Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TammySue
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2005
Upset with bloodwork results

I just got back my cholesterol bloodwork results and am upset.
I see women on here much heavier than me with wonderful bloodwork numbers.

Since my last test I have lost over 20 pounds and walk every day.
My previous results:
Total - 242
HDL - 57
LDL - 168
TRIG - 85

Current results:
Total - 263
HDL - 71
LDL - 179
TRIG - 66

I did figure out my ratio numbers and they are great.

Thanks for any feedback!

ETA: About a year ago my triglycerides were 300!

Last edited by TammySue; 07-21-2011 at 09:29 AM..
TammySue is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
What did your DR state about your results? I know my Mom has issues with cholestrol and it is genetic. If your Tri's were that high just 1 year ago, you are doing great!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Plastic Wrap Ninja

Gallery: BigBravesGirl
Stats: 397 / 330.2 / 2??
WOE: Biggest Loser Challenge
Start Date: Feb 8, 2014
Blood count numbers (especially cholesterol) aren't just about your weight.

My brother weighed over 400 lbs and his cholesterol was awesome. My uncle, who might weigh 150, has cholesterol numbers out the roof.

Last edited by BigBravesGirl; 07-21-2011 at 09:38 AM..
BigBravesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
What did your DR state about your results? I know my Mom has issues with cholestrol and it is genetic. If your Tri's were that high just 1 year ago, you are doing great!
Haven't seen my doc yet, but on my last visit he wanted my LDL number to go down or else he wanted to put me on a statin, which I would prefer to avoid. There is high cholesterol in my family so it is probably genetic.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #5

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
OH that stinks girl. As your DR if you gave it a little more time on the LC eating to see if they change more.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Did they measure the SIZE of the LDL particles? Size is important, not total number. It's very simple for them to measure size of particles (you want 'big, fluffy' LDL's). Prevention magazine just ran an article on this, too, so I know this info has gone more mainstream. Don't go on a statin unless you know your particle size. Total numbers don't count.
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
From what I have read, there is no evidence that high cholesterol in women is linked to heart attacks. They are extrapolating from poor studies done on men a long time ago.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Chasintrail
Stats: 205/? size 10/8-10 5'6"
WOE: Primal - high-fat/real food
Why are you upset? Those are fantastic! Your HDL is good and your Tri's are low. So you most likely have large fluffy LDL, it's a good thing. If your doctor is an idgit, insist on a VAP test and throw away the statin script.

GME is right, there is no evidence that "high" cholesterol is an issue in women (or the majority of men for that matter). In fact, one study seems to show that "high" TC is protective in elderly women. Did you know that up until a few years ago normal TC was 240? Or that low TC (below 170) is associated with increased risk of cancer, strokes, depression, and suicide? Or that half the people with heart disease have normal or low TC?

Pick up a copy of Fat and Cholesterol are Good for You, or The Cholesterol Con. Educate yourself of the science and don't let your doctor talk you into a drug that will be useless at best and probably harmful.

Eat real food, mostly animals
Chasintrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
Did they measure the SIZE of the LDL particles? Size is important, not total number. It's very simple for them to measure size of particles (you want 'big, fluffy' LDL's). Prevention magazine just ran an article on this, too, so I know this info has gone more mainstream. Don't go on a statin unless you know your particle size. Total numbers don't count.
Exactly. Cholesterol is not the enemy or forerunner of heart disease .. rather it is INFLAMMATION which is at the core of every disease. Study up on cholesterol and you will see that its a vital component to a healthy body. Doctors (by and large) are brainwashed by pharmaceutical reps to peddle statin drugs which are VERY unhealthy. I could list the reasons, but it would take me all day.

Do your own research on cholesterol, healthy fats, etc. Be your own health advocate and don't let a doctor or anyone else do it for you!!

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Someone who I think is really good on the subject is Chris Masterjohn (blog 'dailylipid') and there is a great interview that you may be interested in listening to...

ONL045 Chris Masterjohn Interview: Cholesterol Facts and Myths « Our Natural Life
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
Sugarless for life just summed up the point I was going to make about letting your doctor bully you in to expensive and harmful statins. Read up for yourself.

Studies have proved that statins do not help women at all! They also do not help men, except for men who have already survived a heart attack.

The Framingham study which has been going on for decades showed THE HIGHER the colesteral, THE BETTER the overall health of the people involved.

My doctor reccommends statins to me each visit and I steadfastly refuse.
CalRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRon View Post
Sugarless for life just summed up the point I was going to make about letting your doctor bully you in to expensive and harmful statins. Read up for yourself.

Studies have proved that statins do not help women at all! They also do not help men, except for men who have already survived a heart attack.

The Framingham study which has been going on for decades showed THE HIGHER the colesteral, THE BETTER the overall health of the people involved.

My doctor reccommends statins to me each visit and I steadfastly refuse.
This is completely OT, but I have an uncle named Ron that looks like you. His kitchen looks like yours and he is from California too.

Back to cholesterol..... I forget where I read it (probably Good Calories, Bad Calories), but when cholesterol tests were first becoming common and doctors started drawing conclusions, they were telling patients in Japan to try to keep their cholesterol UP because people with higher cholesterol had less cancer.

Cholesterol is like a band-aid for inflammation. Imagine you have a mean cat that scratches you all the time. You go to the doctor and he says, "Oh my goodness! Look at all the band-aids. People who have band-aids on have a higher incidence of infections. We have to get your number of band-aids down. Stop buying them and stop putting them on. Here is a special lotion to remove the band-aids you have." No mention of the scratches or the cat that caused them.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won!
12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
I would NEVER take statin drugs. EVER.
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
lots of good information in this thread! Thanks, all.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

Back to cholesterol..... I forget where I read it (probably Good Calories, Bad Calories), but when cholesterol tests were first becoming common and doctors started drawing conclusions, they were telling patients in Japan to try to keep their cholesterol UP because people with higher cholesterol had less cancer.

Cholesterol is like a band-aid for inflammation. Imagine you have a mean cat that scratches you all the time. You go to the doctor and he says, "Oh my goodness! Look at all the band-aids. People who have band-aids on have a higher incidence of infections. We have to get your number of band-aids down. Stop buying them and stop putting them on. Here is a special lotion to remove the band-aids you have." No mention of the scratches or the cat that caused them.
Great analogy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the responses - very informative!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ValR
Stats: 178/153/140
This is slightly off topic but congratulations on your 20 pound weight loss.
ValR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
We have had two deaths in our family from heart disease. One was DH Dad who was in his sixties and the other a nephew who was thirty five. Both had normal cholesterol levels. DH Dad was a little overweight but not much. His nephew was skinny. When DH had the stents put in, thank God before the heart attack, his cholesterol was normal. Heart disease runs in their family and the ones I know their medical history, all have normal cholesterol. That's just for what it's worth info.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
My total cholesterol, after 8 years on LC, is 260 - which would send MOST MDs scurrying for their prescription pad! BUT my doc does her homework and she knows to pay attention to the right stuff. My ratios are low end of normal and for somebody about to turn 58, that's nothing to sneeze at! Also my BP runs about 101/60, my resting pulse is usually 55 to 60 - she says my heart will probably beat forever!

I would also NEVER consider taking a statin. They tried to put DH on one and I put my foot down. The risks FAR outweigh any benefits except, as previously mentioned, for middle-aged men who have already suffered a heart attack. And I even question THAT.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Your numbers are great. Women with high LDL who also have high HDL and low triglycerides are MUCH more likely to have light, fluffy, pattern A LDL--which presents no risk. LDL is a pretty meaningless number, since it's calculated (not measured directly), and because LDL comes in all sorts of different types. Some are good for you, some might be bad, and a lot are meaningless. So if your doctor keeps insisting on statins, insist on a VAP test first, which will measure your LDL types directly and tell you if you have the dense small particles (which aren't good), or the light fluffy particles.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
I agree with those who would never, ever consider taking a statin drug. Read Taubes, Ravnskov, Graveline, Kendrick, and others for reasons why. Your doctor is not your parent or your boss. S/he is your employee.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
Your numbers aren't that bad. HDL cancels out the bad effects of LDL. That your HDL went up more than your LDL is a good sign, plus your Triglycerides are really low. I wouldn't worry about it and I wouldn't even think of taking a statin with your ratio and numbers. Part of the reason that I wouldn't consider it is that statins can lower your HDL as well as the bad stuff...why risk messing with your ratios if you don't really need to?
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #23

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOhNine View Post
I agree with those who would never, ever consider taking a statin drug. Read Taubes, Ravnskov, Graveline, Kendrick, and others for reasons why. Your doctor is not your parent or your boss. S/he is your employee.
Well said! If I can piggyback on this, I think it is a mixture of medical ignorance and influence/incentives from the pharmaceutical companies that have made statins so prevalent.

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » You Bet Your Life: An Epilogue to the Cholesterol Story

We are waaaaay overmedicated already
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasintrail View Post
Why are you upset? Those are fantastic! Your HDL is good and your Tri's are low. So you most likely have large fluffy LDL, it's a good thing. If your doctor is an idgit, insist on a VAP test and throw away the statin script.

GME is right, there is no evidence that "high" cholesterol is an issue in women (or the majority of men for that matter). In fact, one study seems to show that "high" TC is protective in elderly women. Did you know that up until a few years ago normal TC was 240? Or that low TC (below 170) is associated with increased risk of cancer, strokes, depression, and suicide? Or that half the people with heart disease have normal or low TC?

Pick up a copy of Fat and Cholesterol are Good for You, or The Cholesterol Con. Educate yourself of the science and don't let your doctor talk you into a drug that will be useless at best and probably harmful.

This. Your numbers are awesome. Triglycerides and HDL are the only numbers you should be concerned about!

Check this Dr.'s videos.

Carlson. Part 7 of..." target="_blank">&#x202a;Ultimate Wellness with Dr. James Carlson. Part 7 of...

There are 8 or 9 parts but well worth your time, IMHO!
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Love it!!!!
I love analogies in general...this is a great one!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
Your numbers don't warrant the tremendous negative side effects of statins, IMO.
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote