Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WannaGetSmaller
How Do I Restart Low Carb?

Hello all,

I've been on and off low carb for years. The most successful weight loss I had was in 2007 on that very controversial and dangerous variant of low carb dieting, the name of which I won't mention here.

I went from 242 lbs to 196 lbs in just over 2 months. I didn't have bad reactions that I was aware of but got off the diet when I heard all of the negative publicity.

Unfortunately, I was never really able to get back on any diet. I love all foods, especially all sweets, potatoes, pasta, and anything fried with a flour or bread coating.

I am now 253 lbs in spite of having had a LapBand even before I went on that diet.

Also, I'm trying to avoid alternative sweeteners, even agave and stevia, because I heard they have also been used as contraceptives.

I'm trying to eat organically, but I can't find a lot of allowed foods in the organic sections of the store. I can find uncured bacon but not organic bacon. The other meats seem to mention that they have no antibiotics or "added" steroids, but don't say they are organic for some confusing (to me) reason.

When I was able to find some organic chicken, it tasted terrible. No, it wasn't expired, but just tasted horrible and had to be discarded.

Now Jim Perdue has a commercial stating that his chickens are without hormones or steroids, but he doesn't mention that they are organic either.

So I've said all of that just to ask how I can possibly restart and get into ketosis. The only way that I won't be hungry is if I am in very deep ketosis.

I have organic molasses and organic coconut sugar which I guess I can use sparingly, but I know they won't be enough to tame my terrible sweet tooth.

I successfully got off of rice a month ago. I am now off ice cream thanks to Jamie Oliver. I think I am off most bread. I still crave potatoes and pasta badly. I love Dreamfield's pasta, but I'm one of the folks that gets horrible gas from it.

One other note: I can't stand water. The only thing that kept me drinking water on that other diet was Crystal Light, but it has artificial sugar.

I know I mentioned a lot of dietary restrictions, but please help me with some menu ideas to keep my cravings at bay so I can get into ketosis. Once I am in ketosis I think I might be ok again.

Thanks in advance.
WannaGetSmaller is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ketoseph
Stats: 310/249.9/220 - 6'7"
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: 1/16/2011
You gotta stop caring about organic this, organic that... it's limiting you severely. Try to just eat meat, cheese and eggs. And drink water. You can't stop drinking water, you have to force yourself. I did. I hated water, but now I love it.

You'll have to give up sugars... sorry. I know, I can't convince my mother to give these up, and she's still obese. You have to decide what's more important: being thin, or eating stuff that will kill you slowly. Do you want to get smaller, or do you want to continue to stay large, or get bigger?

It's all about making choices. Even if you have to force yourself. That's what I realized after so long, and it's really hard at first, but it becomes easy after a while.

Last edited by Ketoseph; 04-24-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Ketoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsadm
Stats: Way too big/Too big/Much smaller
WOE: Atkins
I agree with ketoseph. I think you are trying too hard to be "correct" in everything; "correct" according to many rule books at once is making it difficult for you. Simplicity in everything. Graduate to organic AFTER you've had some success on low card. (And by the way, "organic" is not well defined by the FDA or anyone else, nor is it a guarantee of good taste.)

Gary Taubes has one of the most simple meal plans I've seen:
Breakfast: 3 eggs, bacon, and sausage
Lunch: 2 cheeseburgers (no buns) or roast chicken
Dinner: steak

I personally would add more vegetables or salad with lunch and dinner.

Good luck!
mrsadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome Wanna! My #1 advice to you would be to select a plan (I like Atkins), get the book and read it from cover to cover. If you can't do that, go on line and pick a plan and get as much information as you can about that specific plan.

Eating organics is great for a number of reasons but it is something that you can learn about and work at after you get your eating plan in place. I would suggest just one thing and that is to buy some grass fed butter (kerrigold) and use that in cooking and as a condiment. Organic molasses and or coconut sugar are a big NO NO - the organic label doesn't change that fact.

This site (LCF) is a fabulous source of information and support. Read, post, and use this to your advantage. Good luck and see you around!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
How do you restart? You just do!!! Make it easy on yourself like others suggested and start by doing the basics. Eggs for breakfast and meat and a veggie for lunch/dinner. That should get you started. After just a few days you will get used to it. And you have to do the water too. I buy the liquid stevia drops in all sorts of flavors and I know that a lot of people add those to the water to make it flavored. I know you said you don't want to use the stevia but it works for me. And I have never heard what you said about stevia---a contraceptive??? Oh my!!! What will they throw out there next Must have been planted from the corn growers--they are trying to let us think that high fructose corn syrup is good, ya know. I think (and the nutritionist we see) that the HFCS is what gave my 10 yr old DD diabetes. We should fear that more than the stevia, in my own opinion.

Also, have you got a health food store around you? I know that mine has raw milk as well as local grass fed meats. I don't have a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods--any kind of corporate health food stores like that in my neighborhood, so if I were you, I would check out the local mom and pop health food store first.

Last edited by dawnyama; 04-25-2011 at 05:53 AM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbPanda86
Stats: 291/221.4/145
Start Date: October 12, 2010 restart January 13, 2013
You are going to have to make some hard choices (I agree 100% w/ everything KetoSteph said). A couple of questions for you:
You hate water?
Do you also hate being big?
Which do you hate more?
Why are you so invested in organic products?
I ask these questions not to be argumentative but to ask you to take a look at what is holding you back.
Weight loss and the path to it is NOT easy, it's not convenient, it's difficult and requires a sound and reliable plan for success.

To answer your question about how to restart LowCarb, that is simple:
KISS: Keep It Simple Sweety
Meat, Eggs, Limited Dairy (only you know your tolerance for dairy), Water (Use Crystal Light if you like, that is certainly better than the massive amount of real sugar you were consuming) and low carb vegetables.

I had a VERY BIG sweet tooth as well, I won't bore you with the details, I'll cut to the chase, that sweet tooth landed me at 291lbs. That said, HARD choices had to be made. This site will be a great resource for you, but in order to reap the benefits you are going to have to take a hard look at your current lifestyle and make the necessary sacrifices to get to where you want to be. I think all these dietary restrictions you have placed on yourself are a result of your subconscious wanting to hold on to your current lifestyle, by making it so seemingly hard to commit to a low carb eating plan that you ultimately quit. Remove these restrictions, get a book, educate yourself, buy your foods, prepare them , eat them, drink water, move your body (Yes, TOTAL exercise endorsement here!) and let those pounds take care of themselves. If you don't your regains will be even more detrimental. Think about it, you started at 242, lost weight and now have regained all back plus 11 pounds, what will happen next time? How many pounds will rejoin you? If that isn't enough to just take the plunge, I don't know what is! We are here to support you, but again I say you MUST do your part.

STAY STRONG OR STAY FAT!

To be a healthier, happier, HOTTER Panda!!!!!AND STAY THAT WAY!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/waWTpVq/weight.png
LowCarbPanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaffodilSoup
Stats: 219 (all-time high)/150.2/140
WOE: HFLC Vegan
Start Date: May 18, 2011
If you are concerned about steroids, etc. in your meat, I'd suggest looking around online for local farms near you. Smaller local farms rarely use the antibiotics/steroids/etc that big corporations do, and it's so much more nutritious!
DaffodilSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
Wow you are kind of all over the place. If you plan on doing Atkins then just do it. Start by reading the book and learning about how it works. You will quickly find that Dreamfields, Mollasses and Coconut Sugar(?) are not allowed.

Pick foods from this list and eat until you are satisfied.
Acceptable Foods List

Eating until you are satisfied will be difficult to figure out at first and if you think are you overeating you might be. However, this is part of the learning process and Atkins done right will eventually help you self limit foods. During induction stressing about it is not something you should focus on. Just get through induction and let the rest take care of itself.

Good Luck

LCF - Journal
The Urban Primate - My Journey to Better Health
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
Keep it simple! Get a good LC book, Atkins, Protein Power, CAD or the like. Don't worry about organic at first, just get in practice in doing it right. Get away from the molasses, dreamfields, etc. They are frankenfoods. Eat clean. Meat, fat, eggs, water, cheese and a few good veggies!

I am sure your past diet started with the big letter "K" we have been there. Just don't overcomplicate it and you will be ok. Baby Steps!
Gweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I know you said you don't want to use the stevia but it works for me. And I have never heard what you said about stevia---a contraceptive??? Oh my!!! What will they throw out there next

Actually, it's true. Native South Americans have been using stevia for a LONG time as a natural contraceptive. My sister is a doula and she did a paper on stevia and its birth control uses for her training.
Catrapoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Say to yourself: " I will remove all obstacles to my success."

I agree with the others that you need to jump in and K.I.S.S. No need to try to invent your own plan at this point- Atkins has already done it for you. Get and read the book, read everything on their website, and throw out all the molasses, agave and sugar laden/high carb foods. You will find that if you commit to a 20gm carb or less induction you will see your sweet tooth go away, get firmly into ketosis and lose some intital pounds to boot!

As you continue to educate yourself you will find that the simple label "organic" may not be particularly what you are seeking in foods anyway- particularly meats. I don't think i have ever seen "organic bacon" either. What are you seeking? Nitrate free? Uncured with no sugars in processing? Bacon from pork that was not commercially farm raised? Like pork that never had any steroids, antibiotics, hormones, or genetically engineered grain? What are you looking for? There is a lot to learn down this path... do you want grass fed pastured beef? or beef that has been grass "finished" (but was fed grains to a point)? I agree with you, the taste of a free range chicken is nothing like factory chicken...

Honestly, at this point since you are asking where to start, I would focus my mental energy on eliminating all sugars/grains and fructose and simply eat the meat, eggs, green/leafy veges suggested in Atkins induction. Remove all obstacles to your success. It is far more important to your health to not eat sugar and pasta, than to not eat commercially farmed meat. Once firmly in ketosis and your low carb WOE, you will have the physiological tools (appetite reduction and sense of satiety from ketosis) working for you to learn what will be the best choices for you out of the multitude of food choices out there. IMO. Best Wishes.

Last edited by Juliemb414; 04-25-2011 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: clarity
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliemb414 View Post
Say to yourself: " I will remove all obstacles to my success."

I agree with the others that you need to jump in and K.I.S.S. No need to try to invent your own plan at this point- Atkins has already done it for you. Get and read the book, read everything on their website, and throw out all the molasses, agave and sugar laden/high carb foods. You will find that if you commit to a 20gm carb or less induction you will see your sweet tooth go away, get firmly into ketosis and lose some intital pounds to boot!

As you continue to educate yourself you will find that the simple label "organic" may not be particularly what you are seeking in foods anyway- particularly meats. I don't think i have ever seen "organic bacon" either. What are you seeking? Nitrate free? Uncured with no sugars in processing? Bacon from pork that was not commercially farm raised? Like pork that never had any steroids, antibiotics, hormones, or genetically engineered grain? What are you looking for? There is a lot to learn down this path... do you want grass fed pastured beef? or beef that has been grass "finished" (but was fed grains to a point)? I agree with you, the taste of a free range chicken is nothing like factory chicken...

Honestly, at this point since you are asking where to start, I would focus my mental energy on eliminating all sugars/grains and fructose and simply eat the meat, eggs, green/leafy veges suggested in Atkins induction. Remove all obstacles to your success. It is far more important to your health to not eat sugar and pasta, than to not eat commercially farmed meat. Once firmly in ketosis and your low carb WOE, you will have the physiological tools (appetite reduction and sense of satiety from ketosis) working for you to learn what will be the best choices for you out of the multitude of food choices out there. IMO. Best Wishes.

^^^This. This is excellent advice!
Catrapoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Wow, thanks guys!

You all are absolutely right. I have to just jump in and do it. It seemed so much easier to do that when I was younger and kept restarting Atkins about 20 times.

I remember once I went to IHOP in ketosis and thought I was being "good" by ordering the bacon, egg, and cheese omelet. Then I got home and wondered why I was out of ketosis and starving. Then I found out they added some type of batter to their eggs. Now I eat at home.

I know the first 2 days used to be the most difficult. Now, it might be that I'll find the first whole week extremely difficult.

I'll stay away from all the franken-foods. I'll forget about the organics for the moment so I don't bring in more stress than necessary. It's too expensive anyway.

I'm just going to jump in with both feet.

Thanks again for the tough love you guys!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Congratulations on trying again!

I, too, had success with low carb and gained that (and more) back.

Here is what I know now. Being fat is hard. I hate the odor, the diminished sex life, the sleep issues, the creaky/hurting body, the clothes.

Any diet plan that "works" is hard. If you choose low carb (or, in the cases of some people, low carb chooses them), you give up pasta, rice, bread, sugar, breading, gravy. It's not easy.

If you choose the low fat/reduced calories, you give up full fat cheese, steak, burgers, bacon, eggs in butter.

There is not an easy path to health and weight loss.

For *me*, I feel better eating low carb. I eat more veggies when I am on it! I'd rather give up ice cream than steak.

Whatever you decide to do, start slow with the changes; don't expect to jump into such a pervasive change and sustain it. If it were me, I'd choose an Atkins induction while I prepared, shopped and read/researched. Oh, wait, that IS me.

No Fat Summer Challenge - Goal: 175 by Summer

March 1 - 205 (going on a vacation in February)
April 1 - 195
May 1 - 187
June 1 - 180
June 21 - 175
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ketoseph
Stats: 310/249.9/220 - 6'7"
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: 1/16/2011
Go ahead and stay away from Stevia, because if it really is a contraceptive, I'd advocate avoiding it. But I'd need some proof (heard it's all bunk, though)
Ketoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hillybean
Stats: 131-(23.21bmi)/126-(22.32bmi)/115-(20.37bmi)
WOE: Low Carb
Good luck! Like everyone else said, the only way to do is to just jump in and get rid of the carbs.
hillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Catrapoin,

If you don't mind my asking, were you in ketosis when you conceived?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
One more word of encouragement...take a minute and think back to 2007. The plan you did back then was hard. There wasn't any pasta, potatoes, sweets or breaded and fried foods allowed. (I'm not saying it's hard to eat that way, I'm just sensing that's how you're feeling about it). To top it off, it was low carb AND low fat AND low calorie (and as we know now, quite dangerous). My point is, you're saying, "how will I ever do this when I love all of these things?" The fact of the matter is, you've already proven that you can do it. Getting (re-)started on a much more healthy and varied low carb plan is certainly within your power.

Best of luck to you!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy

Last edited by Mommie22boys; 04-25-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassieladyAZ
Stats: 171/143.6/133 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: Feb.2010
I have survived this long without focusing on "organics". when I'm doin LC I feel better than I have ever felt!!! And I'm 25lbs lighter!!!
SassieladyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mccb17
Stats: 439/250(met!)/239/235 6'0"
Start Date: 3 January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketoseph View Post
You gotta stop caring about organic this, organic that... it's limiting you severely. Try to just eat meat, cheese and eggs. And drink water. You can't stop drinking water, you have to force yourself. I did. I hated water, but now I love it.

You'll have to give up sugars... sorry. I know, I can't convince my mother to give these up, and she's still obese. You have to decide what's more important: being thin, or eating stuff that will kill you slowly. Do you want to get smaller, or do you want to continue to stay large, or get bigger?

It's all about making choices. Even if you have to force yourself. That's what I realized after so long, and it's really hard at first, but it becomes easy after a while.
Yes, this exactly.

I'll add the the change you choose is going to be difficult. Any change that significantly alters your life will be difficult at least part of the time. If it was easy, you'd have done it years ago.

One thing I had to do before I made a big change was get my head in the right place. I took a long time to do it, and I did it like it was my job. It does no good to make positive changes to your diet and physiology if your head is still filled with all the negative stuff.

Looking over your post, you're focusing almost entirely on the negative-- you're saying what you can't do, what you can't stand, what you can't make work.

Please try to be positive! Try to think about what you'd like to have happen, and think about all the good things that are going to come from your choices. If you don't, any menu plan is going to be miserable and hard.

Good luck!

~35g carbs, 1800-2000 kcal, 2 or 3 cups green vegetables, 6 oz cheese max per day.

Cardio or swimming, 3-4 times per week.
mccb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: houndho
Stats: 232/142/135, 5'9"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: January 1, 2011
Were you trying to do all organic foods on your normal high carb way of eating, too? Because if it just something you decided to do for low carb, seems like it's just an excuse not to do it. I agree with the others, don't worry about organics for now, just get with the program. Then you can start substituting organic foods as you find them.
houndho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
You can do it! ... Good Luck and K.I.S.S.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccb17 View Post
Yes, this exactly.

I'll add the the change you choose is going to be difficult. Any change that significantly alters your life will be difficult at least part of the time. If it was easy, you'd have done it years ago.

One thing I had to do before I made a big change was get my head in the right place. I took a long time to do it, and I did it like it was my job. It does no good to make positive changes to your diet and physiology if your head is still filled with all the negative stuff.

Looking over your post, you're focusing almost entirely on the negative-- you're saying what you can't do, what you can't stand, what you can't make work.

Please try to be positive! Try to think about what you'd like to have happen, and think about all the good things that are going to come from your choices. If you don't, any menu plan is going to be miserable and hard.

Good luck!
^^^This! I was just reminded of a quote that has stuck with me: "If you want big changes you've got to make big changes". Sorry, don't remember the author...
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

I did pretty well today except for a few (ok more than a few) cashew nuts.

There's something about Planters and only Planters cashew nuts that makes me need to keep eating them. (I know, don't buy them.) To me they have always tasted sweet. I think they must roast them in a little sugar without telling anyone.

I'll be extra good tomorrow to make up for the cashews I had today. I'm also trying to force down the water. Blah. I'm just not that thirsty.

That's another thing that sabotaged me on any diet I've ever been on except that one I alluded to earlier that didn't require any certain amount of water. I know I'm being a big (very big) baby.

It doesn't want to go down, but I'm drinking it.