Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callmemargie
Stats: 184/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/30/11
Quote:
WELCOME BACK!!!!!
Thank you!! I NEVER thought I would miss Texas as much as I do, especially the thunderstorms!!

Quote:
AND our town has three hispanic stores that make them while you wait.
Ahhhh La Azteca in my hometown, they make fresh pork rinds and have the MOST amazing fresh chicken and beef fajita meat. I will definitely be hitting it up when I get home!! I miss Mexican food!! Cali Mexican is just not the same
callmemargie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
Finally went to get pork rinds b/c you are all making me hungry, and I've never tried them before, and my grocery store didn't carry ANY, not even in the Goya brand aisle. Darn you, Giant food stores!!!!! Don't mess with a hungry girl on a low carb diet in need of salty snacks! I was proud though, that I walked through the chip/pretzel aisle and didn't grab something else instead!
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
The Lowery's microwave pork rinds are awesome, but someone did point out that they contain MSG.

I bought some of the plain ones and popped them up last night, poured them out on a paper plate and sprinkled some of the Nacho cheese powder on them and they were great. My husband and I ate them with some homemade "Clean out the Refrigerator" vegetable soup.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmiejean
Stats: 218/209 /160
WOE: My own thing
Start Date: July 18, 2012
I use Linda Sue's Cream Taco Soup as a "dip" for them. Having a chicken "dip" made with a shredded chicken thigh, salami, provolone cheese, bacon and sour cream for lunch.

I did have a hard time finding them last night! The store i went to said that they had such a "high" demand for them that they moved to an end cap at the end of the aisle. thought that was funny. They now have their own place in the world!
kimmiejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Paul
Yeeehah!!

I don't actually like the taste of pork rinds by themselves, but I discovered an absolutely amazing ketogenic cocktail: Pork rinds and homemade onion dip (Lipton's Onion Soup Mix and sour cream). Although, you do have to watch the carbs a little if you are on Induction, as well as be aware of the calories if you are prone to taking in too many. However, I found that 1/4 cup of onion dip and an ounce and a half of por rinds are an awesome snacky kind of meal.

The numbers are 480 calories and 6 grams of carbs.

My problem, however, is I have to force myself to stop! lol With my appetite, I can polish of a whole back of pork rinds (3 ounces) and easily 8 to 10 ounces of onion dip, which would being me to upwards of 1,100 calories and 15 grams of carbs in one sitting.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiejean View Post
I use Linda Sue's Cream Taco Soup as a "dip" for them. Having a chicken "dip" made with a shredded chicken thigh, salami, provolone cheese, bacon and sour cream for lunch.

I did have a hard time finding them last night! The store i went to said that they had such a "high" demand for them that they moved to an end cap at the end of the aisle. thought that was funny. They now have their own place in the world!
pork rinds must be in high demand in my area, everytime, i go to walmart, the shelf is empty, except for the bbq flavor, which i stay away from, i think there are to many additives in those---i have to by several bags when i do find them

this dip sounds delicous, will have to try
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mary Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiejean View Post
We sometimes go to a town by the name of CANTON. And they have Canton Trade Days...Kinda like a huge flea market except better!

I try to buy the fresh ones there. The taste is AMAZING!!!!! They have giant bags for $3.00. I don't go very often but that's one of the places that i stop at when I do go.
Our Texas HEB grocery stores carry some huge ones near the deli that are great and cost $2.98. They are a junk food, but most people are human, and occassionally want a treat, and if it is legal, why not? Good luck to all!
Mary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #68
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I consider pork rinds to be LC processed junk food. I don't eat processed foods so the carb count is not a factor.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/185.5/165
WOE: Atkins/Paleo
Start Date: Restart: October 12, 2014
Count me among the few who avoid these things. I can see that the ones fresh from the carniceria might be okay...but I've never found any of the packaged ones that aren't loaded up with chemicals and crap.

I tried them once or twice on my last go-around during desperate snack cravings and they did stall me (probably the sodium). I find the less I indulge in processed foods, LC or not, the better.

Note to those who say their brand does not have MSG. Be aware that MSG goes by many, many names and sometimes you'll find it listed several times in various ways on a label, which is super gross when you think how much you're getting. Here is a list of the all of the hidden sources of MSG.

Mini goal 1: Onederland by October 27 (Met Oct 24!! )
Mini goal 2: 189 by November 30 (Met Dec 3!! )
Mini goal 3: 184 by December 30!
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Pork rinds are processed?

I suppose they could be. But so can chicken breast, yougurt , potatos, cheese , beef or anything else .

Like anything else--- eat real pork rinds don't eat fake pork rinds. If stuck between fake pork rinds and real potato fries..... Well.... To carb or not to carb ... Or do without(zzzzz)
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I used to eat a whole large bag at a sitting... best to measure a portion than snack from the bag!
Lately I've been covering a large dinner plate or large cereal bowl... 1 deep with my favorite pork rinds. I spray lightly with a no carb cooking spray then I use a shaker to shake cinnamon & Splenda (my choice of sweetener, use your own) in an old cinnamon shaker. I find them very tasty and can stop after one bowl. Satisfies my need for something crunchy.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I don't consider them to be healthy at all- to me they are the low carb equivalent to potato chips. They are very processed, have negligible nutrients, and are very calorific. Nuts are such a much better snack.
I have to agree. I see them as low carb potato chips and when I *really* want the greasy, salty, crunchy, they hit the spot...but I don't keep them in the house and only buy a small bag when I'm really wanting that treat and treat means 'rarely'.

I've tried them as breading but wasn't impressed.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I can polish of a whole back of pork rinds (3 ounces) and easily 8 to 10 ounces of onion dip, which would being me to upwards of 1,100 calories and 15 grams of carbs in one sitting.
Yep...me too. That's why I only buy the small bags. My sister introduced me to microwaveable pork rinds. They work just like the microwave popcorn and OMG are they fantastic! I may never eat the others again!
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #74
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
adding a comment here, since people are reading about pork rinds...

I see people talking about pulverizing them to use as breading or filler in things like meatloaf.

I also find that most packages have about 2/3 nice flat crisp pieces and 1/3 weird sort of rolled up harder pieces. I have been known to toss those out to avoid breaking a tooth.

But now I realize I should stash the hard clumpy ones till I need to grind some up and use those. Duh.

hope this idea is helpful to others!
seriously, watch out, cause even pulverized, these little nipples ( as my friends call them) will still crack a tooth, just throw them out to be safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
In previous generations and currently in other countries, we ate/eat snout to tail. If it's an animal product in my humble opinion, it's not a junk food.

Utz brand uses no hydrogenated oils.

The best form of collagen is delivered via pig feet. Vegetable fat provides very little collagen.
Exactly! Is chicken skin considered a junk food? Just because we removed the skin and cooked and ate it seperately it's somehow NOT food but junk? Oi, This is what is wrong with the first world these days.

Seriously, though, if someone is using pork rinds as their ONLY source of protein, THEN I might be concerned, but it's the covering of the living pig that we just ate!
We might as well call bone broth junk food since it provides not proteinn nor fat, but only gelatin which is not a complete nutrient, Oh Noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post

I suppose they could be. But so can chicken breast, yougurt , potatos, cheese , beef or anything else .

Like anything else--- eat real pork rinds don't eat fake pork rinds. If stuck between fake pork rinds and real potato fries..... Well.... To carb or not to carb ... Or do without(zzzzz)
All of my pork rinds are pork skin and salt, and sometimes other flavoring ingredients. I've never seen a "fake" pork rind, but I guess if you put the wrong seasoning on it it it becomes imaginary! my Bf calls my oopsies fake buns or "unbuns", so I even though they are real food, they are somehow fake food!

Besides that, I lost the link, but someone did an analysis of pork rinds and said it had a profile similar to steak as far as fat and protein, but until I find it , don't quote me on that.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 09-10-2013 at 12:27 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #75
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
^^ Good post!

If the notion that a food is processed and therefore junk, that will leave off a lot of great foods such as chocolate, just about any dairy, coffee, sausage, bacon, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, olives, sauerkraut, kimchi, roasted nuts, chicken liver pate... you get the idea.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/185.5/165
WOE: Atkins/Paleo
Start Date: Restart: October 12, 2014
But don't you think there's a difference between "processed" olive oil and pork rinds flavored with MSG, corn syrup solids and such?

I say of course there is! If you are watching the guy at your local carniceria fry up pork fat in front of your eyes and add a little salt and pepper before serving to you, that's a very different proposition than opening a chip bag full of the pork and loads of extra additives.

Not ALL pork rinds have these, but many of the flavored ones do. And there are almost always some type of preservative. So it's just about making good choices.
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #77
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Olive oil can be highly processed with chemicals and blended with other less desirable oils. It is about paying attention to what the food is with attention to detail. This is true of pretty much all foods. Quality is key. To dismiss a food as junk on the basis of being 'processed' is short sighted in my opinion.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #78

Gallery: Pati
Stats: Highest 280/LC start-222/(on the YoYo)/150 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb (Diabetic) (mostly. :/)
Start Date: 8/26/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post

I can not quite recall ever seeing fake poork rinds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Olive oil can be highly processed with chemicals and blended with other less desirable oils. It is about paying attention to what the food is with attention to detail. This is true of pretty much all foods. Quality is key. To dismiss a food as junk on the basis of being 'processed' is short sighted in my opinion.

I don't see pork rinds as 'processed" unless you count deep frying as processing. In which case I guess you would eat all your foods raw? The ones I buy have only fried pork skin and salt. (From Aldi's) Funny though that it doesn't say what it's fried in. Junk? I don't really care. They're yummy, they satisfy a craving and keep me from eating something carbier. To those of you that won't eat them - Hooray!! More for the rest of us who don't live by such high standards.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I have never seen pork rinds without lots of additives, especially msg. And, that is what makes them junky- the added ingredients plus some of them are fried in hydrogenated oil = trans fats.

If you are getting the fresh ones and they only have salt/pepper, then that's a totally different story.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Anyone ever make their own pork rinds? They will change your life! They are just that amazing!

They're great for snacking although I haven't had good luck with using the homemade ones crushed up for "breading" on chicken.

Last edited by evas; 09-10-2013 at 06:40 PM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Unless one is buying flavored pork rinds (which I don't) they all have two ingredients: pork skin and salt. If no oil is specified, they are fried in lard, from the pig whence they came. I don't see how there is any packaged food much less processed than pork rinds.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't really worry about what other people consider junk.

Pork rinds aren't junk food in my lexicon, but they are snack food. That doesn't make them good or bad, just a snack that happens to be very low carb and surprisingly versatile.

Even though I grew up eating them as a kid in New England, I tend to use them as "breading" more than eating them on their own, simply because I'm not a big snacker. I now live in the land of freshly made pork rinds and chicharrones, and I buy those as well as the packaged brands.

If you choose not to eat them, good for you. If you choose to feel superior about it, I can't get behind that.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
My problem with PR's is the amount of sodium and msg. Besides that they're edible with a diet pop.
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #84

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I'm surprised how many people are claiming that pork rinds have msg and other junk in them. Add me as another who says I have never seen a bag of "regular" or "plain" (not flavored with chili-lime, bbq, etc) pork rinds that had anything other than pork skin and salt.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!

Me neither.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay, since I had a bag in the cupboard, I thought I'd take a look. Nope. Pork rinds and salt, just like always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5363.jpg (40.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5364.jpg (47.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #87

Gallery: Pati
Stats: Highest 280/LC start-222/(on the YoYo)/150 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb (Diabetic) (mostly. :/)
Start Date: 8/26/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Okay, since I had a bag in the cupboard, I thought I'd take a look. Nope. Pork rinds and salt, just like always.

Yep, no MSG or other processing junk in mine either.

This is hilarious... who'da thunk we'd get this many posts over pork skin and salt?
Pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Right?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #89

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I guess if people assume it's junk, then it must be assumed that it also contains undesirable ingredients ( even if it doesn't) . Makes it easier to "decide" that it is junk, especially if they have no idea about the actual ingredients or properties. Look at what was said about coconut oil, eggs, lard ...pick your high fat food and someone has, at some point in recent history, called it Junk without any evidence that it is actually harmful.

I saw a review on amazon of a magnesium product where someone thought they got the wrong product then ranted that the "wrong product" had MSM in it which caused him to have severe allergy pain. In fact, the ingredient list plainly listed the active ingredient and water only, and,as pointed out by the companies response, NONE of the companies products contain any MSM. This person wanted to reject the product and made up an added ingredient to justify his rejection of the product.

Pork Rind = Pork skin and Salt.
If you buy flavors, then flavoring ingredients are what you are eating, but that doesn't change the fact that pork rinds are just pork skin and salt.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I'll jump in and say that I, too, do not understand why people on this thread are calling pork rinds "junk food" with additives, etc.

Plain pork rinds are not junk food and do not have additives. To the people who are saying they are junk food, is it because you are looking at the flavored ones?
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote