Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut View Post
OK, there is one in every crowd and I guess I am it on this thread. I just don't like mayo. It has the taste and texture of stale Miracle Whip. (You know, the stuff around the sides of an old jar of Miracle Whip).

So I just eat Miracle Whip. Good ole Miracle Whip. I probably don't eat 2 tablespoons a month, so I just don't worry about it.
It's all so interesting! I'm one who has never even tasted Miracle Whip! We grew up on Best Foods and I remember never being a mayo-lover, ya know, back in the low-fat days. But now I'm finding many flavorful uses for it AND losing. yay.

So, does Miracle whip just taste like a sweeter version of mayo?
mrsitaly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsitaly View Post
It's all so interesting! I'm one who has never even tasted Miracle Whip! We grew up on Best Foods and I remember never being a mayo-lover, ya know, back in the low-fat days. But now I'm finding many flavorful uses for it AND losing. yay.

So, does Miracle whip just taste like a sweeter version of mayo?
Not so much sweeter. Just more tart. Maybe a little more vinegary. Not near as oily. Hard to describe.
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Here's ingredients in Hellman's Canola Mayo it does have some egg yolk but not a lot:

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CANOLA OIL**, VINEGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH**, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS+, SUGAR, SALT, LEMON JUICE, XANTHAN GUM**, (SORBIC ACID**, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, DL ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), PHOSPHORIC ACID**, NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID**, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, BETA CAROTENE** (FOR COLOR). GLUTEN-FREE.
...and here are the ingredients in Best Foods (same as Hellman's) regular mayo. I think I would rather do without the modified corn starch and things for a little higher Omega-6 amount. I think the Olive oil version had some funky things in it too

INGREDIENTS: SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), NATURAL FLAVORS.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I may just have to try and make some homemade this weekend. I just bought six dozen fresh eggs and I have quite a bit of bacon grease saved. I also have 5 gallons of homemade rendered lard, wonder if that would work.

Time to dig out the brand-new unopened Cusinart food processor that I just had to have years ago but never used and is now somewhere in my basement.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Let us know how it goes! And how long does something home-made like that last? I guess I'm also still not over the whole raw egg thing either.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
I've tried to like Miracle Whip, honest, I really have but it's too sweet for me. Guess I'm a Best Foods (Hellman's) person.
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
Canola Oil
"Here are just a few facts everyone should know before buying anything containing canola. Canola is not the name of a natural plant but a made-up word, from the words 'Canada' and 'oil.' Canola is a genetically engineered plant developed in Canada from the Rapeseed Plant, which is part of the mustard family of plants. "
also
"Rapeseed oil is poisonous to living things and is an excellent insect repellent. I have been using it ... to kill the aphids on my roses for the last two years ... it suffocates them."
There's more at that site. Read the whole article.

I do not use it on purpose myself.
Ella5
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Not sure how long it will last, probably not long. My eggs came from a local farmer so I'm hoping the risk of food poisoning is lower.

I'm looking at a recipe for homemade mayo in a food processor cookbook I have and it states that it will be thinner than commercial made. I'm wondering if I could add a bit of glucomannan to it. I calls for 1 cup olive oil, which I will use, and 1 cup corn or peanut oil but I'm going to use bacon grease or lard.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #39
Plastic Wrap Ninja

Gallery: BigBravesGirl
Stats: 397 / 330.2 / 2??
WOE: Biggest Loser Challenge
Start Date: Feb 8, 2014
Dukes mayo ingredients: Soybean oil, eggs, water, distilled and cider vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.
BigBravesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBravesGirl View Post
Dukes mayo ingredients: Soybean oil, eggs, water, distilled and cider vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.

I've never seen Duke's in the regular stores where I shop. I'll have to check it out on the internet and see where I can get it.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBravesGirl View Post
looks good and very similar to Best Foods. We just don't get Duke's here on the West Coast...Unless someone can tell me where?

best Foods does have sugar on their ingredient list, but it hasn't affected me
Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsitaly View Post
looks good and very similar to Best Foods. We just don't get Duke's here on the West Coast...Unless someone can tell me where?

best Foods does have sugar on their ingredient list, but it hasn't affected me
I live in AZ and we don't have it either. I just checked their website and they ship!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
I live in AZ and we don't have it either. I just checked their website and they ship!
Fabulous! Okay, I would NEVER hear the end of it from DH if I started ordering my mayo online.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Butterflymama
Stats: 196/185.5/135
WOE: Atkins/Stillman's
Start Date: 01/22/12, restart yet again
I have to give two thumbs up to Follow Your Heart Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise. I was VERY skeptical at first, as it is pricey and I've tried other "healthier" mayo brands and hated them, but even though this stuff isn't exactly like Hellman's/Best Foods, it is the best tasting mayo I've found. I will not eat regular mayo because of the things mentioned here, but I don't have the inclination to make my own, so this is a great solution for me. You can buy the small jar of it to try it out before you make the commitment to the big jar.
Butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Simille
Stats: 275/228.4/130
WOE: Bacon, bacon, bacon!
Start Date: Restart March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
I think Duke's is a primarily Southeastern thing--definitely regional. If you move to the Carolinas they include a jar of it with your sweet t ea and magnolia tree!
Simille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I'd rather eat canola oil than soy oil any day. I make a great mayo using avocado oil. creamy and smooth--adding a touch of whey drained from yogurt helps preserve it in the fridge for a long time.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PandaReina
Stats: 272.8/248.5/169 - 42 & 5' 8 1/2"
WOE: Atkins + Slow Burn + Swimming
Start Date: 3/21/2011
Quote:
I love the Hellman's Canola oil mayo. I bought a jar of the Spectrum Canola oil mayo the other day and it is really not good at all, it's destined for the trash Monday morning.
LOL! I did the same thing. I was thinking I was being all healthy ... but I cannot stand the taste. My jar will join yours in the garbage.
PandaReina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laffin
Stats: 329.8/215.8/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/7/2011
Miracle Whip is just gross. I love Hellmann's but my local Stop & Shop has their own version which tastes just as good and costs less so I always get that. I've tried Hellmann's Olive Oil mayo (less calories) and it's good but not as good as the original.
laffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbWannabe
Stats: 177.4/174.4/116 (5'1")
I make my own mayo with avocado oil. It's really easy and only takes about 5-7 minutes to make. I'm not supposed to have processed foods so I can't buy store bought mayo.
LowCarbWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I like Hellmans mayo but cant find it here much so I use the Best Foods...it is good...I use only mayo as my salad dressing ...all the time...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nanberrycritter
Stats: 315/283/135 5'5" age 42 (scale-free since Dec)
WOE: LC primal + raw dairy
Start Date: ketogenic since Dec 20, 2010
Quote:
Not sure how long it will last, probably not long. My eggs came from a local farmer so I'm hoping the risk of food poisoning is lower.

I'm looking at a recipe for homemade mayo in a food processor cookbook I have and it states that it will be thinner than commercial made. I'm wondering if I could add a bit of glucomannan to it. I calls for 1 cup olive oil, which I will use, and 1 cup corn or peanut oil but I'm going to use bacon grease or lard.
If you're using lard or bacon grease your mayo will be thicker than regular mayo. No need to add glucomannan.

I made a batch of mayo with avocado oil & bacon grease. The consistancy was great but I didn't like it. The bacon flavor was off putting and it gave me heartburn. I'm going to try again soon with olive oil and ghee. I got the recipe from marksdailyapple.com .

Here's a tip for anyone making mayo with an immersion blender. Alternate the finger holding down the button when your slowly adding the oil. It took many weeks for me to regain the feeling in my fingertip. Even now it still feels a little off. It's my mayo-making injury! Who knew mayo-making was so dangerous?
nanberrycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:43 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinlove56 View Post
I like Hellmans mayo but cant find it here much so I use the Best Foods...it is good...I use only mayo as my salad dressing ...all the time...

Best Foods is Hellman's. It's just a difference of West vs. East with, I believe, the Mississippi River being the dividing line or somewhere near that from what I've heard. Same mayo. I'm not sure why a company would do that and have 2 different names for the same thing but they did.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
...I'm not sure why a company would do that and have 2 different names for the same thing but they did.
Hi Terry…
Marketing and/or absorption.

When companies acquire other companies they don't always change the name because of a good history, and sometimes people in different parts of the country respond to different names.

Hardee's and Carl's Jr - same thing.

Kroger grocers is another example.
The chain of stores are marketed under the names of King's Soopers, City Market, Bell Markets, Fred Meyer, Dillons, Fry's, Food 4 Less, Loaf-n-Jug, Pay Less, Ralphs, Owen's, Scott's, JC, Hilander, Smith's and Turkey Hill. All the same company…

The nice thing is their products are then widely available to us when we travel, and we love their CarbMaster Yogurts.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeLove
WOE: Just low carb
If you have a Whole Foods near you they have an expeller pressed canola oil mayo - their 365 brand. Here are the ingredients:
Expeller pressed canola oil, whole eggs and egg yolks, distilled vinegar, water, salt, sugar *, lemon juice (from concentrate), natural flavors, paprika oleoresin

* Provides an insignificant amount of sugars per serving.
BeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I'm w Lynne, Larry and Jo. and don't forget that stress is bad for you!!

This is not about mayo but you can fit anything in the slot; My daughter is the front end manager of a large food co op.
Since the disaster in Japan and threat of radiation poisoning, potassuim iodide has flown off he shelves....
A woman approached her last week and was angry that my daughter did not come forth w an encyclopedia of information on the subject.
My daughter said; I choose to live my life as stress free as possible and my family does not want to be the only ones left standing after a disaster.

The woman was so pissed. All that anger must have been doing tons of damage.

My daughter sometimes reminds me of how political our own household was whether it was food, chemicals, feminism.....

When she was 10, she cried when Reagan was elected!!
No wonder she has chosen to get uninvolved w every problem......

She chooses Best Foods/Hellman's.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh and just the other day, I whizzed up CO/EVOO mayo and it ruined my tuna salad.
I will never do that again. If I make my own, I'll use canola. If!!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
My son and I go through LOTS of mayo! I usually buy Kraft or store brand; recently started thinking about the soybean/canola oil issue.

I bought some grapeseed & peanut oils very cheaply at an Asian market. I like using them for mayo & frying; I haven't bought canola oil for a while.

I was excited about grapeseed oil (and it's AWESOME for skin), but just looked up the PUFAs & inflammation factor; much higher than peanut oil. If you don't have allergies, peanut oil seems like a pretty good option. It's not expensive or too hard to find. Plus, the fact that I can find oil on the top of my jar of peanut butter just makes it seem like a much less scary, mysteriously-processed product!

Avocado oil is brilliant!
But I just compared a bunch of oils & now I'm fascinated by rice bran oil...I hope my Asian market carries that!!!

Rice Bran Oil, Nutritional Data, ban trans fat link
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Anout that oil killing insects; Any oil grease will suffocate insects. That's why vaseline works on ticks.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Best Foods is Hellman's. It's just a difference of West vs. East with, I believe, the Mississippi River being the dividing line or somewhere near that from what I've heard. Same mayo. I'm not sure why a company would do that and have 2 different names for the same thing but they did.
yep - same deal with Knudsen's and Breakstone. I grew up on Knudsen's dairy products on the West Coast
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Love you guys but I am going to forget I ever read this thread. I don't think I could lowcarb without Hellman's mayo. Someday on my tombstone I suppose it will say "She ate a LOT of mayo".
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote