Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I don't know about NO nutrients, but it has this stuff. Maybe it's not a LOT of particularly Great stuff, but no one is claiming it's a supplement or a health food or even a meal substitute. It's got more going for it nutrient wise than shirataki noodles which is nothing but fiber, water and lime but is raved as a great healthy low calorie ( Low fat) food. Maybe the low fat has something to do with it.

from See Nutrition Data:

This food is a good source of Selenium, 5.7mcg.
A 14g serving has
8.6g protein
23 mg of Choline
5.6 IU of Vitamin A
4.2 mg of Calcium
11.9 mg phosphorus
17.8mg Potassium
257 mg Sodium

36.3mg Omega 3
469 mg Omega 6
1.6g Saturated Fat
2.1g Monounsaturated Fat
0.5 g Polyunsaturated Fat

Total trans fatty acids
~
Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids
~
Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids
~

Read More Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Snacks, pork skins, plain
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mary Lee
the big pork rinds (Hill country Fare) brand at our HEB grocers in Texas , lists as ingredients fried pork rinds. And salt. they come with a packet of liquid hot sauce, which I do not eat, but they have been around forever here. the less puffy ones you cook , Inthink are called Chicharron, and are sometimes cooked with scrambled eggs. Not interested in trying that dish! these are just some options for the times that some of us need to stay on program Good Luck All!
Mary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 3, 2013
I've said my comments apply to the flavored varieties only. If none of you eat those, great. But I've seen lots of posts about flavored pork rinds on these boards, so I don't know where all those people are hiding now. LOL.

Those are the ones we are talking about that are full of MSG and other additives. Just like most things with fake flavoring.

Plain ones without extras seem fine to me - better yet if you can buy them fresh from a local Latin deli or restaurant. I won't touch the flavored ones with a ten foot pole.

Sadly, even the plain ones cause me to retain too much water and use up way too much of my calorie allowance. Not to mention waking the snack dragon.

Fortunately, to paraphrase Dr. A (DANDR 2002 p. 159) - we can all craft a weight loss regimen that is uniquely our own. What works for one person won't work for another.

Mini goal: Onederland by October 1
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean View Post
I've said my comments apply to the flavored varieties only. If none of you eat those, great. But I've seen lots of posts about flavored pork rinds on these boards, so I don't know where all those people are hiding now. LOL.

Those are the ones we are talking about that are full of MSG and other additives. Just like most things with fake flavoring.

Plain ones without extras seem fine to me - better yet if you can buy them fresh from a local Latin deli or restaurant. I won't touch the flavored ones with a ten foot pole.

Sadly, even the plain ones cause me to retain too much water and use up way too much of my calorie allowance. Not to mention waking the snack dragon.

Fortunately, to paraphrase Dr. A (DANDR 2002 p. 159) - we can all craft a weight loss regimen that is uniquely our own. What works for one person won't work for another.
Good point there,
I'd also like to add, though, that the people claiming pork rinds were junk food were making the claim against the pork rinds, not necessarily the flavoring. Would popcorn stop being a junk food if we changed the topping, would a snickers bar be less junk food if they changed the milk chocolate to dark? It's the whole item they are calling junk food.

Besides that, I usually buy plain, but in the even I eat flavored, I personally have no issue with MSG, so that would not even register in my definition of whether a food is junk or not. We keep a shaker of Accent Seasoning in the kitchen that we put on our homemade food, and in my opinion, a shake of MSG doesn't turn my entire homecooked meal into junk food. Therefore, the seasoning on pork rinds doesn't make it junk food. Nor does being made of pork, or high in fat.

Something is junk if it doesn't fit in with your own parameters of what is good for your diet.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
This is a "desperately need junky crunchy salty texture, nuts too 'healthy'" food for me. I feel kind of embarrassed to eat them around other people tbh.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #96

junky = salty, crunchy, sweet, any combination of 2, or all 3 at the same time.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

I do consider MSG a junk food (that's not to say I haven't eaten my fair share of it - love me some Chinese food and am a reforming chip-freak ).

MSG -- and its other common variants like hydrolized vegetable protein, yeast extracts, etc -- is an excitotoxin that causes damage to the brain (hypothalamus) and liver.

It damages appetite regulation causing leptin resistence. Leptin is the hormone that controls how much we feel like eating. The fullness and satisfaction that come when you eat is lost when MSG is consumed, leading to an urge to eat that never stops.

That's why it's so hard to have just one chip.

There is plenty of info about MSG on the web. It is most definitely a junk food, IMO.

Don't mean to sound like I'm on my high horse. It's one thing to knowingly eat these things when we binge or cheat. Most processed foods have MSG so we've all eaten it.

But I'm not far enough in denial to tell myself it's healthy.

Last edited by Kaillean; 09-11-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Old 09-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #98

MSG might be a junk seasoning in some opinions, but the claim was that pork rinds are junk food, regardless of seasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
With protein of poor nutritional quality, more fat than (and nearly five times the sodium of) potato chips, pork rinds meet the common criteria for junk food.
No mention of MSG or bbq flavor, or any other seasoning other than salt. It's the food itself that's being questioned.

If a person were allergic to cheese, then cheese flavored pork rind would be a problem, but not the pork rind itself.

The seasoning is not the food. and I don't think anyone is claiming that pork rinds or MSG are healthy, just healthier alternatives to chips and high sodium seasoning.

Last edited by metqa; 09-11-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Metga - I was responding to your post that you shake an MSG-based flavoring on all of your meals.

I am not saying plain pork rinds are the devil. I'm saying flavored pork rinds have a lot of junk flavorings that can undermine weight loss goals and good health.

You said you have no problem with MSG and shake it on all your meals. I said ACK! to that is all.

Edited to add: On the plain rinds, some people will still consider them junk food, given their limited nutritional value. It's one thing to use them as a snack and another to incorporate them into a lot of daily recipes. Empty calories are still empty calories whether they are high or low carb.

I just can't see how eating half a bag of pork rinds could be as good as eating the same amount of fat in the form of whipping cream on berries or olive oil drizzled over a fresh green salad. It's one thing to think of them as an occasional crunchy snack to stay sane and another to view them as an LC staple food.

Last edited by Kaillean; 09-11-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #100

Quote:
Metga - I was responding to your post that you shake an MSG-based flavoring on all of your meals.

I am not saying plain pork rinds are the devil. I'm saying flavored pork rinds have a lot of junk flavorings that can undermine weight loss goals and good health.

You said you have no problem with MSG and shake it on all your meals. I said ACK! to that is all.

Edited to add: On the plain rinds, some people will still consider them junk food, given their limited nutritional value. It's one thing to use them as a snack and another to incorporate them into a lot of daily recipes. Empty calories are still empty calories whether they are high or low carb.

I just can't see how eating half a bag of pork rinds could be as good as eating the same amount of fat in the form of whipping cream on berries or olive oil drizzled over a fresh green salad. It's one thing to think of them as an occasional crunchy snack to stay sane and another to view them as an LC staple food.

Actually,I never said that I, nor do I, "shake it on all of my meals" That's an absolute statement that you inferred.

I was saying that when I do use it, it doesn't turn my meal into junk food. I actually use it very little if at all, I prefer to use herbs and spices and such, but if I have a dish where I want the flavor of the simple meat to come out without adding a lot of salt or other seasoning, I will use the Accent, because it takes much less of that to get the same taste as salt, with much less sodium total.

Next, People consider flour to be a staple and incorporate it into a lot of daily recipes all the time. They put it into gravy, they bake it into bread, they bake it into pastries and puddings, and desserts and pancakes and waffles, they coat meat with it, they deep fry veggies dredge in the crumbs of it. Now , just because someone bakes salty brown sugar crackers with it, doesn't mean that the ingredient qualifies as junk for all purposes. Pork Rinds can be eaten as a snack, like crackers or chips, or it can be used as a vehicle for soup or dips like bread or toast, and it can be used a breading like flour or panko bread crumbs, yet I don't see anyone claiming that flour should not be considered a high carb staple because of it's empty calories.

In addition, Shirataki noodles have ZERO calories, and ZERO nutrition, does that make them junk food? they are most empty calories possible next to water, except for the fact they have no calories, no vitamins, no minerals, except for the calcium lime used to solidify them. Why are miracle noodles not also junk food?

it's because it is not salty, sweet or crunchy, and otherwise bland unappetizing food, that no one would choose to eat without added seasonings.

Junk = Salty, sweet, and or crunchy

Last edited by metqa; 09-11-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

I've never tried "miracle noodles" but if they have no nutritional value, they're getting pretty close to junk food territory in my book. MSG goes a step further because not only does it not add to health it takes away from health.

Sorry If I said all meals -- you said you shake it on your homemade food. Didn't mean to infer. But you did sound like you were defending it. I continue to stand by my opinion that MSG is BAD for your health in any quantities.

When I eat Chinese in a place that doesn't offer MSG-free, and I have, I do so knowing that I am negatively impacting my health.

I have nothing against anyone's choices -- but let's be honest about what we put into our bodies.

Flour is another one - it may not be very good for us -- but a piece of fish with a bit of flour breading is still going to be healthier than a piece of fish in pork rinds sprinkled with MSG on top.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #102

Quote:
Flour is another one - it may not be very good for us -- but a piece of fish with a bit of flour breading is still going to be healthier than a piece of fish in pork rinds sprinkled with MSG on top.
Not to the person allergic to flour gluten. and as said before, not all pork rinds have MSG.
So the pork rind coated fish would be healthier to the person who can't eat flour but can eat pork.

Last edited by metqa; 09-11-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Old 09-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #103

Quote:
I've never tried "miracle noodles" but if they have no nutritional value, they're getting pretty close to junk food territory in my book.
If miracle noodles are junk food, then water is junk food, because it is 99.99% water, plus calcium.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

And if you had a fish allergy you'd die from all of it. LOL.

Now you are just splitting hairs.

Enjoy your pork rinds and your MSG! I think we've both made our points. No offense intended. To each his own.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #105

Quote:
And if you had a fish allergy you'd die from all of it. LOL.
Or high blood pressure or being Kosher!!! No Pork Allowed!
I will enjoy my pork rinds with or without MSG.
I actually use more mushrooms, soy sauce, hard cheese, meats, and other glutamate rich foods more than MSG, but I get your point....

Last edited by metqa; 09-11-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nancy E.
Stats: 160/122/115
WOE: Low Carb - my plan - still learning
Start Date: July, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pati View Post
I can not quite recall ever seeing fake poork rinds.

I don't see pork rinds as 'processed" unless you count deep frying as processing. In which case I guess you would eat all your foods raw? The ones I buy have only fried pork skin and salt. (From Aldi's) Funny though that it doesn't say what it's fried in. Junk? I don't really care. They're yummy, they satisfy a craving and keep me from eating something carbier. To those of you that won't eat them - Hooray!! More for the rest of us who don't live by such high standards.
Agree totally! Everyone, do what is best for you on your plan, I was not eating processed foods, thus got a warning about dangerous sodium levels. As I was getting my blood test after adding Sodium for a week, the nurse taking my blood said, "just eat a bag of chips", really? All of us are different, I am going to eat the pork rinds to get my salt intake, please don't judge others.
Nancy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #107

Wow, Nancy, Your sodium was too LOW???
Old 09-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #108

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Ah, there is the "problem"... I didn't think "we" were talking about those. Seems half of us are talking about pork rinds, and half of us are talking about flavored pork rinds when I read the OP, I am automatically thinking plain ol' pork rinds....
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Nancy -- was anyone talking about salt?

I for one am a salt fiend. Love my salty bacon, my salty olives, my salty pickles, etc.

Salt is essential on LC, not so much MSG and food with limited nutritional value.

No one's judging anyone. Just raising objection to the notion that pork rinds--especially flavored ones--are some sort of healthy LC staple food.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #110
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Just a note on the topic of MSG - it may be interesting to know that it is often hidden in the list of ingredients under some of these names:

Names of ingredients that always contain processed free glutamic acid:

Glutamic acid (E 620)2
Glutamate (E 620)
Monosodium glutamate (E 621)
Monopotassium glutamate (E 622)
Calcium glutamate (E 623)
Monoammonium glutamate (E 624)
Magnesium glutamate (E 625)
Natrium glutamate
Anything “hydrolyzed”
Any “hydrolyzed protein”
Calcium caseinate, Sodium caseinate
Yeast extract, Torula yeast
Yeast food, Yeast nutrient
Autolyzed yeast
Gelatin
Textured protein
Whey protein
Whey protein concentrate
Whey protein isolate
Soy protein
Soy protein concentrate
Soy protein isolate
Anything “protein”
Anything “protein fortified”
Soy sauce
Soy sauce extract
Protease
Anything “enzyme modified”
Anything containing “enzymes”
Anything “fermented”
Vetsin
Ajinomoto
Umami

Here is the source of this info and more, if interested.

Hidden Sources of MSG

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

My HC vice was Hickory Sticks. OMG. These things are evil and full of MSG. I could hoover through a family size bag, no problemo.

Seriously, they are SO addictive. The next day I would be pissed off as all hell and bloated like a whale. But oh, how I loved them.

I will miss you forever, my skinny little friends.

Last edited by Kaillean; 09-11-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #112

I've seen those before, What exactly ARE those!!

The OP, Contributer, mentioned Salt when she was classifying pork rinds as a junk food.

Quote:
With protein of poor nutritional quality, more fat than (and nearly five times the sodium of) potato chips, pork rinds meet the common criteria for junk food.
Why do you keep saying that we are saying pork rinds are some kind of health food? We are just saying its a suitable low carb substitute for high carb snacks and staples like crumb breading and chips.

Last edited by metqa; 09-11-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Just julienned potato chips basically -- but with fake hickory seasoning, and MSG in about 59 different forms. Honestly, there is so much MSG you can NOT stop eating them. Just like a lab rat.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #114

So it's potato sticks? like dehydrated french fries? Okay!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Nancy -- was anyone talking about salt?

I for one am a salt fiend. Love my salty bacon, my salty olives, my salty pickles, etc.

Salt is essential on LC, not so much MSG and food with limited nutritional value.

No one's judging anyone. Just raising objection to the notion that pork rinds--especially flavored ones--are some sort of healthy LC staple food.
Nope not judging at all......did not mean to come across that way, some of us, (me), cut it out of my life, was told to drink a teaspoon of salt everyday, just finding it in different things that I like. All of our bodies are different, with different needs, thought maybe I could be of help learning from the best on this board since 2001. Never going to give advice.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I've seen those before, What exactly ARE those!!

The OP, Contributer, mentioned Salt when she was classifying pork rinds as a junk food.

Why do you keep saying that we are saying pork rinds are some kind of health food? We are just saying its a suitable low carb substitute for high carb snacks and staples like crumb breading and chips.
Thank you!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy E. View Post
Nope not judging at all......did not mean to come across that way, some of us, (me), cut it out of my life, was told to drink a teaspoon of salt everyday, just finding it in different things that I like. All of our bodies are different, with different needs, thought maybe I could be of help learning from the best on this board since 2001. Never going to give advice.
Wow, that's really fascinating to me. especially with all the PSA telling people to avoid salt/sodium all the time. I have a friend who salts his pizza, burger, home cooked food, everything. I think he'll never have low sodium. We convinced him to try sea salt and himalayian pink salts, and even seaweed flakes, he likes them all. His oven baked kale chips are super salty as well, and he drenches them in oil rather than tosses them.. I guess they would be junk food by that standard. Oily, and salty and crunchy! Did you have any ..."life improvements" when you added more salt into your diet?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Wow, that's really fascinating to me. especially with all the PSA telling people to avoid salt/sodium all the time. I have a friend who salts his pizza, burger, home cooked food, everything. I think he'll never have low sodium. We convinced him to try sea salt and himalayian pink salts, and even seaweed flakes, he likes them all. His oven baked kale chips are super salty as well, and he drenches them in oil rather than tosses them.. I guess they would be junk food by that standard. Oily, and salty and crunchy! Did you have any ..."life improvements" when you added more salt into your diet?
I will let you know, still waiting on results from blood test, I had limited basically all processed foods, thinking it was a good thing. All of my lab tests were perfect, low sodium was very concerning to them, the good news my Doctor is low carb and very supportive. I since have read a lot on this board different ways to add sodium in, I feel everything is going to be okay.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #119
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
My neighbor is on disability right now, recovering from a seizure that left him paralyzed a few weeks ago. Turns out the seizure was caused by low sodium and potassium. That was the only thing wrong with him. He doesn't even eat low carb.

We who stay in ketosis need even more sodium and potassium and other electrolytes than people who are not in ketosis. Cutting salt consumption while eating LC is exactly the opposite of what one should be doing.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I make it a point to put between 1/8 and 1/2 tsp. of Celtic Sea Salt on everything I eat. I probably get at least 1 tsp. per day, and sometimes more. My family thinks I am crazy, because everyone knows that salt is bad for you. grrr.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote