Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Pork rinds? Junk food? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/719100-pork-rinds-junk-food.html)

Contributor 04-28-2011 12:59 AM

Pork rinds? Junk food?

Being a recently converted low-carber I have fallen in love with Pork rinds whenever I'm craving a mid afternoon snack. Dr Atkins even reccomended them as a perfectly healthy low carb snack.

Anyway, I was doing my daily wiki browse and I stumbled across a "Junk food" page. (I know wikipedia isn't a credible source for information, but still)

Junk food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Po..._saltadded.JPG

With protein of poor nutritional quality, more fat than (and nearly five times the sodium of) potato chips, pork rinds meet the common criteria for junk food.

Sure, they might have a point with the sodium content. Although all the brands of pork rinds I buy have a limited amount of sodium, some even replace the sodium with potassium or atleast use half and half.

Anyone else consider pork rinds a healthy snack?

locarbman 04-28-2011 03:25 AM

Hi Contributor,

The selling point for me is 0 net carbs. My favorite is Frito-Lay’s Hot’n Spicy. I open the bag, add ¼ cup cheese powder and shake. I use them infrequently, about ½ serving, when I ‘just need something crunchy’…not like in the old days when I could consume Frito’s or Potato Chips a whole bag at a time… ;-)

Welcome to our board!

mmorris 04-28-2011 03:29 AM

Pork Rinds may be a junk food to non low carbers but is defiantly a staple for those of us who low-carb :) Place in Non-Junk-Food Category :)

LisaG 04-28-2011 05:13 AM

I have never tried pork rinds but I am seriously going to now! They sound so good and I love crunchy/salty snacks. I say as long as you're not inhaling a whole bag a day (which I would be likely to do...) then enjoy!

clackley 04-28-2011 05:18 AM

I have to chuckle at that. Poor source of protein? Really, and potato chips are a better source? And more salt - not according to my package.:laugh:

RDBhan 04-28-2011 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contributor (Post 14598988)
Being a recently converted low-carber I have fallen in love with Pork rinds whenever I'm craving a mid afternoon snack. Dr Atkins even reccomended them as a perfectly healthy low carb snack.

Anyway, I was doing my daily wiki browse and I stumbled across a "Junk food" page. (I know wikipedia isn't a credible source for information, but still)

With protein of poor nutritional quality, more fat than (and nearly five times the sodium of) potato chips, pork rinds meet the common criteria for junk food.[/SIZE]

This is just low fat, high carb diet nonsense thinking. "Junk" is in the eye of the beholder (or consumer, in this case). Pork rinds are great for a snack, and are really good substitutes for breading (grind them fine in a food processor or beat the heck out of them with a rolling pin while in the bag).

SkeeterN 04-28-2011 05:26 AM

Love these things. The other day I melted cheddar cheese over them and then topped them with salsa. Tasted so much like nacho chips. Yummo

nolcjunk 04-28-2011 05:39 AM

I don't consider them to be healthy at all- to me they are the low carb equivalent to potato chips. They are very processed, have negligible nutrients, and are very calorific. Nuts are such a much better snack.

PghPALady1974 04-28-2011 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 14599267)
Love these things. The other day I melted cheddar cheese over them and then topped them with salsa. Tasted so much like nacho chips. Yummo

OMG! Thanks for the idea!!:cool:

I loooove pork rinds! It's hard to find them sometimes in my are for some reason. I buy plain and BBQ. Use the plain in place of bread crumbs like i just did with crab cakes on Sunday.

houndho 04-28-2011 06:38 AM

If pork rinds help to lose or maintain weight loss, then I'd consider them a healthy snack. Healthier than staying overweight, right?:D

noraella 04-28-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 14599267)

OMG i'm stealing this okay? :kicking:

Mule_Freak 04-28-2011 10:11 AM

yummy, plain pork rinds and an apple together :love:

tara_verd 04-28-2011 10:23 AM

Ha. I'll give up pork rinds when they're torn outta my cold, dead hands!!!

I used to be the queen of tortilla chips; I'm the queen of pork rinds.

{{going to get some now, ya'll have made me hungry}}

Guthrie1134 04-28-2011 10:23 AM

I just finished eating pork rinds and I ate them instead of the chocolate that was calling to me. If the easter candy doesn't disappear I am going to lose it.:annoyed:

nolcjunk 04-28-2011 10:26 AM

Just because they are low carb I wouldn't consider them healthy. they have almost no nutrients and I see them as an empty food. Nuts are so much better.

Aomiel 04-28-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 14599301)
to me they are the low carb equivalent to potato chips. They are very processed, have negligible nutrients, and are very calorific. Nuts are such a much better snack.

Oh...glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I can down a whole bag of pork rinds without even thinking...just like I used to do with potato chips...and all they do is take away from my daily calorie count.

SoHappy 04-28-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Junk food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Po..._saltadded.JPG

With protein of poor nutritional quality, more fat than (and nearly five times the sodium of) potato chips, pork rinds meet the common criteria for junk food.

Sure, they might have a point with the sodium content. Although all the brands of pork rinds I buy have a limited amount of sodium, some even replace the sodium with potassium or atleast use half and half.

Anyone else consider pork rinds a healthy snack?

I don't. But I don't consider them a detriment to healthful eating either. I think they contribute almost nothing except calories, so a lot less 'junky' than a lot of other junk food snacks.

There are just times when you want something crunchy. Or something to use as a cracker replacement or scooping-type chip for dips and spreads, and pork rinds can fill the bill.

I tried several times and several brands to find one that fills the bill. Could never make myself like them though. I just keep thinking they are kinda' gakky. :sick: :(

kimmiejean 04-28-2011 11:23 AM

Pork Rind NAcho QUeen here!!! Everyday for lunch i have:

pork rinds topped with fajita chicken and cheese ...melt serve with sour cream and chopped tomatoes and onions :up: :up:

:love: :love: I've also made Brisket Nachos...use brisket instead of the chicken. AND ground meat Nachos...ect......

This is one meal that keeps me on program!

SoHappy 04-28-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 14599227)
I have to chuckle at that. Poor source of protein? Really, and potato chips are a better source? And more salt - not according to my package.:laugh:

I know, right? :laugh: We're talking *snack* here. In the aisle with the potato chips and the cheesey poofs and the corn curls. We're not really thinking about protein needs when we're looking over the snack aisle. :laugh:

clackley 04-28-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 14600585)
I know, right? :laugh: We're talking *snack* here. In the aisle with the potato chips and the cheesey poofs and the corn curls. We're not really thinking about protein needs when we're looking over the snack aisle. :laugh:

I guess it depends who you are. I don't really like pork rinds but they are good as a 'vehicle' AND they contribute a good bit of protein. Compare a 28g serving of potato ships to the same amount of pork rinds - potato chips, 2g protein - pork rinds, 16g! :D

MsWoods 04-28-2011 12:05 PM

I'm upping my calories for the day (if I can force myself to eat everything I've planned), and a bag of pork rinds is on my list! I will use them as a vehicle for my tuna salad!

kimmiejean 04-28-2011 12:09 PM

My DH bought me a gift last night: :love: :heart:
FIVE bags of Vinegar and Salt pork rinds! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jennyl 04-28-2011 12:10 PM

I've been eating them a lot. Mostly because of the low carbs. I still think of them as junk food though

SoHappy 04-28-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 14600618)
I guess it depends who you are. I don't really like pork rinds but they are good as a 'vehicle' AND they contribute a good bit of protein. Compare a 28g serving of potato ships to the same amount of pork rinds - potato chips, 2g protein - pork rinds, 16g! :D

Yes. I remember there was a discussion about the quality of protein in pork rinds and that since it was so poor, that was the reason it had to be noted as *Not an appreciable source of protein* on the label. They still crunch though.

SoHappy 04-28-2011 12:23 PM

Could I ask what brands you folks buy? The brands I tried all had a bad smell and taste, sort of like rancid pork/bacon. They all shared that. Is that just the way pork rinds smell and taste?

MsWoods 04-28-2011 12:28 PM

My favorite is Turkey Creek.

Taxbane 04-28-2011 12:28 PM

They are tasty for sure, not so nice to smell though.

The biggest issues with them are:
(1) MSG. Many brands add this to flavor them. No need put excitotoxins into your body to stay LC. Find a brand without MSG.
(2) Sodium. Just got to watch the sodium or you can gain some water weight temporarily.
(3) Quality of the Proetin is poor. Pork Skins do not contain the right/full amino acids that your body needs, so you shouldn't count the protein in pork rinds as the protein to fufill your daily needs, which you need to get elswhere. (Pork rinds are just extra garbage protein - collagen - which should as least be good for you har/skin/nails I believe, but not for your muscles.

That said, I keep em at my house for a chip replacement. I prefer nuts though.

kimmiejean 04-28-2011 12:35 PM

We sometimes go to a town by the name of CANTON. And they have Canton Trade Days...Kinda like a huge flea market except better! :laugh:

I try to buy the fresh ones there. The taste is AMAZING!!!!! They have giant bags for $3.00. I don't go very often but that's one of the places that i stop at when I do go.

ravenrose 04-28-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

I just want to say that Wikipedia is an AWESOME source of information, usually head and shoulders above what you can easily find elsewhere on the internet. There were a few cases of malicious editing for political reasons, but that is under control now. If someone enters something spurious, it's usually removed within hours, since there are so many people reading everything on there...

in most areas the footnotes will lead you to the best articles and studies on a given subject.

you know you can contribute and edit Wikipedia just like everyone else does if you find something you don't think is right. you need to be prepared with good references for footnotes and figure out the formatting, but it's not rocket science. I've done it modestly often.

the contributors are overwhelmingly male and they are trying to get more women to do it, so think about it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 14599227)

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 14600618)

Junk food is an interesting concept on a low carb diet, isn't it?

Once we have our protein requirement, I guess anything else is all good as long as the carbs stay low and we avoid things that are unhealthy either by nature or by processing.

apparently the protein in pork rinds is not good quality, like the caption says. I don't know what that means... we discussed it on another thread recently. But people shouldn't count that protein towards their daily minimum, apparently. not that most people here need to worry about protein deficiency!

I expect the processing of the things makes them odious in one way or another though. I eat them, but I treat them like junk food in the sense that it's a treat and not something I think of as a solid contribution to my nutrition like virtually everything else I eat is.

in fact, they may be my only junk food. *thinking about it* I guess some sausages are processed in ways that make them less than sterling too. so not the only one.

clackley 04-28-2011 01:05 PM

I did not know that pork rinds were considered a poor source of protein. My bag of Baken-ets makes no mention of that even though they are imported from the U.S. I guess the packaging laws differ and they are packaged for Canada. There is no mention of msg as an ingredient either. Thank you the that info.