enjoy it more if it looks nice, like i'm eating out or something.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #28

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
I love SF creme brulee

....and call me crazy, but liver and onions cooked in butter with a splash of red wine is also a special treat (I know, many would barf just at the thought of it).

Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
A big salad made with local heirloom vegetables and really good Californian extra virgin olive oil.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
LOVE liver and onions!! Yours looks yummy!
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote