LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LissaKay
Stats: 5'1" 170/140/ on Medifast 138/137/115 on Atkins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 8, 2011
How to get back into fat burning?

we went out to dinner, and apparently the waitress was not all that honest or informed about the food served. I asked if the chicken wings were breaded or coated with anything before being fried, and she assured me that no they were not. So I ordered some with a salad, hold the croutons, with ranch on the side (so I could eyeball the portion size). The food arrived and appeared to not have anything carby, so I dug in.

However, shortly after getting home, I had that awful feeling that I'd had a pretty good intake of carbs ... suddenly sleepy, muddy headed and my tummy was not happy at all. I tested for ketosis and the stick came back totally negative. I tested again an hour later, and first thing this morning ... just as beige as can be. And my weight was up a pound too. (But TOM is expected tomorrow, so ... )

So, I've been struggling all along with weight loss, in induction since Feb 8, but gaining and losing the same 4 - 5 pounds ever since. Is there any way I can get back into fat burning any faster? I am pushing the water as much as I can stand. Would upping the fat intake help? I have coconut oil and some macadamia nuts. Cut out all veggies for a day or two? I took two cinnamon caps this morning, and added a little to my coffee as well.

This is somewhat distressing as I used to be able to maintain at least mild ketosis on as much as 80 carbs/day with little to no fat.

Any ideas to get me back into fat burning a little quicker?
LissaKay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
With a carb level that high you can be in ketosis but it won't necessarily show on the stix. Don't use the stix as the end all to judge ketosis.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

One of these days, I hope to be able to write clearly enough to be easily understood, and remain concise at the same time .... I can do one, or the other, but not both at the same time it seems ...

Let's try the last statement again ... on the diet plan I USED TO BE ON (Medifast, specifically), which I have not been on since December, the daily carb intake was around 80 total per day. No idea what net was, it was not counted that way. While I was on this plan, whenever I checked with ketostix (more out of curiosity than anything, with the full understanding that it is but one indicator of being in a fat burning state) I would be in AT LEAST mild ketosis. I also understand that there is usually little difference in the meaning between light pink and dark purple, except as an indicator of how dilute the urine is.

What I find distressing is that, in light of all that and given what all I ate yesterday, and even with the most extreme carb numbers possible within that (super carby ranch dressing? a bit of breading on the wings? - none was visible - sugar in the wing sauce?) - maybe 30? 40? for the day, including my earlier meals, that I would be showing a total negative on the sticks AND having the physical feeling of not being in a fat burning state.

So ... my question is ... is there anything I can do to get back into fat burning a little faster?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #4

You might be keto adapted and you simply don't spill as many ketones in your urine now. Your body may have adapted to using them efficiently as a fuel source. A better explanation of this can be found in "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. What worked the best for you in the past getting into ketosis? I would say going that route again would be your best bet.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LissaKay View Post
This is somewhat distressing as I used to be able to maintain at least mild ketosis on as much as 80 carbs/day with little to no fat.

Any ideas to get me back into fat burning a little quicker?
If I remember correctly, Atkins wrote that the strips won't register for ketosis after 50-60 carbs. By low carb standards, 80 is a lot! The science of low carb is that fat *must* be present. I'm wondering if you were losing weight due to low calorie?

Have you posted your menus so people can help?
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muffin_maiden
Stats: Doesn't matter/its a number/healthy
WOE: LC
Start Date: November 2011
For me, what knocks me out of ketosis isn't usually the amount of carbs I've consumed but the type. I can eat oranges, pears, grapefruit, potatoes, yams, tomatoes, etc to excess and it will not effect my losses or ketosis. But if I take ONE bite of bread or something sugary, I'm out within minutes. My guess is, the wing sauce probably had a ton of sugar in it; same with the ranch dressing. Most restaurants use bottled wing sauce and don't make their own; if you've ever been shopping for wing sauce at the grocery store you'll know that there are very few of them without sugar. Same with the ranch dressing.

The best way I've found (as an unintentionally frequent off-plan eater) is to keep going with your previous plan like nothing happened. You'll slip back in within a day or two and probably lose some extra water with it.
muffin_maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

OK ... let's just say I cheated. OK? I ate too much - on purpose or by accident. However, I know that eating in restaurants is to be avoided ... along with all the other restrictions in portions, calories, etc.

Nevermind the old diet plan I was on, or whether or not you can be in ketosis eating 80-90 carbs a day (thousands of Medifast folks will tell you it is possible though) It is not relevant to my question - it was offered only for context. But yes, it was a calorie restricted diet, in addition to being both low fat and low carb (comparatively speaking), and yes, I was actually losing on that plan, albeit very slowly. No, I cannot go back on it - soy is bad. Nuff said.

I FEEL that I am no longer in ketosis (nevermind the friggin sticks and whether or not they are accurate, I use them only to confirm what I am feeling) and I want to get back into ketosis/fat burning. I do not know how long it took when I started Medifast to get into ketosis. The last time I cheated, it took almost two weeks of extremely strict induction to get back into it. And three weeks to lose the 4 pounds I gained.

Does anyone know of a way to hasten the process of getting back into fat burning mode? Eat more fat? Reduce carbs to near nothing? Coconut oil? Green tea? Cinnamon? I am at work all day so I cannot exercise. I just want to get rid of this icky feeling and even though I cannot actually LOSE, I want to be in the fat burning mode so that I do not gain any more weight.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #8

High fat, low carb and exercise is recommended. Getting into ketosis is very YMMV-we can't tell you how long it will take your liver to get rid of it's glycogen stores. Green tea and cinnamon have nothing to do with getting into ketosis.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Quote:
I FEEL that I am no longer in ketosis (nevermind the friggin sticks and whether or not they are accurate, I use them only to confirm what I am feeling) and I want to get back into ketosis/fat burning. I do not know how long it took when I started Medifast to get into ketosis. The last time I cheated, it took almost two weeks of extremely strict induction to get back into it. And three weeks to lose the 4 pounds I gained.

Does anyone know of a way to hasten the process of getting back into fat burning mode? Eat more fat? Reduce carbs to near nothing? Coconut oil? Green tea? Cinnamon? I am at work all day so I cannot exercise. I just want to get rid of this icky feeling and even though I cannot actually LOSE, I want to be in the fat burning mode so that I do not gain any more weight.
Your plan says Atkins. Do you have your book nearby. Or, alternatively, you can go to the stickies and read the newbie pages. Lots of "free" info is available.

I highly encourage you to read about the science behind low carb. Supplements/aids can help, but the science revolves around insulin, and the body's processing of carbs.

The best, and IMO, healthiest way to get back into ketosis is to do a clean, by the book Atkins induction.

I hope your stall breaks soon.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fairy Belle
Take some brisk walks
Fairy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Chasintrail
Stats: 205/? size 10/8-10 5'6"
WOE: Primal - high-fat/real food
No, there is no way of hastening the process. Stay on plan and drink plenty of water.

You will go back to "ketosis" when you're body gets over the shock. Since you've been LC for some time, it will probably be within 24 hours or so.
Chasintrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lioness0455
Stats: 256.5/170/125
Start Date: 1/3/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by LissaKay View Post

When you go over the amount of carbs your body immediately needs for fuel, they are stored as glycogen in the liver and muscles. Water is stored along with glycogen, hence a small "weight" gain.

When you first go on a low carb diet, the body uses the glycogen stored in your liver to keep your blood sugar level within a tight, narrow range. The liver uses fatty acids to fuel that process. Ketones are a by-product of breaking down fatty acids. Ketostix only show ketones not being used by the brain, heart, kidneys, etc.

What you're looking for, is a fast way to empty the liver glycogen you just replaced, so you can feel the euphoria that comes from predominantly burning fatty acids for fuel. This occurs when the liver is about 1/2 way depleted. Anything that lowers blood glucose level will quicken the process.

Restaurant food contains a lot of sugar which is 1/2 glucose, 1/2 fructose. The glucose should have been immediately burned, but the fructose portion would have replaced "some" glycogen. So a day of "meat and eggs" plus some extra activity is what you're looking for.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 156.4 start/153.3/130 goal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioness0455 View Post
When you go over the amount of carbs your body immediately needs for fuel, they are stored as glycogen in the liver and muscles. Water is stored along with glycogen, hence a small "weight" gain.

When you first go on a low carb diet, the body uses the glycogen stored in your liver to keep your blood sugar level within a tight, narrow range. The liver uses fatty acids to fuel that process. Ketones are a by-product of breaking down fatty acids. Ketostix only show ketones not being used by the brain, heart, kidneys, etc.

What you're looking for, is a fast way to empty the liver glycogen you just replaced, so you can feel the euphoria that comes from predominantly burning fatty acids for fuel. This occurs when the liver is about 1/2 way depleted. Anything that lowers blood glucose level will quicken the process.

Restaurant food contains a lot of sugar which is 1/2 glucose, 1/2 fructose. The glucose should have been immediately burned, but the fructose portion would have replaced "some" glycogen. So a day of "meat and eggs" plus some extra activity is what you're looking for.
Excellent explanation!
steakandNOpotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, Vickie. I kinda knew there wasn't a "quick fix" but hoped there was something I could do to encourage my body to burn off the junk a little faster. I think I will do a combined egg and fat fast over the weekend, and spend some time out in the yard getting my garden back under control. And of course, lots of water!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
Exercise will help burn off any stored carbs--especially weight lifting.
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
How about a meat/egg/fat fast? I know a friend of mine did it and lost like 6lbs in one week! Then you could try doing a strict induction after that and then slowly add in more carbs to get back to where you were.
Catrapoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #17
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I want to add something.. If you are due for your period, this may knock you out of ketosis..

I know from MY PAST EXPERIENCE that the first few years I was low carbing, When I was about to get my period, and got my period I'd gain a couple of pounds and be right out of ketosis. And this was with out eating bad, and staying on plan.

Honestly IMO though, and this is only IMO, if the wings were just dusted in flour and fried, then just dipped in some buffalo sauce (unless it was bbq sauce and you over indulged) I'm not sure that on its own would knock you out of ketosis.

My suggestion is to just eat clean, stay away from artifical crap like atkins bars etc for a few days, eat clean, and maybe even cut out nuts for a few days..

Breakfast : Spinich Omlet with 3 eggs, fried in butter with an ounce of cheese

Snack: tuna salad in celery stalks

Lunch: Large salad with oil and vinegar and protein of choice

Snack: hard boiled egg

Dinner: broccoli topped with butter, sour cream, and crumbled bacon and steak
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
Just to add in, that is very frustrating about the server at the restaurant. I also went out last night and ordered mushrooms stuffed with white cheddar and herbs. HELLO bread crumbs on top?!?!?!? That is not how they were described to me. I scraped off what I could, but I should have just sent them back. For some reason I can't get up the nerve to do that. I don't know why. Of course this morning I was kicking myself for not speaking up. AND my caesar had croutons on it (simple fix but still- grrr!).
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote