LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Contributor
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Love these things. The other day I melted cheddar cheese over them and then topped them with salsa. Tasted so much like nacho chips. Yummo
Yum. Will defintely try that one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
Hi Contributor,

The selling point for me is 0 net carbs. My favorite is Frito-Lay’s Hot’n Spicy. I open the bag, add ¼ cup cheese powder and shake. I use them infrequently, about ½ serving, when I ‘just need something crunchy’…not like in the old days when I could consume Frito’s or Potato Chips a whole bag at a time… ;-)

Welcome to our board!
Thanks. I used to eat them occasionally but gave them up when I was on a low-fat diet. Now I'm on low carb i'm loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I just want to say that Wikipedia is an AWESOME source of information, usually head and shoulders above what you can easily find elsewhere on the internet. There were a few cases of malicious editing for political reasons, but that is under control now. If someone enters something spurious, it's usually removed within hours, since there are so many people reading everything on there...
Totally agree. I just meant that, seeing it can be edited by anyone not everything should be taken as gospel. 99% or more of the information is good it's just you wouldn't quote wikipedia as a reference in a college report. lol
Contributor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laffin
Stats: 329.8/215.8/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/7/2011
I like eating them with dips and salsa but I tend to avoid them because of the amount of sodium. If I could find a brand that made them without any added salt, I'd stock up.
laffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chelveston
WOE: whole foods
Start Date: restart Jan '09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contributor View Post

With protein of poor nutritional quality, more fat than (and nearly five times the sodium of) potato chips, pork rinds meet the common criteria for junk food.
Well, those pork rinds "with protein of poor nutritional quality" are a good source of gelatin, which does all sorts of good things for our bodies.

A shift in amino acid balance just may be what you need. | HoldTheToast! by Dana Carpender

IMO, the sodium is a non-issue. Unless you're one of the small percentage of people with sodium sensitive hypertension, you're worrying unnecessarily.

Science -- Taubes 281 (5379): 898

Quote:
...While the government has been denouncing salt as a health hazard for decades, no amount of scientific effort has been able to dispense with the suspicions that it is not. Indeed, the controversy over the benefits, if any, of salt reduction now constitutes one of the longest running, most vitriolic, and surreal disputes in all of medicine.

On the one side are those experts--primarily physicians turned epidemiologists, and administrators such as Roccella and Claude Lenfant, head of NHLBI--who insist that the evidence that salt raises blood pressure is effectively irrefutable. They have an obligation, they say, to push for universal salt reduction, because people are dying and will continue to die if they wait for further research to bring scientific certainty. On the other side are those researchers--primarily physicians turned epidemiologists, including former presidents of the American Heart Association, the American Society of Hypertension, and the European and international societies of hypertension--who argue that the data supporting universal salt reduction have never been compelling, nor has it ever been demonstrated that such a program would not have unforeseen negative side effects.
and
Quote:
That raises the second noteworthy aspect of the controversy: After decades of intensive research, the apparent benefits of avoiding salt have only diminished. This suggests either that the true benefit has now been revealed and is indeed small, or that it is nonexistent, and researchers believing they have detected such benefits have been deluded by the confounding influences of other variables. (These might include genetic variability; socioeconomic status; obesity; level of physical exercise; intake of alcohol, fruits and vegetables, or dairy products; or any number of other factors.)

The controversy itself remains potent because even a small benefit--one clinically meaningless to any single patient--might have a major public health impact. This is a principal tenet of public health: Small effects can have important consequences over entire populations. If by eating less salt, the world's population reduced its average blood pressure by a single millimeter of mercury, says Oxford University epidemiologist Richard Peto, that would prevent several hundred thousand deaths a year: "It would do more for worldwide deaths than the abolition of breast cancer." But even that presupposes the 1-millimeter drop can be achieved by avoiding salt. "We have to be sure that 1- or 2-millimeter effect is real," says John Swales, former director of research and development for Britain's National Health Service and a clinician at the Leicester Royal Infirmary. "And we have to be sure we won't have equal and opposite harmful effects."
IMO, unless sodium bothers You, you don't need to restrict it, despite the Public Health warnings.
Chelveston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Love these things. The other day I melted cheddar cheese over them and then topped them with salsa. Tasted so much like nacho chips. Yummo
i put slices of pepperoni on top of a 1/2 dozen pieces or so , then top with monteray jack cheese or cheddar and mike till cheese melts, they are kind of warm, and not quite as crunchy, but so good, sometimes i top with a little sour cream,---- and salsa sounds good also
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #35

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
these were soggier than I would have liked, with just the cheese melted. did you use the microwave or broiler or what?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmiejean
Stats: 218/209 /160
WOE: My own thing
Start Date: July 18, 2012
O.M.G.

Made a smaller version of the pizza dip that's over on the recipe page....Dipped my pork rinds *****SWOON**** ****FAINT****

It was Awesome! I will be having that again SOON!
kimmiejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
these were soggier than I would have liked, with just the cheese melted. did you use the microwave or broiler or what?
I actually sprayed a plate with non-stick spray and melted the cheese and just tipped the plate over the pork rinds letting it ooze over them. Then topped them with salsa
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I don't consider them to be healthy at all- to me they are the low carb equivalent to potato chips. They are very processed, have negligible nutrients, and are very calorific. Nuts are such a much better snack.
i'm in this camp.
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

I would not be where I am without Pork Rinds. They are salty and crunchy and a base for any kind of nacho. They give me that Crunch that I need. I think they should be in their own food group I do count both calories and carbs and I do watch the portion sizes. All I usually eat is 5 to 6 a day. I 'em!!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #40
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I used to have chili and cheese sauce on my pork rinds. For whatever reason, melted cheddar cheese on its own just solidifies into a big mass once it cools, leaving the snacker with a large pork-and-cheese platelet.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: priori
Start Date: 1/15/13
To me, they are junkfood, and not something I would OVERindulge in. However, if they help me stay on plan and have 0 carbs, I don't mind it!
priori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #42

Gallery: fawn
I too love the collagen aspect. Do some research on the benefits of gelatin as Chelveston has done......you might just change your mind about them being "junk food".

My personal issue with them is never being able to locate organic sustainably raised pork rinds......
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #43

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
to those commenting how highly processed they are... can you explain? If they dont have the "flavorings" on them (just salt) then I would not consider them to be junk. I have watched the carneceria I frequent make them... they take pork skin and when they throw it in the fryer it puffs up. What's so overly processed about that? Same as throwing plain chicken wings in the frier only they behave differently (don't expand like that)

Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
to those commenting how highly processed they are... can you explain? If they dont have the "flavorings" on them (just salt) then I would not consider them to be junk. I have watched the carneceria I frequent make them... they take pork skin and when they throw it in the fryer it puffs up. What's so overly processed about that? Same as throwing plain chicken wings in the frier only they behave differently (don't expand like that)

but those are fresh made, most are getting them packaged and fried in partially hydrogenated oils, along with ingredients like maltodexterin, msg, dexterin, corn starch, flavors, etc. (depends on brand)

I also don't think absorbing collagen from food is as efficient as taking in nutrients that promote your own body to make collagen.

They also don't have much in the way of nutrients and you can get collagen promoting nutrients in foods like green leafy vegetables, high proline and lysine foods like eggs, foods with lots of c vitamin, etc.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #45

Quote:
but those are fresh made, most are getting them packaged and fried in partially hydrogenated oils, along with ingredients like maltodexterin, msg, dexterin, corn starch, flavors, etc. (depends on brand)

I also don't think absorbing collagen from food is as efficient as taking in nutrients that promote your own body to make collagen.

They also don't have much in the way of nutrients and you can get collagen promoting nutrients in foods like green leafy vegetables, high proline and lysine foods like eggs, foods with lots of c vitamin, etc.
The carneceria uses lard. I don't eat pork rinds alot just 'cause they aren't my favorite thing haha I do use them occationally with tuna salad. I also dont get the flavored ones... I either get them at the carneceria or the PLAIN bagged ones which just have:

Ingredients: Pork rinds, salt.

I stay away from the flavored ones but I guess those are the ones that have msg and stuff
Old 04-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
The carneceria uses lard. I don't eat pork rinds alot just 'cause they aren't my favorite thing haha I do use them occationally with tuna salad. I also dont get the flavored ones... I either get them at the carneceria or the PLAIN bagged ones which just have:

Ingredients: Pork rinds, salt.

I stay away from the flavored ones but I guess those are the ones that have msg and stuff
Do a lot of hispanic places make them fresh? I have never seen them being made fresh. I would try those

I know there are brands that are better but it seems like most of them have soybean/canola oil or msg and are not fried in lard.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #47

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
adding a comment here, since people are reading about pork rinds...

I see people talking about pulverizing them to use as breading or filler in things like meatloaf.

I also find that most packages have about 2/3 nice flat crisp pieces and 1/3 weird sort of rolled up harder pieces. I have been known to toss those out to avoid breaking a tooth.

But now I realize I should stash the hard clumpy ones till I need to grind some up and use those. Duh.

hope this idea is helpful to others!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessinwa
Stats: 256/190.8/120
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 7/11
I too enjoy a bag or so of pork rinds a week. Good idea about saving the hard ones, I was tossing those too.

Nuts are good snack, but when you are limited to only a few because the rest of your carbs are going to veggies or cheese in salads or meals - when it comes to snack time and serious munchies pork rinds do the trick!
jessinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #49

Quote:
Do a lot of hispanic places make them fresh? I have never seen them being made fresh. I would try those

I know there are brands that are better but it seems like most of them have soybean/canola oil or msg and are not fried in lard.
Ya alot of carnecerias that sell cooked meats like carnitas (fried pork meat) will sell pork rinds they make fresh I am in southern california so there are lots of traditional authentic mexican carnecerias around.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AggieTerr
Stats: 370+/185/170
Start Date: April 2001
We have a Latino grocery around the corner -- talk about pork rinds -- when you order, you pick the flavor then stand there and watch as they season and fry them -- yum!

As for commercial brands -- Macs salt and vinegar is my favorite -- but I like the rest too. They fill my crunch cravings every time.

I even smuggle a bag into the theater when we go to movies -- the people around me have their popcorn, but I get a flavorful crunch too -- one that isn't widening my hips.
AggieTerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ketoseph
Stats: 310/249.9/220 - 6'7"
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: 1/16/2011
The idea of pork rinds make me want to hurl. I just can't bring myself to even buy them. :/
Ketoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketoseph View Post
The idea of pork rinds make me want to hurl. I just can't bring myself to even buy them. :/

Neither could I when I first started but over the course I have learned to like them, they make good snacks and vehicle for all sorts of things like Tuna or Chicken Salad or even LC Dips.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

i think *my* biggest issue with pork rinds and why i view them as a junk food is because they are replacing a junk food for a lot of people. for myself and many others like me, it wasn't just the food that was a problem, it was the behaviours. so imo, replacing chips/popcorn/whatever your afternoon or evening tv snack was with pork rinds, isn't necessarily changing the habits that got you where you were in the first place.

it's not like i have an anti-pork rind view, i just tend to have this opinion on all lc subs. i think they can and do all have their place in a lifestyle just as long as they are treated more as a "junk" type food or treat and not as a daily thing.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callmemargie
Stats: 184/178/145
Start Date: 4/30/11
Quote:
We sometimes go to a town by the name of CANTON. And they have Canton Trade Days...Kinda like a huge flea market except better!
I am moving back to Texas in July and I had no idea they sell fresh pork rinds there!!! Mom and I will be making a mini road trip, plus... Canton is awesome, that's where she got her dog! lol
callmemargie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #55

Gallery: fawn
In previous generations and currently in other countries, we ate/eat snout to tail. If it's an animal product in my humble opinion, it's not a junk food.

Utz brand uses no hydrogenated oils.

The best form of collagen is delivered via pig feet. Vegetable fat provides very little collagen.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #56
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeAmy View Post
i think *my* biggest issue with pork rinds and why i view them as a junk food is because they are replacing a junk food for a lot of people. for myself and many others like me, it wasn't just the food that was a problem, it was the behaviours. so imo, replacing chips/popcorn/whatever your afternoon or evening tv snack was with pork rinds, isn't necessarily changing the habits that got you where you were in the first place.

it's not like i have an anti-pork rind view, i just tend to have this opinion on all lc subs. i think they can and do all have their place in a lifestyle just as long as they are treated more as a "junk" type food or treat and not as a daily thing.
Well said and I couldn't agree more! Back in 'the day' when I first started l/cing one of the principle notions was that things like pork rinds and desserts were for rare special occasions or more often once in maintenance.

Thread jack... Amy, I see by your stats that you have accomplished your goal and then some!!!! Congratulations and you look amazing.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #57
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
In previous generations and currently in other countries, we ate/eat snout to tail. If it's an animal product in my humble opinion, it's not a junk food.

Utz brand uses no hydrogenated oils.

The best form of collagen is delivered via pig feet. Vegetable fat provides very little collagen.
Agreed^^! Most of us have no problem eating a hot dog - need I say more?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Well said and I couldn't agree more! Back in 'the day' when I first started l/cing one of the principle notions was that things like pork rinds and desserts were for rare special occasions or more often once in maintenance.

Thread jack... Amy, I see by your stats that you have accomplished your goal and then some!!!! Congratulations and you look amazing.
:blush: thanks!!

i'm glad you understand! i really don't want to come off like i'm the food police! believe me...i've had my fair share of food indiscretions i just am of the school of thought that no matter which woe you choose be it Atkins or WW, if you're going to replace one kind "junk" for another, you aren't going to meet your goals.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by priori View Post
To me, they are junkfood, and not something I would OVERindulge in. However, if they help me stay on plan and have 0 carbs, I don't mind it!
I agree with this. I LOVE them, but only indulge sporadically.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemargie View Post
I am moving back to Texas in July and I had no idea they sell fresh pork rinds there!!! Mom and I will be making a mini road trip, plus... Canton is awesome, that's where she got her dog! lol
WELCOME BACK!!!!!

I don't go very often but I have found two vendors there that sell FRESH pork rinds. they are awesome!!!!!

AND our town has three hispanic stores that make them while you wait. I them!