Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
Flying and water retention

I have an overseas flight coming up next week and will be on the plane 14 hours in total for two legs. I'm a horrible water retainer on flights and what's worse is that I absolutely abhor plane toilets--and next to that are the public toilets at the airports.

So, I normally try my best NOT to use them. I have actually gone on flights lasting more than 7 hours without peeing and I know that's not only NOT comfortable--it's not good for me.

So, does anyone have any help for this problem of retaining water without telling me to drink tons of fluid--and therefore, visit the toilet on an hourly basis? I mean--it takes me a week afterwards to get rid of the swollen fingers and ankles and while I've lost 25 lbs since my last flight and the seat will be larger , the fact is that the swelling just makes me miserable!

I still haven't figured out why my body reacts in such a way--when DH travels, it's like he comes out from a shower--fresh and not a swollen place on his body.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I might add that I will be taking my own LC food and I don't plan to eat anything except for cheese, if needed.
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tiggy_oz
Stats: 330/249/190 5'10"
WOE: LCHF + IF
Start Date: 1 Nov 2010 (+4 months off & 20lb regain)
I am the same, and any flight from here to well.. just about anywhere else is a LONG darned flight!

I now swear by the compression socks you can get at your drugstore. Made a MASSIVE difference to my feet. Normally they swell so much they hurt and feel gross. Wearing those stocking things, no swelling, normal feet.

When I land I also take a herbal diuretic for a few days (think mine is juniper, celery seed and some other stuff in it). Works well.

Have a good trip!
tiggy_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

hmmm, never thought of the socks. Okay, I'll check them out. Okay--that's for the ankles--wonder if I can wear them on my hands.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thefat1
my daughter wears compression stockings made especially for long flights and swears by them.

Raise your arms over your head and gently shake your hands several times during the flight. If you can get an aisle seat, walk up the aisle and back once or twice.

Unless you have a health problem, restrict liquids and especially caffiene the day you fly. You can start rehydrating as soon as you land.

You may find that you don't have as much of a problem now. Congratulations on your weight loss so far.
thefat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
I simply refuse to fly anywhere any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: squeakie
Stats: 126/112/110 (5'1")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: on and off since 2000. latest restart june 19 2011
thanks for starting this thread. I'll have to check out the socks too because I always end up with horribly swollen feet and ankles after a long haul flight!
squeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Limit your salt for a few days before you fly, and especially the day you fly. Pay attention to those snacks - even some cheese (maybe all) has sodium and some is worse than others.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snickygirl
WOE: Atkins
I don't know if they make compression gloves for swelling, but I have these gloves made of lycra that I got from the craft store. They are tight fitting and they are for people whose hands get tired / sore when doing crafts, needlepoint, working on the computer etc.

They are soft and tight around the fingers. They feel so good on, and may help with your finger swelling. They are called Creative Comfort from Dritz.com, or any sewing / craft store like Joanns will probably have them (that's where I got mine).

Have a good trip.

Last edited by Snickygirl; 07-06-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Snickygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizi View Post
I simply refuse to fly anywhere any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I had that option. I'm totally sick of the way the airlines are handling things. I mean they are all doing the 1 suitcase thing overseas--most suitcases take up 1/3 of that allowed amount and I'm so ticked. Guess I'l have to start leaving my underwear at home. What they don't realize is that the more they limit the check-in, the more problems and larger lines they have with carry-on because people are trying to stuff their stuff in their hand bags. I'm still mad at the way they sandwich people in and the day they start charging for the toilet--I'll probably pee on the floor End of rant!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Wear loose-fitting, comfortable shoes that you can slide off easily. Try to get up and move around a bit if you can. Barring that, take off the shoes, and while seated, wiggle your toes, stretch your feet straight out, then point your toes as far towards your knees as you can, repeat. You want to keep stuff moving, it's the liquids that settle and accumulate in your extremities due to not moving that hurt!

Try not to wear any restrictive clothing either, like tight jeans that squeeze you in at the thighs or waist.

Get one of those little rubber hand thingies that you can squeeze and release - they fit in a purse or pocket easily. Squeeze that with one hand, then the other, frequently.

My doctor also recommended taking an aspirin before boarding, to avoid clots, but I can't recommend that for you cuz I'm not your doctor!

When you get off the flight, pop open a big bottle of mineral water and drink it on down!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lisaerinqt04
Stats: 22/8/4 (-98lbs!)(5'4" & 153lbs) Measures 38-26-39
WOE: '72/Gluten Free
Start Date: 1/1/2010 - "Don't Look Back"
I've never heard of this but I'm glad you posted. I'm going to australia in august for two weeks, and it will be my first overseas flight since I was a child so I am not sure of what to expect...I'm taking notes here!
lisaerinqt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Honestly, you might want to choose between your bathroom aversion, mode of transportation or water retention. purposely dehydrating yourself will cause you to retain more water.

Fourteen hours is a long flight. Flying dehydrates you which is why it is suggested that you drink more water. There are a bunch of other reasons why you should stay hydrated on a flight.

Restricting your sodium and coffee is a good idea as they too are diuretics.

DH is a corporate pilot. Hydration is key. See your doctor about your issues..there are lots of compression socks that you can get without prescriptions these days, though you might want to check out medical supply stores. There are some prescription socks meant to prevent DVT.

NOW as far as your bathroom issue for the future....Not sure what your issue is...cleanliness? Size or sound ? Waiting? A lot of people are fearful of plane bathrooms.

I suggest flying first class. For real. For people who have a hard time or anxiety about the flying "process" , First Class alievates many of these issues. For a small fee you can get into a variety of the airlines premier type clubs (usually get a credit card through the airline).
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I totally disagree with flying dehydrated. This can increase your chance of blood clots and possibly fatal pulmonary edema like the reporter David Bloom suffered. Get up and move around as much as possible, stay hyrdrated and get over your fear of the bathroom.

Last edited by lisabinil; 07-06-2011 at 02:18 PM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks again to everyone who gave tips. Don't worry--I don't totally dehydrate myself--I still drink liquids--I just don't overdrink them. And I also don't have a fear of the toilets--I have an intense, disgusting hatred of them.

Lisaeringt04, your pictures blew me away--and like me you also started at a size 22. I'm hope I look that great once I get to goal!