Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lovelymc72
WOE: low carb
fried chicken

does anyone ever eat fried chicken. like kfc or that popeyes brand. Do you skin it or eat it as is, of course without the bisquit or fries or anything like that. I ask because on saturday i had a leg and wing from popeyes and it was soo good. i did have half of a small coleslaw, but it was way too rich, so i could not eat it. it did not taste sweet or anything like that, but the mayo level as up there. i dried the chicken off with a napkin, not too greasy like I thought it would be, but oh man was it good. I am pretty sure that constitutes as a cheat.
lovelymc72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
Yup. But a small one. I wouldn't get too excited over it as long as you don't do it every day.
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I never do because of all the extra stuff they add (especially msg) and the extra carbs. I like to roast my own chickens.

The leg and wing have 370 cals and 13 carbs combined, and the coleslaw has 19 carbs ( so you had 10). The whole meal would be 23 carbs and around 450 cals.

So it depends on what else you had that day and how it fits into your overall plan. It wouldn't be a cheat if you are okay with fast food and are okay with 23 carbs for a meal.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut View Post
Yup. But a small one. I wouldn't get too excited over it as long as you don't do it every day.
I agree with this. We have Popeye's every Tuesday with the .99 for 2 pieces. I remove the skin because of the breading and I try and remove as much of the breading that may still be on there.

I then fix my husband fries and I have a veggie of some type. It doesn't affect my blood sugar so I'm happy.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
when it comes to chicken basics: i make my own!!!

easy as PI. tastes better & even with the pork rind breading(which is my only source of Na in breaded critter), still less sodium than the commercial chickens. Popeye does make a better bird than the Colonel, btw (no slur on the American south). Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nicole714
Stats: 18/12/8
WOE: lowcarb
When I am craving fried chicken I will usually pound out a boneless chicken breast or thigh really thin coat it in egg and parmesan (and whatever spices you like) then fry in oil til crispy paired up with lc slaw I don't miss the fast food stuff one bit!
nicole714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
Guilty. I *love* Popeye's. I don't always eat the skin with breading, but maybe half the time I do. It's the BEST part!! I usually have it with a salad or green beans. Sometimes I'll have a little nibble of the red beans & rice, but then I don't eat the breading on the chicken. Basically, I aim for being 90% good when I eat out someplace that's not really lc friendly.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
Once every few weeks I'll have a couple of original recipe thighs from KFC. No slaw, biscuits, etc. As long as I don't eat it too frequently, and only on days where my other meals were vlc, it hasn't been a problem. I hate to cook and there's no way I'm going through the hassle of frying chicken for 2 pieces of bird. I don't even think I have any oil in the house!
Crazy Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoJo404
WOE: PP
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
Popeye does make a better bird than the Colonel, btw (no slur on the American south). Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Speaking for the entire American South I'd say "no problem." Louisiana is still the South.
JoJo404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Debo
Stats: 307/296/180
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/6/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole714 View Post
When I am craving fried chicken I will usually pound out a boneless chicken breast or thigh really thin coat it in egg and parmesan (and whatever spices you like) then fry in oil til crispy paired up with lc slaw I don't miss the fast food stuff one bit!
Sounds so good better than the colonel's
Debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo404 View Post
Speaking for the entire American South I'd say "no problem." Louisiana is still the South.
Yup, and a heck of a lot further south than Kentucky.
I used to really like KFC, but I just can't stomach it anymore for some reason.

Last edited by shortcut; 07-12-2011 at 02:35 PM..
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I will eat it very rarely (although I will admit yesterday was one of those days!). When I do I don't deny myself all of the breading, but I also don't purposely go for the really bready pieces, either. I'd say as long as its only once in a while and not too much it hardly qualifies as a cheat. Now, the honey BBQ wings - which I love? Now THAT'S another story!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
our local bar fries chicken (or more accurately...they "broast" chicken...guess it's a special cooker that broils/roasts?) Whatever it is, I love, love, love that chicken. They do dredge it lightly in flour & sprinkle with salt/pepper but the end result is very crispy golden brown skin...with no obvious breading mush like KFC original, and not too spicy for my wimpy tastes.

I'm sure there's a few carbs in that skin, but so far I can eat 2-3 pieces without going out of ketosis or getting weight gain after eating it, so we get it once a week when we don't want to cook.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VivaaLaCarlos
Stats: 235/163/150-140ish
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: June 2011
i use to eat the chicken strips a lot! from any fastfood place. however i dont anymore because after i ran chicken strips through my ****** profile i realized they are loaded with carbs which i had no idea so i just cut them out. i will stick to plain burgers with no bread when i eat fast food...
VivaaLaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole714 View Post
hey can you give me more details on this please!! its sounds great and i love eggs
Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaaLaCarlos View Post
hey can you give me more details on this please!! its sounds great and i love eggs
okay so i tried this and it was sooooooo good! best fried chicken ever. considering i dont even care for fried chicken..

thank for the idea hun
Old 07-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
I will eat it rarely. When my family gets together once every couple months my stepmom always gets a huge amount of fried chicken and potat wedges. She always gets me a salad since they all knowhow I eat and I will eat a chicken breast. I do eat the wonderful crispy skin. Its soooo good and I don't do it often.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Last night I had a extra crispy thigh. It was really yummy. Then I went downstairs and wrote my foods for the day in my journal, and looked up the nutrition info. 10 carbs - Not worth it after that!!
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charcutier
Stats: 325/264.75/165
WOE: Atkins '72 Induction
Start Date: 1/1/11, Restart 8/27/12
One of the appliances I don't want to live without is my indoor turkey fryer - I have yet to put a turkey in it (it'd have to be a SMALL turkey!) but I fry a whole chicken every week. Just dry it and fry it - no seasoning, nothing. Yummous!
Charcutier is offline   Reply With Quote