Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AR-photog
Low blood pressure

I started LCing diligently about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and my blood pressure has dropped quite a bit. I constantly feel lightheaded and exhausted.

My previous normal was 125/65 - now I'm running about 105/60 during the day and I mostly function OK, but in the late afternoon evening it seems to drop further to 90-100/55-60 - and I feel terrible (dizzy, fatigued, etc.).

I have upped my water significantly, dropped diet soda completely, upped my salt, and in addition to taking potassium and magnesium supplements I've been drinking some PowerAid Zero to try to replenish my electrolytes.

Although these measure seem to help a little - I don't feel near as yucky as I did about a week ago - it still hasn't resolved itself. BTW, I did not feel this way the first week, so this has been going on for a week and a half.

I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have.

BTW, I've lost 18lbs, yay, and this is not my first time LCing but I've never felt like this before.
AR-photog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Wow. You have lost 18 1/2 lbs.in 2.5 weeks? What are your weight stats? What do you eat/what LC diet plan are you following? Do you take BP meds, and are you being followed by a doctor? You shouldn't feel dizzy, fatiqued and have measured low BP simply from LC eating.

A week and a half of these symptoms sounds like it might be time to see a doctor. Maybe other's can log in about LC triggering symptoms of an underlying or pre-existing thyroid situation? Not sure. But a week and a half might be time to get some profesisonal medical advise. Low BP is nothing to play with...Best of luck

Last edited by Juliemb414; 07-12-2011 at 09:28 PM..
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jonahsafta
Stats: 165/157.8/153
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: orig. 1995 @248#
I have had low blood pressure forever..normal is 90 over 60..high is 110 over 90.....I keep my water intake high along with sodium ......please talk to your doctor..
Jonahsafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jonahsafta
Stats: 165/157.8/153
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: orig. 1995 @248#
I forgot to mention I take a pottasium suppliment daily
Jonahsafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Are you using Stevia or products with Stevia in it??? It says right on the box that it can lower blood pressure and is not good for ppl w/low blood pressure to use frequently.

I try to limit my intake bc I already have low bp and I can get pretty dizzy around 3-5pm as well. Now I take a snack at 3pm tho I'm not sure it helps bc it's not low blood sugar...but I want to do *something*, LOL.

Good luck,

Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Make sure you are discussing this with your doctor.. No one here can know if there is some kind of medical problem you are having.. I would let the doctor know what you are eating and make sure they advise you on what you need to be doing and that they keep an eye on your blood pressure for you.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hagrid's Dad
Stats: 290ish/197/185 (5' 10", 41 y.o.)
WOE: Primal/Atkins (dairy, but no sweeteners)
Start Date: June 23rd, 2011.
Don't potassium and magnesium supplements *lower* blood pressure? (Not sure if that's proven, but that's the usual claim...)

If your blood pressure is lower than you'd like, and you think it's causing other problems like the dizziness, you might try a few days without the potassium (and/or magnesium) and see what happens...
Hagrid's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I normally have low pressure ...ketosis caused my blood pressure to drop ( I am guessing the diuretic effect). Are you doing ATKINS? As much as I think induction is a VERY important part of this process , vlc doesn't work as well for my health nor weight loss.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Make sure you are discussing this with your doctor.. No one here can know if there is some kind of medical problem you are having.. I would let the doctor know what you are eating and make sure they advise you on what you need to be doing and that they keep an eye on your blood pressure for you.
^^^This!! Hopefully it is a simple little change - good luck!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all for your input.

I went to the doc today and he said that 95% of the time when people come in with symptoms that I described it is because they are dehydrated. He said when you are dehydrated it causes your blood volume to decrease and that causes your blood pressure to be lower.

I suspected that because I'm sure a lot of my initial loss has been water, but apparently my measures just weren't enough. I am going to increase my water intake further. Gulp. Gulp.

I'm going to try to answer everyone's questions.

I just started using truvia, so I suppose it's possible that it plays a roll. I'll keep an eye on it.

I don't know if potass. and magnes. lower blood pressure. I took them after reading Dr Eades guide to restarting low carb.
My starting wt was 330, at 310 today. I'm not doing atkins I'm doing a protein Power style induction (<10 grams a meal, <30 grams a day).

Thanks again for all your input.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

wow, I also tried to say that I have cut out all (as much as possible) chemicals, trans fats, and processed junk from my diet. I guess it got eradicated from my message because I linked to the nutritionists blog where I got my info so that you could better understand my eating plan.

Also, just to get the questions answered - I have never taken blood pressure meds or had trouble with bp before.

BTW, does anyone know of a low carb forum where you don't get treated like riff raff just because you are new to posting, lol.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-photog View Post
wow, I also tried to say that I have cut out all (as much as possible) chemicals, trans fats, and processed junk from my diet. I guess it got eradicated from my message because I linked to the nutritionists blog where I got my info so that you could better understand my eating plan.

Also, just to get the questions answered - I have never taken blood pressure meds or had trouble with bp before.

BTW, does anyone know of a low carb forum where you don't get treated like riff raff just because you are new to posting, lol.

AWWW DON'T Feel that way...I thought you got a lot of info and concern. Congrats on the fantastic weight loss
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:

You must be referring to another Low Carb Forum...cos this is the nicest one out there! hugs Jo x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
This may be relevent or not. Last year my DH ended up in ER with dehydration. You could have knocked me over with a feather at that one! I was really shocked. They then told him to drink a minimum of 64 to 80 oz. a day of water. Now, I know lots of people drink more than that, but that's just a base amount evidently.

What happened? He was in for a surgery follow-up appointment 10 days later. At one point, every time he tried to stand up, he got real dizzy and had to sit back down. They ended up wheeling him to ER and spending about 5 hours there while he was given 3 of those bags of fluids.

Last edited by watcher513; 07-13-2011 at 04:50 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandalouslyglam View Post
AWWW DON'T Feel that way...I thought you got a lot of info and concern. Congrats on the fantastic weight loss
I agree, I did get a lot great info and help - and I really appreciate it.

My comment was mostly joking, but directed at the mods removing half of my post. I linked to Dr Eades post about restarting low carb and it was taken out even though someone else linked to it just a week or so ago. I felt a bit singled out and the only reason I can think of is that I'm new to posting. There was nothing inappropriate about anything that got removed.

But no worries, even as a lurker I have gotten a ton of support from this place. I know how great it is!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
This may be relevent or not. Last year my DH ended up in ER with dehydration. You could have knocked me over with a feather at that one! I was really shocked. They then told him to drink a minimum of 64 to 80 oz. a day of water. Now, I know lots of people drink more than that, but that's just a base amount evidently.

What happened? He was in for a surgery follow-up appointment 10 days later. At one point, every time he tried to stand up, he got real dizzy and had to sit back down. They ended up wheeling him to ER and spending about 5 hours there while he was given 3 of those bags of fluids.
Wow, that sounds really scary. I prefer my fluids out of a cup, now that I know what's going on I'm going to try everything I can to avoid the same fate.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Wow, that sounds really scary. I prefer my fluids out of a cup, now that I know what's going on I'm going to try everything I can to avoid the same fate.
Yeah, it really was scary because we didn't know what the heck was going on at first. I was like...he's DEHYDRATED???!!!! I couldn't believe it.

re your previous post, I think that's happened to all of us at some time or another here. Just don't post a link to something. Say.....go look up "X" out on the net, and people will do that. Don't take it personal, seriously.

Welcome, this is a great place!

Last edited by watcher513; 07-13-2011 at 07:03 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote