Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Contributor
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2011
Pork rinds? Junk food?

Being a recently converted low-carber I have fallen in love with Pork rinds whenever I'm craving a mid afternoon snack. Dr Atkins even reccomended them as a perfectly healthy low carb snack.

Anyway, I was doing my daily wiki browse and I stumbled across a "Junk food" page. (I know wikipedia isn't a credible source for information, but still)

Junk food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With protein of poor nutritional quality, more fat than (and nearly five times the sodium of) potato chips, pork rinds meet the common criteria for junk food.

Sure, they might have a point with the sodium content. Although all the brands of pork rinds I buy have a limited amount of sodium, some even replace the sodium with potassium or atleast use half and half.

Anyone else consider pork rinds a healthy snack?
Contributor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hi Contributor,

The selling point for me is 0 net carbs. My favorite is Frito-Lay’s Hot’n Spicy. I open the bag, add ¼ cup cheese powder and shake. I use them infrequently, about ½ serving, when I ‘just need something crunchy’…not like in the old days when I could consume Frito’s or Potato Chips a whole bag at a time… ;-)

Welcome to our board!
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
Pork Rinds may be a junk food to non low carbers but is defiantly a staple for those of us who low-carb Place in Non-Junk-Food Category
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
I have never tried pork rinds but I am seriously going to now! They sound so good and I love crunchy/salty snacks. I say as long as you're not inhaling a whole bag a day (which I would be likely to do...) then enjoy!
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have to chuckle at that. Poor source of protein? Really, and potato chips are a better source? And more salt - not according to my package.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RDBhan
Stats: (198) 190/155 5'10"
WOE: Protein Power; Maintenance since 8/11
Start Date: June 2002, refocus 1/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contributor View Post
Being a recently converted low-carber I have fallen in love with Pork rinds whenever I'm craving a mid afternoon snack. Dr Atkins even reccomended them as a perfectly healthy low carb snack.

Anyway, I was doing my daily wiki browse and I stumbled across a "Junk food" page. (I know wikipedia isn't a credible source for information, but still)

With protein of poor nutritional quality, more fat than (and nearly five times the sodium of) potato chips, pork rinds meet the common criteria for junk food.[/SIZE]
This is just low fat, high carb diet nonsense thinking. "Junk" is in the eye of the beholder (or consumer, in this case). Pork rinds are great for a snack, and are really good substitutes for breading (grind them fine in a food processor or beat the heck out of them with a rolling pin while in the bag).
RDBhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Love these things. The other day I melted cheddar cheese over them and then topped them with salsa. Tasted so much like nacho chips. Yummo
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I don't consider them to be healthy at all- to me they are the low carb equivalent to potato chips. They are very processed, have negligible nutrients, and are very calorific. Nuts are such a much better snack.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Love these things. The other day I melted cheddar cheese over them and then topped them with salsa. Tasted so much like nacho chips. Yummo
OMG! Thanks for the idea!!

I loooove pork rinds! It's hard to find them sometimes in my are for some reason. I buy plain and BBQ. Use the plain in place of bread crumbs like i just did with crab cakes on Sunday.
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: houndho
Stats: 232/142/135, 5'9"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: January 1, 2011
If pork rinds help to lose or maintain weight loss, then I'd consider them a healthy snack. Healthier than staying overweight, right?
houndho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: noraella
Stats: 155.5/140/110
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4/16/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
OMG i'm stealing this okay?
noraella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
yummy, plain pork rinds and an apple together
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tara_verd
Stats: 229.5/226/170
WOE: Atkins; 5'-8" tall
Start Date: May 12, 2012
Ha. I'll give up pork rinds when they're torn outta my cold, dead hands!!!

I used to be the queen of tortilla chips; I'm the queen of pork rinds.

{{going to get some now, ya'll have made me hungry}}
tara_verd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Guthrie1134
Stats: 311/287/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2011
I just finished eating pork rinds and I ate them instead of the chocolate that was calling to me. If the easter candy doesn't disappear I am going to lose it.
Guthrie1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Just because they are low carb I wouldn't consider them healthy. they have almost no nutrients and I see them as an empty food. Nuts are so much better.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
to me they are the low carb equivalent to potato chips. They are very processed, have negligible nutrients, and are very calorific. Nuts are such a much better snack.
Oh...glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I can down a whole bag of pork rinds without even thinking...just like I used to do with potato chips...and all they do is take away from my daily calorie count.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #17

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:

Junk food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With protein of poor nutritional quality, more fat than (and nearly five times the sodium of) potato chips, pork rinds meet the common criteria for junk food.

Sure, they might have a point with the sodium content. Although all the brands of pork rinds I buy have a limited amount of sodium, some even replace the sodium with potassium or atleast use half and half.

Anyone else consider pork rinds a healthy snack?
I don't. But I don't consider them a detriment to healthful eating either. I think they contribute almost nothing except calories, so a lot less 'junky' than a lot of other junk food snacks.

There are just times when you want something crunchy. Or something to use as a cracker replacement or scooping-type chip for dips and spreads, and pork rinds can fill the bill.

I tried several times and several brands to find one that fills the bill. Could never make myself like them though. I just keep thinking they are kinda' gakky.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmiejean
Stats: 218/209 /160
WOE: My own thing
Start Date: July 18, 2012
Pork Rind NAcho QUeen here!!! Everyday for lunch i have:

pork rinds topped with fajita chicken and cheese ...melt serve with sour cream and chopped tomatoes and onions

I've also made Brisket Nachos...use brisket instead of the chicken. AND ground meat Nachos...ect......

This is one meal that keeps me on program!

Last edited by kimmiejean; 04-28-2011 at 11:24 AM..
kimmiejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I have to chuckle at that. Poor source of protein? Really, and potato chips are a better source? And more salt - not according to my package.
I know, right? We're talking *snack* here. In the aisle with the potato chips and the cheesey poofs and the corn curls. We're not really thinking about protein needs when we're looking over the snack aisle.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #20
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I know, right? We're talking *snack* here. In the aisle with the potato chips and the cheesey poofs and the corn curls. We're not really thinking about protein needs when we're looking over the snack aisle.
I guess it depends who you are. I don't really like pork rinds but they are good as a 'vehicle' AND they contribute a good bit of protein. Compare a 28g serving of potato ships to the same amount of pork rinds - potato chips, 2g protein - pork rinds, 16g!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I'm upping my calories for the day (if I can force myself to eat everything I've planned), and a bag of pork rinds is on my list! I will use them as a vehicle for my tuna salad!
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

My DH bought me a gift last night:
FIVE bags of Vinegar and Salt pork rinds!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #23

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I've been eating them a lot. Mostly because of the low carbs. I still think of them as junk food though
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #24

Quote:
I guess it depends who you are. I don't really like pork rinds but they are good as a 'vehicle' AND they contribute a good bit of protein. Compare a 28g serving of potato ships to the same amount of pork rinds - potato chips, 2g protein - pork rinds, 16g!
Yes. I remember there was a discussion about the quality of protein in pork rinds and that since it was so poor, that was the reason it had to be noted as *Not an appreciable source of protein* on the label. They still crunch though.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #25

Could I ask what brands you folks buy? The brands I tried all had a bad smell and taste, sort of like rancid pork/bacon. They all shared that. Is that just the way pork rinds smell and taste?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
My favorite is Turkey Creek.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
They are tasty for sure, not so nice to smell though.

The biggest issues with them are:
(1) MSG. Many brands add this to flavor them. No need put excitotoxins into your body to stay LC. Find a brand without MSG.
(2) Sodium. Just got to watch the sodium or you can gain some water weight temporarily.
(3) Quality of the Proetin is poor. Pork Skins do not contain the right/full amino acids that your body needs, so you shouldn't count the protein in pork rinds as the protein to fufill your daily needs, which you need to get elswhere. (Pork rinds are just extra garbage protein - collagen - which should as least be good for you har/skin/nails I believe, but not for your muscles.

That said, I keep em at my house for a chip replacement. I prefer nuts though.
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

We sometimes go to a town by the name of CANTON. And they have Canton Trade Days...Kinda like a huge flea market except better!

I try to buy the fresh ones there. The taste is AMAZING!!!!! They have giant bags for $3.00. I don't go very often but that's one of the places that i stop at when I do go.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #29

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
I just want to say that Wikipedia is an AWESOME source of information, usually head and shoulders above what you can easily find elsewhere on the internet. There were a few cases of malicious editing for political reasons, but that is under control now. If someone enters something spurious, it's usually removed within hours, since there are so many people reading everything on there...

in most areas the footnotes will lead you to the best articles and studies on a given subject.

you know you can contribute and edit Wikipedia just like everyone else does if you find something you don't think is right. you need to be prepared with good references for footnotes and figure out the formatting, but it's not rocket science. I've done it modestly often.

the contributors are overwhelmingly male and they are trying to get more women to do it, so think about it!

Quote:
Quote:
Junk food is an interesting concept on a low carb diet, isn't it?

Once we have our protein requirement, I guess anything else is all good as long as the carbs stay low and we avoid things that are unhealthy either by nature or by processing.

apparently the protein in pork rinds is not good quality, like the caption says. I don't know what that means... we discussed it on another thread recently. But people shouldn't count that protein towards their daily minimum, apparently. not that most people here need to worry about protein deficiency!

I expect the processing of the things makes them odious in one way or another though. I eat them, but I treat them like junk food in the sense that it's a treat and not something I think of as a solid contribution to my nutrition like virtually everything else I eat is.

in fact, they may be my only junk food. *thinking about it* I guess some sausages are processed in ways that make them less than sterling too. so not the only one.

Last edited by ravenrose; 04-28-2011 at 12:42 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #30
Chatty Cathy

I did not know that pork rinds were considered a poor source of protein. My bag of Baken-ets makes no mention of that even though they are imported from the U.S. I guess the packaging laws differ and they are packaged for Canada. There is no mention of msg as an ingredient either. Thank you the that info.