LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jooser
Stats: 188/152/164 (current)/135
WOE: Atkins <25 net carbs
Start Date: January 2008, new start 1/28/11
Induction vs. <20 grams/day?

Do you think that there is a difference in the weight that you can lose doing a strict Induction 2 week period vs. a 2 week period in which you eat 20 grams or less of Net carbs?

I realize that Induction is 20 grs (net) or less, but now although I am eating at Induction level carbs-I now include things that I didn't eat while doing a clean or strict Induction. ex: berries, LC Peanut butter, cottage cheese, etc. still staying under 20 grams.

So, what are the thoughts on this? Has anyone noticed that they lose more on a true Induction diet vs just keeping carbs around 20?

Thanks,
Heather

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2012
I think I do lose more on induction foods vs. 20 carbs (with other foods added). Some of the non-induction foods are more likely to stall me - more cheese, nuts, legumes, etc. I am past induction now and only keeping to 20-25 carbs per day nonetheless because a slightly slower loss is better than boredom and hatred of this WOE (which I probably would develop on induction only foods after too long).
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
I'm doing Protein Power--30 carbs per day regardless. I found I actually lost more this way than doing strict Induction at 15-20 on Atkins. I think it's a personal thing and depends on how your particular body will react. On the other hand, my brother lost a ton of weight--and he wasn't even watching carbs--just cutting out white stuff like sugar/flour/potatoes. He lost a lot more that first two weeks than I did in a few months.
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: granolamom
Stats: HW:241 SW:236/212.6/145
WOE: Atkins <20g net carb/clean eating
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
I'm not seasoned yet in this WOL, what I did is I did induction for 3 months and starting this month I started adding in some coconut flour (just once), shredded coconut & some nuts.
Still keeping under 20 net carbs a day though. So far my weight loss is moving like it was on just induction level foods.
granolamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisahere
Stats: 298/170/150
WOE: Clean Atkins:)
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
Do you think that there is a difference in the weight that you can lose doing a strict Induction 2 week period vs. a 2 week period in which you eat 20 grams or less of Net carbs?

I realize that Induction is 20 grs (net) or less, but now although I am eating at Induction level carbs-I now include things that I didn't eat while doing a clean or strict Induction. ex: berries, LC Peanut butter, cottage cheese, etc. still staying under 20 grams.

So, what are the thoughts on this? Has anyone noticed that they lose more on a true Induction diet vs just keeping carbs around 20?

Thanks,
Heather
imo

the cleaner the faster. you do what works for you...
pb, berries...all those weren't worth it to me.
if i left the carby stuff out....wooosh
Lisahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
I do much better sticking with Induction AND keeping it at less than 20 total carbs (when I do "net" I just don't lose. I know all the science behind fiber-doesn't, but somehow my metabolism just doesn't agree)

Every time I try to add in something like small quantities of berries or more cheese, I either stall or gain.
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cuthbert
Stats: 265/199/200
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: December 2010
This is the point that Taubes makes about genetics and insulin resistance. Some can afford less strict carb counts and some can only get so low even though they obsess about everything. The vast majority of the folks here have bodies that seriously resist giving up fat reserves for a myriad of reasons. Going as clean as you can should net the best results, but at a certain point I think it's finding out what works the best for you and being honest about those observations.

Oh, and drink lots of water!
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I believe the reason for the limited list of foods for induction is four-fold, over and above the 20 gram net carb limit.

the first reason is what you refer to. perhaps some people will have a harder time getting into ketosis with carbs from other sources than the induction list. this is what you are referring to.

the second: it's a matter of conditioning both the mind AND the body to low carb eating. a very limited induction list, at the beginning when people have that diet zeal, gets them used to the whole idea and therefore more likely to succeed.

third, people aren't used to counting carbs and might make mistakes left to their own devices. the induction list is pretty idiot proof.

but MOST IMPORTANTLY, fourth: the first bit of time, before ketosis kicks in and cuts hunger and cravings, people can eat a TON of food!!! better it be mostly meat and other truly limited carb foods. if they had almonds on the list in the first week, how many people would find they had polished off a pound in the first three days? LOL

for people already IN ketosis, who know how to carefully count carbs, I don't think it usually makes a difference. but the sense you are eating "cleaner" can be good for your mind, I guess, a sort of rededication to it.