LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
Sugar free Jello?

aspartame? really??....this was gonna be a low cal little nosh for me as dessert..ugh!!
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobMan
Stats: 429/299.5/287
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 3, 2008 2nd time around 6/3/2014
As far as AS goes, to each their own. We have had a lot of conversation here about it and other sweeteners. I buy the 6 pack of ind SF gelations and have at least a serving or two every week. Have for the last couple of years. Just saying....
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hi, this article is interesting regarding aspartame:

"Taste Receptors Where?!
© by D. Eric Walters

We all know about taste buds on the tongue. But recently scientists have discovered taste receptors in an unexpected location: the lining of the small intestine.
Yes, sweet taste receptors have been found on intestinal epithelial cells. Fortunately, they aren't connected to our sense of taste. They are sensing the contents of the digestive system, in order to control and assist in the absorption process.

Glucose is absorbed in the intestine by a transporter called SGLT1. But when the sweet receptors in the intestine sense a high level of sweetness, they trigger the movement of a second transporter, GLUT2, to the cell surface. This doubles or triples the rate of sugar absorption [1]. The effect is seen with sugar and with the high potency sweeteners sucralose and acesulfame-K. In earlier times, when calories were scarce, this mechanism undoubtedly increased the efficiency of the digestive system. It made sure that sugar absorption was maximized. But now, when we have excessive calories available in our diet, it may contribute to obesity.

Think about the stereotypical "dieter" who has a diet soft drink with the french fries. The starch in the fries is broken down to glucose, and the artificial sweetener increases the supply of transporters, so that the glucose is more efficiently moved into the body!

There is another problem that arises with overconsumption of sweets. In experiments with mice, Margolskee and his colleagues showed that a diet high in carbohydrates will, over time, double the amount of the SGLT1 transporter that is present in the intestinal cells [2]. The artificial sweeteners acesulfame-K and saccharin also increased SGLT1 levels, suggesting that the taste receptors control the amount of transporter. Aspartame did not do this, but rodents cannot taste aspartame. Besides, aspartame is rapidly digested, so it would probably not affect glucose absorption, even in humans.

References
[1] Mace et al., J. Physiology (London) 582:379, 2007.
[2] Margolskee et al., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:15075, 2007."

All About Sweeteners[

A plus for aspartame? ;-)

locarbman ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #4

Gallery: FatCat
Start Date: Oct. '99
One thing you could do, is make your own SF jello. You can buy unflavored gelitin (Knox brand is most common), add unsweetened Kool-Aide and Splenda.
FatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
You can buy SF Jello made from Splenda. I believe netrition has it. I always use the one made with Aspartame. We check DH who is a diabetic after he eats any lc treat. It makes no difference at all in his blood sugar. He has dropped all insulin and pills, so that is the only time we test him now. No difference, whether we use Splenda or Equal. This is just our experience. Your's may be different.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Aspartame has some undesirable neurological effects on some folks-if I ingest it on a daily basis it worsens my migraines. Once in awhile I have a Diet Dr. Pepper with no ill effects but this isn't everyday for me.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
Just looked at mine and it says it's sweetened with malitol. Is that aspartame? I'm not big on jello so I don't even eat it weekly
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
malitol is a sugar alcohol. i thought jello was jello....are there many different brands...?? i only saw one...but they are prepacked in cups and cold.
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, sorry for all the questions. The ones I have came from the Jello and pudding isle, not cold. They are Hunt's Snack Pack Juicy Gels. I think they were a dollar and come in 4 little cups.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
I buy the ones at walmart that have 12 in the package and I have 1 just about every night and they don't bother me at all. I think they are aspartame but I also have a crystal lite packet every day and sometimes drink diet soda. it just depends on the person. I cannot do maltitol but don't have a problem with aspartame, saccharin or splenda.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heheher View Post
Thanks, sorry for all the questions. The ones I have came from the Jello and pudding isle, not cold. They are Hunt's Snack Pack Juicy Gels. I think they were a dollar and come in 4 little cups.
A lot of people (me included) have a lot of digestive problems like gas and such from maltitol. I'm a diabetic and it also causes my blood sugar to rise. If you do eat these, I'd suggest only 1 and see how it affects you.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 266/266/168, 5'9", 27
Start Date: 19th May 2015
The sugar free jelly I buy contains aspartame but it's the only brand (that I know of) available in England. It comes in powder form and you just make it up yourself with equal parts hot and cold water.
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:12 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_Baby View Post
The sugar free jelly I buy contains aspartame but it's the only brand (that I know of) available in England. It comes in powder form and you just make it up yourself with equal parts hot and cold water.
Hi amber! I am in Newcastle, England. I have some of that jelly from before my starting lc. Have you used it in your lc woe? Are u ok with it?
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorpie View Post
malitol is a sugar alcohol. i thought jello was jello....are there many different brands...?? i only saw one...but they are prepacked in cups and cold.
Jello is a brand of flavored gelatin... like Heinz is a brand of ketchup.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #15

Gallery: flatferenghi
i gave up stressing about aspartame.

i consume some things that have splenda, and others that have aspertame, incl diet jello. i am making a multi-colored diet jello mold this weekend. I am already 60 years old, and quasi brain dead already, so the damage is done. Aspertame can do no more significant damage to me, in the time i have left. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:17 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 266/266/168, 5'9", 27
Start Date: 19th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
Hi amber! I am in Newcastle, England. I have some of that jelly from before my starting lc. Have you used it in your lc woe? Are u ok with it?
Hiya! Yeah I've used it with no problems whatsoever. I have the occasional Diet Coke too. I do try to be aware of aspartame and not eat/drink it too often but a bowlful of jelly or a can of Diet Coke 3 or 4 times a week has never given me any problems.
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I'll take the aspartame over maltitol any day. Actually I just wish I could get me some sugar free jello!! (impossible outside of the US). I have to make my own. Which is easier than you'd think, but just not as convenient.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
A lot of people (me included) have a lot of digestive problems like gas and such from maltitol. I'm a diabetic and it also causes my blood sugar to rise. If you do eat these, I'd suggest only 1 and see how it affects you.
I don't care too much for Jello. I think I've had 1 since I started LC in March. Lol
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #19

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
If you want "jello" without the aspartame, you can easily make it with unflavored gelatin and either Torani/DaVinci syrup or extract/essential oil and sweetener of choice.

Hi! I don't have a recipe per se, but I can give you a pretty good idea. if you are going to do this often it's worth going to a store that caters to restaurants to get a big cylinder of Knox gelatin about the size of regular salt. It's pretty expensive in those little packets! the packets contain about a tablespoon (though they are notorious for being inaccurately filled which is why serious chefs tend to use the bulk type as well)

a tablespoon of gelatin is enough to make 2 cups of "jello." you must soften the gelatin briefly in cold water before adding enough hot water to dissolve it, then the flavor and sweetening, then top up with cold water to make 2 cups. the most convenient thing is to use one of those glass measuring cups for the whole thing.

so start with about a quarter cup tap water. sprinkle in the gelatin and let it sit 5 min or so. probably stir it around a little bit to make sure it all gets wet. then add a cup of boiling water and stir till it's all dissolved.

for the flavoring and sweetening, I'm afraid I don't know exactly how much torani or davinci to add. I am guessing a quarter cup. use that much and add the rest of the water and taste it. if it's not strong enough or sweet enough, you can add more syrup or extra sweetener.

you can also use extracts or essential oils like orange plus a sweetener like ezsweetz. again, I don't know exactly how much to use, but it's perfectly safe to taste the stuff as you go so it's not hard to get it right. these things are actually pretty flexible, meaning they still taste pretty good either weaker or stronger within limits.

if you like you can substitute some heavy cream for some of the cold water at the end. it makes a nice variation. if you are using the cream, you might want the texture less firm, and you could add a bit more water.

none of these will be as brightly colored as jello is, so if that is important to your eaters you can bite the bullet and add food coloring.

I looked on here to see if I had put amounts in at any point (no) and found this too: 0-Carb Yummi Gummies: A Theme with Variations
Old 05-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #20

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
I don't care too much for Jello. I think I've had 1 since I started LC in March. Lol
you couldn't have paid me to eat it at one time... my mother in law used to make those dire "jello salads" with layers of who knows what in unnatural colors that made the whole family cower. LOL

but as one gets further along and needs to watch calories as well as carbs, it can start looking more appealing. you are just starting. you might change your mind in a year or two! just stay open to it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #21
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Quote:
Just looked at mine and it says it's sweetened with malitol.
All I have to do is look at that word MALTITOL and my system goes into "gastric distress"
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #22

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
i consume some things that have splenda, and others that have aspertame, incl diet jello. i am making a multi-colored diet jello mold this weekend. I am already 60 years old, and quasi brain dead already, so the damage is done. Aspertame can do no more significant damage to me, in the time i have left. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
Hi, this article is interesting regarding aspartame:

"Taste Receptors Where?!
© by D. Eric Walters

We all know about taste buds on the tongue. But recently scientists have discovered taste receptors in an unexpected location: the lining of the small intestine.
Yes, sweet taste receptors have been found on intestinal epithelial cells. Fortunately, they aren't connected to our sense of taste. They are sensing the contents of the digestive system, in order to control and assist in the absorption process.

Glucose is absorbed in the intestine by a transporter called SGLT1. But when the sweet receptors in the intestine sense a high level of sweetness, they trigger the movement of a second transporter, GLUT2, to the cell surface. This doubles or triples the rate of sugar absorption [1]. The effect is seen with sugar and with the high potency sweeteners sucralose and acesulfame-K. In earlier times, when calories were scarce, this mechanism undoubtedly increased the efficiency of the digestive system. It made sure that sugar absorption was maximized. But now, when we have excessive calories available in our diet, it may contribute to obesity.

Think about the stereotypical "dieter" who has a diet soft drink with the french fries. The starch in the fries is broken down to glucose, and the artificial sweetener increases the supply of transporters, so that the glucose is more efficiently moved into the body!

There is another problem that arises with overconsumption of sweets. In experiments with mice, Margolskee and his colleagues showed that a diet high in carbohydrates will, over time, double the amount of the SGLT1 transporter that is present in the intestinal cells [2]. The artificial sweeteners acesulfame-K and saccharin also increased SGLT1 levels, suggesting that the taste receptors control the amount of transporter. Aspartame did not do this, but rodents cannot taste aspartame. Besides, aspartame is rapidly digested, so it would probably not affect glucose absorption, even in humans.

References
[1] Mace et al., J. Physiology (London) 582:379, 2007.
[2] Margolskee et al., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:15075, 2007."

All About Sweeteners[

A plus for aspartame? ;-)

locarbman ;-)

Very interesting, thanks for the link.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote