Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
Favorite Frozen Treats to Buy

Have you tried any of the Skinny Cow, Weight Watchers, or other brand low calorie/low sugar frozen treats out there? I like the Edy Whole Fruit Bars (mango- yum). If I really want something worthwhile, what do you suggest? We have a toddler so I'd like to have a little treat here and there for him/us.
A friend told me she freezes SF pudding cups. Has anyone tried that?
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Would love to try some of those, especially in the summer! But last time I looked, they were all way to high carb for me - I have to stay very LC to continue losing.

I sure wish someone would come out with real low carb frozen treats!

But then I'd no doubt just over-eat them so it's probably good they don't have them.
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
The last time I looked at the Skinny COw products (years ago my kids wanted some from Costco) the ingredients were pretty

I LC for PCOS as well (noticed your comment under avatar). We buy these from time to time (coconut milk based, and sweetened w/ chicory and erythritol. Contain glycerine IIRC. My local WFs is carrying them right now. The vanilla ice cream, the chocolate dipped bars, and the fudge bars are all good. I wasn't as wild about the mint ice cream as it didn't play as nicely with the coconut milk IMO).

Turtle Mountain - So Delicious&reg made with Coconut Milk - Bar - Vanilla Bar (No Sugar Added)

Turtle Mountain - So Delicious&reg made with Coconut Milk - Bar - Fudge Bar (No Sugar Added)

Turtle Mountain - So Delicious&reg made with Coconut Milk - Pint - Vanilla Bean (No Sugar Added)

Disclaimer: I don't LC for weight loss. We eat this way because I have PCOS, so this fits in with my WOE. Not everyone can lose with the glycerine, etc. from what I've read. But for us, it is nice to have something on hand...we bring ours along if we take our kids out for ice cream from time to time.

I also freeze LC smoothies into popsicle molds for our family. Lauren at Healthy Indulgences (can google, I can't link to her per the rules here) has a "frosty" recipe made with ricotta that is awesome (high cal IIRC so YMMV). I've also frozen that mix into popsicle molds. She has a few ice cream recipes on her site too. I've also frozen erythritol sweetened fruity teas into popscicle molds (nice and low cal too). Cherry Berry, etc. Frozen berries with whipped cream or a little coconut milk drizzled over (sort of forms a glaze) are also favorites here in the heat.

Last edited by brittone2; 06-09-2011 at 11:06 AM..
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Wonderful, thank you!!!! I mainly LC for my PCOS symptoms as well- but b/c of my thyroid being wacky I have weight issues so the woe works for everything! I think I have seen this brand in the "healthy" section of my grocery store where they have gluten free frozen treats too. I hadn't thought to look there!!! Thx!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaG View Post
Wonderful, thank you!!!! I mainly LC for my PCOS symptoms as well- but b/c of my thyroid being wacky I have weight issues so the woe works for everything! I think I have seen this brand in the "healthy" section of my grocery store where they have gluten free frozen treats too. I hadn't thought to look there!!! Thx!
IME the low carb (erythritol sweetened) versions are tough to find. Just so you are aware. I see the same company's *agave* sweetened products at my local grocery but they are not yet carrying the erythritol-sweetened products ( am going to request that they do). WFs is the only place I've seen the low carb version (erythritol/chicory vs. agave sweetened). Just make sure you are getting the erythritol sweetened one if that's what fits your WOE. The agave versions they sell aren't low carb.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
I think our Whole Foods is the only one that carries the lower-carb version of the coconut ice cream too. Haven't tried it yet.

The skinny cow treats are delish and my toddler loves them too...but they are of course pretty junky - but no shocker there.

do you have any glucomannan? I make a very simple gluc pudding out of unsweetened chocolate almond milk, stevia, unsweetened cocoa powder and gluc powder. Whirl it all up in my Ninja and voila! pudding! I stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes and I don't think it has enough fat to make it really like ice cream.

But I'm pretty sure you could search around this site and there are recipes for ice cream and super easy frozen treats that would use lc friendly ingredients.

Maybe even whirl up HWC, frozen strawberries and your sweetner? sounds pretty good right about now!

First goal of 124 made 04/14/11
mrsitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
I occasionally toss my Kroger Carbmaster yogurt in the freezer for a little while before I eat it....
livinlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaG View Post
Have you tried any of the Skinny Cow, Weight Watchers, or other brand low calorie/low sugar frozen treats out there? I like the Edy Whole Fruit Bars (mango- yum). If I really want something worthwhile, what do you suggest? We have a toddler so I'd like to have a little treat here and there for him/us.
A friend told me she freezes SF pudding cups. Has anyone tried that?
I looked at Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers and I wouldn't want to put those ingredients in myself. You can find real fruit bars that would be good. Or you could blend up some fruits and freeze it in dixie cups or something. Then you would know what you have.

When my children were small, I mixed yogurt and orange juice concentrate and froze it in popsickle cups. The whole neighborhood loved them. I wouldn't give artificial sweeteners to toddlers, but that might just be me.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I really like the Turtle Mountain products, my favorite are the fudge bars.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I think it depends on what kind of sweeteners you feel comfortable giving your child.
Fruit juice concentrate, sugar alcohols, stevia, artificial sweeteners?
There's also the issue of artificial colors!

Overall it's probably safer to make them yourself!
Making smoothies sweetened only with real fruit (no juice), and a yogurt, milk, or nut milk of some kind is the lowest-carb, most natural thing I can think of.

Also, Celestial Seasonings has some yummy fruity herbal teas like blueberry, raspberry, tangerine;
you can make a very strong tea & blend in some real fruit or fruit juice to sweeten for a popsicle.

If you don't mind artificial sweeteners & colors:

I use Kool-Aid made with less water + Splenda to make popsicles.
I've seen recipes for less-drippy popsicles using Jell-O.
You can also get creative with DaVinci syrups...
Have fun!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Popsicle has sugar free popscicles... 4 carbs...2 from sugar alcohol. That leaves 2 net....they are pretty good
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
I get Edy's whole fruit bars sweetened with Splenda or Breyer's Carbsmart bars. Both of those are good, don't spike my blood sugar and don't have too many objectionable ingredients.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

It would also be pretty easy to get popsicle bars on Amazon or where ever and make your own with whatever you want! I might do that when I get tired of Carbsmart bars.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
You could make your own with sugar free Kool-aid and your sweetener of choice.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

So many good ideas! This new mom stuff is hard! I need to get some popsicle molds, ha ha!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
You can find the molds almost anywhere. Wal~mart, dollar stores. You could also find some container at home that might work and just stick a wooden popsicle stick in them when they are 1/2 frozen. Try lots of different flavors. My girls use 100% fruit juice. They LOVE orange flavor.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glimmergirl
Growing up we always froze kool-aid in a cup with a metal spoon. They were never straight up and down like a popsicle stick but it worked anyway! I think you could do that with SF Kool-aid with no problem.
Glimmergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Mainly I just mix frozen strawberries with hwc and a bit of splenda. Sometimes I shave a square of Lindt dark chocolate and mix it it. Or I melt the square with a bit of CO and stir it in - turns to a hard crack coating when it hits the cold stuff. I use my stick blender and mix it in a mug so only a serving at a time.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
Mainly I just mix frozen strawberries with hwc and a bit of splenda. Sometimes I shave a square of Lindt dark chocolate and mix it it. Or I melt the square with a bit of CO and stir it in - turns to a hard crack coating when it hits the cold stuff. I use my stick blender and mix it in a mug so only a serving at a time.

Oh MAN does that sound good! And I have all of the ingredients RIGHT NOW!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlarge View Post
I occasionally toss my Kroger Carbmaster yogurt in the freezer for a little while before I eat it....
Why haven't I thought of this? duh! I like the strawberry.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jonahsafta
Stats: 165/157.8/153
Start Date: orig. 1995 @248#
Im so sorry to say..that all that frozen sweet stuff....causes me a craving that lasts too long for me to justify..maybe Im the exception
Jonahsafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: awinterbaby
Stats: 300/193/130
Start Date: March 2011
for me I will buy the breyers carbsmart ice cream bars for an occasional treat. I believe it has only 5 net carbs each. But for the kids I will take yogurt cups, pop in a popsicle stick and then freeze them. The kids love them, even my 15 yr old likes them.
awinterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I like frozen yogurt, not so much the unfrozen stuff. Maybe I ought to try freezing them!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
This what I do. I buy Powerade Zero and make popscicles.It is yummy, the Grape is so good. No calories or carbs.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
My DH Love, Love, LOVES iced coffee, so I bought some molds at walmart (I had long ago gotten rid of my Tupperware molds that I had when my kids were little.....wishing I had them back now ) and mixed up his coffee, with 1/2 and 1/2, and liquid Splenda, and put it in the molds.....He LOVED it! Then I did the same with Greek Yogurt, Liquid Splenda and Crystal Light powder......again a hit! So far my favorite is the Greek Yogurt mixed with the orange Crystal light!
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miss Rae
Stats: Size-20/14/8
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: Re-start April 2011
If you have an Aldi near you they have their own sugar free popcicles. The carb count is nominal. I looked it up online and someone wrote that they have 0 carbs but I think now the packaging says 1 or 2. I haven't had them in awhile but when I did they reminded me of the popcicles of my youth. The same normal shape, they were really wonderful and being from Aldi, they were very inexpensive!
Miss Rae is offline   Reply With Quote