Old 04-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyLiz
Stats: pregnant
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: April 3, 2011
Too much cheese?

So I was wondering....

what are your experiences with cheese? does it stall you if you eat too much? the reason i absolutely LOVE this way of eating is because it allows full-fat cheese, which is my favorite food! I just can't get enough! I probably eat more cheese than meat most days. Every meal has cheese, and I often heat cheese in the microwave or fry it in coconut oil to make "crackers" or mini-pizza crusts.

I just realized this today, but every breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack has CHEESE in it....is this a bad thing?
AmyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
It doesn't stall me in the traditional sense but let's just say that magnesium becomes my new BFF if I overdo it
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Too much dairy does tend to stall me, but I haven't pinpointed why yet.

Calories are one possibility. Cheese/hwc can add a lot of calories over the course of the day.

If I am eating a lot of dairy, it is usually in the form of lc "treats" such as mock danish, chocolate mousse, an extra cup of coffee with hwc.

Sometimes, I probably have too many side dishes heavy in dairy (mashed cauliflower with cream cheese, shredded cheese and hwc!)

Anyway, yes, I noticed a correlation between stall in weight loss and how much dairy I eat.

No Fat Summer Challenge - Goal: 175 by Summer

March 1 - 205 (going on a vacation in February)
April 1 - 195
May 1 - 187
June 1 - 180
June 21 - 175
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
I too am a cheese-aholic! I realized last week I didn't have much and lost 5 pounds! Made me wonder!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

hmmm maybe i'll have to experiment with downsizing my cheese intake and see if i get any whooshes
Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I think Atkins limits cheese to 3-4 oz. a day??
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
cheese can be a staller IF u overdo the quantities.

I see to it that I do not. No more than the 4 oz specified in DANDR'S Induction chapter. If u have trouble sticking to the limit, it would be better to skip it for a while, as a daily or a regular part of your plan, and allow yourself your fave cheese on a special occasion. When I do hit a plateau, cheese is 1 of the 1st things i omit until the scale god is ready to play ball again. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
AmyLiz, it doesn't matter too much what others' experience is. you seem to be doing 50 grams of carbs a day which is more than most of us could eat and maintain, let alone lose. so maybe the cheese won't be a problem for you. just look at your loss rate and when it's too slow, try cutting back the cheese.

jeaniem points out what Atkins says, but you aren't doing Atkins, so it's really not relevant, I think.

good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Me too. I limit my dairy products. I try to use the lower calorie cheeses and I use half and half instead of hwc. I also have to watch calories so this was what I cut down on and it has made a big difference.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
AmyLiz, it doesn't matter too much what others' experience is. you seem to be doing 50 grams of carbs a day which is more than most of us could eat and maintain, let alone lose. so maybe the cheese won't be a problem for you. just look at your loss rate and when it's too slow, try cutting back the cheese.

jeaniem points out what Atkins says, but you aren't doing Atkins, so it's really not relevant, I think.

good luck!

I realize that we all have different reactions....i was just curious since i noticed the seemingly outrageous amt. of cheese i am consuming daily. i am going to keep an eye on it and see what happens. i don't really want to change much already unless it was something serious since i just started doing LC a few weeks ago.

I just hate being a newbie at things. I'll be happy when i can "settle in"
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enna1477
Stats: 255/145/160
WOE: Self designed LC
Start Date: November 2010
I'm a cheese fiend too but after reading some of the threads here and on other low carb sites and seeing other people's experiences with cheese I dramatically cut it from my menu. I really don't know if it made a difference as I've been clipping along for nearly 6 months with pretty steady losses that didn't seem to increase once I decreased the cheese. Still, as a cheese lover, I even more appreciate cheese when it's an enhancement associated with a meal instead of the focus of the dish.

I'd suggest cutting your cheese comsumption by half and seeing if you're both satisfied and losing weight. So much of this is trial and error to see what works for you!
enna1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
If I have problems, it's only because of the calorie count. I'm losing now while eating cheese--but I do have to watch that and nuts (especially peanuts) if I find I'm not losing.
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
I am not sure it stalls me, but if I have a little cheese on something, then I start to crave it and my portion grows out of hand. Cheese is calorically dense and frankly i don't think I will ever eat it reasonably so I really try avoid eating it. It is a YMMV kind of thing, but some odd ones like me crave it so badly that I can't keep consumption in check.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Hi AmyLiz…
I probably noramlly eat 3-5 ounces cheese a day, and some days more, and have for 2 ˝ yrs. Don't know that it stalls me since I only weigh once a year. I suspect not...I don't consciously avoid it, but I eat less now than before.

I ate a lot more cheese per day after I finished induction a couple years ago, but these days I exercise other choices. Not because I'm afraid of the cheese, but because there are so many great really-low-carb choices of things to nibble on!

One thing we do is buy semi-fancy cheeses to nibble-on, and I have no issues with portion control. Part of the reason I think I don't have portion issues is we keep a lot of kinds of foods on hand, so I always have a lot of choices.

If I'm doing low-carb for life, there is no way I'd stay on-plan if I had to not have certain good low carb food around for fear of binges. I made up my mind day-one there would be no need to binge.

So we keep all kinds of food on hand - both staples and snack foods. I limit myself to a snack a day, and buy these foods in bulk.

I know how much is 2 oz of nuts, how much a serving of yogurt is, how many carbs in low carb candy etc. And I just stop when I reach my chosen limit so I don't exceed my daily carb limit.

Since I only eat when I'm hungry, and since string cheese will kill knock hunger out quickly, sometimes it's a piece of string cheese instead of going hungry.

Other times it's a bite of homemade full-fat yogurt, some bacon, or some fridge fudge, or perhaps a one minute muffin or a shake if I'm a bit hungrier than a piece of cheese or fridge-fudge will knock out.

You are still a fledgling, but you'll figure it out if you are going to succeed.

Hope this contributes to the discussion...

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mishka68
Stats: 195/139/135 -- 5'1" tall (or short)
WOE: Low-carb, Gluten-free, Grain-free
Start Date: Since 2008 - started @ 195lbs.
I was eating a ton of cheese and nuts...and stalled. Now I keep my cheese intake to 100 calories a day or less, and limit my nut intake to 2 ounces or less in a day, mostly in the form of raw almonds...YUM! I really like those mini babybel LIGHT cheese thingies...but I take them out of the fridge about half an hour before I eat them because it really enhances the flavor to eat it at room temp as opposed to cold.
It's all a matter of fiddling with things until you find what works for you.

Some people do really well on high fat, very low carb with no regard to calories...that works for me in very short spurts, but over the long haul, I actually do better with watching across the board, just eating clean, usually in the range of 30 carbs a day.

YMMV

Before & After - click here for full size pic - I'm the one in the wheelchair.
My Blog - Fake It Til You Make It
Facebook
Twitter
Fit into a size 8 jeans...remembering back to when I could not fit a size 18 over my hips!
Mishka68 is offline   Reply With Quote