LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Balance101
Stats: 207/197/140
WOE: hHcg
Start Date: 10/7/13
2 weeks of Induction - loss 3 lbs.

I'm very disappointed today, but I'm thinking that the only one to blame is myself. I don't count carbs, just eat no-carb and low-carb foods. I have had no sugar, bread, or fruit in two weeks, nor have I gone over 3 cups of veggies in a day. I though I was in ketosis because I have not had any cravings since about day 3.

I have eaten smoothies (made with unsweetened almond milk (1 net carb) and whey protein isolate 2 net carbs) and a small amount of greek yogurt. I don't eat eggs, so I found the protein shake necessary. Looking back, I could have done without the yogurt. I lost 3 lbs in the first 3 days and the scale just stopped. I should drink more water. I guess I probably drink 3-4 16 oz glasses a day. I haven't started to exercise yet, but I feel I should still have lost more. I mean if you compare the huge amounts of food that I used to eat, to what I have been eating, it really doesn't make sense.

I am 47 and believe I am in peri-menopause, so I know that slows things down a bit. And my pet iguana that I had for 15 years passed on Sunday and I haven't really eaten much at all since then. So I guess that could make the scale freeze.

The thing is, I hate counting. I hated WW for that reason. South Beach worked pretty well for me last year because I didn't have to count. I could eat milk, yogurt and V8 juice in Phase 1 legally. It's just that for some reason, I would rather do Atkins.

Wow, what an illiterate ramble! LoL. I don't think I'm asking for advice, because I know I need to count carbs and I haven't done that. I guess I just needed to vent. So thank you for reading this. Just feeling sorry for myself.
Balance101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
well, just right off the bat...though you don't want to, it's a good bet you're setting yourself up for failure by not actually counting the carbs you're eating. So if you want to give it a real shot, you might just try counting carbs for a week. And counting all of them. I suspect you're eating way too many to actually be in "induction." Three cups of veggies a day is too many for induction, for starters. And then add in all the misc. carbs from whey protein, yogurt, cheese, almond milk, any sweeteners you're using...You should have lost more, but if you're eating too many carbs it wont' work, period.

Just my 2 cents worth.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5

Last edited by catne; 05-25-2011 at 07:58 AM..
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MZOregon
Stats: 283/233/175/?
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 01/31/2011
I'm sorry about your pet iguana.....our pets provide us much love and comfort, and when they go on, it takes a little bit of time to get past that. East meat and eggs for a couple of days....with a little bit of veggies.... Don't have much counting to do there!
MZOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
You simply didn't follow Atkins Induction-yogurt isn't allowed the first 2 weeks you add it in at the soft cheeses rung of OWL. Try a clean Induction and just log your foods in a website like ****** or ********* and see how you do.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: InTheLight
Stats: 255/235/160 -- 5'7" tall
WOE: Low carb/cutting back
Start Date: Re-starting strong!! June 2014
to you on the loss of your baby iguana ...
InTheLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

catne: You're right. I know it. I should have stated that the 3 cups of veggies was 2 cups of salad veggies (if that) and 1 cup of others. And thank you, I need tough love.

MZOregon: Thank you. I am a mess over her loss. Your words help. I don't eat eggs, but maybe just meat and smoothies is an option.

lisabinil: ..Starting ****** today. I hate to count things, but I guess I can't cry if I don't try. LoL, that rhymes. Thanks for your input.

InTheLight: Every time I see your name, I sing the Led Zep song in my head. Love it! Thank you so much.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #7

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance101 View Post
catne: You're right. I know it. I should have stated that the 3 cups of veggies was 2 cups of salad veggies (if that) and 1 cup of others. And thank you, I need tough love.

MZOregon: Thank you. I am a mess over her loss. Your words help. I don't eat eggs, but maybe just meat and smoothies is an option.

lisabinil: ..Starting ****** today. I hate to count things, but I guess I can't cry if I don't try. LoL, that rhymes. Thanks for your input.

InTheLight: Every time I see your name, I sing the Led Zep song in my head. Love it! Thank you so much.
Good attitude and love the saying!
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sorry about your pet. This kind of event creates stress and that can have a huge 'play' in weight loss.

How were you eating prior to low carb? Often the big 'gush' of weight loss is due to the loss of water. If you were already eating relatively low carb, you won't experience that water loss. Just a thought....keep at it - you are eating for health now!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you clackley.

I was eating like a pig, lol. Sad, but true... Yep, going to keep at it.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
So sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. It was a lucky animal to have you love it for 15 years!
As others have said, stress can slow weight loss, I think it has to do with the effect cortisol has on our bodies.
On a positive note, you are three pounds lighter, and, going by your positive attitude, you will continue losing! Good luck!
Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much Joedi.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
So sorry about your iguana That would be really tough. One of my kitties recently passed away and it feels awful to lose your friend. *hugs*

As for your weight loss....when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I started eating general low carb right away (well, within a week or so, after reading up on it). I was thrilled to lose a couple of pounds right off the bat. However....I was not counting carbs or following a plan. I just cut bread, pasta, rice, sugar, etc. The next time I got on a scale (a MONTH later) I found that I had lost NOTHING further. Lucky for me, I'd been hanging around (invisibly) on LCF for research, and decided that following a strict plan was the way forward. I started Atkins last July 5th, and THEN the weight started coming off! I think it just takes vigilance in carb cutting and following a stricter program for some of us. Maybe it would help you too?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LissaKay
Stats: 5'1" 170/140/ on Medifast 138/137/115 on Atkins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 8, 2011
I gained 4 pounds in the first two weeks of induction. Since then, I have been up and down in a 4 or 5 pound range.

"THEN" was February 8

Not much I can offer since I struggle too. I have found that I need to keep portions under control (yes, count calories, I have to stay under 1400 a day) and I also have to keep carbs at a bare minimum - less then 12 - 14 grams a day. I tweaked this and that and finally cut out everything except fresh veggies, unprocessed proteins, natural fats and oils (coconut and olive oil). And ... nothing. Still bouncing

I second the recommendation of food tracking at a site like *********.com ... at least until you get a good handle on how much carbs are in foods. Some can be rather surprising. If you are going to do Atkins, DO Atkins. Read the book or study up on the web site. The plan has some solid science behind it, and have allowed foods and disallowed foods and limited foods based on that. If you are really adverse to counting, follow the allowed foods list and the amounts recommended and you will be good to go.

Good luck, and you are not alone!
LissaKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
I'm peri-menopausal and one of my cats is dying. I can relate!!!!!!!!!!

BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #15

Gallery: flatferenghi
i am a slow loser, and i count carbs religiously.

i am in it for the long haul. if u really hate counting, try a less austere low carb plan, where u can "wing"it. Of course, u would have to pay more attention to calories, fat, and portion sizes. There is always a trade-off. The right plan is one that is least stressful, less deprivation, less hunger. Such a plan is a lifetime plan. u WILL get to goal weight eventually. so just exhale, and enjoy the ride. The more u really enjoy your plan, and the slower u lose the weight, the more likely u will keep it off. As i am sure u are aware, exercise, and vitamins are equal parts of the weight loss equation. Sorry about the iguana. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

stardustshadow - Thank you and I am so sorry for your kitty. I think you're right. I need to count carbs. For that reason, I might be switching over to South Beach, because I really don't want to count anything.

LissaKay - I'm sorry that you are struggling too. I have read the book and I have been eating foods that are allowed (except for protein shakes, because I don't eat eggs.) but I guess just too much of them. ********* is a great site, I just don't want to have to keep track of anything.

zizi - Hugs back zizi! You are so inspiring to me. You've lost so much. I guess you counted, huh? I'm sorry about your cat. It hurts so much to see them go (or know they are going).

flatferenghi - I do take vitamins and am going to start using my treadmill and doing yoga, but with so much to lose, I know I should be losing with diet alone as well. Thank you for your kind words.

...I love this community. If I go back to South Beach can I still hang out here?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance101 View Post
stardustshadow - Thank you and I am so sorry for your kitty. I think you're right. I need to count carbs. For that reason, I might be switching over to South Beach, because I really don't want to count anything.

LissaKay - I'm sorry that you are struggling too. I have read the book and I have been eating foods that are allowed (except for protein shakes, because I don't eat eggs.) but I guess just too much of them. ********* is a great site, I just don't want to have to keep track of anything.

zizi - Hugs back zizi! You are so inspiring to me. You've lost so much. I guess you counted, huh? I'm sorry about your cat. It hurts so much to see them go (or know they are going).

flatferenghi - I do take vitamins and am going to start using my treadmill and doing yoga, but with so much to lose, I know I should be losing with diet alone as well. Thank you for your kind words.

...I love this community. If I go back to South Beach can I still hang out here?
Of course! This board supports tons of different weight loss approaches. There may be a special section for South Beach in the 'other plans' section but no matter, main board is the most active and varied.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote