LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MZOregon
Stats: 283/233/175/?
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 01/31/2011
Probiotics and Magnesium

I don't obsess about it, but I do have a bit of trouble with constipation. I know that a lot of it is because I really don't eat a lot of volume of food, but with reading posts here I decided to add Magnesium. I also read an article about someone who lost a lot of weight and had taken probiotics...can't remember what the WOE was...but that wasn't really what struck me. I don't eat yogurt, and I know that has that 'good bacteria' in it...so I decided to try this. Day one...success! Day 2...nada. Day 3...jury is still out. I am just wondering if any of you take probiotics...with, or without the magnesium???

Curious about your results, both with it helping in the weight loss journey, and with the 'other'....
MZOregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bostongal
Stats: 275/173/160
WOE: low residue but helping DH do Atkins
Start Date: 07/29/02
I am not sure about losing weight using magnesium or probiotics. I do know that magnesium will move you and can cause diarrhea in some folks. Another fix for constipation is to eat ground golden flaxseed meal - 1 TB or more sprinkled over yogurt or added to anything you are making.

Probiotics can correct the flora in your GI tract but I am not sure it will help with constipation.

I would increase water intake and try the flaxseed meal.

Good luck!
bostongal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LeahGraceG
Stats: 150 (postpartum)/119.6/110 (someday after baby)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Nov 2011
I take a probiotic tablet of 1 billion acidophilus per day, along with 600 mg of mag. I noticed a dramatic improvement in my regularity when I started the probiotic tablet. At first I couldn't figure out what was different -- then I figured out that it was the acidophilus. Worked for me!
LeahGraceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8˝"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
Probiotics supplements are one of the things I'm religious about taking every day. It's by far the most helpful thing I do, even more so than the magnesium which I also take every day, but on the rare day I miss it, I make absolutely sure I've taken My Dr. Ohhira's probiotic. Probiotics do a lot more than we think to improve our health. There's a ton of research out there about this. I think if you google it, you'll be amazed at what you learn.
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I take 1 cap, 10 billion active cultures a day. It doesn't seem to help in the potty department, but I like the other benefits of it so I keep taking it.

HTH
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MZOregon
Stats: 283/233/175/?
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 01/31/2011
Thanks

Nice to know that I am not the only one that has read this good stuff on probiotics. I know that it has many benefits, and recently, I have been reading several things about the benefits of probiotics to weight loss. I have googled it several times...and I would encourage anyone with an interest to do so. The first day, I felt lots of activity in my inards....gurgling and swishing and stuff. I don't notice that so much, but I do feel different! I know that both of these things are helpful....along with the water. Stay tuned for the difference in the weight loss dept..... I have a good feeling about it, along with all of the meat, fat, eggs....
MZOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I take probiotics, too... in miso paste and sour cream, yogurt and homemade sauerkraut. I don't take tablets though.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote