Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/139.4/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
Does anyone use protein shakes as meal replacements?

Do you feel it has helped/hindered/not affected your weight loss? Do you make your own or buy prepackaged? And finally, how many meals a day do you replace (if you do at all)? Feel free to recommend a flavor/brand/recipe if it's allowed...
doxielove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muffin_maiden
Stats: Doesn't matter/its a number/healthy
WOE: LC
Start Date: November 2011
I make my own from Trader Joe's unflavored soy protein powder. On days when I'm not fasting until evening, I'll usually have one for breakfast and lunch. I mix two scoops of powder with 10 ounces of almond milk, a few droppers of stevia, and either cocoa powder or cinnamon and nutmeg. I also sometimes use flavored extracts like mint or orange to make it more flavorful.

They help with my weight loss because it keeps me from overeating. If I was going to eat breakfast or lunch they'd usually be much bigger meals than I need and even though they're low in carb, I'm one of those that has to count calories.
muffin_maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
I do. I usually drink one for breakfast and sometimes one for lunch on the weekends. I believe it has helped me. My recipe:

1 c. strongly brewed coffee
10 ice cubes
2 T unsw. dark cocoa
1 T vanilla whey protein powder
2 T HWC

Hope that helps!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Hi d-love…

You know I only eat when I'm hungry and only what fixes the hunger, so if I feel like a shake or other in-between-type-foods in place of a 'meal' I have one...and whether I am home or out will decide if I make it or buy it pre-made.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EZ35
Stats: 319/296/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 15 2013
I use EAS ADVANtedge low carb ready to drink shakes. I eat some Bacon and have a shake most mornings before I workout.
EZ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
I sometimes make a peanut butter protein shake, and yes I do eat it as a meal because it clocks around 550kcal and I found that it doesn't really hinder or stall my loss.

2tbsp LC Peanut Butter (I use Simply JIF)
1 scoop whey protein
2 tsp. SF fiber powder
1 cup SF soy milk
1 tbsp. SF Chocolate syrup (optional)
4-5 ice cubes

Blend til creamy

If I use an Atkins shake it is generally considered a snack for me since it is only around 160kcals....
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beachgirl21
Stats: 122/113/105/f/5'0
I sometimes have an atkins protein shake for breakfast (with a couple slices of turkey bacon). I like it because sometimes I feel like eating a bunch of food makes me want to eat even more, but drinking a shake is yummy and never makes me feel nauseous like eggs sometimes do.
beachgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laffin
Stats: 329.8/215.8/135
Start Date: 2/7/2011
No, I might use them as a snack but liquid meals just don't satisfy me psychologically - I need to chew my meals not drink them.
laffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
I uually have one for breakfast. I make it the night before and then take it to work. Its really filling and thic and takes me all morning to drink.
1c almond milk
Half cup fage
1 scoop designer whey protein
1T coconut oil

And then I either make it chocolate with cocoa, peanut butter with pb2 or pumpkin with a quarter cup canned pumpkin. Very yumy and filling. About 300 calories and 5 carbs
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelec
Stats: 199 (highest)/182 (LC restart)/163/120
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: 3/6/2011
I eat a protein shake every day for breakfast and probably have 1 for dinner 3 days per week. I definitely think it helps me. Probably because the carbs are KNOWN and there aren't any surprises.

My recipe:
1 scoop chocolate muscle milk
1/4 c water
1/4 c Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 c Unsweetened Almond Milk
1 tsp peanut butter (optional, I add it when I am hungrier, it helps me go longer)
I whip this all together in my Magic Bullet Blender, YUM.

Total carbs (w/o peanut butter) are 9 g carbs. I try to stay between 30-40 net carbs per day, so this is fine for me. And, they are very filling for me.
shelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
I have some Atkins shakes on hand for when I'm in a rush and no time to cook. I find they actually help my progress. I don't use them more often because I have to also eat a morsel of something with it (like a celery stick) or I'll feel ill from all the liquid and because I'm lactose intolerant.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: The Rose
Stats: Circus fat/less circus fat/not circus fat
WOE: 30 carbs or less per day
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielove View Post
Do you feel it has helped/hindered/not affected your weight loss? Do you make your own or buy prepackaged? And finally, how many meals a day do you replace (if you do at all)? Feel free to recommend a flavor/brand/recipe if it's allowed...
My husband replaces lunch with a Premier Nutrition Chocolate shake (we get them at Costco) 3-4 days a week. He has lost over 85 lbs. It has not affected his weight loss. I do not use them as a meal replacement, but I do use them when I need a chocolate fix (blend with ice, Torani sf coconut and hwc).
The Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
I do.I use the Atkins shakes.They are great. They have never gave me any problems.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammykatt
Stats: 186/168.8/150
WOE: I dont even know anymore
I used to really like the Atkins shakes and the EAS carb control ones but I could never use them as a meal replacement because I am always hungry about 2 hours after having one. Now I drink Premier Protein shakes from Costco (Someone on here said that was what they used and I bought a case to try and now I'm hooked!) I have 2 a day, one in the morning and one when I come home before I workout. I love them.
Sammykatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/139.4/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
Thanks, everybody, for your helpful replies!
doxielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: harleychic
Stats: 174 (hw) 160/150/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins 72, clean eating no frankenfoods
Start Date: 5/3/08, re-start after baby #3 born on 3/22/11
I make my own, have for a few years now. I avoid soy, and don't usually like any whey protein shakes. My recipe

3 ice cubes
2 eggs (yes, raw eggs. just like in cookie dough lol)
2 oz cream cheese
healthy splash of HWC, almond milk, coffee etc... whatever I am feeling that day
2 tablespoons Davinchi flavoring, I have several different ones
mix very well in blender. You can also add 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter and its so good. I use the French Vanilla or Chocolate flavor when I do that.
They are so yummy, and keep me full for usually 4 hours. I tried the Atkins shakes and they tasted good, but didn't keep me full and had a lot of weird stuff. I try to keep ingredients in my food as low as possible. I really believe its best if you can make your own food or eat 'real' food as much as possible.
Oh, and before anyone freaks on the raw egg, I have drank these shakes for over 3 years and have never gotten sick, and for most of my life when I was fat I ate tons of cookie dough, with raw eggs in it lol
Oh, and It has never slowed my weight loss and helps with my general dislike of breakfast. Its also quick to drink in the morning when I am getting ready for work.
harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychic View Post
I make my own, have for a few years now. I avoid soy, and don't usually like any whey protein shakes. My recipe

3 ice cubes
2 eggs (yes, raw eggs. just like in cookie dough lol)
2 oz cream cheese
healthy splash of HWC, almond milk, coffee etc... whatever I am feeling that day
2 tablespoons Davinchi flavoring, I have several different ones
mix very well in blender. You can also add 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter and its so good. I use the French Vanilla or Chocolate flavor when I do that.
They are so yummy, and keep me full for usually 4 hours. I tried the Atkins shakes and they tasted good, but didn't keep me full and had a lot of weird stuff. I try to keep ingredients in my food as low as possible. I really believe its best if you can make your own food or eat 'real' food as much as possible.
Oh, and before anyone freaks on the raw egg, I have drank these shakes for over 3 years and have never gotten sick, and for most of my life when I was fat I ate tons of cookie dough, with raw eggs in it lol
Oh, and It has never slowed my weight loss and helps with my general dislike of breakfast. Its also quick to drink in the morning when I am getting ready for work.
Thanks for the recipe! I don't have a problem with raw eggs. It makes me feel like Rocky Balboa.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin
I usually have an EAS Protein drink for breakfast but its not enough to hold me until lunch so I add a protein like an egg or sausage. Today its bacon wrapped lil smokies with my shake. This will hold me until 12:30 when I have lunch.
Wishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I have tried the pure protein and the Atkins shakes and both are great! I use them for a breakfast replacement, I am sick of eggs so these work out pretty well for me.
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: harleychic
Stats: 174 (hw) 160/150/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins 72, clean eating no frankenfoods
Start Date: 5/3/08, re-start after baby #3 born on 3/22/11
Hope you like it christine
harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VooDooDoll
Stats: 270/265/175
Start Date: Dec 2012 (again!)
Sometimes I do the pre-made shakes (either the EAS or Atkins) when I am on the go or I make my own with the powder in a blender with some ice. If I am feeling needy I add in some strawberries!
VooDooDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nurees
Stats: 185/182/135
WOE: Lower Carb
Start Date: Re-Start March 2011
I just found the Gold Standard Whey Powder - Rich Chocolate. Blended one scoop with 1/2 C water and 1/2 C HWC with 1 TBSP flax meal. Added a handful of ice cubes and blended again. Just like a chocolate shake. 3 net carbs for the powder and .5 for my brand of flax meal.

I have trouble with breakfast, always have. I figured I might try these instead. Chocolate and berries or peanut butter sound good.
Nurees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
I find that liquid thing like shakes do not fill me up. I end up eating real food and the shake is just an unnecessary amount of calories and a waste of my money. That has been my experience. YMMV.
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
I use Rainbow Light Protein Energizer (chocolate) with some added cinnamon. I shake it (or blend it) with Almond Milk and tons of ice to get it really cold.

I don't use as a meal replacement as its not very filling, but I do have it with a meal or as an evening treat.

This brand has a ton of added vitamins and is healthier than just "protein".
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I've used them as a meal when I was hungry but either didn't want to eat ANYTHING or felt icky, or just didn't have ingredients for what I really wanted.

The nice thing is that while I didn't feel "full", I felt satisfied. This especially helpful in the mornings when I don't usually eat breakfast but sometimes the hunger strikes and I know anything I eat will feel heavy and sickening, the light protein powder shake with some ice cubes is the best. I use Designer Whey, Double chocolate powder and either plain unsweetened Almond/coconut milk from tetra pack ( 35Kcal) It's not really a meal, but it can keep me from needing to eat til later because it has like 18g of protein and is refreshing at the same time.

I don't know if they help or hinder loss cause I'm all over the place

I also keep some Atkins and Slim Fast RTD around for when I'm away from home or on a road trip, they taste better poured over ice and drunk through a straw than straight from the bottle , IMO.

When I was going for really high Fat, I'd make Bobo's Pumpkin Thickshake, it was heavy whipping cream, pumpkin puree, water, egg, and uh, spice? All blended up and thick. Search for it, I haven't made it in ages but it was so good, but high in calories and fat, but filling for hours.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 09-12-2013 at 11:23 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote